Escape to the Movies: Troll Hunter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Don`t worry Gizmo - it will come out in Denmark. Seeing as you guys have given us so many good movies the last 15 years, it`s about time one worthy film from Norway comes your way :)
Well, could throw Flåklypa Grand Prix in the mix - but well, that was a looooong time ago.

As a norwegian however, and secondly a scandinavian, Troll Hunter do take a nice approach at handling the folklore from a serious and respectful viewpoint, while at the same time poking it with the funny stick as well. I grew up with the fairytales (no Alexander Rybak....put that fiddle away before I ram it up your muppet control-hole) and it was just simple damn good fun. It`s still written in a way so that if you don`t know too much of the folklore, you`ll get the jokes and story as it bounces along. As it also pokes a bit of fun at norwegian politics and recent stories in the media, it`s double the fun. At least for us norwegians.

Edit: Been out on dvd and blu-ray for a few months here, so shouldn`t be too hard tracking it down.

zombie711:
is this movie in english?
also

Why would you willingly watch a live action dub?

Just read the damn sub titles.

I have a troll statue from Norway...well I got it at Epcot in the Norwegian section. It looks just like those things. Everyone else hates it but me. It keeps the things that go bump at nice out of my apartment that or it just creeps everyone out. Either way, I'm rambling.

Troll Hunter looks awesome!
I'm totally going to see it now, thanks bob

Abandon4093:

zombie711:
also

Unless they do the same thing they did to "The First Time" And completely remake it. =_=

Kegsen:
Don`t worry Gizmo - it will come out in Denmark. Seeing as you guys have given us so many good movies the last 15 years, it`s about time one worthy film from Norway comes your way :)
Well, could throw Flåklypa Grand Prix in the mix - but well, that was a looooong time ago.

As a norwegian however, and secondly a scandinavian, Troll Hunter do take a nice approach at handling the folklore from a serious and respectful viewpoint, while at the same time poking it with the funny stick as well. I grew up with the fairytales (no Alexander Rybak....put that fiddle away before I ram it up your muppet control-hole) and it was just simple damn good fun. It`s still written in a way so that if you don`t know too much of the folklore, you`ll get the jokes and story as it bounces along. As it also pokes a bit of fun at norwegian politics and recent stories in the media, it`s double the fun. At least for us norwegians.

Edit: Been out on dvd and blu-ray for a few months here, so shouldn`t be too hard tracking it down.

Nice to know that at least some movies get the old stories right :3 Would be cool to see a movie with real (I'm-gonna-dance-you-to-death) elves as well o.o

Abandon4093:

zombie711:
also

Hey I saw the girl with the dragon tatoo so please dont complain to me about dubs.
I just wanted to Know if its in english or not because Im ethier gonna see thor or this with my family but since my family doesnt really love monster movies like cloverfeild then their not going to like having to focus at the bottom of a screen.

Totally agree with this review. Easily my favorite Norwegian movie, perhaps only behind the classic Flåklypa grand prix:P

i really wanna see that, i dont know how hard ill have to try i SE texas, but im pretty sure it will be a struggle
side note: reminded me alot of Monster Hunter International books i read, light reading but pretty entertaining

The Nix:
Totally agree with this review. Easily my favorite Norwegian movie, perhaps only behind the classic Flåklypa grand prix:P

Well, to be honest - there is a reason for the term "it`s not bad, for being norwegian". Weird really, how the danes have made so many more good films than us.
Aside from Troll Hunter and Flåklypa, what else have actually been good? Yeah, Max Manus wasn`t half bad, and I guess Døden på Oslo S and the Elling-movies qualify as good. Other than that, it`s all psychological wallabazoo-drama, crap with the latest cupcakebabe with boobs but w/o any originality whatsoever, or regional remakes of 80`s slasher films. Or even worse, Wam & Wennerød.

Im Norwegian, i saw this movie on the realese a LONG time ago in 2010.
If you guys see this movie, look for the farmer who owns a farm destroyed by trolls, i know him well :-)
But anyways go see this movie its my Favorite, not olny beacuse im norwegian, but since this movie is so awsome!

So I'm assuming it's in Norwegian(that's the language as well as the place right?) not English? With Subtitles?

Pity. I've got nothing against foreign language films, I just can't watch them, because my eyes are shot to hell and there is no way I can read even big screen subtitles.

... On demand, huh?

Gonna check this one out.

NinjaDeathSlap:

Henrik Stavenes:

NinjaDeathSlap:
I wonder if they call hunting trolls, 'Trolling' :P

Terrible, terrible pun :P

OT: I loved the movie. Dunno if they play the movie dubbed or with subtitles but I reccomend it to everyone.

Yeah I know, but it was there for the taking...

they see me trollin'

they hatin'

This made my day Bob! One of my favorite movies from last year (Being Norwegian FTW).

Too bad this review came so late. Usually, your positive reviews make me go "I must not miss this movie", but in this case it was "I shouldn't have missed this movie". Well, I guess I could always get the DVD.

TBH from what I've heard Priest sucks, it's a paint-by-numbers film that again seems to like putting it's 3D sequences in the darkest parts of the movie. The fact that they downgraded from an R rating to a PG-13 is also very obvious, not to mention having the whole film seem like a giant trailer than an actual film. Anyway back to Troll Hunter, it seems really interesting so I may give it a go.

