Escape to the Movies: Red Riding Hood

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Red Riding Hood

Hey there Little Red Riding Hood, you sure are looking good.

Watch Video

Awh, man, I was hoping for a review of Battle: LA.

Definitely was not expecting that. Might be a rental for me when that time hits.

Love the "Royal Guardsmen" tribute, by the way.

As soon as Bob said 'Damn near a masterpiece' at the end I imagined the film's producers putting that quote on the poster.

Points for the Ladyhawke callout.

Well, there goes another bit of respect for you Bob. After hating on the King's Speech for being Oscar bait. You call this movie great for being terrible? It's because Amanda Seyfried is in it, isn't it Bob?

My interest in this one started when I found out Michael Shanks had a role in it and died when I found out he was pretty much a glorified extra.

I think I shall round up a female friend and go and see this one, even if its only for Seyfried in that outfit, mmmm.

Dammit, I've still got a lot of catching up to do with movies!

I like how you mention it being fair for LRRH to exist for girls since 300 exists for boys.
Double standards suck.

Hatchet90:
Well, there goes another bit of respect for you Bob. After hating on the King's Speech for being Oscar bait. You call this movie great for being terrible? It's because Amanda Seyfried is in it, isn't it Bob?

He didn't say the movie was great, just good compared to what it's competing against.

I like over-the-top movies, anyone got a master list of all the good campy films?

so, it's one of those "so bad it's good" sorta movies. I can dig that

Hmm, well Ever After was basically the feminist camp version of "Cinderella", and I loved that. (It's also one of the few roles I can stand Drew Barrymore in). Maybe this is actually worth a look, if only for Gary Oldman playing crazy antagonist again.

Really bob? You chose to review red riding hood over Battle for LA? It just seems like an odd choice. I don't know I just felt like you would have enjoyed B4LA way more then this; also I feel like the escapist community has had more interested in it as oppose to this movie. Just my opinion though, its your show.

Ach, I was calling people out on assuming that having one person who also worked on twilight automatically made this film terrible since it first got mentioned.

glad I don't have to eat my words.

Darkhill:
I like over-the-top movies, anyone got a master list of all the good campy films?

big trouble in little china
escape from new york

Are the two ones which spring immediately to my mind.

oh and good review bob. may watch next week as i have a date lined up xD

I've gained a lot of respect for you thanks to this review. You talked about the quality of the film and made good points, WITHOUT spending 3/4 of the review oogling Amanda Seifried (apologies if that's spelt wrong). I'm impressed. Well done Bob!

As for the film, it's clearly not for me, so I'll be staying clear. Sucker Punch is out the same day that this is in the UK anyway. So I'll be seeing that instead.

Say what you will MovieBob, I still refuse to see such a stupid premise.

I mean seriously, Little Red Riding Hood? C'mon!

Kaytastrophe:
Really bob? You chose to review red riding hood over Battle for LA? It just seems like an odd choice. I don't know I just felt like you would have enjoyed B4LA way more then this; also I feel like the escapist community has had more interested in it as oppose to this movie. Just my opinion though, its your show.

I suspect that means B:LA will be bad news, like Skyline.

Vatican sponsored Monster hunter? Does he wear the pelts of his slain prey as armour? That'd be great.

I was watching this, knowing there would be some form of curveball which would make want to watch the film.

And then bam, Gary Oldman. Well played Red Riding Hood, well played.

Oooo Bob I continue to find it amusing that you seem to think that sexual freedom is the the same thing as social progress. Yet at the same time we both hate Twilight for the same reasons. Of course the message of Twilight becomes even more offensive if you understand the culture of Mormonism that is came from. Basically fitting into the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law category.

Man, I thought this movie was going to be trash, I legitimately sighed when I saw the trailer for this in theatres, and now I hear it might be decent?!

Meh, I won't be swayed to see this at full price, I'll either matinee or rent it when the time comes.

Fascinating, so it's decent just not for my demographic despite a joy for camp and ham.

Perhaps I'll rent it. Good review. Good to know that there can be Twilight derivatives that can be decent and positive.

Perhaps Stephanie Meyer, despite the fact she should burn, can be a force for good.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA! Oh god, can't believe I said that with a straight face.

hee hee, Force for good....

You know, I really never cared about movies until I started watching Bob. You do some good stuff Bob. Keep it up.

bahumat42:

Darkhill:

big trouble in little china
escape from new york

Are the two ones which spring immediately to my mind.

For Bruce Campbell fans, I'd add:

Army of Darkness
My Name is Bruce
Bubba Ho-Tep

Kaytastrophe:

Exactly what I was thinking. I thought to myself this morning "Oh, Escape to the Movies today ... Battle for LA for sure." Definitely seems more targeted at this site's audience, but whatever. I enjoyed the RRH review. I'm sure he'll pick up Battle for LA at some point. Right Bob? Right?

Han Zimmer... damn he is in everything! next to him the only other composer i know is John Williams XD yeh not much of a movie buff :P

Is this the only Movie out today?

Hatchet90:

I got the impression he didn't like the King's Speech because it was boring as hell, predictable as hell and generally a thoroughly unastounding picture.

Meanwhile, on the less angry part of my brain...

I REALLY wasn't expecting Bob to like this. I stumbled across the trailer a couple of months ago and thought it looked like bollocks, and before this I'd have guessed that if he reviewed it at all he would just rant about twilight for a few minutes :P

The Adam West Batman movie was very campy as well, but pretty good, though a tad long.

Under served demographic?

...lol

I think LRRH is the more important review and I'm glad he did it. We need more chick flicks that don't suck.

Not to mention, the phrase "anti-Twilight" made me instantly flag this for rental.

All through watching this I kept thinking of Angela Carter's The Werewolf, which is a gothic take on the fairytale of Little Red Riding Hood.

Its nice to see Bob's moved past his lowpoint.

I dunno if the camp factor can carry me through this movie. I really don't have the time to invest in 'iffy' movies, and the bit about "...if you're in the right mood..." kinda makes me think that I should pass on this one because, honestly, I'm rarely in that sort of mood these days.

Gary Oldman is the only reason I might rent this when it hits DVD. Big fan of his ever since 'The Professional'.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here