Trailers: Duke Nukem Forever: Randy Pitchford

Duke Nukem Forever: Randy Pitchford

Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox Software, describes the development and style of Duke Nukem Forever

Watch Video

Wow, compared to dragon age 2 and homefront i almost detected zero on the bullshit front.
some of the things he said maybe.... but he sounds really euthanasia about it. Sounds like a dam good game.
Lol if this turns out to be 'the new cod' A new wave of games of yester year.
i used 'lol', my stoning is inventiable....

At the very least, Mr. Pitchford obviously possesses a genuine passion for this project.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Sounds like we'll be expecting a fun Duke Nukem game.

John Burton:
Wow, compared to dragon age 2 and homefront i almost detected zero on the bullshit front.
some of the things he said maybe.... but he sounds really euthanasia about it. Sounds like a dam good game.

No, your stoning is inevitable because you fail to capitalize properly and also grossly misspelt "inevitable".

Ekonk:

John Burton:

No, your stoning is inevitable because you fail to capitalize properly and also grossly misspelt "inevitable".

Dammit, and i thought admiting those mistakes would be a step too far.
Dam you grammar nazis!!!!!!
Inventiable was google's suggestion... dam MNC

John Burton:

Ekonk:

John Burton:

Dammit, and i thought admiting those mistakes would be a step too far.
Dam you grammar nazis!!!!!!

It's funny because my avatar is a nazi.

...A melting nazi, but still.

Watching him being excited about the game is making me excited.

Also the last Duke clip made me almost spit out my tea. Twas hilarious!

I like Randy Pitchford. He makes his point enthusiastically, doesn't go into long boring stretches and just seems like the sort of guy you could have a drink with.

Have to admit, I'm actually more excited about DNF than Portal 2. Blasphemy as that maybe.

John Burton:
... but he sounds really euthanasia about it.

You might want to check your definitions there ;)

He was kinda enthusiastic, but I can't help but feel that a PR guy should have briefed him on a few key things to include, a few killer points to make and emphasise etc, rather than just rambling on enthusiastically but kinda incoherently. Makes me appreciate just how much effort other companies must go to to make sure their interviews and presentations are coherent and smooth ;)

Wicky_42:

John Burton:

He was kinda enthusiastic, but I can't help but feel that a PR guy should have briefed him on a few key things to include, a few killer points to make and emphasise etc, rather than just rambling on enthusiastically but kinda incoherently. Makes me appreciate just how much effort other companies must go to to make sure their interviews and presentations are coherent and smooth ;)

I still prefer what is show in here, it is more honest and not so scripted. As gamers we understand what he is trying to say, for people not so used to this kind of talk it may be a bit strange but his kind of trailer isnt for those guys.

Wicky_42:

John Burton:

I think by giving his own opinion and not the voice of a scripted speech with selling points made his speech more valid. If he's genuinely excited about the game and isn't worried about repercussions of unfulfilled hype then maybe the game really is that good.

Sounds like fun. What made Duke Nukem for me was the insane interaction of the environment and his insanely intentional egotistic attitude. If this Duke game can meet that I'll be happy.

All other FPS are just about ballistic weapons?

Didn't you make the game with the most ballistic weapons ever?

I wanna touch it
... the game I mean.

Ekonk:

John Burton:

He mistook "Enthusiastic" for "Euthanasia", and what you decided to point out was his misspelling of "inevitable"?

OT: Meh, it's just another shooter to me. I might wait until it goes down in price, but otherwise I won't bother.

This trailer actually made me less excited for the release. Anyone notice he mentioned 'pipe bombs' and 'trip mines' about three times like it was a new thing?

The_root_of_all_evil:
I like Randy Pitchford. He makes his point enthusiastically, doesn't go into long boring stretches and just seems like the sort of guy you could have a drink with.

Then again he WAS on the 3D Realms team during the large gap in between the announced duke nukem forever back in the 90s until he left and formed/joined Gearbox, so this is his chance to possibly redeem for the years of teasing the Duke fans by releasing the game.

i say i'm glad Duke's coming back, we have too many serious protagonists these days.

About damn time duke returns to take the piss out of being an action hero.

