Why Do We Love Nathan Fillion?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

In acting, he is a terrificly talented actor with just enough range to play anything from do-gooder hero to dastardly villain. He's believable as an action hero and a comedic writer. He is impeccable in his timing and can manage genuine pathos and vulnerability, making it all seem effortless.

He's a superstar waiting to happen.

Outside of acting, he's maintained and appears to be an all around great guy. He's fantastic with his fans and people in the media, he isn't your typical page six druggie idiot that runs around tying to get himself in the spotlight.

I had the pleasure of meeting him at a Castle event in Los Angeles last year while on business there. He took the crowd like a pro, never appeared smug or there to shill, but genuinely happy to be meeting folk. How did I hear about the event? Through his Twitter account. After the event he stayed on to sing a book for the impossibly long line of people, doing his best to give everyone time and a place to have a short chat with. He was kind, charming and impressive, just like his character of Castle.

In short, we love Nathan Fillion because he's a breath of old time Hollywood. A genuine man of the people with talent and charisma to spare. Chaplin described Douglas Fairbanks of having qualities that "men wanted to be, and women wanted to be with".

That, I think, sums up why we love Nathan Fillion.

Who doesn't like Nathan Fillion?
Comies, that's who!

This joke shamelessly stolen from BabyTea

Fasckira:
The guy is a hero. Enough said.

Big Damn Hero.
Duh.

Yes he is wonderful, love every character he has played, that I have seen. He was actually a selling point for my friends and I for buying ODST. We weren't going to get it, but then I saw the trailer that featured him and told my friends, they didn't believe me until I showed them, then it was an automatic buy for us.

AngelicSven:
Firefly.
Castle.
Halo ODST.
Nathan Drake.

I'm done.

Captain Hammer too, if you haven't seen Dr.Horrible's Sing Along Blog, you are missing out on the best musical ever. I hate musicals, but it was one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

Also, he even was in a small 3 or 4 minute section of Halo Reach. Which was awesome because it brought back the great ODST music for that section. And of course awesome because it is him and we get to hear Buck again. It was a pleasant surprise because I wasn't expecting it.

The reason I like him is he doesn't seem to have an ego, doesn't take himself too seriously, he's got a sense of humour, and isn't ashamed of doing Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Paranormal stuff like so many serious actors seem to be after their carers take off. Then there is the fact he puts his all into his roles, and looks like he is having the time of his life during each scene.

Yeah, I blame my friend on that. He got me into watching Firefly (great show, BTW. sucks they cancelled it).

He's Nathan Fillion. That's the only reason.

One word: Firefly.

Frank_Sinatra_:
As par for the course, I'm the only person here who probably hates Fillion. Not as an actor mined you, I just hate him because of his rabid and ridiculous fans... And his relationship to that over-hyped/over-praised western that happens to feature spaceships Firefly.

So it's... basically the Whedon connection, as in the "Sudden tidal wave of vague and unexplainable hatred for everyone who ever appeared in a Joss Whedon property after Whedon's most recent project was such an embarrassment, despite the popular and critical approval all his past projects have gotten" that's been so popular on the internet over the last year or so?
Over-hyped and over-praised eh? I assure you, I'm impressed with your fiercely independent spirit (TM) to stand up so bravely against a 13-episode show (of which I think about 5 ended up airing).

Well, you said it. You don't hate him per se. You hate those who would dare like something you don't. ...I mean his "rabid fans" &c.

I've hated every character I've seen him play. Firefly, Buffy, Doctor Horrible; liked the shows/internet musical but Fillion's characters always had me rooting for his downfall. Never played Halo ODST, but if his trend in characters is there, I'd probably spend time trying to shoot him in the head.

Now, if he's nothing like his characters, then I can greatly appreciate his acting talent at portraying a role so well that I'll outright hate it (probably not the intention as Mal, oh well).

Who the hell is Nathan Fillion?

I mean, I've obviosly seen some of his works but this is the first time I've heard his name.

I'm going to go with JLU, just to be different.

