VGMarketSurvey Winners Announced, More Winners To Be Chosen

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

chemicalreaper:

The member profiles are very suspicious -- March 2010 and July 2010. Seems very likely that those two accounts could have easily been planted by the staff to try and provide a thread of legitimacy to the whole VGMS scam.

This is utter and complete crap. If you have a problem, feel free to PM me about it but spreading completely false lies I will not condone on this site, especially when it brings The Escapist name into it.

Anyone else choosing to call this a scam (which it's not), keep it to yourself or you will be banned for trolling.

For those of you not getting surveys, don't worry, that will come. It just depends on what clients are doing research on which demographics in different geographic locations. Over time, you will get more and more surveys but sometimes it takes patience.

sune26:
Same here I have signed up the day The Escapist posted this and yet not even a single survey. However my battle.net account did get hacked twice and my hotmail suddenly started sending out messages to my contacts containing only a link.

Edit: Also this may only be for me but I was not able to delete my account it just took me to the overview instead of deleting the account.

I haven't signed up for surveys but I get them emails too, even though I don't even have a battle.net account.

Consider it somebody else's PC has the virus and you were on their contact list and it farmed you. Is this the same problem as the postmaster message failed attempt?

I have been sent a few surveys though but a lot more spam and I think my steam account was hacked but I fixed that.
The users do look a little fishy, other users can't help it if they feel a bit suspicious about this whole site, these sorts of sites that require you to enter a lot of personal data are dangerous and people can't help it if they feel suspicious about it

I think banning someone was unnecessary though

I feel somewhat disappointed in this. I signed up for this the day they featured it on the escapist and I haven't had a survey since. I knew surveys are targeted to certain demographics but this had been over a month now. Today I clicked on the redeem rewards button to get that free music CD and it said that my account has been suspended on suspicion of fraud. I have no idea why it has been and why I was never notified of this beforehand. I have sent in a complaint but who knows what is going to happen or when.

Spinwhiz:
For those of you not getting surveys, don't worry, that will come. It just depends on what clients are doing research on which demographics in different geographic locations. Over time, you will get more and more surveys but sometimes it takes patience.

QFT

I still can't believe how many people here burst off into conspiracy theories over this.

To give a bit of information I'm from the USA, so perhaps as people say the surveys are more USA-centric. That could be why some of you else where in the world are having a much slower time finding surveys due to the demographics not being just right for you. You just need patience and don't view it as a money maker or a free paycheck. I look at it as free coins for filling out surveys (which I like doing already) during my spare time.

Urgh I wish I never got involved with this whole thing >_<

All it's done is make me paranoid. I was signed up for weeks and didn't get one survey, I just gave away all my info for free.

Dexiro:

All it's done is make me paranoid. I was signed up for weeks and didn't get one survey, I just gave away all my info for free.

Why are you paranoid? As I've stated previously, just because you don't have a survey to take yet does not mean you aren't going to get any. It could be a number of reasons, which is why they ask for different information when you sign up. Just give it time, you'll get surveys to take.

garbage8:
I feel somewhat disappointed in this. I signed up for this the day they featured it on the escapist and I haven't had a survey since. I knew surveys are targeted to certain demographics but this had been over a month now. Today I clicked on the redeem rewards button to get that free music CD and it said that my account has been suspended on suspicion of fraud. I have no idea why it has been and why I was never notified of this beforehand. I have sent in a complaint but who knows what is going to happen or when.

If you are having problems with your account, visit this link: http://www.vgmarketsurveys.com/Contact.aspx and then click on the "Still having problems? If so, please click here to contact our support team." link. (If that isn't what you already did.)

Spinwhiz:

garbage8:

If you are having problems with your account, visit this link: http://www.vgmarketsurveys.com/Contact.aspx and then click on the "Still having problems? If so, please click here to contact our support team." link. (If that isn't what you already did.)

That is what I did, but thank you nonetheless. What I am most taken aback about is that there was never any notification that my account was suspended, so I have no idea how long it has been like that. But that isn't any of your control so I am just hoping that I get a response and a un-suspension(?) soon.

