Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Return

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Return

The Sith Empire returns to Korriban and unlikely alliances form in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Watch Video

It's official. Bioware is the king of Star Wars. The fight between Santele's master and both Sith Lords sold it for me.

I CAN'T WATCH IT

PLEASE FIX IT.

Also more on topic I can't wait for this game!

I really dislike those moments in the video (and new Star Wars in general) where the Jedi/heroes show off for no reason, doing elaborate spins or Lightsabre twirls that do nothing to help them, and serve purely aesthetic purposes. It happened a few times in this video and it totally harshes my buzz.

Space Cowboys FUCK THE GALAXY!

They Return... but When?!.... WHHHEEENNN?!?!?

Still not seen some decent gameplay to make my judgment.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Their insistence upon hiding substantive combat videos from us doesn't exactly instill me with confidence either, but I'll remain cautiously hopeful for now.

Lucasarts, eat your heart out.

Not planning on buying this, but I'm happy to watch the pretty trailers.

Jedi have really gotten to the point where they ruin the "feel" of Star Wars. This trailer had me smiling in a few spots, but hardly ever when the Jedi were on screen. It can't even be thrown off as stupid lightsaber fights. The "I sense something" bullshit. Needlessly throwing your life away. A Sith killing his master just because. It doesn't feel like Star Wars and, even if it did, it's been overdone and I'm tired of it.

A freaking cowboy felt more Star Warsy than Jedi in this video (for me, at least). That's terribly sad.

Jumwa:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Their insistence upon hiding substantive combat videos from us doesn't exactly instill me with confidence either, but I'll remain cautiously hopeful for now.

Same; there are some combat videos but none that allow a good enough view to decide if the combat is fast or sluggish, if the controls are instant or delayed, and if its shit or good.
Not to mention by 'Story' they mean 'Publisher gave us this story" not "episode 4, 5, 6 story". You know needlessly contrived bull shit like you get from a call of duty rip off.
*awaits someone to bring opinions into this because nothing is inherently good or bad in quality*

I like Star Wars and this trailer was epic, but no amount of cinematic cutscenery is going to cover the fact the game itself looks like a cross between WoW and Battlefield Heroes, with lightsabers.

Pretty.

Too bad the game's nothing like this.

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Same; there are some combat videos but none that allow a good enough view to decide if the combat is fast or sluggish, if the controls are instant or delayed, and if its shit or good.

Exactly. I find "feel" to be a big part of combat, especially in MMOs where so many lack a good "feel" to them. Responses are slow, or poorly integrated, often making you feel like you're watching a character fight rather than controlling one in a fight.

That's not always transferable from a video alone, but to get any kind of notion of how a MMO is going to play we need to see some long, solid videos of a character fighting and interacting. Short little snippets of a second or two strung together just do not cut it in any way.

The Bandit:
Jedi have really gotten to the point where they ruin the "feel" of Star Wars. This trailer had me smiling in a few spots, but hardly ever when the Jedi were on screen. It can't even be thrown off as stupid lightsaber fights. The "I sense something" bullshit. Needlessly throwing your life away. A Sith killing his master just because. It doesn't feel like Star Wars and, even if it did, it's been overdone and I'm tired of it.

A freaking cowboy felt more Star Warsy than Jedi in this video (for me, at least). That's terribly sad.

A Sith killing his master just because is kind of what Sith do... If they see weakness, they exploit it for their own personal gain.

I sense something is still fairly corny though, I'll give you that. At least the way it's used here.

OK so, to the point Bioware. The game. Where is it? Where is my beta invite, is the most important question here.

Why the hell didn't they show this during EA's conference?

EA just showed a mash up of this trailer, and the two previous ones. It was disappointing as hell. This was awesome.

Why didn't they show this one?!

I need this game. Stat.

Whats up with these amazing cinematics. Its like they are not making a game but a movie.
At this rate the Old Republic will be just a FF game. Grind some monsters until the next cut scene/cinematic.

Awesome, it looked like an almost exact aggregate of 5 different scenes from the movies ><

Today we have finally seen someone in the Star Wars Galaxy that knows how to shoot accurately!!!!

