Escape to the Movies: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Ren3004:

brinvixen:
I just hope its good. I haven't really enjoyed any of them since the third one to be honest. Having read the books, I found the fourth one to be insulting when they changed important aspects of it.

Because the third one totally didn't lack an important conversation that explains who four mysterious characters actually are and why they are important towards the end. The fourth film cut some secondary plotlines, but they didn't take out anything that was important for the overall plot of the series, as far as I remember.

Well, I'm probably going to watch this next week with my friends, hopefully I won't be disappointed. I found the previous film to be one of the most faithful to the book.

Oh, and I did that thing Bob said with the Dark Knight Rises poster and... Wow... Just Wow... The revelations...

I admit that I have issues with some of the plotholes in the PoA film, because it's my favorite book of the series. I mean, really, why couldn't they write a couple lines of dialouge to explain how Sirius escaped from Azkaban? But in terms of the overall plot of the series, the holes in it don't affect much. And regardless of all that I still have insane amounts of love for the PoA, as little sense as that might make.

And I probably shouldn't talk about GoF, because I hated that book. However, most of what was cut wasn't important to the overall story, you're right. OotP and HBP are a totally different story though as some pretty critical plot points were cut from both. I can kind of forgive OotP, but there was no excuse for HBP to be the mess that it was. By that film they knew how it all ended. There shouldn't have been any holes in the HBP at all.

JaredXE:
Thank god the series is over. Never before has such a popular book series been so completely bastardized over so many years as Harry Potter has. After the first two movies I saw the whole series go down hill with what amounts to "YOU NEED TO READ THE BOOKS FIRST" almost emblazoned on each frame due to the movie's nonsensicle plot-holes, sudden drop-in characters that appear out of context and the shear frustration of how horrible the films were.

Thank god it's over.

I'll drink to that! I got tired of the movies ever since the 3rd movie (Which was IMO the best)

Well I can laugh and finally say it's over.

What do you think about this Noob?

It was pretty good. The characters get reduced to nearly plot-hole inducing stupidity on several occasions, and there are a few things they changed that I thought would have worked well in the movie. Overall, not the best thing I've seen, but it was good.

Casual Shinji:

Darth Sea Bass:
Sorry bob but the LoTRO trilogy owes no thanks to the harry potter movies in any way shape or form.

Yeah, I didn't really get that either.

Both the LotR movies and the first 3 Harry Potter movies were made practically on the same time schedule. So how exactly did the Harry Potter movies pave the road for LotR?

THIS THIS THIS and more of THIS!

LoTR really didn't need Harry Potter to pave the way for it.
Then again no young wizard can simply just walk into Mordor.....I know I'm lame

Dont feel bad Bob, you get blindsided with those two points in the last book anyway so you're right there with us.

Hope it was better than the vomit on a plate that was part 1. It was like the 3rd LOTR film where ham and dodo are running around some mountains and swamps for the 89390490th scene in a row. Now its Larry and Harmonica running around random pieces of wilderness.

I honestly stopped watching the films after hearing about how stupidly melodramatic the final book was. No, Rowling, killing major characters off-screen/at random does not make me automatically feel anything or make me think that this shows that "war is HELL", it makes me annoyed because you make their deaths mean NOTHING. Oh, and good job killing ANY tension by leaving the decision of the final battle not up to Harry's resolve and conviction as a character, but up to the deus ex machina of the "ultimate wand of ultimate destiny". I will say this, it at least gave me tips on how NOT to write my own final battle in my own fiction

I don't really care for the movies they were just to directly translated to the screen and I think it lost a lot of the wonder that the books had; hear about a giant maze with moving stairs and talking pictures=awesome, see it and suddenly it didn't seem as special. The movies would of held up better if they changed the scripts a bit so it had it's own moments plus that would of let the movies take care of the plot holes that they skipped over by just making it something different, or it could of used a more auteur director.

road_to_dawn:

And I probably shouldn't talk about GoF, because I hated that book. However, most of what was cut wasn't important to the overall story, you're right. OotP and HBP are a totally different story though as some pretty critical plot points were cut from both. I can kind of forgive OotP, but there was no excuse for HBP to be the mess that it was. By that film they knew how it all ended. There shouldn't have been any holes in the HBP at all.

For me, those two have bigger problems than the cuts. OotP tried to cram everything that happened in the largest book into the shortest film in the series, so major themes in the book get condensed in one scene, taking away any weight they had. It seems like it's trying to rush to the end by glossing over the rest of the book. HBP had the opposite problem, the film was huge, but most of it focuses on the teen romance. I mean, they could at least have thrown in a couple more memories.

Dumbledore's family isn't really mentioned until the last book, either. So the movie was consistent in at least that respect. However, the book covered the issue in far more depth, whereas it's mostly handwaved in the film.