Edit: I was however able to download the music CD which I am enjoying.

Spinwhiz:
snip

I signed up and filled everything out :D

Just wondering, how do we link it to our profile? :l My real name isn't on my Escapist profile and I don't see how else you'd know who is who.

sky14kemea:

Spinwhiz:
snip

Just wondering, how do we link it to our profile? :l My real name isn't on my Escapist profile and I don't see how else you'd know who is who.

Did you use the link from our page? If so, you are good to go and it will automatically link you. If not, use this link to update them: http://www.vgmarketsurveys.com/Contact.aspx

Spinwhiz:

sky14kemea:

Spinwhiz:
snip

Did you use the link from our page? If so, you are good to go and it will automatically link you. If not, use this link to update them: http://www.vgmarketsurveys.com/Contact.aspx

I used the link from this page. Thanks for the reply =]

Basically...

Sod that.

Spinwhiz:
This is utter and complete crap. If you have a problem, feel free to PM me about it but spreading completely false lies I will not condone on this site, especially when it brings The Escapist name into it.

Anyone else choosing to call this a scam (which it's not), keep it to yourself or you will be banned for trolling.

Really? Then prove that this is legitimate compared to marketing scams. If you can, I'll stop "spreading completely false lies" (which, by the way, is a contradiction proving my original point -- a false lie is technically a truth... just sayin').

Otherwise -- if you can't prove that this is a legitimate service -- then not only are you lying, but you are also spreading 'false lies' by banning people who may be trying to prevent others from giving away deeply personal information in the hopes of receiving minimal financial compensation.

I fear that, because the escapist has such a solid fanbase, but a cynical one, anything like this, unless it's absolutely rock solid and watertight, is going to get picked apart pretty comprehensively.

I would state that it's entirely possible due to localising the demands of marketers that some people who sign up won't get any for a while and may not get many at all, whereas others may get overrun with them.

Personally, if I knew I could pull in about a quarter per survey, I'd go for it, but then anyone who knows me knows I'm offering my opinions at length for free on just about anything on the forums here anyways!

I just am slightly wary of the safety of my steam and wow accounts, as they're both years old, however I blame paranoia, not the Escapist.

However, to the above post, I'm not sure how Spinwiz or other Escapist employees could prove anything to you, anyone who was happy with the scheme would be dismissed as a company stooge, I feel, and I sense you've made your decision and will not move from it.

In essence, I'm undecided, but am reading this thread with the knowledge than people are about 10 times more likely to complain than compliment.

I'd say if this is working for you, let us know, I don't care if people are only clawing a couple of bucks from it, I just want to hear that it works and it's not a security risk.

To Mods, I hope I've offered a balanced opinion here.

No surveys and fake emails from [email protected] stating that there have been changes to my account. Since I use the authenticator, there is no physical way of this happening. Not really good.
Also, living in Hong Kong, I suspect that there won't be a single survey for me as it has been the state of things since the sign-up. Should have lied and registered as USA resident...

Spinwhiz:

I did that. Two times. They never bothered to answer. That's why I think it's not normal. First you block an account without informing the person who belongs to, then you don't answer to the e-mails sent to your contacts, ever. But you still let the user complete his profile and take polls (not surveys though).
The questions for the profile, were kind of worrying, on one side, they asked too much about your personal life that doesn't affect your gaming, on the other hand the gaming questions, were "wrong" like putting "nintendo" as a console (the wii or the ds are consoles, nintendo is a corporation).
In the end, when you ask to delete your account they say they keep the datas just in case "you may want to come back".

The thing that really struck me as suspicious is the fact that they never answered my mails, even though I wrote to them twice, because it seems to me that they're more interested in gathering datas than dealing with customers.
And even though you may ban and suspend people for your good reasons, Spinwhiz, it doesn't help much.
You may want to start to recognize that there are actually few problems with this company, you may want to talk about with them.

