Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Jedi Consular Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Two Steps From Hell? Why didn't they just use the Star Wars soundtrack throughout.

Why does the combat look worse than in Jedi Academy? That game is freaking old, and the combat was a LOT prettier than here...

The_Vigilant:
"WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST MAKE KOTOR 3?"

It feels like they did ... then got a cheap offer on SW MMO licence from Lucas and tacked on some multiplayer.

Sadly.

They would have gotten tons more respect from me, BioWare, if they did KOTOR 3 and made their own IP MMO based on Mass Effect. This just feels half done now.

I hope they don't crash and burn with this, they spent lots of money and EA had no qualms killing off Mythic Entertainment last time their project crashed badly.

In addition to the above complaints..... Dear God, they've given him WoW shoulders!

Seriously... what's up with those shoulder pads?? Anyone else think the consular look is seriously inspired by WoW : http://www.wowwiki.com/Mana-Etched_Regalia (without the head piece)?

So yeah... not liking the development of this so far. I'll keep holding out for Dark Millenium and Planetside 2.

Arisato-kun:
Just take my money Bioware. Consular looks sweet. Plus they have healing, DPS AND tanking trees? I can do whatever I want? Awesome.

Hate to disappoint you, but it's split into two advanced classes. The Shadow can Tank&DPS while the Sage can Heal&DPS. And switching between them is (at least for now) not that easy.

OT: One of the best trailers, liked some of the camera panning and such - good to see some progress in that, really don't get why games are behind film in such aspects considering how much easier doing that stuff with an engine, as opposed to a real, mechanical camera should be.

Two Steps from Hell, you show your wonderful face again...

"I will act with calm and clarity... What? an enemy? RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEE!"

So, a Consular is basically the worlds most bad ass medic.

Was anyone else thinking Two Steps From Hell, awesome!!!?

Extraintrovert:
Using Two Steps From Hell music? The Old Republic just got 20% cooler.

That still leaves 80% more until I would actually purchase it, though.

I don't think you understand how percent works as a concept.

2xDouble:
One little thing bothers me about this trailer...

Yoda:
A Jedi uses The Force for knowledge and defense. NEVER attack.

How come the following doesn't then:

Yoda, on Sith:
Yoda: Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.

Maybe because this is set 3000 years before the movies and the teachings change in that period?

Nobody is going to be this class, NOBODY, because how lame the force attacks look, even though being the medic class he would be the most important person on the battlefield.

Vrach:

2xDouble:

Yoda:
A Jedi uses The Force for knowledge and defense. NEVER attack.

Yoda, on Sith:

Maybe because this is set 3000 years before the movies and the teachings change in that period?

Because none of that is showcased in this trailer, but since you bring it up... Every Sith I've seen in footage of this game has/had either a master or an apprentice at some point (typically ending up killing him/her). Supposedly they are at least one support character in each Sith's story line. (Also the "prequel trilogy" sucked.)

Teachings may change, but basic tenets do not. Proper use of The Force is the fundamental difference between Jedi and Sith, Light Side and Dark. Jedi don't use The Force to attack or destroy. Sith do.

2xDouble:

Vrach:

2xDouble:

Yoda, on Sith:

Because none of that is showcased in this trailer, but since you bring it up... Every Sith I've seen in footage of this game has/had either a master or an apprentice at some point (typically ending up killing him/her). Supposedly they are at least one support character in each Sith's story line. (Also the "prequel trilogy" sucked.)

Teachings may change, but basic tenets do not. Proper use of The Force is the fundamental difference between Jedi and Sith, Light Side and Dark. Jedi don't use The Force to attack or destroy. Sith do.

You might want to read up on the Rule of Two. It's a tenet and explains that at one time there may only be a total of two Sith in existence in the entire universe. It's one that's introduced at a certain point in Sith teachings (and is valid through the movies) and abolished later.

Vrach:

You might want to read up on the Rule of Two. It's a tenet and explains that at one time there may only be a total of two Sith in existence in the entire universe. It's one that's introduced at a certain point in Sith teachings (and is valid through the movies) and abolished later.

Sith really put "teach only one apprentice" on the same level as "seek to increase your power"? wow...

Fine, I guess you're right. Everything about this game is wrong. Thank you for pointing that out.

Not G. Ivingname:
Nobody is going to be this class, NOBODY, because how lame the force attacks look, even though being the medic class he would be the most important person on the battlefield.

Consulars are not the only "medic class" in the game, every other class (with the exception of Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors) can heal as effectively as the consular.

Not G. Ivingname:

Bioware has (supposedly) made every class capable of being the healer in a group, though it's clear that the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior (the melee-focused equivalent of the Jedi Councilor/Sith Inquisitor) will probably be easier to set up as tank rather than a healing class.

