Trailers: Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition - Campaign Demo

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Edition - Campaign Demo

Executive Producer Dan Ayoub of 343 Industries shows off the high-definition remake of the classic first person shooter.

Watch Video

His repeated emphasis that it'll have exactly the same gameplay seems like a dangerous design choice to me. Shooters have evolved a LOT in the last decade, there's a reason most successful updates/remakes of classic games focus on capturing the spirit of the original rather than the exact mechanics.

Cheers

Colin

i not to sure about an HD remake of halo, because it only one console cycal old and you can play it on you xbox 360 and graphics are not a selling point for me. i did like halo but if i want to replay it i could just put it in my 360 and it just seems lasy only changing the graphic and not adding thing. but there could be stuff they havent anounsted yet.

The cynical in me sees little reason for buying this game over burrowing the old original Xbox disc and insert it on your 360's disc tray, or buying it from the XBLA marketplace, but the fanboy in me is telling me that I seriously do want to see the new graphics engine (I'm that easily impressed).

I'm quite fond of the first Halo, heck, this game, ironically, got me into PC gaming in the first place and I seriously wanted to buy an Xbox back then just for this game alone.

Just tell me that you're going to add all the multiplayer maps of the PC version (wich had some extra maps) and that's a sure buy from me.

Here is a question, how come I was awesomesauce at Halo 1 multiplayer but sucked dog balls at Halo 2 multiplayer? (cept for driving)

Doesn't anyone find it a bit unnerving how they try to pass up no change for a feature? asically they should just say that you are playing a 10 year old game with better graphics and the option to turn them off.

So far, I haven't seen anything that makes me wanna buy it.

rembrandtqeinstein:
Here is a question, how come I was awesomesauce at Halo 1 multiplayer but sucked dog balls at Halo 2 multiplayer? (cept for driving)

Because the combat evolved.

HEY-O!

unabomberman:
Doesn't anyone find it a bit unnerving how they try to pass up no change for a feature? asically they should just say that you are playing a 10 year old game with better graphics and the option to turn them off.

It also has copied halo reach multiplayer. So its not even a good remake when they changed the multiplayer.

Most will get it for the achivemnts, the sake of getting it and the updated graphics.

I'm in it for the multiplayer. CE has no online. Aside from that.... hey, it looks pretty.

ZeroMachine:

rembrandtqeinstein:

HEY-O!

You're rofling my copter.

thats how you do a remake/reboot.

il like the old/new graphics button.

now system shock series, please!

A Curious Fellow:
I'm in it for the multiplayer. CE has no online. Aside from that.... hey, it looks pretty.

ZeroMachine:

rembrandtqeinstein:

HEY-O!

Glad to entertain.

And if you're talkin' bout the co-op, sure. But the competitive is just effectively a hefty map pack for Reach, made up of six remakes of old maps and one Firefight map.

EDIT: Also, I know you like the story- they've added terminals a la Halo 3, but it's video and voice acted.

ZeroMachine:

A Curious Fellow:

ZeroMachine:

HEY-O!

Glad to entertain.

And if you're talkin' bout the co-op, sure. But the competitive is just effectively a hefty map pack for Reach, made up of six remakes of old maps and one Firefight map.

EDIT: Also, I know you like the story- they've added terminals a la Halo 3, but it's video and voice acted.

Hmm. This isn't going to be 60$ is it?

A Curious Fellow:

ZeroMachine:

A Curious Fellow:

Glad to entertain.

Forty. So considering the normal price of a Reach map pack, you're basically getting an advanced Combat Evolved campaign for 20$ and then the Reach maps for 20$. Plus one map free.

EDIT: Totally feel like it should be spelled "fourty" for some reason. But Google Chrome denies it.

ZeroMachine:

A Curious Fellow:

ZeroMachine:

Glad to entertain.

Forty. So considering the normal price of a Reach map pack, you're basically getting an advanced Combat Evolved campaign for 20$ and then the Reach maps for 20$. Plus one map free.

EDIT: Totally feel like it should be spelled "fourty" for some reason. But Google Chrome denies it.

Ah, good, that's a deal. I'm on board completely.

A Curious Fellow:

ZeroMachine:

A Curious Fellow:

Ah, good, that's a deal. I'm on board completely.

Right? I feel like most people that are bashing it don't realize it isn't going to be full price. This isn't another ODST debacle (even though I think it was totally worth the 60$ I... would... have... payed for it if I bought it when it first came out. But that's me.)

So far it looks quite nice. Only thing that bothered me was the lack of any improvemnets in the enemy AI. I hate how the AI acted in the original, I wish they fought like they did in Reach.

Well, I never got played the first Halo (earliest I got was 2), So this could be my chance to see what it was like.

I thought it would ell us there would a demo being released. Anyway it looks as awesome as ever and I can't wait.

ChromaticWolfen:
I thought it would tell us there would a demo being released. Anyway it looks as awesome as ever and I can't wait.