I haven't been on the site since I got my free music, and I haven't had anything hacked or anything bad happen.

chemicalreaper:

Spinwhiz:

Really? Then prove that this is legitimate compared to marketing scams. If you can, I'll stop "spreading completely false lies" (which, by the way, is a contradiction proving my original point -- a false lie is technically a truth... just sayin').

Otherwise -- if you can't prove that this is a legitimate service -- then not only are you lying, but you are also spreading 'false lies' by banning people who may be trying to prevent others from giving away deeply personal information in the hopes of receiving minimal financial compensation.

First, I don't have to prove anything but to put people's minds at rest, I will (see below). If people don't want to do it, then they don't have to. However, spreading false statements about how this is a scam is garbage and yes, I will ban anyone who starts spreading lies in this thread (or any other) without substantial FACTS about our partner. These negative opinions are just that, opinions and are not based on any fact and do nothing but harm reputation. This is considered trolling and is against our guidelines.

Here are some facts as to why this isn't a scam? Allow me to start:

1. VGMarket has already given out 2 prizes at random to members of The Escapist, each valued at $200

• Scams don't give anything back. That is why they are considered scams.
  2. VGMarket is giving away a digital CD within 48 hours of signing up. Every person that has signed up has received this music.

• Scams provide you with the false hope of attaining an item that will either never come or is a distant variation from what is promised. For example, a scam may say "Sign up to get a new pair of Oaklys." A scam will deliver a pair of Oakly sunglass to you, although people that don't read think they are getting a pair of Oakley sunglasses.
  3. VGMarket has stated that they won't sell your personal information. The information asked is used only to offer you the proper surveys and relay demographic information back to their clients.

• Scams will take all of your information and sell it to the highest bidder.
  4. VGMarket has stated up front that you won't get rich by taking surveys. To add a bit more fun to being a survey taker, there is always a chance to win prizes for participating.

• Scams will never come through on anything and you will never hear from that company again. VGMarket, as in my first statement, has already given out two prizes that have been verified. Each month they have a random prize and they are giving out a $500 prize pack to someone from The Escapist. Also, surveys can range from 10 cents all the way up to a couple dollars depending on the client. Ask around on the couple threads popping up and you will see verification of this from Escapist members. But please remember, sometimes it takes patience. Surveys depend completely on the client and what groups they are looking for research from.

How much more would you like? The Escapist would never enter into a partnership that didn't benefit everyone in some way while making absolutely sure it wouldn't harm our users. Plus, why would we enter into a partnership that could tarnish our reputation, thus pushing away the community we work so hard to keep happy with great content and events. Doesn't make much sense now does it?

stranamente:

Spinwhiz:

I did that. Two times. They never bothered to answer. That's why I think it's not normal. First you block an account without informing the person who belongs to, then you don't answer to the e-mails sent to your contacts, ever. But you still let the user complete his profile and take polls (not surveys though).
The questions for the profile, were kind of worrying, on one side, they asked too much about your personal life that doesn't affect your gaming, on the other hand the gaming questions, were "wrong" like putting "nintendo" as a console (the wii or the ds are consoles, nintendo is a corporation).
In the end, when you ask to delete your account they say they keep the datas just in case "you may want to come back".

The thing that really struck me as suspicious is the fact that they never answered my mails, even though I wrote to them twice, because it seems to me that they're more interested in gathering datas than dealing with customers.
And even though you may ban and suspend people for your good reasons, Spinwhiz, it doesn't help much.
You may want to start to recognize that there are actually few problems with this company, you may want to talk about with them.

Why would I ban you for that? You actually have a valuable experience (and complaint) in which I can bring back to them and get you an answer. The people who are getting banned are those who are just pulling "information" from out of the air and posting in the threads as fact.

I've been getting PMs about this survey for over 2 weeks now and the questions range, which is perfectly fine. As everyone will tell you, I always get back to them and do what I can to help solve the problem. So, I will ask that you please PM me so I can keep it in my records and please include the email you used when creating your account with them. I will send it over to our rep and see what we can do. Since you already created a ticket, it should be easy for them to find.

