Trailers: Bioshock Infinite: Windows Into Other Worlds Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bioshock Infinite: Windows Into Other Worlds Trailer

Ken Levine talks about Elizabeth's ability to manipulate tears, and how tears influence the gameplay in BioShock Infinite.

Watch Video

It looks fantastic... Why do I have to wait till next year!!!

... oh but am I the only one who instantly thought "Fringe" when he was talking about things that dont exist or from other sides?

I was onboard with this game until I saw this. Wow. They're really, really stretching the premise thin with this one. "Tears?" Seriously? That's your new mechanic? We have Braid, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, and this is the best game mechanics interpretation of quantum physics you could come up with? "You can have one of these pieces of cover, pick one." Weak.

Anyone else notice the : Revenge of the Jedi on the movie thing at the end? :D

Korten12:
Anyone else notice the : Revenge of the Jedi on the movie thing at the end? :D

GAH!!!! TIME TRAVEL!!!! FUCK YES!!!!

This just became my most anticipated game.

I so can't wait for this game. Was excited about it the moment I found out the original team who did Bioshock was making it.

not excited about this, but still excited about the game.

I love the world of Columbia, but it's still Bioshock, with all it's cheap scares and creepiness=depth mentality.

Had it just have been about the world, I might have bought this. Just like I would have played Bioshock a lot more had it been set in Rapture's heyday.

That actually doesn't sound so great. Overall I'm loving everything I hear about Bioshock Infinite, but this in particular does not strike me as an interesting game mechanic.

The part with the horse was awesome though.

Eh, this doesn't interest me. When I first clicked the video, I thought that it was going to be about "tears" as in what comes out of your eyes when you're sad, which would have been infinitely more interesting. This will likely not be my favorite aspect of the game.

Watson and Crick and (ahem) Wilkins and Franklin...

this looks so AMAZING OoO especially the last scene who shows the different realities in a great way :D
can really not wait until this game comes out XD

This seems a bit ham fisted to me, at first it sounded like you could open windows to alternate worlds to evade enemies or find new things, but this just seems shallow.
I may be wrong though.

So it's a sort of cheap "rebuild the city" gimmich, only toned down for an FPS... Definitely not a turn-on for me

NickCaligo42:
I was onboard with this game until I saw this. Wow. They're really, really stretching the premise thin with this one. "Tears?" Seriously? That's your new mechanic? We have Braid, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom, and Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, and this is the best game mechanics interpretation of quantum physics you could come up with? "You can have one of these pieces of cover, pick one." Weak.

Yeah not liking this.

Deshara:
So it's a sort of cheap "rebuild the city" gimmich, only toned down for an FPS... Definitely not a turn-on for me

Reminds me of red faction armageddon letting you rebuild things for cover.

So im guessing Elizibeth is the reason you see the world in the demo changing e.g one guy has a hammer and sicle badge instead of is normal one for a few seconds. Guessing by the name, I assue the game ends with you dying, elzibeth then resets it or something, so it ges on forever. Or you were nonexistant and she brougt you from another world.

I dont like this element. Game would be better without this, it just seems too insane/unbelivible for my liking.

I just heard a video game company mention inspiration from Watson and Crick and Einstein and Heisenberg. This looks so fucking cool.

The mechanic... seems rather shallow, it doesn't matter what words you use to replace the word magic, it's still magic in our eyes. I'd prefer them to not fuff about with trying to explain a weird mechanic, and just go for a better mechanic if possible.

this isnt my name:
I dont like this element. Game would be better without this, it just seems too insane/unbelivible for my liking.

I'm so happy there's other people here who agree with me. It really is the biggest punchline in gaming, seeing Ken Levine build up all this stuff, talking about parallels with science at different historical periods, and then... HONK HONK! Shallow, clown-shoes game mechanic, heavy-handed, overly fantastical, outright messianic scene of a woman bringing a dead horse back to life and shitting daisies. It's like something right out of Prince of Persia 2008. I laughed my ass off. "Epona! Noooo!"

You know what it is, though? It's just a really weak connection to the plot that's been established for us--this whole thing about a detective who's been sent to Columbia, this detached city-state that's trying to embody the mentality that America should look after itself, shut itself off from the rest of the world, and not bother with anybody else's problems. It doesn't fit. In the original Bioshock, social Darwinism and genetic engineering had a clear parallel with one another. The philosophy and the science meshed effectively, though they could've done a lot better with the last act. How do alternate realities and quantum physics have anything to do with this sense of national elitism? How does picking and choosing pieces of cover in your environment effectively build the player's understanding of the philosophical end of this game? There's no justification they could possibly come up with that would make this make sense. What's more, this blatant, fantastical imagery is a really jarring contrast with the dusty, steampunky, Jules Vernian motif they've been going with so far.