Whitenail:

What oher actor on earth?

What other actor on earth would dress in women's clothing?

All of them.

OT: He is a good actor with charm and great timing...and he is Captain Hammer.

You missed one...

Because he's better than Neil

Nautical Honors Society:

Whitenail:

All of them.

England alone would have an entire industry of Nathan Fillions if that was the only requirement.

Also: We're forgetting one thing: He was the other Private Ryan. The one whose spirit was crushed and ground into a fine powder by Tom Hanks in about 30 seconds total. Awesome.

Nautical Honors Society:

Whitenail:

All of them.

True, but I'd like to see Grahame Bond be able to say such classic lines as "I swear, by my pretty flowered bonnet, I will end you" on a wagon, on an alien planet, surrounded by bandits, with that utterly charming Nathan Filion smile and accent.

Nathan really is ruggedly handsome, isn't he?

Summerstorm:

Insane_Foxx:
Imagine for a second: a movie or show that has Nathan Fillion and Bruce Campbell - Pure Awesome

AND Christopher Walken

As they fight Cthulu and the Zerg.

OT:Because.... He's... *coughsexycough*

Whitenail:

Nautical Honors Society:

Whitenail:

All of them.

True, but I'd like to see Grahame Bond be able to say such classic lines as "I swear, by my pretty flowered bonnet, I will end you" on a wagon, on an alien planet, surrounded by bandits, with that utterly charming Nathan Filion smile and accent.

Well this may be true. Touche.

Summerstorm:
He rolled a 18 for charisma?

And then boosted it with class features, and +1 Tight Pants of Captain-y-ness.

Puddle Jumper:

You win. :D

He seems a little arrogant to me. But that's just, like, my opinion dude.

I compare Nathan Fillion to Portal: Pretty cool, but too coverd in fan spunk.

His voice is just generic and uninteresting enough to turn a boring character into a bland one.

To be less sarcastic, its more or less his voice is so standard that it lets other aspects of a character stand out more.

Why do we love him?

WE don't. YOU do.

He's not a great actor or anything, He just seems like a cool guy. Or that's why I like him.

Because he is epicly epic with a side of epic sauce? times 2?

Cuz he was awesome in Saving Private Ryan, Duh!

Puddle Jumper:

I wondered how long before someone came with that line :D

I know this is girl talk and I don't mean to interrupt, but when has he ever flown high? Sorry but Firefly doesn't qualify as "flying high." My guess: it is the right balance of testosterone and nurturing sensitive qualities, as well as being a flawed, tragic, and vulnerable figure as Cpt. Reynolds.

Insane_Foxx:

Summerstorm:

Insane_Foxx:
Imagine for a second: a movie or show that has Nathan Fillion and Bruce Campbell - Pure Awesome

AND Christopher Walken

Can't have that. the universe might rip itself up trying to comprehend the level of win in that.

Precisely my dear Watson.

Seriously though, that TV show would be so f***ing awesome my tv could spontaneously combust.

PureChaos:
he's Captain Malcolm Reynolds...he's AWESOME

Pretty much my reason. Of course, it wasnnt until I watched Firefly that I realized how prevalent his voice is in the latter Halo games. So there's that, too.

Firefly (with the help of TV Tropes) is also responsible for making me realize how fond I am of Adam Baldwin. I heard Jayne talk for the first time, and after about twenty minutes realized: "Hey! It's Kal'Reegar!" Really cool TV show + game I like too much = instant fandom.

Why?
Because Malcolm Reynolds!

James Joseph Emerald:

Fasckira:
The guy is a hero. Enough said.

Big Damn Hero.
Duh.

Indeed he is. You know, a good test for the importance of a work of fiction to the nerd community is to see whether it has named a trope.

Edit: I just realized that I mentioned TV Tropes in both of my posts. They weren't kidding when they said that TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life.

I feel so ashamed...

He is the most awesome of every awesome person in the world.
I started watching Castle, and I love it. I'm also getting Firefly because that's supposedly very good.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.