Trailers: Soul Calibur V: Comic Con

Soul Calibur V: Comic Con

Fighters old and new arrive in Soul Calibur V.

Watch Video

<_< SC's cast has always been a colorful lot but these new look-like Final Fantasy Rejects from out of some japanese punk rock band are a real turn off.

The new characters look like they were crapped out of SCIV's character creator.

Nicolaus99:
<_< SC's cast has always been a colorful lot but these new look-like Final Fantasy Rejects from out of some japanese punk rock band are a real turn off.

Truth is spoken!

Also why does everyone have crazy magic now? Fight with swords you bastards, that made it fucking good.

Yeah, biggest turn off for me is seeing the 'fire/lightning/psychic' attack, whatever they want to call them.

Also, it doesn't really look all that good...

Inb4 "Scrolly-text backstory=no buy"

Seriously, in terms of modern fighting games, the new Mortal Kombat had cutscenes, why can't SCV?

Old characters can return, but how can new characters return?

I think Ivy actually has more clothes this time. I'm underwhelmed, but I guess I'm not much of a fan to begin with.

thiosk:

Heh. Apparently post lunch is a bad time for me to write text as all the blood is rushing away from my brain.

Am I the only one that's actually looking forward to this game? I have absolutely no problem with either the the new character design or the moves the showed off - it looks interesting to me! Bring on the SC5!

the only game annouced and yet to come out that im both excited for and have no complaints about... except taki's replacement i guess, but i never use the original characters anyway, so i can look around that.

errr...
super moves are a good improvement if theyre balanced properly and are a huge improvement over critical finishes in SCIV. Zwei also looks pretty interesting to use, his talim-esque front flip in particular... and i guess it will be interesting to see what happened to those boring-ass characters after IV...

...but truthfully, "YAY! The only fighting with a good character creation mode and deep-enough gameplay isnt dead :D"

...lets have a look at some of these negative comments and shine a torch in there eyes...

GaltarDude1138:
Inb4 "Scrolly-text backstory=no buy"

Seriously, in terms of modern fighting games, the new Mortal Kombat had cutscenes, why can't SCV?

its unnecessary, takes up valuable development time, money and disc space (through animations and speech, the most costly of all) that could be used to make a bigger, more balanced and all-round better fighting game.
story modes are necessary for character development, true, but stories like that go way past that borderline into the unnecessary.

Nicolaus99:

cant say i disagree with that... that girl, that taki replacement girl... what's-her-name... she is not what this franchise needed, but perhaps now that talim has aged, they feel they still need a young girl in there... besides amy...
but SCIV's character design was still questionable, if you look at raphael's sudden transformation into a vampire, and that never stopped me liking the characters completely ignoring all the in-house characters and making my own.

I'm generally really interested in this game. The only thing that puts me off is the focus on Sophitia's children. I've always found Sophitia a very dull character, even though it's clear Project Soul wants us to care. I don't care at all about Sophitia, I don't care at all about Cassandra, and I really doubt I will find any reason to care at all about her children (which the game will feature two of her children). Maybe it's partially because they all share the same weapon and pretty much the same fighting style. God, even Amy and Raphael didn't have the same fighting style and differed a bit.

I can only hope the game doesn't ram into my face too hard about "oh look, it's Sophitia's children!" too much. I think I'll stick to brooding Seigfried and, hopefully, classy Raphael.

I'll hold my breath 'till I see Raphael/Amy.

Slycne:

thiosk:

Heh. Apparently post lunch is a bad time for me to write text as all the blood is rushing away from my brain.

Well now its nicely alliterative so I approve wholeheartedly.

More on topic, I just never really got into the whole fighting genera thing. It doesn't seem to have evolved since mortal combat 2-- sure theres more characters, more animations, more backstory... but you still have to memorize countless special moves that have no real fundamental association with the actions performed on screen.

For SCII, I trained my then-girlfriend to just roll the palm of her hand on the gamecube gamepad. She crushed EVERYONE. With practice, the more seasoned among us could eventually get back on top, but by then she had already grown bored with the meager sub-humans.