I think they've stretched the premise pretty damn thin. Still, day one purchase for me. Know why? It'll be the most unintentionally hilarious piece of media since M. Night Shaymalan's The Happening. :D I will pay top dollar to watch this train wreck firsthand!

I don't think this mechanic is just used for building cover. Didn't anyone else see the end of the trailer, where they open a tear and appear in front of a theater playing Star Wars?

Looks like there's time travel involved. This interests me even more about the game.

NickCaligo42:

this isnt my name:

I'm so happy there's other people here who agree with me. It really is the biggest punchline in gaming, seeing Ken Levine build up all this stuff, talking about parallels with science at different historical periods, and then... HONK HONK! Shallow, clown-shoes game mechanic, heavy-handed, overly fantastical, outright messianic scene of a woman bringing a dead horse back to life and shitting daisies. It's like something right out of Prince of Persia 2008. I laughed my ass off. "Epona! Noooo!"

You know what it is, though? It's just a really weak connection to the plot that's been established for us--this whole thing about a detective who's been sent to Columbia, this detached city-state that's trying to embody the mentality that America should look after itself, shut itself off from the rest of the world, and not bother with anybody else's problems. It doesn't fit. In the original Bioshock, social Darwinism and genetic engineering had a clear parallel with one another. The philosophy and the science meshed effectively, though they could've done a lot better with the last act. How do alternate realities and quantum physics have anything to do with this sense of national elitism? How does picking and choosing pieces of cover in your environment effectively build the player's understanding of the philosophical end of this game? There's no justification they could possibly come up with that would make this make sense. What's more, this blatant, fantastical imagery is a really jarring contrast with the dusty, steampunky, Jules Vernian motif they've been going with so far.

I think they've stretched the premise pretty damn thin. Still, day one purchase for me. Know why? It'll be the most unintentionally hilarious piece of media since M. Night Shaymalan's The Happening. :D I will pay top dollar to watch this train wreck firsthand!

Uh maybe iot represents... Uhings coming in from other places and making things better or worse... Yeah dont know how it fitsin. It may mak me less excited about the game, but its still a day one buy. Ignoring this stupid elemnt, the game still looks to be great, columbia looks great, I love the skyline idea, I hope it has morefreedom. I loved bioshock 1 so I trust these people to make a great game. I r4egret selling Bioshock now. I really wish I could play it again. I disagree ith you about this being a trainweck, this game will be great, stupid parts i there, but great overall.

this isnt my name:
Uh maybe iot represents... Uhings coming in from other places and making things better or worse... Yeah dont know how it fitsin.

Contributions of external cultures... actually not a half-bad guess, but I don't think they really thought of that, otherwise we wouldn't be sitting here pointing out how jarring it is.

I'm not really a fan of the first game, myself. I did play it, I did enjoy it well enough, it's competent...ish... but the level design kinda' stinks, the Little Sisters are a weak crutch for a morality system that the game didn't need (not to mention a heavy-handed vehicle for the game's political agenda), the constant re-routing and fetch-quests are really annoying, and I feel that the plot falls apart at the end. All in all there isn't anything it does better than its predecessors, it comes off as being really overly heavy-handed, and it can't seem to make its mind up about its design goals, and I see a lot of that coming through here as well. Thus, I stand by my statement: train wreck.

This is a pretty clever way of justifying the "Anything we want to happen can happen" mechanic. It allows for any plot developments they like, while limiting your capabilities simply by saying, "that's not happening in any 'adjacent' versions of Columbia" and/or "there's no tears here."

Plus, you know, it looks really fun.

NickCaligo42:
In the original Bioshock, social Darwinism and genetic engineering had a clear parallel with one another. The philosophy and the science meshed effectively, though they could've done a lot better with the last act. How do alternate realities and quantum physics have anything to do with this sense of national elitism? How does picking and choosing pieces of cover in your environment effectively build the player's understanding of the philosophical end of this game?

It represents two major flaws in America:

1. Historical revisionism, where we romanticize the "what might have been" and rewrite history so we are the good guys. Now, every culture does this to some degree or another, but America is particularly fond of macho power fantasies dressed up as heroism.