Grabbin Keelz:
This trailer actually made me less excited for the release. Anyone notice he mentioned 'pipe bombs' and 'trip mines' about three times like it was a new thing?

Because it's technically true these days, with everyone running around using UAVs and attack choppers, never improvised explosives or something that's NOT a claymore.

Selvec:

You crazy? Those weapons had exploding acidic lightning grenades that healed you! It isn't so much about the "ballistics" as it was the sheer absurdity some of those weapons could have. Current FPS games (some exceptions) focus more upon making sure its realistic.

Essentially the ballistics in one "realistic" fps game will mirror that of other "realistic" games, despite what the devs say.

Wicky_42:

John Burton:

I think others have said it well enough, but I respect him for doing it as is. Its nice, sure, but its also boring and bland, because essentially it always boils down to the same point each time.

spartan773:

Grabbin Keelz:

Because it's technically true these days, with everyone running around using UAVs and attack choppers, never improvised explosives or something that's NOT a claymore.

But recently I just beat Bioshock, a game where trip mines can come in the form of a bomb, an electric shock, an alarm, and a tornado (literally). Because some enemies were so hard to kill, you had to think of what would be the best option was to kill them.

Actually that sounds like a good challenge. If Duke Nukem can make more ways to kill enemies than in Bioshock, then I might consider getting it.

cursedseishi:

Selvec:

You crazy? Those weapons had exploding acidic lightning grenades that healed you! It isn't so much about the "ballistics" as it was the sheer absurdity some of those weapons could have. Current FPS games (some exceptions) focus more upon making sure its realistic.

Essentially the ballistics in one "realistic" fps game will mirror that of other "realistic" games, despite what the devs say.

Pump-action, revolver, incendiary SNIPER RIFLE!

I can't help but be a little pessimistic about this game. I don't think it will compare to the original Duke 3D, which is still a damn good game all these years later. It seems far too gimmicky with all its over-the-topness. I've played the original Duke 3D I don't know how many times, and it was never anywhere near as vulgar as the new one seems to be. I can't help but think they're trying to hide some other shortcomings by inciting a bunch of controversy.

Wicky_42:

John Burton:

Wow I almost missed that one. Well, maybe Randy Pitchford really would put old folks out of their duke-induced depression so that he could play the game in peace.

Sounds like fun, he's excited about it so that's always a goody.

Holy crap somebody from the senior leadership of a game opened their mouth and talked about it and all my expectations weren't crushed into paste.

Might Duke Nukem Forever be the first FPS that isn't over hyped?

Well Mr. Pitchford you've earned your game tentative optimism.
I might just rent it, after the Zero P. review of course.

Mikeyfell:
Holy crap somebody from the senior leadership of a game opened their mouth and talked about it and all my expectations weren't crushed into paste.

don't you remember? Zero Punctuation already did a review for it!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/748-Duke-Nukem-Forever

When is it coming out. again?

Pugiron:
When is it coming out. again?

June 10th International. June 14th for the U.S.

cursedseishi:

Mikeyfell:

don't you remember? Zero Punctuation already did a review for it!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/748-Duke-Nukem-Forever

Yeah I remember.
But Yahtzee does plan to review the real DNF.

I was mostly impressed that the guy in the interview/trailer sounded honest instead of "OMFG GUIZE our game so0OOOoooo000 perfect!!"

I do appreciate his honest enthusiasm, he's right it does look more vibrant than most FPS games coming out this year (maybe with the exception of Mass Effect 3) and I do have fond memories of Duke-Nukem 3d however, I never saw it as an innovative game the way he was talking about. It always seemed like a raunchy version of Doom. anything creative is had as far as setting traps and killing dudes in creative ways seemed forgettable next to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark (The 64 games)think about it, what games do you think of as shaping FPS genre? In that respect he is blowing some advertising smoke up our asses. it may be honest he is on fire about this game smoke but smoke none-the-less.

Even if this ends up being an amazing game....Its been in development for 14 years, Nothing they produce can live up to that kind of hype I'm sorry.

They've bumped it back so much they might as well bump it back 6 more months so it can get released on its developments 15th anniversary XD

and now that i play it, i'm convinced he and i are thinking of two different games.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here