If you want my source here's Film Brain/Matthew Buck's review: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/fbv/projector/30849-priest

I remember seeing this when it came out. The entire audience was laughing their asses off at the cheap jabs the film make at classic Norwegian folk-lore. This is not viewed as a "serious" film by any Norwegian and if you take a close look at Otto Jespersen in some of the chase-scenes you can see that he is struggeling to stay in character without bursting into laughter.

I recommend that all of you go see it but please don't take it seriously.

Man, I'm hoping you will review Iron Sky. It is always interesting to hear you talk about nordic material. I'm finnish myself. ^^

I enjoyed this movie a lot, altough some jokes are lost in translation due to being subtle references and satire to niche norweigen pop culture elements and social aspects.

Still great movie that gave me a sense of aw like I haven't felt in a long time

I found it to be a great movie! Being Norwegian, and living in Norway, I watched it in November! great going Movie Bob!;) Great job! Wish you knew Norwegian, as some of the jokes are bound, in my opinion, are somewhat funnier in Norwegian:)

Is this movie in English or subtitled? And to follow up, should I bring my kids?

Nero09:
Man, this movie was a big deal over here when it came out. A great watch and it's awesome to see Bob giving it the recognition it, in my opinion, deserves.

HankMan:
It's nice that Norwegian film makers can now afjord to make big movies.
I wonder if they'll make an abridged version

Sure will be a mountainous task.

The Puns! They burn!

DiRonic:
Is this movie in English or subtitled? And to follow up, should I bring my kids?

Based on the shot where a troll blows up and showers a bridge with gibs in the video... I would say no to the kids question.

And the entire Norwegian userbase came a little bit in their pants...

Yessss, I was hoping he'd review this one sometime.
I'm glad he liked it. I certainly did.
The film's biggest flaw as far as I'm concerned is that Otto Jespersen is really just acting as himself, but it doesn't really bother me.

Good Job, Bob (hey, that rhymes!)!

Rare Exports review sometime soon, anyone?

Really? I mean really? People felt it necessary to point out that 2001 error?

As a casual fan of old fairytales and Myths I must see this movie.

The ONLY good movie to ever come out of my wretched country, but boy is it a good one... See it everyone, seriously... It's also the best piece of work Otto Jespersen has ever done.

Looks like a really interesting movie, can't wait to see it, but Bob those felt like too spoilery flashes of the movie, specially the last one.

Canid117:

Nero09:
Man, this movie was a big deal over here when it came out. A great watch and it's awesome to see Bob giving it the recognition it, in my opinion, deserves.

HankMan:
It's nice that Norwegian film makers can now afjord to make big movies.
I wonder if they'll make an abridged version

Sure will be a mountainous task.

The Puns! They burn!

DiRonic:

Based on the shot where a troll blows up and showers a bridge with gibs in the video... I would say no to the kids question.

Hmmm, why? The old fairytales are - simply put - horrific. Little Red Riding Hood anyone? The wolf friggin eats the grandma, steals her clothes and tries to attack LRRH. The old trollstories, where Espen Askeladd (don`t know a good translation to his name) either has a eating contest with trolls and makes them commit friggin seppuku, or his brothers are punished with having cuts in their back and salt poured into the wounds, are pretty graphic when it comes to violence. Yet they are seen as traditional folk tales. Which kinda brings the question of why it`s worse showing it, than making the kid in question make up their own horrific images of the stuff the are read before bedtime.

A good insight to a film I otherwise wouldn't have heard of. Classic Moviebob. I'm gonna catch this. Cheers bob!

Vkmies:
Man, I'm hoping you will review Iron Sky. It is always interesting to hear you talk about nordic material. I'm finnish myself. ^^

During the entire review, I asked myself "Will Bob review Iron Sky once it comes out?" I can't wait for that movie, I've been an eager fan for the last two years.

OT: This looks awesome and I'd like to see this movie. Pity it will probably never be shown in my country.

And to people asking is it in English; why would it have to be in English? Subtitles are your friend.

They made a sequel to The Social Network?

Seriously, though, looks pretty interesting.

Tuqui:
Looks like a really interesting movie, can't wait to see it, but Bob those felt like too spoilery flashes of the movie, specially the last one.

The clips are from the trailer, so I don't think you need to worry about it.

Totally agree with this, saw it a while back. Although he did seem to show a lot of the best bits of the film in those clips.

EDIT- ah its all in the trailer? My bad never saw the trailer, I'm glad I didn't.

hurricanejbb:
Awesome! I was hoping this film would get a US release soon. Can't wait to check it out.

Also Bob, you're not missing much with "Priest". Matthew Buck ("Film Brain") of ThatGuyWithTheGlasses said it was horrible.

Really? (omnipresent picture of a wide-eyed owl, perhaps with some facial distortion via photoshop, accompanied by proudly misspelled meme "O RLY?") And what do you think? Bob is my favorite critic, in any medium, and I believe he has more thoughtful insight than any other, at least that I'm aware of. But I thought his failure to address the lack of depth and purpose behind Sucker Punch resulted in a misfire, and I disagree with his assessment of some of Roland Emmerich's later films.

Point is, you should never take anything a critic says, no matter how good (s)he is, as gospel. Hell, Ebert gave a thumbs up to Batman and Robin and Speed 2: Cruise Control.

Jonluw:

Tuqui:

The clips are from the trailer, so I don't think you need to worry about it.

Oh, cool. Then it's ok, still feels spoilery :P

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or