I do love a pretty trailer. Especially when it has lightsaber duels and space cowboys.

Bioware is fricken brilliant when it comes to Star Wars stuff.

One of the coolest trailers I've seen. I love lightsaber fights.

But it's only on PC? Say whhhaaaaa..... I am dissapointed.

Amazing trailer, whether or not the came can compete is yet to be seen :)

captcha: opbygge iseraint

Perhaps not as cool as the other two, but still pretty fucking sweet.

Hopefully Bioware mixes things up a bit and gives us another one on the game's release.

thirion1850:
Pretty.

Too bad the game's nothing like this.

I think that would cause my computer to implode

That was awesome, I love all the cinematic BioWare is doing for this.

I don't care if the actual game doesn't look like the cinematic, until we get totally realistic graphics engines that can make game graphics the exact same as cinematics, the game graphics won't look like that.

Edit: Besides, since it is an MMO they are going to lower the graphics capabilities so that they can get as many people that can play it. Because, not everybody has a super-geewhiz PC.

JasonBurnout16:
One of the coolest trailers I've seen. I love lightsaber fights.

But it's only on PC? Say whhhaaaaa..... I am dissapointed.

That is because it is an MMO. I haven't seen many MMOs if any that have done any good on consoles.

This is coming from somebody that plays the majority of his games on a console, though if I feel like playing an MMO, I play it on my PC.

Zeetchmen:
Amazing trailer, whether or not the came can compete is yet to be seen :)

captcha: opbygge iseraint

If you get the game, you should name your character "Opbygge Iseraint", sounds like a good Jedi or Sith name. Well the first sounds Jedi and the last part sounds Sith.

I agree I am disappointed with gameplay, but the cinematics are beautiful. Why don't Bioware make a Star Wars movie and have done with it?

Anyway I'm trusting Bioware to make, at least a good rip off of WOW, and I haven't seen a truly terrible Bioware game.

What I expect however is that if any company is to create an MMORPG to rival WOW, then Bioware is who I would go to too.

I expect a rival, but won't be surprised by a rip off.

Jumwa:

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

Exactly. I find "feel" to be a big part of combat, especially in MMOs where so many lack a good "feel" to them. Responses are slow, or poorly integrated, often making you feel like you're watching a character fight rather than controlling one in a fight.

That's not always transferable from a video alone, but to get any kind of notion of how a MMO is going to play we need to see some long, solid videos of a character fighting and interacting. Short little snippets of a second or two strung together just do not cut it in any way.

Exactly; can't say for sure "Oh that's good stuff" but it can give you a basic understanding of how it might be. Like watching a video of WAR or LoTRO the combat looks a bit faster than it is.

The Bandit:

The "sense" is pretty default Star Wars foreshadowing, unfortunately. The self sacrifice was probably so the sith didn't force lightning the ship's engines while it took off, but that's not very well explained in the context of the trailer. Same with the Sith, it's kinda what Sith do, but lacks any real context unless you're familiar with what's going on.

The trailer seems more focused on pulling in existing Star Wars fans than it does an audience who may not be as familiar with the franchise. Either that, or they're assuming the latter audience won't care.

That trailer is the first really good job I've seen Bioware do showcasing the Smuggler, and balanced it well with the other 3 Republic classes. Now they just need to give some more loving to the Imperial Agent and to a lesser extent the Bounty Hunter.

Fucking awesome! Bioware i love you!

Now that release date please...

The Philistine:
The trailer seems more focused on pulling in existing Star Wars fans than it does an audience who may not be as familiar with the franchise. Either that, or they're assuming the latter audience won't care.

Agreed, especially considering the fact that most of the stuff (Guns, ships, people) we're seeing is just a variation of existing star wars creations. Like the fact the sith fleet is a slightly different imperial fleet, the smuggler's ship is Han's, and the troopers all look like clone troopers with slightly different armor.

And thats just the items, the whole trailer pretty much followed the first death star escap almost to a T. That might have been intentional for just this trailer though.

To all you guys praising Bioware, they didn't make this trailer. Blur Studio did. They make all the trailers for Bioware, not Bioware directly.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here