Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Bounty Hunter Progression

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Bounty Hunter Progression

Will you choose the technologically fueled Powertech or the dual blaster wielding Mercenary for your Bounty Hunter's progression?

Watch Video

Where are the hats? If anything Bounty Hunters should have massive hats.
EDIT nvm I'm confusing bounty hunters with smugglers.

Slightly serious now:
The sound is great as always. It really has a Star Wars vibe going, but the game vissualy looks rather mediocore.

*waits for the first Wah-wah-WoW post*

I wonder how long until they close the servers on this one.

Feh, they managed to choose the ugliest looking visual design for most of this class's armours...

I wonder if they could make it like starwars bounty hunter gameplay wise

which was an actual game that I loved

The tears from the failure and let down this game will cause will be glorious.

Give me an MMO with a virtual world to live in. Some place where I can create and carve out my own existence with a varying list of skills. A virtual Sci-Fi or fantasy world where the content is made by the people playing in their virtual sand box. Don't give me a set path with a set character with set equipment doing the same quest lines over and over.

I will not be playing any more of these so called MMOs where after 200 hours of game play I get to look like everyone else and grind the same end game content as anyone else.

Team Hollywood:

Will you choose the technologically fueled Powertech or the dual blaster wielding Mercenary for your Bounty Hunter's progression?

My Bounty Hunter will rely on bounties. heh.

Well to all the nay sayers, I say that I am actually looking forward to this game, It will be a different sort of MMO, to date most MMOs have been run around and do random quests to reach level cap asap (while still doing certain "iconic" quests and then proceed to start grinding max level raids for gear.

Whereas this is going to be an MMO based of of an existing RPG IP.......That actually maintains the elements that made the RPG as Iconic as it is I mean when it came out not many games have universally recognized acronyms KOTOR was one of the first we never said ES3M ( elder scrolls 3 Morrowind) We simply wrote out the whole thing........Basically what I'm saying is based on the preceding IP and the reputation of the developer, just don't Knock it 'till you try it.

Geh, not impressed so far. Why is it that almost all photage there is seem to be of the bounty-hunters? (I remember atleast three vids posted here).
How come we don't see any Jedi? Why does the Jedi in this move just swing his sabers for two sec then takes a sucker-punch and dies?
Meh. Not saying it's "like WoW", just that I really wanna see how the PvP will work out..

The game play on this looks like a poor clunky one man band of the kotor games. Do all mmo's play like this?
click mouse, wait a second, click again to perform other move

danintexas:
Give me an MMO with a virtual world to live in. Some place where I can create and carve out my own existence with a varying list of skills. A virtual Sci-Fi or fantasy world where the content is made by the people playing in their virtual sand box. Don't give me a set path with a set character with set equipment doing the same quest lines over and over.

Wasn't that Second Life?

MorganL4:
Well to all the nay sayers, I say that I am actually looking forward to this game, It will be a different sort of MMO, to date most MMOs have been run around and do random quests to reach level cap asap (while still doing certain "iconic" quests and then proceed to start grinding max level raids for gear.

Whereas this is going to be an MMO based of of an existing RPG IP.......That actually maintains the elements that made the RPG as Iconic as it is I mean when it came out not many games have universally recognized acronyms KOTOR was one of the first we never said ES3M ( elder scrolls 3 Morrowind) We simply wrote out the whole thing........Basically what I'm saying is based on the preceding IP and the reputation of the developer, just don't Knock it 'till you try it.

While it seems that they're a lot of end-game content planned (only one instance has been revealed so far, and we're not sure that it is for both sides), Bioware has been mum on what much of that will be. However, the story-lines for each class are said to be divergent enough to justify playing new classes when you want something different.

For those who are more interested in Star Wars: The Old Republic, whether you're planning to buy it, want to join a group of players from the escapist community in game, or just want updates on news from the multiple sites our group monitors, join our Escapist Group.

(Note to Mods:I wasn't sure if that last paragraph qualified as advertising as it is an Escapist Group. If it is simply edit it out please)

This looks kinda shitty. The visual style is way to generic in my taste.

Realitycrash:
Geh, not impressed so far. Why is it that almost all photage there is seem to be of the bounty-hunters? (I remember atleast three vids posted here).
How come we don't see any Jedi? Why does the Jedi in this move just swing his sabers for two sec then takes a sucker-punch and dies?

There's a difference between them not providing the videos, and you just not watching them. And they're just showing the class off, obviously they're not going to have the Jedi hand it to him.

The Gentleman:

(Note to Mods:I wasn't sure if that last paragraph qualified as advertising as it is an Escapist Group. If it is simply edit it out please)

Ever since the Escapist promoted a contributor's D&D book in the News Feed, I'd say we should be able to "advertise" whatever we want xD

danintexas:
The tears from the failure and let down this game will cause will be glorious.

I will not be playing any more of these so called MMOs where after 200 hours of game play I get to look like everyone else and grind the same end game content as anyone else.