Still, if you've seen the other films, this is still definitely one that's worth going out of your way to see.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. One. Big. Camping Trip. Where they just so happen to get an elf killed, go swimming, rob a bank, fight off a snake, someone eats Ron's last cupcake so he leaves then comes back, and they also so happen to fight Dark Wizards in the End.

I saw it, and was surprised that Bob didn't talk about the technical aspects more. The editing on the Snape flashback was some of the best I have ever seen.

Ren3004:

road_to_dawn:

For me, those two have bigger problems than the cuts. OotP tried to cram everything that happened in the largest book into the shortest film in the series, so major themes in the book get condensed in one scene, taking away any weight they had. It seems like it's trying to rush to the end by glossing over the rest of the book. HBP had the opposite problem, the film was huge, but most of it focuses on the teen romance. I mean, they could at least have thrown in a couple more memories.

i agree as to why the OotP and HBP sucked. they tried to cram to much at first, and then they didn't cram enough. oh well the first part of DH was good, a bit slow but then it was slow in the book as well.

The only thing that disappointed me about this movie was how much the ending was changed. I wanted Harry's big speech before killing Voldemort, with the subsequent massive celebration. Instead, Harry and Voldemort dueled alone and Voldemort was killed quietly, and nobody even seemed to acknowledge it!

Overall a good movie, but the ending was a shame.

Calico93:
Im taking it your favourite chapter is the Kings Cross one ? Or Snapes memories one ? The latter is my favourite. I wont forgive the filmmakers if they missed out both or just one.

Both are present in the film. And yes, I, too, was especially concerned that they do the King's Cross scene well.

Casual Shinji:
That and the fact that David Yates lacks any form of cinematic vision.

Define "cinematic vision"

Reply to a previous post involving spoilers:

LobsterFeng:

Casual Shinji:

Um... "Bleak?" :-)

Ren3004:

road_to_dawn:

I will never understand how or why the OotP film is so short. I agree that the weight of certain things is never really hammered home (DH has the same problem with certain things.) They completely dropped the ball with the prophecy, for one thing, and that is a real shame. The prophecy is important for so many reasons, like characterization of Voldemort, Trelawney's history, Snape's history, and it stands as proof that Harry, in fact, isn't some special little butterfly and Neville could've just as easily been in his shoes. The film doesn't convey that at all and the audience really loses something huge because of that.

You also have a point about HBP. The joke of it is that even with all the time spent on it they didn't even get the romance right. Harry and Ginny's relationship in the films makes zero sense and has none of the fire and passion that it does in the books. And Ron's made out to be a jerk because of Lavender, even though in the books it's partially Hermione's fault that he was with her to begin with.

It makes me nuts because nothing much happens in HBP, in terms of action. I mean, to me, it isn't nearly as dense and involved as DH and OotP. They only had to do three things in the film: kill Dumbledore, set up the final pairings, and show Voldemort memories/start the horcrux stuff. That's it! And as much as I love the way Draco's scenes were shot and Harry on felix felicis, that doesn't change that they failed at pretty much all of what they had to do.

All i have to say is Meh, i stopped caring for the movies along time ago, mainly around the time they started switching characters and just generally not sticking to the book e.g. book: tonks finds harry on the train, movie: it luna who does.

This sums up how I feel about this movie. I watched the first 4 in hopes each would get better and I was bored out of my mind. I honestly don't know what I felt was worse, those movies or Inglorious Basterds. But for those that like it all, I hope you enjoy/enjoyed it. I'm just glad its finally over.

Harry "Churchill" Potter Vs Wizard Hitler, fantastic!

was a good film if I'm honest, enjoyed it. The effects are pretty amazing.

I have to say (and this is my personal opinion not a flame starter) that Harry Potter is the most badly put together, poorly written and sometimes plagiarised series ever. I can't really take something that so wants to be a serious fantasy series.. seriously.. when half the words created for it sound like baby talk.

Casual Shinji:
I'm glad it's over.

After the third film this series started limping like a one-legged walrus. Mainly due to it being the same fucking movie everytime: Harry returns to Hogwarts and discovers an evil plan by Voldemort. No one but Ron and Hermione believe him, but in the end the truth reveals itself and Harry is proven to be correct, only to be disbelieved again in the next movie. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I don't think you were paying enough attention at all.

LobsterFeng:

Casual Shinji:

Cinematic vision means creating a template of colours, styles and camera angles that best serve the type of story a director is trying to tell and the tone he or she is trying to convey.

The first 3 Harry Potter movies - especially the third - had a very solid tone and visual structure because they were handled by competent directors. Or atleast, directors who could handle visually demanding movies.

The HP movies that followed were directed by filmmakers who couldn't handle this. Mike Newell had atleast some visual style in his movie - though not much - but David Yates' HP movies had all the visual dazzlement of a dusty cinder block.

Saw it at the midnight release. I liked it, but a bunch of people started cheering whenever anything happened, almost as though they never actually read the books. all in all pretty good thouh. being there at 8 was definitely worth it, but only since I went with a trio of bros

SextusMaximus:

Casual Shinji:
I'm glad it's over.

