Trailers: Battlefield 3: Fault Line Full Gameplay

Battlefield 3: Fault Line Full Gameplay

Feast your eyes on nearly 12 minutes of gameplay in this trailer for Battlefield 3.

Watch Video

Pure awesomeness. It has really spiked my interest :)

Blaaaarrg...

*sigh*

Okay, okay. I must admit that, yes, it looks pretty, is very well presented and has extremely solid scripting.

But I really don't have the stomach for yet another militaristic power fantasy featuring big tough Americans shooting Middle Eastern people from a first person perspective. It looks like George Bush's personal wet dream. I don't care how good the scripting or graphics are, that shit can just fuck right off and die in a fire.

Besides, it looks like Call of Duty with extra grey.

There's always the multiplayer though. After all, the Battlefield series has always been built on its strong multiplayer. But then again, it's not like the world has never seen an online FPS before. To stand out in that market you have to do something pretty fucking spectacular.

In short, this game isn't even on my radar. Especially not when rare and juicy delicacies like Portal 2, Deus Ex: HR and Mass Effect 3 are on the horizon. Mmm... can't wait.

That had to be one of the worst snipers ever. Yes, I know those misses were for cinematic effect (unless the player stuck its head out at a bad time), but still, any decent sniper would have painted that rooftop red.

Still, I'm looking forward to this game.

Zhukov:
Blaaaarrg...

*sigh*

Okay, okay. I must admit that, yes, it looks pretty, is very well presented and has extremely solid scripting.

But I really don't have the stomach for yet another militaristic power fantasy featuring big tough Americans shooting Middle Eastern people from a first person perspective. It looks like George Bush's personal wet dream. I don't care how good the scripting or graphics are, that shit can just fuck right off and die in a fire.

There's always the multiplayer though. After all, the Battlefield series has always been built on its strong multiplayer. But then again, it's not like the world has never seen an online FPS before. To stand out in that market you have to do something pretty fucking spectacular.

In short, this game isn't even on my radar. Especially not when rare and juicy delicacies like Portal 2, Deus Ex: HR and Mass Effect 3 are on the horizon. Mmm... can't wait.

Gonna have to agree with most of this. Yes, the graphics look stunning and the sound is amazing but I personally find setting games in a region that is still seeing ongoing conflict a tad untasteful. Also, the modern setting is starting to get as oversaturated as WWII. I may buy it for the multiplayer because that will almost certainly be very good, but I imagine the single-player will be fairly cliché and disappointing.

I also agree that, with Mass Effect 3, Portal 2, Skyrim and Deus Ex: HR on the way, I'm not sure I'm going to have the money for another modern shooter - even one as graphically stunning as Battlefield 3. Besides, I doubt my xbox will be able to display the graphics to that quality and I don't have the money to upgrade my computer. To anyone that does have a computer capable of running BF3 at top spec: I'm unspeakably jealous.

Zhukov:
Blaaaarrg...

*sigh*

Eh, well, speak for yourself. Battlefield's always been the pre-eminent multiplayer shooter when it comes to quality - and just from playing Bad Company 2, I can tell this reputation is deserved. Excellent teamwork, vehicle use, and destructible terrain. Battlefield 3 promises all of that, and a whole load of new stuff - and weirdly, despite all the harping on about jet fighters and all that, the update which makes me most interested is the idea of being able to plant a machine gun turret anywhere you like and set up your own defensive position.

The campaign interests me a bit, but I got the impression this trailer was actually just a cleverly disguised way to show off the graphics and other production values. Which do look amazing.

I'm looking forward to this far more than Portal 2 (which I don't care about), and probably about as much as DE:HR and ME3.

WHY DO THESE GAMES HAVE STORIES!! [turns off caps lock]

Ahem as I was saying; Why do these war games even bother having a story. If you're gonna tell a story tell something new and interesting. A fresh thought process that offers a new idea in any way. If you're just gonna make "Invade Secure Blandistan. Destroy EVERYTHING." then adding neither Awesome visuals nor "look it's an earthquake! THAT'S different" is going to solve anything...

On the other hand, Battlefields multiplayer experience is just superb! It's the most immersive MP game I've ever played, and it makes CoD Mp look about as mature as playing with Barbie Dolls......as a 60 year old....

So why not just expand on that? Dump all of your dev money into making it as close to perfect as you can take it? Add MASSIVE maps hosted on huge capable and expensive servers. Maybe tie it all in with an overall story (a la MMOFPS')? I dunno? But why limit yourself by wasting all that cash on developing an SP story when no-one FUCKING gives a hoot?!

[/rant]

OhJohnNo:

Zhukov:
Big ol' rant-a-thon snipped for space.

Eh, well, speak for yourself. Battlefield's always been the pre-eminent multiplayer shooter when it comes to quality - and just from playing Bad Company 2, I can tell this reputation is deserved. Excellent teamwork, vehicle use, and destructible terrain. Battlefield 3 promises all of that, and a whole load of new stuff - and weirdly, despite all the harping on about jet fighters and all that, the update which makes me most interested is the idea of being able to plant a machine gun turret anywhere you like and set up your own defensive position.

I agree that the Battlefield games have really good multiplayer.

But I didn't see any of that in the above trailer. I just saw Call of Duty: Shooting Arabs.

(Or possibly Persians. Not that the average online FPS player would know the difference.)

Not sure about the AI, but gunplay looks especially good compared to a lot of recent shooters. Doesn't feel like your sights are too fixed to the screen so much, feeling of movement and what not.

shit man, makes me glad I upgraded to windows 7

did someone type in IDDQD? because the guy seems very much like a bullet sponge

This
Looks
AWESOME!!!!

