Daily Drop: Christmas Lights

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Christmas Lights

Daily Drop tries to decorate the drop zone a little bit.

Watch Video

...Were those lights still blinking after the bulbs broke? I thought it was "One light goes out, and they all go out."

Woah... shiny. *is memorized by the sparkling*

I'm going to have to remember not to drop my large old fashioned lights off a ladder onto a cement floor. I think I might get electrocuted.

MowDownJoe:
...Were those lights still blinking after the bulbs broke? I thought it was "One light goes out, and they all go out."

Only if the lights are wired in series, which most are. Some lights are wired in parallel, and usually state that on the box.

Guuuuyyss you're letting all the electricity out!

Loved the flash of the first one breaking and all the exposed glowing elements at the end. :)

That was pretty :)

MowDownJoe:

*Watches video, thinks of witty pun involving 1 light going out and having the rest go out. Clicks forums, scrolls down, sees first post. Cries*

Luckily the crowbar wasn't needed. We would need a new crowbar guy. x.x;

Yaaa, more lights being dropped. Not as cool as the footed lamp, but still great.

Shinny! X3

I love seeing the 60hz AC current phasing in action - this is my new favorite Drop ever.

What ? No crowbar action !? :D

I was thinking they would drop it again to break the other lights but looking at how Paul cringed as they dropped Ill let it slide :)

I think the first light to break was the best, a nice sharp pop of the light and current and the breaking of the glass. Tomorrow's drop should be interesting, some kind of mini tree thing. :D

CaptainCrunch:
I love seeing the 60hz AC current phasing in action - this is my new favorite Drop ever.

NERRRRRRRRD!!!! :P

paulgruberman:

MowDownJoe:

Only if the lights are wired in series, which most are. Some lights are wired in parallel, and usually state that on the box.

I actually do know the difference between series circuits and parallel circuits. It's just the oldest gag in the book.

Wow, those lights wired in Parallel are amazing. So many destroyed, and the rest are still lit! Those are some seriously robust lights!

Best one yet.
The first impact was amazing.

The fact the flash from the first bulb breaking was on in the wide shot was interesting.

I felt this drop went too long before the credits came up however.

I was not expecting that, that looked amazing.

A very high contender for favourite drop, hopefully LRR has more great ones stashed for the coming months.

I wasnt really sure wat to expect in this one. I mean, I knew they would drop lights, but I didnt know if they would break. cause you cant have graham go all crowbar on it without a safety hazard.

That being said, i was happy with the results.

Bah, what entertainment is there, if nobody stands the risk of dying a terrifying death. Next, crowbar a hot lava lamp. ;P

Blinking lights... so hypnotic...

They weren't blinking when we first looked at them in regular time... That's not actually blinking lights. That's the AC power cycling back and forth!

Awesome flashes at the breaks.

emeraldrafael:
cause you cant have graham go all crowbar on it without a safety hazard.

That's Alex on crowbar, not Graham.

It's good drops like that that has me convinced that Daily Drop is the best thing on the internet *ever*.

Or at least the most hypnotic...

Tyrell:
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. And you have burned so very very brightly

good drop but I think it could have done with some extra testing to break the other lights

Anybody else reminded of the Needler Explosion effect from Halo?

Pretty

As I thought. Lit lamps are so much better than unlit ones. XD

And is that AC ripple? 60hz in Canada right?

You could probably work out the framerate of the high speed camera with this video....

Count the peak-to-peak time of the flashing visible in the lights (in frames), multiply by 60... Bingo. Camera framerate.

:(

Poor Christmas lights. Like watching a puppy kicked.

I keep getting told it's not Graham in the role of King Crowbar, but damn, the facial hair and all, sure looks like him.

Best drop yet? This is definitely in the top 10 drops to date.

One of the most visually engaging so far. Top notch!

Exposing live electrical components while standing on a metal ladder, what could go wrong.

Heck, let's have a guy standing by to hit them with a crowbar just in case!

CrystalShadow:
As I thought. Lit lamps are so much better than unlit ones. XD

And is that AC ripple? 60hz in Canada right?

You could probably work out the framerate of the high speed camera with this video....

Count the peak-to-peak time of the flashing visible in the lights (in frames), multiply by 60... Bingo. Camera framerate.

Without ripping it and dumping into Virtualdub or similar, i'm taking a stab at about 1500-2000fps? The video will be 30fps almost certainly, and there's roughly 1 sec peak to peak on the flashes... so it's somewhere around 1800fps or not much either side, if I've done my maths right and my sense of time isn't too screwy.

Which also means 1 realtime second takes about a minute to play out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here