After the third film this series started limping like a one-legged walrus. Mainly due to it being the same fucking movie everytime: Harry returns to Hogwarts and discovers an evil plan by Voldemort. No one but Ron and Hermione believe him, but in the end the truth reveals itself and Harry is proven to be correct, only to be disbelieved again in the next movie. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I don't think you were paying enough attention at all.

Probably not.

But that was due to the fact that by the fourth movie, I was just tired of watching these one dimensional pure good, pure evil characters playing the same old tune.

MelasZepheos:

Abandon4093:
I stopped watching them after the third film.

My sister had the fourth one on the other day. (She was watching all the films leading up to this one.) So I sat through it and watched the thing.

I'm certainly not going to bother catching up with the rest or see this one.

If they're on TV at somepoint and there's nothing else on I might catch them. I just think Rowling has to take the cake for most undeserved megggggga success ever though.

Stephanie Meyer begs to differ.

I know that there's a lot of argument to be made for either side of this, but really I think Stephen King summed it up pretty well:

'The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a damn. She's not very good.'

Also, JK has very little to do with the films, so you can't blame her for those.

Ohhh no.

Stephanie wins the prize for the most possible dangerous writer ever to appeal to young women.

She's basically disguising the values of her own faith and pushing it into the minds of pre-pubescent girls in the form of a cheesy romance novel.

That's practically brain washing.

Rowling is just a hack. (my opinion obviously)

To me it just seems as though she plagiarised a lot of ideas and repackaged them in a childish wrapping.

And it's not just the films. I found the books to be pretty bad. Not bad enough for me to hate them. Simply not good enough that I think they deserve the kind of impact they got.

(again just my opinion.)

This was an exceptionally great movie that I did not want to end as well as something that I already want to see again. It brought back every feeling the franchise has been building up to and treated my nostalgia better than most other franchises have. That's rare by today's standards.

Nautical Honors Society:
Honestly this could have been a Big Picture episode. Not really much of a review here of the actual movie itself.

But nontheless, I am a Harry Potter fan and I respect the movie franchise.

Powerfully acted, well shot,enough dedication to the source material, and enough talented British stage actors to run their own theater company.

I am sold and I will see it and probably love it.

Well off the the theater!

Your gonna see that in most every review of this one though. Its very difficult to talk about it in and of itself. Its very much a part 2, There is less than 5 minutes of exposition in the entire film, its essentially a 2 hour climax with about 5 minutes of intro/outro on either end.

In fact this movie only covers the last 200 or so pages of Rowlings last novel, with the first movie addressing fully 75% of its story. I remember reading the book and feeling as though her final battle sequence at Hogwarts was too short. The movie expands on it and yet still i wanted it to be longer. Which to me indicates the strength of the narrative.

Its an outstanding film in its own right, but it owes so much too what's come before, that you can't help but discuss the saga as a whole.

I saw it on the midnight showing and was thoroughly entertained. I'm sad to see it end. Now I want to go back and read the books through again for the tenth time.

road_to_dawn:

I will never understand how or why the OotP film is so short.

Because the Order of the Phoenix book was incredibly dull. It was 800 pages of exposition for books 6 and 7.

I think it interesting that the worst book in the series has given the best movie in the series (part 1) and the one of the more solid entries in the series (part 2). And the filmmakers didn't even change that much.

The first two thirds of hallows, on page, are long, boring and drawn out. But compressing that section down to fit a two and a half hour run time turned this section into to the most compelling entry in the series.

The third act of Hallows is terrible. It's nothing but exposition, Deus ex Machina and action scenes that read like they would look great onscreen but a pretty dull and lifeless of page. The movie works because the action scenes are in the film version fun to watch and you can get away with greater amounts of exposition and Deus ex Machina in movies. I was glad to see that a couple of stupider plot turns (Ron and Herminone destroying the Horcrux in the chamber, in the book they just go off and do it off screen then tell Harry afterwards; the convenient fire monster that that we have never heard of before but can apparently destroy horcruxes and Harry Just expositioning at Voldemort and then Voldemort going down without a fight) were modified.

I stopped watching the movies after two when they were coming out because my younger self was quite the pretentious "adaptation-purist", and refused to read the last book after 6 because Half-Blood Prince is one of the worst written and most boring novels I've ever been unfortunate enough to read. However, when Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 came out my fiance dragged me along to it, and I was impressed as hell! That movie was amazing in a ton of different ways. So I'm definitely looking forward to this last one, probably going to see sometime in the next week.

What I find odd about the Harry Potter movies is that I got more into them as they went along, When the first film came out I was 11 and gradually I've gone from not really caring at all till eventually caring more than I thought. I wasn't that in to the books as I kid so that's probably to blame but also the films seem to get better as they go along.

I saw it last night and part of me wanted to wait till the end of the credits to see if Samuel L Jackson would appear!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here