Can't agree with you more, honestly. I preferred the days of sandboxes like Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies (before it sucked even worse) to the Everquest/WoW era of metagamey pseudo-RPGs.

Still, I'm not sure it's meant to be the "same quest lines over and over" type of game like WoW or EQ so much as it's meant to be a Massively Multiplayer Black Isle RPG (MMBIRPG) with a stronger sense of story progression. That makes it even less of a sandbox, but... probably more of an RPG.

There's a difference between them not providing the videos, and you just not watching them. And they're just showing the class off, obviously they're not going to have the Jedi hand it to him.

Fine. I still wanna see how they balance PvP, though.

He was shooting the floor at 1:05ish >>" This is what I don't like, the shooting animation haven't changed since the first kotor._.

Thats soo cool! if its any good i might even buy it...

Either there's a huge amount of power inflation here for the sake of showing off (like, level 30 bounty hunter against level 5 enemies level of power inflation), which is fine, or this must be a very much solo-oriented class.

Either way, this looks like a really cool class, enough to perhaps make me reconsider wanting to play a Jedi in this.

At first I was generally interested in TOR, but now I think I recline towards..."Meh".In all the videos thay have released I haven't seen anything that's not already in another MMO.

"Ohh look it's gonna be story centered" - so they are making Kotor with a little multiplayer and I have to finish an entire conversation before the mother***er tells me how many Ewoks he wants dead.

"Oh look stationary shootouts between player and NPC, it's totally nothing like waving your hammer untill the boar falls and gives you 2xp" - *puts lips around gun barrel*

"Oh looky - there are companions Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay,everyone is gonna have a woookie couse'we think the human race consist's of easy to empress fanboys, who dream of being Harrison Ford"

The only thing I like at the moment is the small amount of classes wich will make balansing easier.The problem is the servers will be full with Jedi and Sith and it will be a bitch going trough the raids, oops a met "operations" without a proper tank or healer.

And finally let's face it guys - everyone is gonna try to make a female version of Darth Maul.As the Emperor had said: "It is inevitable"

All the armour in that was good besides the first level of mercenary. Looked scary and unappealing. Overall good video and I wished I could play this.

fi6eka:
"Ohh look it's gonna be story centered" - so they are making Kotor with a little multiplayer and I have to finish an entire conversation before the mother***er tells me how many Ewoks he wants dead.

"Oh look stationary shootouts between player and NPC, it's totally nothing like waving your hammer untill the boar falls and gives you 2xp" - *puts lips around gun barrel*

"A little" multiplayer? Aside from certain quests, it's all multiplayer. Or did I misinterpret this comment? And if your idea of a fun game is just having some guy give you a checklist with accept/decline buttons on it, there's plenty of MMOs that cater to that type of "storytelling" if you want to call it that.

I'll admit that the combat can look a little too stationary, but it doesn't have to be. I moved quite a bit while fighting when I played it.

Notch just needs to make "World of Minecraft" and that will be humanity's final achievement.

I guess that Rancor hasn't played Street Fighter.

fi6eka:

The only thing I like at the moment is the small amount of classes wich will make balansing easier.The problem is the servers will be full with Jedi and Sith and it will be a bitch going trough the raids, oops a met "operations" without a proper tank or healer.

Sith/Jedi are tanks, healers, and dps. Shouldn't be hard.

10 internet dollars says that there will be more "Boba Fetts" then "Darth Vaders".

I am looking forward to this MMO. Sure, its WoW like, but thats not a bad thing. WoW is successful for a reason. And the fact this one is more story based then other MMO's is a great thing.

rsvp42:

fi6eka:

"A little" multiplayer? Aside from certain quests, it's all multiplayer. Or did I misinterpret this comment? And if your idea of a fun game is just having some guy give you a checklist with accept/decline buttons on it, there's plenty of MMOs that cater to that type of "storytelling" if you want to call it that.

I'll admit that the combat can look a little too stationary, but it doesn't have to be. I moved quite a bit while fighting when I played it.

I just watched 3 hours of leaked beta footage of the Imperial Agent at level 1 and i can safely say that combat doesn't have to be stationary. The guy i was watching play it was rolling between cover all the time.

fi6eka:

They're not stationary at all, enemies will move and take cover behind stuff as well as try to flank you if they can. If you engage them in melee they pull out vibroswords and fight you with those.

The jedi depicted in that trailer were some of the noobiest jedi i've ever seen.

I mean, maybe its just me but I always figured if a jedi is in melee range you'd be kinda f****, yet the way the bounter hunter was dodging the strikes and making the jedi look like an angry infant... Well least it made me laugh.

So if I do play this mmo, guess im rolling republic trooper/bounty hunter. Expectations are meh, im not a big mmo fan but looks close enough to kotor/bioware rpgs for me to give this 1 a try.

Was it just me or did I expect more weapons and gadgets? For instance, I saw a lot of short ranged attacks (Okay, carbonite AOE was pretty cool) but what about long ranged stuff? It all seemed to stem primarily from a simple blaster...I though there's be a sniper rifle or long range missile at least.

