The Big Picture: Going Green, Part II

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Going Green, Part II

Everything you need to know (and more) about Green Lantern.

Watch Video

it has about as much of a weird storyline as Zelda!
but still very educational since I knew very little about Green Lantern.

I could never consider watching The Big Picture a waste of time Bob.

I had always wondered as a child why there were two green lanterns and now I know.

And I have to say I was a bit upset at the missed oppourtunity to mention this....

It's not a waste, just saved me an afternoon of wiki articles. Time to replace it with the X-Men wikis. Those should be short and concise... right?

That was fun. Thanks for the video MovieBob.

Uh-oh: Was that last bit about the movie not using any of those 2 episodes backstory and Green Lantern cannon a bit of foreshadowing Bob?

Is it at least well done? I mean the DC movie-verses can be considered their own entities at this point, right? I don't want to wait until Friday to hear about the movie but I'll hold out...or I'll try to anyway.

Well Now i have started to read Comics *again*

Good job on summaries up the recent Green Lantern stories to those who aren't into comic books. You think it's weird that Luthor is a deputy Lantern of Greed, how does Wonder Woman represent love seeing how she doesn't have much of a romance life (yeah I know why she became a deputy Star Sapphire but still)?
However do to the recent news of the DC reboot I wonder how much they will change in the Hal and the Green Lantern histories?

I wouldn't call it a waste of my time if they don't follow any of that in the movie. I read blackest night and the rebirth stories once they went to the hard back compilations and while I enjoyed them there were bits that didn't make a whole lot of sense. Thanks then, Bob, for sorting out all that continuity in a neat little package.

You're like the guy who runs my local comic shop. After I decided to jump into the batman comics at issue 700 (only have a few of the compilation books) I went down to the shop, put the issue on the counter and stated "Wtf did I just read?". He was more than happy to explain to me that I'd just caught the tail end of a story arc where Batman fought the devil himself.(or something like that)

So thanks for being that guy, but on the internet.

mmmmmmmmmmmkaaaaaay

i really should not read comic books, too much stuff to take in, but thanks i guess i now know how dc superheroes can't die which makes some sort of sense i guess

Freakout456:
And I have to say I was a bit upset at the missed oppourtunity to mention this....

Thank you for that. Best laugh I've had ina while.

OT: Thank you for that MovieBob. I'm not a big fan of your reviews (more a difference in tastes then anything) but I really enjoy the Big Picture and Intermission article. Any chance of you doing others like that detailing other continuities/messes? (X-men seem to be the biggest offender here.)

Oh Batman. You silly awesome most dangerous non-flying bird alive.

Okay DC, that turn around with Hal Jordan into the pantheon of emotions bit is really clever, and actually sounds interesting. Also this was great to watch as I'm a big fan of The Spoony Experiment, but never much on DC comics so I had no clue what the hell the bit with Black Lantern Spoony was, other than he was dead and evil. Now it all makes sense, so yay for double usage.

On a mildly related note, I normally don't read comics, but recently I got my hands on Buffy: Season 8 and Angel: After the Fall, to round out my months of bingin on the two TV series. Having read through them, I was wearing my best "WFT???" face, especially near the end of After the Fall when almost every major character is killed off at least once (some several times) and brought back through time travel. Repeatedly. And that's before we get into the universe-creating sex scene from Buffy:S8.

Watching The Big Picture helps me realize that stuff like that doesn't count as wierd as far as comics go, it's the norm. For some reason, that makes me feel better...

Scarim Coral:
Good job on summaries up the recent Green Lantern stories to those who aren't into comic books. You think it's weird that Luthor is a deputy Lantern of Greed, how does Wonder Woman represent love seeing how she doesn't have much of a romance life (yeah I know why she became a deputy Star Sapphire but still)?
However do to the recent news of the DC reboot I wonder how much they will change in the Hal and the Green Lantern histories?

Luther has always been jealous of superman's power as well as the love and respect he gets from the people of metropolis and to a larger extent the world so it would make sense that hes an orange lantern, as for wonder woman her love is more of the maternal care for everything kind of love rather than the romantic kind (plus it was a good excuse to get her into a skimpy outfit)

OT: great show bob definity one of your better ones, and you did a pretty thrueoe job of explaining GLs history given the short time you had(kinda disappointed that you didn't mention kyles girlfriend in the fridge).