What a minute.

They used SC 2's intro music for this trailer!

Broady Brio:
What a minute.

Ha! I thought you meant starcraft 2. and i was like OH SNAP.

Cassandra but no Sophitia? Grrrr.

SO how big are Ivy's and Taki's boobs going to be this time round? They seem to get bigger with every instalment.

So...Taki is now blond. Dare I even ask?

Nightmare! Where is Nightmare?

Broady Brio:
What a minute.

Thus making it infinitely more awesome than it deserved to be. I absolutely adore that theme.

Really, this doesn't look especially wonderful - and that's saying something for Soul Calibur. Two was great, three was pretty good but four was barely acceptable. This just looks like more of the same with a less recognisable cast and all-new super moves.

That's not to say it can't be a good game and this stuff can't all work out for the best but nothing about it really appeals to me as a Soul Calibur fan.

My words cannot properly describe my disappointment.

They made Taki into a little anime girl?! They turned Sophitia into an emo guy?!

If they f up Seung Mina, I won't buy this. I don't care that they aren't 'supposed' to be the same characters, they are the characters that hold the weapons, know the moves, and they now look like shit.

Genixma:
So...Taki is now blonde. Dare I even ask?

No, Taki is not in fact blonde now. That is Natsu, she is supposed to be Taki's disciple/successor, who we can undoubtedly expect to see being cast in a sexual relationship with Taki in some fan-art somewhere. I would definitely be surprised to hear that there hasn't been any made by this point.

"Returning Legends". Because what would a Soul Calibur game be without Ivy's tits all over the place.

Also, agreed that this is looking more and more like Super Final Fantasy Fighter Alpha 6 than anything else.

The_root_of_all_evil:

neither have been confirmed as playable, but sophitia is the only character to have even been mentioned in this or any other trailer, of the two sisters. i dont know where you get that impression from... >.>

Sober Thal:

They made Taki into a little anime girl?! They turned Sophitia into an emo guy?!

in what possible way does Zwei look like a replacement for Sophitia? completely different fighting style, with no shield, and tonfa grips on his weapon... he summons a suit of armour for fuck's sake.
i ask again, in what possible way does Zwei look like a replacement for Sophitia?
can they not introduce a character without it having to be directly compared to somebody completely different to them?
whats wrong with you people?

if they introduced a character with a lance, youll be shouting it down as a replacement for seung mina before they even confirm whether shes removed or not. despite the fact that theyre completely different weapons, styles, characters whatever.
hell, if they introduced a character who used Yawara, youd somehow mange to turn it into a replacement for seung mina, im sure.

i cant understand the level of negativity here.

If it doesn't have Tales of Souls mode and a decent character creator this time around I don't think I'll get it. I made that mistake with Soul Calibur IV.

they say it best in their standard intro:"a tale of souls and swords eternally retold".
granted i did like the "make your own fighter" mode they had in 3 i think?

I've never played a Soul Caliber game before, the only Fighting games i've really enjoyed would be Mortal Kombat.

The fighting in that video looked prettty fun! I might wait for reviews and give it a go.

ok color me surprised. i thought by this iteration IVY would be completely naked. didn't expect more clothes on her!

garjian:

The_root_of_all_evil:

neither have been confirmed as playable, but sophitia is the only character to have even been mentioned in this or any other trailer, of the two sisters. i dont know where you get that impression from... >.>

The video clearly shows Cassandra but not Sophitia. As an afficionado, I know the difference :)

The_root_of_all_evil:

garjian:

The_root_of_all_evil:

The video clearly shows Cassandra but not Sophitia. As an afficionado, I know the difference :)

hate to burst your bubble, but that's Pyrrha, sophitia's daughter.
also sophitia stabbing her sword in the floor is the first thing you see, even if that is taken from SCIV. Sophitia is the villain this time around, Cassandra was probably harvested.

Pyrrha was the first character they revealed. Do some basic research before you complain about things that barely even matter and are even quite clearly wrong given that sophitia is taking in the damn trailer.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here