Trailers: Guild Wars 2: Ascalonian Catacombs Cinematic

Guild Wars 2: Ascalonian Catacombs Cinematic

Learn the tale of the cursed dead of Ascalon that continue to prey on the living.

Watch Video

Does The Escapist need to wait until trailers arrive through official channels, or can we submit these through the tip line?

Either way, it's still awesome.

I very much liked this trailer. Having played the first I can say that the sense of immensity and fatality spelled out by King Adelbern's actions is really transported well here. I hope this will be one of many good cinematics.

Woot Guild Wars. Though if only arenanet would anounce the mesmer and finish the game already.

Fantastic dungeon trailer though

the art style is gorgeous i wish a lot more game companies would do something like this

If this is the quility for just ONE dungeon than I can't wait to see the rest of the dungeon cinematics!

Also man the King is such a douche for not admitting to defeat.

I do love that trailer, can't wait for GW2.

I wonder how much the game actually will contain when they pour this much time and effort into the trailers...

2xDouble:
Does The Escapist need to wait until trailers arrive through official channels, or can we submit these through the tip line?

Either way, it's still awesome.

Yes and no. Oftentimes developers will send us trailers, but we will also go find things when it's appropriate or personally find it interesting.

If you see something we haven't reported on and likewise think it's something others would have interest in seeing, yes please do send it in.

Spaec:
I wonder how much the game actually will contain when they pour this much time and effort into the trailers...

This is just a dungeon cinematic. If you'd like to see some (poorly represented, I admit) gameplay in that same dungeon, have a look-see:

Shame the press people being recorded here didn't really use the dynamic combat very well, (seriously? not one dodge roll or evasion technique?) but at least the pictures are pretty. Note also, this is the easier "Story Mode". Dungeons get much, much harder than this.

Slycne:
If you see something we haven't reported on and likewise think it's something others would have interest in seeing, yes please do send it in.

*cough* lol

EDIT: Oh yeah, and this walkthrough video came out about the same time:

I believe the cinematics director had thought something like the following at some point.

They called me mad: said I couldn't use static art to animate engaging cut scenes. They are wrong, all wrong. I shall prove them wrong! MUAHAHAHA

And proved them wrong, he did.

uhohimdead:
the art style is gorgeous i wish a lot more game companies would do something like this

The '08 Prince of Persia did, and as much as I enjoyed the game for it, it still didn't end well for them because for some reason a lot of people didn't. Could never figure out why, because well done cell-shading can be absolutely gorgeous, as done here.

Holy shit..
The KING of Ascalon caused the Searing?

I was not aware of that. Well that's my mind blown.

ZombieGenesis:
Holy shit..

That's not the Searing, it's the Foefire, it happend during the final push of the Charr into Ascalon, some time after the events of Eye of the North.

Nocta-Aeterna:

ZombieGenesis:
Holy shit..

That's not the Searing, it's the Foefire, it happend during the final push of the Charr into Ascalon, some time after the events of Eye of the North.

Oh did it?
That's less interesting... but still, nevermind.
Haven't really kept up with the lore.

ZombieGenesis:

Nocta-Aeterna:

ZombieGenesis:
Holy shit..

Oh did it?
That's less interesting... but still, nevermind.
Haven't really kept up with the lore.

Link to the Foefire. The Searing was caused by the Charr. They learned it from the Titans and used it to destroy the Wall.

Stupid sexy Guild Wars, come out already! Every time they release information about Guild Wars 2 I find it harder and harder to believe it is a one time buy.

SilverKyo:

uhohimdead:

The '08 Prince of Persia did, and as much as I enjoyed the game for it, it still didn't end well for them because for some reason a lot of people didn't. Could never figure out why, because well done cell-shading can be absolutely gorgeous, as done here.

It's actually not cell-shaded though. The actual game is normal (or however you want to call it) and the cinematics are a mixture of concept art and "normal" models.

freaper:

SilverKyo:

uhohimdead:

It's actually not cell-shaded though. The actual game is normal (or however you want to call it) and the cinematics are a mixture of concept art and "normal" models.

Funny enough its actually called "Normal Mapping". Its the process on which you take a complex model and "bake" it onto a simpler one.

hue

Prince Regent:
Woot Guild Wars. Though if only arenanet would anounce the mesmer and finish the game already.

I'm not holding out hope for a mesmer anymore.

When they announced the professions, they did so starting with the familiar; the necromancer, the ranger, the elementalist, and then they moved on to the newer and more exotic professions. It makes sense from a marketing perspective to do it that way, keep the old players interested, ring in the new players as release day comes.

Point being, if they were going to release the Mesmer, they would have done so already. It's not happening =/

ShadowKatt:

Prince Regent:

When they announced the professions, they did so starting with the familiar; the necromancer, the ranger, the elementalist, and then they moved on to the newer and more exotic professions. It makes sense from a marketing perspective to do it that way, keep the old players interested, ring in the new players as release day comes.

Point being, if they were going to release the Mesmer, they would have done so already. It's not happening =/

Guy (or more improbable girl) believe me the last proffesion is a Mesmer. Some time ago Arenanet released some pictures of then unconfirmed proffesions among them this one image

And if thats not a mesmer I don't know what is. Last proffesion is gonna be mesmer. :P

ShadowKatt:

Prince Regent:

Actually, they didn't. They started with the simplest professions and moved to more complex. (Ranger is an oddity there, being reliant on pets and micromanaging, but the mechanics themselves are fairly simple. even so, Rangers are being overhauled as we speak.) Thief and Engineer are by far the most complex professions in the game so far, and the 8th will definitely be even more complex, according to both Colin Johanson and Jon Peters. (Incidentally, what's more complex than a profession designed to break the other professions?) It has nothing to do with familiarity, only simplicity of implementation. I remind everyone that GW2 information is released "when it's ready", not according to any schedule.

In addition (hijacking the discussion further, because... well, because I can), the Fan Lady concept art isn't the only evidence we have of the Mesmer's return. Mesmers were mentioned specifically by name in both books, and the Human Queen, Jennah, is confirmed to be one. (She uses her Mesmer powers rather dramatically near the end of Edge of Destiny.) The Dungeon Combat video I linked earlier shows ghostly Mesmers in action, proving beyond a shadow of doubt they exist (though not yet confirming they are playable, so don't get too excited), and those ghosts used similar versions of playable skills (Ray of Judgement and Meteor Shower, for example, appear in their new forms, not the originals). There is a known condition, Blackout, which has been confirmed to exist in the game (through those same ghostly Mesmers), yet no playable profession currently can inflict it. Coincidentally, Blackout is the name of a signature skill Mesmers had access to in Guild Wars 1, and the condition has a very similar functionality. So far, all signs point to Mesmer being the 8th profession.

There's hardly anything cinematic about semi-animated concept art with voice-over. This is so annoying.

ZombieGenesis:
Holy shit..

No no no that was before the Foefire. The Searing happened when the charr invasion started. The Foe Fire happened 20 years later when the invasion ended and Rin was sacked for the second time. I actually learned that from the player's manual, but here's a link to the Foefire: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Foefire.

2xDouble:
So far, all signs point to Mesmer being the 8th profession.

It would seem that way, but that concept art was originally labeled "Seer". Now what that tells me is that we're going to see a upgraded and gunned version of the mesmer profession, focusing on that cause-effect gameplay that mesmers are known for plus I'm expecting a bunch of rifle traits in there since this is the last profession and we've yet to see a profession that uses a rifle to it's full potential (engineers don't count, they're focus is kits and turrets and all that fun stuff).

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.