Why David E. Kelley's Wonder Woman Must Succeed

Pages PREV 1 2

Fronzel:
I thought I read that in the really early days Superman was champion of "the little guy" against the powerful. Very Great Depression. He doesn't really do that any more, does he? More of a general, abstract "truth and justice" thing.

They sort of solidified a bit once they got out of the Golden age.

The problem is really that Wonder Woman has failed to develop any iconic villians/friends or other elements to build stories about her off of. She doesn't have anyone on the level of the Joker or Lex Luthor. Who does she have? Giganta? The Cheeta? Nobody friggin' cares. What kind of supporting cast does she have? Steve Trevor, who isn't even used anymore?

There's enough material for Wonder Woman herself, but she just doesn't have the storytelling infrastructure that Batman and Superman have.

thenamelessloser:
Step one- Cast Lucy Lawless.
Step two-???
Step three- Profit.

Pretty cool. that she actually did the voice of Wonder Woman in a Justice League cartoon movie.

Lawless might be too old for the role today though.

Off topic- Anyway, how was the Wonder Woman DCAU movie? I haven't seen that one...

Ugh, no. Look, I love Xena as much as the next gal, but let's all be honest for just a moment: Lucy Lawless can't act worth a damn. Plus, as you point out, she's too old for the role. That said, please, for the love of god, don't cast some 20-nothing waif so that she can run around half-naked.

My problem with Wonder Woman - the little of her I've seen over the years - is that she's never been as cool as the boys. She's never, ever struck me as being a badass, just the girl who tagged along and who also had some powers and toys. I couldn't tell you a single thing about what drives her, other than some vague notions of Right and Wrong. She's dull...at least what I've seen.

Which all just goes to further Elizabeth's point. I know of Wonder Woman, but I don't really know her, so in order for this new show to work, it needs to convince me that she is worth knowing. Tough job...but Kelly does have some mad skills. (Loooooved Boston Legal.)

cerebus23:
just as long as they do not get a skeleton with skin to play wonder woman i could tolerate whoever :P.

There's a fine line isn't there? I mean, look at the woman in Burn Notice, she is so thin it makes me feel a bit concerned for her, or Deborah in Dexter, and yet, Grace Park in Hawaii Five-O is ever so slightly bigger (and I mean ever ever so slightly) and I find her absolutely gorgeous. Although it could be the rockin bikinis, go figure.

We will probably end up with Megan Fox. Which might actually work out ok...maybe.

BloodSquirrel:

They sort of solidified a bit once they got out of the Golden age.

The problem is really that Wonder Woman has failed to develop any iconic villians/friends or other elements to build stories about her off of. She doesn't have anyone on the level of the Joker or Lex Luthor. Who does she have? Giganta? The Cheeta? Nobody friggin' cares. What kind of supporting cast does she have? Steve Trevor, who isn't even used anymore?

There's enough material for Wonder Woman herself, but she just doesn't have the storytelling infrastructure that Batman and Superman have.

I have to agree with this. Wonder woman has never been anywhere near as interesting as batman for me. The iconic villains is really what makes me come back to read about a hero and she just never had any. To be honest I'd actually prefer if they gave a more modern super heroine with the potential for good villains a show than base one on wonder woman. Someone like Robert Kirkman's Mecha Maid (I know she's not a main hero, but I could see her becoming one since Kirkman likes her so much).

Andy of Comix Inc:
This is going to sound flash-in-the-pan, but as a closet macrophile, the only reason I'm holding onto the hope that this will be good, is because I want Giganta to show up, in all her gigantic giantess-rage-induced glory, and wreck shit up. Call me shallow, call me a deviant, but that's what Wonder Woman has become for me. Giganta. A giant woman in a yellow jumpsuit knocking over buildings and threatening to eat protagonists.

How's that for an outsider's view eh?

Why is that deviant? How's this? 'Lesbian affair with Power Girl' 30 million viewers, easy :)

The most dangerous part of mass market's take on Wonder Woman is her sexuality and femininity. I can only think of one show in the past that's managed to pull off the whole strength and beauty thing in an amazonian context and that was Xena. Problem there is that Xena was camp where Wonder Woman is traditionally serious business.

It's going to take some amazing costume design and epic writers make Wonder Woman the serious and stoic version that comics have her out to be. Sad to say it but I don't think the Big Four are ready for The Big Three quite yet.

If you had asked who wonder woman was where I came from, I'm sure you would mostly get the reply "who?"

I seriously first became aware of her existance thanks to the escapist.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Sniper Team 4:

Can we PLEASE make a Teen Titans animated movie now? In the same vein and Batman/Superman: Public Enemies, Wonder Woman, and all the rest?

Uhm, you mean Teen Titans: Trouble in Tokyo?

No. I mean one with Wonder Girl in it, and with a darker feel to it like the movies I listed above. Don't get me wrong, I loved that TV show--own all the episodes on DVD--but I really want them to make a movie the same way they made one for Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, and all those others. I mean, even Captain Marvel has his own movie now.

WolfThomas:
I'd rather David Kelly made a She-Hulk/Doc Samson tv show, the idea of a Superhero lawyer and a Superhero pyschiatrist working in NYC would be funny and awesome. Plus we know he can do it, he made Boston Legal.

On a special effects note, it would be easier as neither can fly and super strength is easier to show than say shooting lightening, all you need is good costuming/makeup for her skin and his hair and you're done.

*points* That needs to be made. Now or soon-to-now.

aaronmcc:

Andy of Comix Inc:
This is going to sound flash-in-the-pan, but as a closet macrophile, the only reason I'm holding onto the hope that this will be good, is because I want Giganta to show up, in all her gigantic giantess-rage-induced glory, and wreck shit up. Call me shallow, call me a deviant, but that's what Wonder Woman has become for me. Giganta. A giant woman in a yellow jumpsuit knocking over buildings and threatening to eat protagonists.

How's that for an outsider's view eh?

Why is that deviant? How's this? 'Lesbian affair with Power Girl' 30 million viewers, easy :)

I don't know, I've always taken flack for my giantess fantasies. Maybe it just makes more sense in this sort of context!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.