I don't know how but I somehow quoted myself. Sorry double post.

ZeroMachine:

A Curious Fellow:

ZeroMachine:

Glad to entertain.

And if you get this, then Reach afterwards, you still get the maps without issue, I take?

Still, Halo is my favorite FPS (Campaign wise) because its so pretty and not all that brown grit and colorful! And now they made it more colorful.
Well, back in the day, I liked it because it wasn't so fixated on gore, but point remains.

Having lost my original Halo disc to a thief, I can't imagine not enjoying this game.

this isnt my name:

unabomberman:

It also has copied halo reach multiplayer. So its not even a good remake when they changed the multiplayer.

Most will get it for the achivemnts, the sake of getting it and the updated graphics.

I loved the original (massive understatement), and would love to play it again with better graphics; but to plow again through the same thing and for 40 some bucks, what's the point? I would give it a shot if instead of better graphics it had better AI, but apparently they didn't intend to polish that part.

Unless they show up some new feature like theater and picture taking I'm out, I think.

the health and shield bar is SLIGHTLY different. the experience is ruined and life now has no meaning and i will throw my xbox or shit-box away in disgust. such a a keyy feature ruined.

Hmm... Whilst I (still) like the idea, I'm finding the insistence that this is exactly the same annoying. Halo:CE's enemy AI was nowhere near as effective as Reach's. Give me CE with Reach's AI, and I'll be happy. Not the equipment etc..., that'd make it too easy.
But more than just a graphical overhaul would be nice. That said, I'll probably still get it.

maantren:
His repeated emphasis that it'll have exactly the same gameplay seems like a dangerous design choice to me. Shooters have evolved a LOT in the last decade, there's a reason most successful updates/remakes of classic games focus on capturing the spirit of the original rather than the exact mechanics.

Cheers

Colin

I can't really think of a lot of ways in which shooters have evolved since Halo:CE, other than adopting Halo's featureset. What would they do to update it other than maybe adding in a cover system?

unabomberman:

They're changing nothing apart from the graphics, yeah, but that is probably better. The Master Chief has become a sacred icon (purty much) and any attempt to change him in the Bungie games (other than in resolution) will probably cause an outrage.

ZeroMachine:
Right? I feel like most people that are bashing it don't realize it isn't going to be full price. This isn't another ODST debacle (even though I think it was totally worth the 60$ I... would... have... payed for it if I bought it when it first came out. But that's me.)

Always found the ODST "debacle" funny... it had as much singleplayer content, along with more innovation, as COD sequels have had since COD4.

Now if only they just improved the AI, it would be ANOTHER great game to end the Halo franchise on. (Still denies the existence of Halos 4-6)

Since 2 and 3 had kinda sucky campaigns, I'm glad to see they're not really changing it. All I hope for is that they bring this version to PC.

P.S. Thanks

I don't mind the game playing the exact same way, but I dislike the fact that they haven't changed the AI at all. It's just a graphical update.

Fuck.

demo should be released cos they did for the first, and if they dont, then fuck them. the experience just wont be the same. the personal 1 i mean

this isnt my name:

unabomberman:

You can play the classic multiplayer or the one that is on Reach, next time be more informed.

And dont forget that the multiplayer in Halo was always highly costumisable so you can play it whatever way you want to.

Srs bzns:

unabomberman:

They're changing nothing apart from the graphics, yeah, but that is probably better. The Master Chief has become a sacred icon (purty much) and any attempt to change him in the Bungie games (other than in resolution) will probably cause an outrage.

But how about the AI? I mean, if you payed the original and then all the subsequent releases, or even other FPS's, and now go back and play it again you'll find it to be a breeze until after the Flood pop out. I'd rather have had new enemy AI instead of new graphics.

josemlopes:
You can play the classic multiplayer or the one that is on Reach, next time be more informed.

And dont forget that the multiplayer in Halo was always highly costumisable so you can play it whatever way you want to.

The "classic" multiplayer will just be a different playlist using the Reach engine with modifications.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing this with shinier graphics. And I'm hopeful for Halo 4; maybe 343 can erase the memory of the horrible tragedy that Bungie created in Reach.

No matter what you have to say about the Halo series you have to admit the graphics technology has come on amazingly over the past 10 years, that ability to flick between the two graphics shows how good it's got.

I know i'm getting this at some point but it will be in a few years when i can pick it up for £15 or less from the pre-owned shelves. I've not played it before but that doesn't mean i'll pay full price for a remake.

Well, that could have just been a 30 second demo really. "We changed the graphics, everything else it the same, oh, and also you can switch back to the origional graphics for shits and giggles". That's a feature I really don't understand. Why is it there?

To be honest, I already have the arcade version of CE, so I'm not going to purchase this, and while its an interesting project, I can't see much point to it. I guess multiplayer, but there is stil Halo 3 and Reach for that, both of which I find superior to Halo 1 multiplayer

ALos, I'm pretty sure that guy also does the voice of the pig in Toy Story.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here