Daily Drop: Silly String

Silly String

Well... goofy string at best. Silly? Meh.

Watch Video

Hmm, I understand why you couldn't use the crowbar for safety. But still felt a little weak on the wow factor. Having said that, I was really impressed that it stays a continuous strand the whole time.

I'm feeling that putting the can over a candle surrounded by safety acrylic would have been amazing, but H&S...=\

would have been awesome if you put a sheet of glass in front of the camera and then shot it at the camera.
I never liked silly string. never felt tat silly.

It could have been much better than it was... I was disappointed that nobody really considered the optimal view for the silly string, especially considering the best part is when it hits the target. First he fired it too far off, then he fired it towards the other wall... both times his hand was more in the shot than the silly string was.

Too bad, that could have been fascinating to watch.

I thought from the preview last week that this would be like that spray cheese. This type of can is not good for dropping.

dex-dex:
would have been awesome if you put a sheet of glass in front of the camera and then shot it at the camera.
I never liked silly string. never felt tat silly.

There is a piece of plastic hanging in front the of camera anyway. I don't recall a single drop that at least had the wide angle shot that didn't have it.

I expected the can to spray more when it landed on its cap. Though what i would have liked to see is trying to drop all the string out from the can at once.

I'm a little disappointed by this I expected the string to be sillier. Wave it around a little at least.

And I was thinking this would be another crowbar opportunity... I mean.. you are wearing goggles... so It'd be perfectly safe... right?

The Lawn:
And I was thinking this would be another crowbar opportunity... I mean.. you are wearing goggles... so It'd be perfectly safe... right?

Well, he wouldn't get shrapnel TOO far into his eyes... but pain and all that makes people cautious.

I like that they at least seem to have the time management down. Didn't feel like I was waiting for it to be over for a full minute.

That could have been so much better... Still, it felt weirdly appropriate to me, since it's Carnaval here in Brazil and we tend to see a lot of silly string around at this time.

That was silly

I was definitely expecting crowbar to show up after the first failure.

Then I remembered that all compressed cans have warnings that they may EXPLODE.

Dooly95:
I was definitely expecting crowbar to show up after the first failure.

Then I remembered that all compressed cans have warnings that they may EXPLODE.

It's not that bad tbh, maybe get an air rifle/firearm/very seriously powerful BB gun and fire at it, cause I think they're running out of cool shit to drop

I want the music from this series. Where can I find it?

You should have taped down the cap before you dropped it!

OUT OF BOUNDS!!!

Should have got everyone there a can or two, and have everyone spray directly in the zone.

A Curious Fellow:

There's an official music page somewhere here, but I've heard plenty that wasn't there. try: http://younnat.com/

praetor_alpha:
OUT OF BOUNDS!!!

Should have got everyone there a can or two, and have everyone spray directly in the zone.

A Curious Fellow:

There's an official music page somewhere here, but I've heard plenty that wasn't there. try: http://younnat.com/

Thanks brah, you've earned one billion Curious Points.

A pity, I was sort of hoping to see the point where it goes from liquid to somewhat solid isotope, but looks like it happens instantly upon contact with the air, or maybe there's just no visual queue to pick up on... in any case, I couldn't see it happening on the high speed camera.

aww i was hoping after the first failure, you would remove that white cap thing on it, then drop it again, so that it gets jammed in there and just constantly shoots out

I wonder if even the crowbar would have done any good here...

...is it just me, or is Daily Drop the quietest series on The Escapist? I always have to turn the volume up for DD, whereas everything else plays fine.

Sorry if i sound like a douchebag but it seems you're running out of ideas. Crowbar would have been nice but then everyone would have to go to hospital with their limbs missing.

Seriously? They should drop the bottom a barrel next- they're already scraping it.

Kinda fun, but kinda meh for me.

Should you guys get a chance to borrow another high-speed camera and do another batch of these, a silly string redux would be good: have one or more cans lying on their "back" (spray nozzle pointing up), with the button(s) resting against a board; another board pushes the bottom of the cans up against the first board (or, possibly, reverse the position or, for even better effect, alternate the cans' orientation), and record the resultant silly fountain... (This would, of course, not exactly qualify as a "drop," though; perhaps a Rube Goldberg style drop trigger?)

Mazty suggested putting the can over a candle, but a "safer" (!) possibility could be spraying the string over the candle.

Again, if there's ever a Daily Drop Mark II, for failures that the crowbar is just too dangerous to deal with, perhaps a guillotine-style weight drop, or a weighted armature? (Now I have an image of the giant panto hammer from Monty Python stuck in my head; the giant panto N-tonne weight would just hide the results...)

One more, and I'll stop telling you what to do. 5 words: Ping pong balls and mousetraps. (The drop zone is pretty small but, even so, the reaction in slow motion ought to be pretty sweet.)

Reminds me of the slime from Ghostbusters 2

Unexpected, I'll give you that.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or