In addition, the Armor looked hideous and awkward. They're going to create a Bounty Hunter kit and there isn't even anything to approximate a Jango Fett custom suit at least? Don't get me wrong I like the "rough" look too, but that shouldn't be the only option. Well, I guess the Tech path does have a better suit than is listed in the videos, according to the website.

I may be a bit hard on my judgements - it appears that the Bounty Hunter is supposed to equate to the Trooper, not Smuggler, so I can see the designs being a little more suited in this case.

fi6eka:
At first I was generally interested in TOR, but now I think I recline towards..."Meh".In all the videos thay have released I haven't seen anything that's not already in another MMO.

"Oh looky - there are companions Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay,everyone is gonna have a woookie couse'we think the human race consist's of easy to empress fanboys, who dream of being Harrison Ford"

And finally let's face it guys - everyone is gonna try to make a female version of Darth Maul.As the Emperor had said: "It is inevitable"

I kinda agree with you, it looks repetitive, and the combat dosen't seem very active...
But isn't that just like almost every other MMO?

Some people say that this will be a big opponent for WoW, i don't believe that, it dosen't look like it brings anything new to the table :/

I can still hope though :)

fi6eka:

Okay, thinking like this... your grind-mind is sort of missing the point.

Let's say a Czerka guy wants you to go kill a bunch of Ewoks. Okay, you can accept and do that. But Czerka are jerks, and Ewoks are cuddly teddy bears, so you might refuse, or accept in order to sabotage the efforts of Czerka's people on Endor.

You'll actually be roleplaying, rather than just grinding quests.

I haven't considered this to be worth any thought at all, but if the combat is fluid and fun, and if the bounty hunters act and fight like Jango from Star Wars Bounty Hunter (fantastic game, play it if you can) I might consider it.

Probably not though.

Bounty Hunter is mirror to The Trooper, Imperial Agent is mirror to the Smuggler.

The game looks fine, but Old Republic Online is rapidly becoming the "Duke Nukem Forever" of MMOs. I mean sure, we get videos and comments about how "we're working on it, it will be out any month now" but we have yet to even see a release date other than EA/Bioware insisting it will be out for 2011 still (though an increasing number of people are saying 2012 which is pushing the ridiculous with all the other delays before this).

As far as the way the game looks, I think it looks fine. I am hoping what we're seeing is "truth in advertising" of the gameplay footage for a while. Typically most MMOs and computer games in general show game footage that is "perfect" and doesn't really resemble the game itself in actual play upon release. If the game is actually like they are showing then it's fine, but if this is an ideal version and the game is actually a lot stiffer than that the game is going to have problems....

The way the game seems to play is fine, it's an RPG (stat/gear driven) not an action game, so no... fluid, twitch based combat is not what your going to find here. It's not a persistant world shooter, or god of war type brawler, and isn't supposed to be one. Things move the way they do because it's supposed to give time for reactions, results, and yes, number crunching based on gear and skill stats to acheive results. That isn't to everyone's taste, but it is what the game is. I do expect those who don't care for this are going to see a rise in persistant world action games over the next few years though.

As far as it competing with WoW goes, it's important to note that WoW is showing it's age, despite having held up well due to it's art style. What's more for all defenders of it, "Cataclysm" was generally lacking to put it mildly, and combined with burn out it's already losing players. There are no guarantees in business, but right now if a game is going to replace it as #1 this seems to be the time for it to happen, and so far "Old Republic Online" is the only game budgeted and developed at a level to come close to launching with the nessicary amount of content.

Being WoW-like is not a big deal, there is no real need to change a working format that does exactly what it's intending to do well. It's sort of like changing the rules of Chess or Checkers just to be differant and "innovate" there is no real point. In some cases you just come up with a match of form and function that works perfectly and endures. I think turn based RPGs (even if some people hate them) and twin stick shooters are other examples of near perfection as a design style/concept for what they are intending to do. WoW's format is unlikely to change signifigantly for a long time, and continue to be the standard, simply because it works so well, and while you can change things changes to this paticular formula tend to be viewed very subjectively, despite what people might think about what "everyone wants" attempts to mix up the formula have not been embraced by the community as a whole. Listen to a forum populated by people who want a "new style" and all of them might agree with that, but few will agree on the specifics of what it should be, and THAT is why things have stayed pretty much where they are.

In short, it looks fine to me, given what it's trying to do. Only time will tell if it's going to be a massive success, like most gamers I plan to try it, but it remains to be seen if it will hold my interest. All told though I am getting tired of having my chain jerked, and feel they should be putting down a release date, even if that involves committing to a date next year.

Powetech showed promise at first, but then.....I don't think this will be the WoW-killer. Bioware can say "oooooh Lightsabers, Bounty hunters and branching dialogue OOOOOOHHH" all they want, but it won't change the idea that I find those gameplay videos terrible.

I'll give them a + for the last CGI trailer though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here