Critical Miss: #37

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

You may have been a little hard on Reach, but you were right on the money about the fucknuts that populate Xbox live- that part was hilarious!

Anyone who was going to buy it already has. Still, this amuses me.

I hate it when a story gets in the way of good gameplay and action

oh wait nvm

When in doubt, sit in a huge chair wearing a robe and sip wine.

I've been a long time Halo hater but I got Reach from Gamefly and I'm very pleased with it. I liked the story and haven't had any shrieking children. The difficulty thing is spot on though. And it's not Halo 3 with jet packs, it's Halo 3 with sprint (thank god).

Ah, Erin. I too enjoy sitting in my comfy chair, wearing my comfy robe, with a glass full of rodent and a heart full of hate. Also, ostriches are severely under-represented in games. Where's the love?

The only thing lacking is the mention of the handgun being returned to its former state (or so I heard in John Funk's review), which means that it could probably kill God with half a magazine.

Celtic_Kerr:
I died at the "Fuck you and your children" part.

And I loved the muse quote as well

Second.

I think this was my favorite strip so far. Pretty much every panel was filled with hilarity. Heheh, "Skullbert."

Heh, the difficulty settings are about right. Though Legendary is laughable easy if you go the plasma pistol + magnum/battle rifle route.

First run through I just played it like Doom. See enemies, shoot them. Look for more enemies to shoot. Rinse and repeat. I quite enjoyed it that way.

If anything a BIG step up from ODST. That was just... I didn't like it, let me say that much.

Regardless on the overall feelings of the comic.
The Difficulty settings definitely got me laughing.

They need more difficulties like that screen.
Absolutely humorous.

TLatshaw:
Instead of punching ostriches and wearing a jetpack, you should be able to punch people from your mount on a jetpack-wearing ostrich.

Instant 5% increase on Metacritic, guaranteed.

One word: "Joust".

Although technically it isn't a first-person game, and it's more like a long pointy thing rather than a punchy thing.

TheMadDoctorsCat:

TLatshaw:
Instead of punching ostriches and wearing a jetpack, you should be able to punch people from your mount on a jetpack-wearing ostrich.

Instant 5% increase on Metacritic, guaranteed.

One word: "Joust".

Although technically it isn't a first-person game, and it's more like a long pointy thing rather than a punchy thing.

But of course. You don't see anyone complaining about there being too many Joust titles out there. If you're going to put Ostrich-like creatures in your game, you might as well go for it.

I love this comic, as usual.

Maybe it's just me, but I haven't experienced the level of children that I used to in halo 3

*snicker* Ostrich-punching and shrieking teenage shitcrickets. I wasn't expecting that first one, but hey, it's Halo we're talking about. Multiplayer is pretty much the only point it's ever had. Too bad Microsoft is still going to bank off of it, though. I was expecting better.

I like Skullbert better then the actual name i was given. Also Funny. I liked how you basically said the EXACT same thing my Fanboy Friend said about Reach lol.

I thoroughly agree with every point you've made...I still liked the game, but that doesn't mean I can't poke holes in it's many, many flaws. Plus, Fuck you and your children - HA! AND THEN they make a shitcricket achievement out of completing it by yourself in Legendary mode...the whole point of that mode was to put some challenge in the co-op campaign! It shouldn't be played alone! You'll end up ramming something pointy and hard through your very expensive new TV!

I am often called a Newish Digger Maggot by screaming pre-pubescent.... Bankers.

when I finished reading this comic all I thought was, "Oh hey... it's this trend again..."

Newish Digger Maggot is being added to my speech patterns as I type.

You know, maybe I'm incredibly lucky, or just don't play enough, but I almost never encounter the shrieking swearing preteens that you hear so much about. Hell, most people don't even wear headphones. In several years of playing, I think I could count on my fingers the number of truly unpleasant people I've encountered on Xbox Live. And there was an easy solution for dealing with that. It's called the Mute feature.

meh, I like Halo, and I am loving this game. Jorge was awesome, too....

and lol @ that Muse quote. that song does have the greatest video ever.

The Difficulty sounds like something i would expect to be in Duke Nukem Forever.

Punching Ostriches was the only part of Halo Reach I liked too...

Xbox Live isn't all full of obnoxious preteen jockstrap jockeys. It's just Halo, Call of Duty and Gears of War.

Any game that skews to an older demographic - Street Fighter for instance - is full of 35-year-old grognards who will amiably chat with you as they pound your face into the dirt. It takes the sting out of losing.

Robyrt:
Xbox Live isn't all full of obnoxious preteen jockstrap jockeys. It's just Halo, Call of Duty and Gears of War.

Any game that skews to an older demographic - Street Fighter for instance - is full of 35-year-old grognards who will amiably chat with you as they pound your face into the dirt. It takes the sting out of losing.

We must be playing a different Street Fighter. I'm playing IV and it's full of trash talking, rage quitting, douchelords.

Grey Carter:

Robyrt:

We must be playing a different Street Fighter. I'm playing IV and it's full of trash talking, rage quitting, douchelords.

See, there you go. I was playing HD Remix. 14-year-old Jason generally lacks the intelligence to download an XBLA game that isn't on the welcome page, let alone play it in an era before the SF4 arcade sticks were in stores.

Great comic, once again. It always baffled me just how bad (and short!) the stories seemed to be in Halo games, especially in this day and age when I can go pick up a title like Dragon Age and actually be interested in it for literally hundreds of hours. Did you know the original plan for Halo: Reach was to have seven members of Noble Team? I don't think I could handle such a large amount of failed character growth.

Also, Muse is my favorite band. So props for that.

I actually haven't had any unpleasant screaming occur in my ear. I think it was because I prioritized it so that it would give me games with people who don't rape my eardrums. Although humorous this comic was rather unnecessarily harsh. Also I know for a fact that you remember Kat.

Silly Critical miss, Jetpacks belong on the GOOD side.

OT: Funny as all hell, Well done.

*Standing ovation*

Seriously, i laughed all the way through this one

thefreeman0001:
who the hell buys a halo game for its story? or a CoD game for that matter. they'd mkae more money making the multiplayer component even more polished.

...me? i like the story.
read the books too.

but it's cool, everyone likes somethings and hates other things.

Excellent. :)

Ironically enough, with the help of a friend yesterday (and on my first playthrough, excluding the beta), I beat the game on 'F*ck you and your children' difficulty :P
Edit: and the space part was fun imo :D

It's funny how many people played halo reach and were surprised to find that it's a halo game. That's actually what i was expecting going in, and i was pretty happy with it.

A shooter is a shooter thats all it is, the usual stuff that changes changed.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here