Dude you are awesome. You are my weekly source of "Heel yeah!". Please don't stop being awesome. Or else... Ya know... Bad things happen.

That whole Necron thing sounds freaking awesome.

And of course what a way to end brightest day, with all kinds of random stuff, and of course, death.

That solution was pretty inventive, I like it.
I think these episodes are my favourite of the series yet, you should focus the big picture completely on comics and have yet another show for the stuff the big picture was supposed to be about.

Kinda make me want to read a whole bunch of green lantern now (although I'm not more hype by the movie since it would take forever to get to the emotional spectrum)

that black lantern thing was pretty damn clever

Geoff Johns, capable of taking silly concepts like emotion-powered, rainbow-colored armies and making them awesome. That man is one of the best things to happen to Green Lantern.

Well when you say that he was possessed by an intergalactic fear parasite representing the fear emotion of yellow in the emotional EM spectrum that made him do bad stuff that way it almost sounds silly.

Now comes the inevitable problem with Necron in that heroes will continue to come back from the dead and the previous clever reason wont make sense anymore.

This cannot possibly be a waste of time for me. Despite basically being the biggest geek in the family, I know little of comic books- that's my brother's department. As it so happens, Green Lantern is his all-time favorite. So now, when the movie comes out, I'll be able to follow the pre-viewing rant... regardless of how much/little of the backstory comes into play. Thanks for saving me the extra lecture time!

Wow Bob, the more of these "Comics are Weird" episodes that you do, the more thankful I get that I never got into comic books.

I like Bob's stuff, but these videos about comic backstory are starting to get a bit boring. I mean don't get me wrong, comics are interesting, but I was hoping for a bit more analysis from Bob- in this case, specifically about the implications of fanboy bitching being able to directly steer the course of a franchise. I was looking forward to hearing his opinions on that, especially as H.E.A.T actually got quite nasty, even personal.

very informative, thanks

Oh, joy, my previous post was lost forever during the site issues.
Oh well. I'll try to reproduce it.

If listening to you is a waste of time, it's time well wasted. This video was incredibly interesting and I love the way you tell it. Bonus, when I first clicked on the thread, I didn't realise it was the new one. When I did, a bolt of joy made me understand what it must be like to wake up on Christmas day having forgotten what day it is, and suddenly remembering. I don't remember a sudden realization ever making me so happy. Usually sudden realizations horrify or terrify me.

About the content on the video, it's all very weird, yes (comics are weird) but in an extremely fascinating way. Please do more of these in the future... although I love other Big Picture topics too so I don't know, ideally you'd start a spin-off series that's just about explaining comics to noobs like me, but you probably don't have enough hours in the day.

Either way, keep up the good work!

Good to catch up on DC, I gave up reading them and Marvel about a decade ago when I learned that it doesn't matter how cool your character is if they get regular stories for more then two decades under a dozen different writers, they cant help but get turned into some idiotic thing that cant even get compared to the original anymore.

Redem:
Kinda make me want to read a whole bunch of green lantern now (although I'm not more hype by the movie since it would take forever to get to the emotional spectrum)

I'm in the same boat - never really felt like reading comics before, but this actually makes the whole thing sound cool enough to make me want to. Bob mentioned before that jumping in at the start of an arc, and just looking up anything that you don't understand if it interests you is a good enough start, so maybe I'll give it a try ...

"Everyone forgives him except kinda sorta Batman, because.. because Batman."

Not only are these videos highly informative, they also have awesome one-liners that make me literally laugh out loud. Excellent one this week, Bob.

FROM THE MOVIE TRAILER:
Main Character (green lantern) says: "I know, right??" after showing off his new suit

Narrator says he uses his powers to "Kick ass!"

Yea, Bob, I don't think they're going to use anything but the name. I don't even read comics but my "bro seneses" are tingling and telling me they're trying to make a guy in a green costume wearing a ring look cool to the bigger douchebag market.

It's gonna suck.

That wasn't a waste. It's always good to know exactly why my Father would despise or love a superhero movie based on the comic books since I can never completely follow along normally anyway. If only he had your style of condensing everything into short videos and pictures, I wouldn't feel lost all the time when he rants.

i liked this one bob, the whole mini-mythos exploration videos seem to bring out your inner geek / fanboy and you seem to invest yourself and do a really good job on them, well done you get a slow applause too

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here