2. Religion. America loves proclaiming that "God is on our side," and portraying Jesus as a white guy. Elizabeth's powers are God-like, which is why the Founders want to use her as a weapon, like America uses God as a propaganda device.

Plus, BioShock is a satire of the genre, and fond of playing with narrative judo and metafiction to reference the fourth wall. The WYK plot twist was a subversion of Objectivism in the same way that Elizabeth's semi-God-like powers are a subversion of religious fundamentalism.

I'm actually considering getting a pre-order for this game.

As a side-note, I still don't know how these guys jump from track to track without dislocating thier shoulders. That kinda jarrs me out of it a bit.

NickCaligo42:

this isnt my name:
Uh maybe iot represents... Uhings coming in from other places and making things better or worse... Yeah dont know how it fitsin.

Contributions of external cultures... actually not a half-bad guess, but I don't think they really thought of that, otherwise we wouldn't be sitting here pointing out how jarring it is.

I'm not really a fan of the first game, myself. I did play it, I did enjoy it well enough, it's competent...ish... but the level design kinda' stinks, the Little Sisters are a weak crutch for a morality system that the game didn't need (not to mention a heavy-handed vehicle for the game's political agenda), the constant re-routing and fetch-quests are really annoying, and I feel that the plot falls apart at the end. All in all there isn't anything it does better than its predecessors, it comes off as being really overly heavy-handed, and it can't seem to make its mind up about its design goals, and I see a lot of that coming through here as well. Thus, I stand by my statement: train wreck.

It dosent have a political agenda.
Atmosphe was great, I loved it.

I like the idea of choosing what you get from the game (I know the guy chose cover but the options looked like cover, exploding barrel, or escape route, also Levine mentioned being abble to pick a teporary ally and pull them through from other worlds (assuming you would get Tank, DPS or Medic, or even better 2 guys will help, one will join the vox trying to kill you but will have an Op'ed weapon or something

as for the whole fundamentalism and jarring soft science, its a game. As a Physics major I understand quantum Physics and multiple universe theories. I dont see an issue with how they use it, and I'm just glad they DONT seem to be using the crazily overdone time manipulation Mechanic

Fridge Brilliance: Maybe it's called Bioshock "Infinite" because there are infinite versions of Columbia that are all possible? O.o

I can't wait to play this game, it looks like it's going to be one hell of an experience. ^.^

NickCaligo42:
*snip* How does picking and choosing pieces of cover in your environment effectively build the player's understanding of the philosophical end of this game? *snip*

Yes, because shooting bees out of your hand was a GREAT visual metaphor for social Darwinism.

Face it guys, the first Bioshock was every bit as fantastical as this one seems to be.

I had my doubts at first, but this is starting to look pretty good.

I'm glad that there's actually some characterization this time around in comparison to the audio tapes of the first game, which made all the characters seem totally distant and unconnected to the plot.

And that bit with the horse was rather beautiful.

I want Elizabeth to open a tear and bring in an alternate reality where this game is already out.

....that's awesome and all, but I can't help thinking.......what the Flippin heck does Einstein and Heisenberg's work have to do with, essentially, Materializing things out of Thin air?

If Einstein could've figured THAT out.....we'd be fucking Golden!......perhaps literally?!

wow, this looks really good, plus star wars

There's only one problem that I see with this game. It's using Games for Windows Live, I cannot stomach that software, and it's pretty well the only reason that I haven't reinstalled Bioshock 1/2 since I reset my computer. It's a damned shame really, because Infinite looks like a shitload of fun to me.

This looks great! Not only is the mechanic interesting but unless I'm mistaken instead of one flying steampunk city representing critical ideas shaping turn-of-the-century America (and almost certainly Western society at large) we're getting 4?!? Hmm... what were the big ideas of that era? I suppose isolationism and national elitism is going to be the big theme of the primary Columbia. What else? Communism? Eugenics? Colonialism? Industrialization? Capitalism? Maybe I'm completely wrong about this but the possibilities really have me excited about this.

This will probably be either incredible, or it'll work something like the morality systems in inFamous and the old Bioshocks; rather irritating.

Anyone else read the book The Scar by China Mevielle? The whole 'possibilities' aspect is almost verbatim from that...

(Read it if you haven't. Awesome mix of weird fantasy, sci fi, and high seas swashbucklin)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here