Trailers: Guild Wars 2: Charr Preview

Guild Wars 2: Charr Preview

Get a preview of the Black Citadel and other Charr territories in this trailer for Guild Wars 2.

Watch Video

I always did love the way Charr siege weaponry looked in GW:1. Still hopping for a beta announcement sometime this year :D

I flat out refuse to be a Charr in GW2 because of what they did to my homeland in GW: Prophecies >:(

So much lore is in the GW universe its incredible.

Wait...steampunk beastmen? That's certainly interesting, and a refreshing race for a fantasy setting. Quite something different.

Hoping we can drive those tank buggies in game.

Zenode:
I flat out refuse to be a Charr in GW2 because of what they did to my homeland in GW: Prophecies >:(

But wasn't it the Humans that originally stole the land from the Charr. All the Charr did was take it back, in the manner they saw fit at the time.

This game just keeps getting better and better :D

Cowabungaa:
Wait...steampunk beastmen? That's certainly interesting, and a refreshing race for a fantasy setting. Quite something different.

This is amazing. I might actually begin to like the Charr!

Master10K:
Hoping we can drive those tank buggies in game.

Zenode:

But wasn't it the Humans that originally stole the land from the Charr. All the Charr did was take it back, in the manner they saw fit at the time.

Yes, Humans came to Tyria and took the land from the Charr.

Charr<3
I'm so getting myself a Charr necro.

Btw, I really hope they will reveal a new class in the Charr weekend:D

Gotta love the Charr!

Never liked to kill them in GW1...

Is it just me or did part of their homeland remind you of the steelwork in Saruman tower in The Two Towers? None the less I can't wait to make a Charr character!

They've done a really good job of translating Kekai's jagged painterly designs into 3D.

...and let the puns commence:

I totally want that carr. (yeah, that one's really bad)
They turn everything to Charrcoal.
We will bring about Charrmageddon.

I'm so sorry...

Cowabungaa:

"Clockpunk", actually.

Eh, a little of both. Not that it matters, the Charr are badass either way.

2xDouble:

I'm so sorry...

Ha, that's nothing. You should see the Charr punning contest they had on the Guild Wars 2 twitter on the 18th.

2xDouble:

Cowabungaa:

"Clockpunk", actually.

Your image link fails. But when watching that video I see a looooot of billowing clouds and powered vehicles and all that jazz. Guns too. Clockpunk is usually Renaissance-ish era. Think Da Vinci.

But whatever it is, it looks cool. Just wondering how such...savage creatures were able to develop something that advanced.

Cowabungaa:

2xDouble:

Cowabungaa:

"Clockpunk", actually.

Your image link fails. But when watching that video I see a looooot of billowing clouds and powered vehicles and all that jazz. Guns too. Clockpunk is usually Renaissance-ish era. Think Da Vinci.

But whatever it is, it looks cool. Just wondering how such...savage creatures were able to develop something that advanced.

Charr aren't actually savage. They are quite advanced and had amazing siege weaponry in Guild Wars 1. Although it was only shown in certain parts of the game. Just because they look like animals doesn't mean they act like them or think like them in everyway.

Glademaster:

Cowabungaa:

2xDouble:
"Clockpunk", actually.

Charr aren't actually savage. They are quite advanced and had amazing siege weaponry in Guild Wars 1. Although it was only shown in certain parts of the game. Just because they look like animals doesn't mean they act like them or think like them in everyway.

Well I was more thinking about the way they acted in that trailer, all "grrr" like and stuff, little culture except for vicious battlemachinery. They reminded me of the Krogan a bit, always wondered how they ever developed nukes. But then again it was only a short little trailer.

Cowabungaa:

Glademaster:

Cowabungaa:

Well I was more thinking about the way they acted in that trailer, all "grrr" like and stuff, little culture except for vicious battlemachinery. They reminded me of the Krogan a bit, always wondered how they ever developed nukes. But then again it was only a short little trailer.

That's fair enough. The trailer really doesn't give their cunning and intelligence justice in my opinion. Sure they are no Asura on the intelligence scale but they aren't exactly Orks either.

Anyone else seen the 11/3 release date for GW2 in Gamestops' folder of releases? I saw it and asked one of the employees who said that's been known for awhile. I'm assuming this is just Gamestop being stupid ja?

BabySinclair:
Anyone else seen the 11/3 release date for GW2 in Gamestops' folder of releases? I saw it and asked one of the employees who said that's been known for awhile. I'm assuming this is just Gamestop being stupid ja?

No. Gamestop told me 2 Nov 2010, and I'm holding them to it. [/sarcasm]

Cowabungaa:

See for your self. As well as the original page this video came from.
...hope those links work better for ya.

They do kinda sound like Krogans or Klingons... that's what badass sounds like. heh.

Side note: Thanks Mr. Team Hollywood for giving Charr Week some love. /salute

Interesting to see is that, in all the footage, the ruins of Rin are always sómewhere to be seen. The Black Citadel like a huge steel, smog spewing middle finger to Ascalon.

what the hell were those odd grunts that sounded like Gimli from LOTR puking?

Took me a good 40 seconds to realize that this is a Charr preview, and not a charACTER preview. Dang. I was hoping for some character creation information. >.<

Wow, the music really reminded me of DOW (glad that Soule's doing the music again)
OT: I really like the steampunkish look. I'm definatly going to try this race.

I hope this game doesn't turn out to be a cattastrophy

2xDouble:

I'm so sorry...

What's their favorite pokemon?
Charizard

Glademaster:

And yet during the main game outside of cutscenes they aren't much to write home about. Also, if the Charr are playable, who becomes the overall badguys? I'm voting for the Undead.

Zolem:

Glademaster:

And yet during the main game outside of cutscenes they aren't much to write home about. Also, if the Charr are playable, who becomes the overall badguys? I'm voting for the Undead.

Well is it not easier to kill an enemy that is just a savage ravaging beast rather than say an enemy that has some morality behind their actions? If you dehumanise the enemy they are easier to fight against which is why we see the worst of the worst of the Charr. We don't actually ever see normal Charr that live in cities only ruthless soldiers, warbands and zealous shamans.

Well the Charr were never the overall bad guys the Destroyers, Ancient Dragons and Undead are the main ones so far.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here