Sorry Battlefield, but if you're putting your marketing into a cinematic campaign that looks like CoD then proclaim how you're going to beat it... You're not going to beat the most popular game by being just like it.

Haven't seen any multiplayer yet... but BC2 was pretty good. Was more balanced than CoD for sure but a lot more unsatisfying games than my experience with CoD. Games on super massive maps in a 12 v 12 game just doesn't work all the time.

This looks amazing to be honest. I'm hoping that the earthquake can somehow make the story more interesting, but I'm already wanting this way more than I expected. Although I haven't played the newest CoD, BF3 looks like it will be way more interesting as far as story goes. Also, BFBC2 has amazing multiplayer. It's balanced and forces team play. I love it. I really hope this continues in that vein.

And Awexsome: If you're only going to play 12v12, don't play on a huge map. They have smaller ones...

Muco5681:
did someone type in IDDQD? because the guy seems very much like a bullet sponge

He'd on easy, clearly :P

OP: I'm getting this, just for the jet fighters. Its about time they got brought back into battlefield.

i want to see a vid of them going top gun... im so going to be playing highway to the danger zone when ever i get into a jet.

Another one for the list of games to buy. It's going to be a damn expensive year! Hope the multiplayer lives up to the awesomeness that is BC 1 & 2

What they have been saying multiplayer will be on par with BF2 rather than this bad company nonsense, and you always judge BF games by the multiplayer.
I am glad they have introduced singleplayer campagin but id rather it be MEC and China liek it used to be rather Insurgants, mainly because i would like a battlfeild wide conflict rather than usally CoD stuff.

dogstile:
I'm getting this, just for the jet fighters. Its about time they got brought back into battlefield.

Same here! Hell, I signed up for BF:Play4Free just because it has jets.

Ooooohhh boy...

Yep, definetly getting this. 64 players multip and Jets? It will be awesome.

However I need a new graphic card..

Zhukov:
Blaaaarrg...

*sigh*

Yeah, gotta agree.

If nobody said this was Battlefield, I would assume that its the new Medal of Honor or something.

It just looks so... meh. Use your strengths DICE. Those strengths are amazing multiplayer and large, great maps. So start showing those if you want more interest. Because right now I could not be more indifferent.

I would be a little more impressed if I hadn't already seen it all. When they were hyping up the release of 12 mins of gameplay footage it sounded like they were going to show us something new...

Every time that logo comes up I keep imagining what it would be like in a movie theater.

I'm not tired of Modern military shooters because I've never bought any of the CoD games. I'm a virgin for Battlefield.

Yawn.

The only way a realistic military shooter's singleplayer story mode would impress me these days would be if you actually made it a hell of a lot more realistic. Less regenerating health, fewer firefights at 20 metres, and less of this goddamn "cinematic" bullshit. Too much of that video looked very scripted.

Oh. Baby.

But show me some multiplayer footage, because I still don't care about Battlefield singleplayer.

This will be the... sixth Battlefield game I've played, definitely tops in my lifetime franchise rankings.

THROWING FRAG!

Zhukov:

it looks like Call of Duty with extra grey.

My thoughts exactly. While BF's multiplayer has always been distinctive, its single player on Bad Company distinguished well enough from Modern Warfare's in that it was more lighthearted, had strong protagonists and generally was a quick romp through several environments, mowing down enemies while enjoying the witty remarks from your squadmates. Now it looks incredibly CoDwashed.

The thing is, they don't even bother including any hint of character anymore. It's all military gear and using callsigns and being realist. I hope those "tremor" things actually add some interesting (if ficticious) plot devices, because I could really go for a distinguishing SP campaign.

Kilgengoor:

Zhukov:

it looks like Call of Duty with extra grey.

My thoughts exactly. While BF's multiplayer has always been distinctive, its single player on Bad Company distinguished well enough from Modern Warfare's in that it was more lighthearted, had strong protagonists and generally was a quick romp through several environments, mowing down enemies while enjoying the witty remarks from your squadmates. Now it looks incredibly CoDwashed.

The thing is, they don't even bother including any hint of character anymore. It's all military gear and using callsigns and being realist. I hope those "tremor" things actually add some interesting (if ficticious) plot devices, because I could really go for a distinguishing SP campaign.

I've always felt too overpowered, I mean come on, US military? but a natural disaster could indeed solve this issue. story wise and play wise, gives that much needed on your own in a foreign place and all the locals want to kill thing a boost of oh shiz!

I hope to definitely see more of the classic BF style of multiplayer that I love, I'm a pc gamer (we're a dying breed) :( and look forward to seeing what more we see in this latest installment.

also. Jets. helicopters. always found them more fun in BF. there back. yum!

I felt like i'd seen this game a few times before.
It did have a few graphical and sound improvements, but it's the same shooter.
I especially liked how the sniper didn't hit a single guy and how the cars blew up from bullets (must've been carrying propane tanks or something).
I certainly won't be keeping this game in my "to play" list.

I was thinking how good it sounded.

I haven't bought a CoD game since 4 so I'm not suffering from military shooter overload, that had me pretty damned excited. Even if the single player turns to be another CoD railroad (although it looks a lot better pasced than CoD) the multi's been confirmed as 64player with jets, tanks and crawling about being sneaky. Besides, if they can do a better presentation and sound job than IW/Treyarch (wouldn't bet against it) I've still got time for a good ten hours of mayhem and violence.

Confirmed 64 player multiplayer you say?

ALMOST sold. Once talk of dedicated servers reaches my ears, this is as good as bought.

EDIT: Scratch that. 64 on PC only. Sad face. 12v12 is a good number though, just depends if they make the maps super big. I don't like huge maps...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here