I'm getting a "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied" error when trying to access both the link here, and their main page. What's up?

wsmieszek:
No surveys and fake emails from [email protected] stating that there have been changes to my account. Since I use the authenticator, there is no physical way of this happening. Not really good.
Also, living in Hong Kong, I suspect that there won't be a single survey for me as it has been the state of things since the sign-up. Should have lied and registered as USA resident...

Since you have an authenticator, those are obviously phishing emails. Every WoW player gets them.

Galad:
I'm getting a "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied" error when trying to access both the link here, and their main page. What's up?

It may be that the site is info is being updated or the bandwidth is full. Give it 10 minutes and try again. If you are still having problems, drop me a PM please.

wsmieszek:

I got the same thing from Battle.net this week BEFORE I blindly filled in the info here - I think Blizzard's just been getting attacked, no fault of these guys, tbh.

That said, I like how US-centric some of the profile questions were - "Which [major US super-store chains] do you shop at?" "which US telecoms provider are you with?" "Which US broadband provider?" No university-level education, just 'some college'?

Current occupation: Student. Current employment info: -.-U

Really fills me with confidence.

Wicky_42:

wsmieszek:

I got the same thing from Battle.net this week BEFORE I blindly filled in the info here - I think Blizzard's just been getting attacked, no fault of these guys, tbh.

That said, I like how US-centric some of the profile questions were - "Which [major US super-store chains] do you shop at?" "which US telecoms provider are you with?" "Which US broadband provider?" No university-level education, just 'some college'?

They give surveys to an international audience. Why you got a survey if you aren't in the US is strange, and I will bring that up to them, but they do have clients around the world. It all depends on who their clients want to focus on.

Spinwhiz:

Dexiro:

Why are you paranoid? As I've stated previously, just because you don't have a survey to take yet does not mean you aren't going to get any. It could be a number of reasons, which is why they ask for different information when you sign up. Just give it time, you'll get surveys to take.

Yeah, what's with all the people saying it's a scam because they didn't get a survey? Probably the companies buying surveys (or however that works) are more US based. Maybe they'll be better about it in the future, maybe not. Either way that doesn't indicate it's a scam.

I've taken a few surveys, and have a couple dollars built up. I can't wait for the amazon voucher, because $10 is roughly the price of an album.

Spinwhiz:

Wicky_42:

wsmieszek:

They give surveys to an international audience. Why you got a survey if you aren't in the US is strange, and I will bring that up to them, but they do have clients around the world. It all depends on who their clients want to focus on.

It wasn't a survey - that was just filling in the profilling questions! How they expect to be able to profile an international audience with several sections that have no option for anyone outside the US I don't know - and by not being able to fill those in I'm most likely putting myself at a disadvantage for selection. Bah.

Wicky_42:

Spinwhiz:

Wicky_42:

wsmieszek:

It wasn't a survey - that was just filling in the profilling questions! How they expect to be able to profile an international audience with several sections that have no option for anyone outside the US I don't know - and by not being able to fill those in I'm most likely putting myself at a disadvantage for selection. Bah.

Again, something I can bring up to them for sure. Thank you for the feedback.

JerrytheBullfrog:

Since you have an authenticator, those are obviously phishing emails. Every WoW player gets them.

Fair enough. :) I just assumed the causality because never got those emails before and, as a matter of fact, am and was never a WoW player.

I hope that the international coverage will be resolved and we get the access to the surveys.

Spinwhiz:
(...)

Thanks for clarifying some of the issues :)

Spinwhiz:

Galad:

It may be that the site is info is being updated or the bandwidth is full. Give it 10 minutes and try again. If you are still having problems, drop me a PM please.

I remembered now and tried, a week after this post, and I still get the same error..

Galad:

Spinwhiz:

Galad:

I remembered now and tried, a week after this post, and I still get the same error..

Strange but good to know. Could you please PM me the email you have used to create your account (or would have it created with if you haven't had a chance to). From there I will email our rep directly.

Got two surveys so far, netted $.20. Never got the CD either, which is a bit disappointing. Haven't cancelled the account yet, but it's not winning me over.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.