2xDouble:

Vrach:

2xDouble:

Yoda, on Sith:

On the other hand, those that played KotOR I and II know that there's a significant and often skizm-inducing debate within the Jedi on what constitutes "defense," particularly when it comes to the defense of the Republic. During the events leading up to the KotOR series, the break-away faction within the Jedi Order led by Revan believed early intervention in the Mandalorian-Republic conflict would have been more appropriate and would have prevented escalation of the war with less bloodshed then when that faction finally entered late in the conflict. In my opinion, full and endorsed intervention by the Jedi Council (which appeared to reject the option based on a recent war with Exar Kun that made the council war weary rather than any specific teachings) within that conflict may have prevented that break-away faction from pursuing the Mandalorians into the unknown regions where they became a minor Sith empire.

The Gentleman:
On the other hand, those that played KotOR I and II know that there's a significant and often skizm-inducing debate within the Jedi on what constitutes "defense," particularly when it comes to the defense of the Republic. During the events leading up to the KotOR series, the break-away faction within the Jedi Order led by Revan believed early intervention in the Mandalorian-Republic conflict would have been more appropriate and would have prevented escalation of the war with less bloodshed then when that faction finally entered late in the conflict. In my opinion, full and endorsed intervention by the Jedi Council (which appeared to reject the option based on a recent war with Exar Kun that made the council war weary rather than any specific teachings) within that conflict may have prevented that break-away faction from pursuing the Mandalorians into the unknown regions where they became a minor Sith empire.

Of course, but there's a big difference between swift and decisive action using knowledge gleaned from the Force, and using the Force to throw things at people. In space, did Revan use the Force to sabotage ships, or to supplement his battle tactics? On foot, did Revan drop avalanches and heavy equipment on the Mandalorians? or did he use those things to set up barricades and defensive positions? (incidentally, why can't Mr. "I love shoulder pauldrons" Consular over there do that? why is it only Smugglers/Imperial Agents can create cover? ...because only smugglers and agents can take cover?)

Nobody ever said Jedi never attack. Jedi never use the Force to attack.

I suppose gameplay has to trump lore in this case. Unfortunate, but understandable. I just wish the Consular would use his lightsaber more. He's not a wizard, after all. He's a Jedi.

2xDouble:

The Gentleman:

Of course, but there's a big difference between swift and decisive action using knowledge gleaned from the Force, and using the Force to throw things at people. In space, did Revan use the Force to sabotage ships, or to supplement his battle tactics? On foot, did Revan drop avalanches and heavy equipment on the Mandalorians? or did he use those things to set up barricades and defensive positions? (incidentally, why can't Mr. "I love shoulder pauldrons" Consular over there do that? why is it only Smugglers/Bounty Hunters can create cover? ...because only smugglers and bounty hunters can take cover?)

Yeah... uh... Revan was a little more adapting of some questionable tactics if the Star Wars Wiki is any accurate, so it actually might had been better if she had.

Besides, what would Battle Meditation classify as?

In a narrow sense, I guess this is true. On the other hand, using the Force to bend someones will or enhance an attack appears to be totally okay.

I always found the difference between the Jedi and Sith is less than how they use it (although there are clear differences in that) and more how they approach it. The Jedi believe to understand the force requires peace and stoicism, whereas the Sith believe that understanding is found through conflict and passion. Personally, I think that both have significant deficiencies and that the ideal understanding of the force lies in the middle.

I suppose gameplay has to trump lore in this case. Unfortunate, but understandable. I just wish the Consular would use his lightsaber more. He's not a wizard, after all. He's a Jedi.

An entire tract is devoted to more-lightsaber heavy combat, though force powers are still the focus of the class so those will get top billing in an ad.

It looks like Star wars ate up WoW and Mass effect. Yes I know bioware did this, but shouldn't there be some consistency in the Star Wars Universe?

And seriously WHAT is with those shoulders?! No jedi has had shoulders that big!! Those could Rival Samus' Varia suit!! Seriously!! The varia suit!

2xDouble:
Of course, but there's a big difference between swift and decisive action using knowledge gleaned from the Force, and using the Force to throw things at people. In space, did Revan use the Force to sabotage ships, or to supplement his battle tactics? On foot, did Revan drop avalanches and heavy equipment on the Mandalorians? or did he use those things to set up barricades and defensive positions? (incidentally, why can't Mr. "I love shoulder pauldrons" Consular over there do that? why is it only Smugglers/Bounty Hunters can create cover? ...because only smugglers and bounty hunters can take cover?)

First, Agents and Smugglers are the cover class, not Bounty Hunters.

Second, there are two advanced classes for the Consular, Sage and Shadow, Shadow is a melee dps/tank hybrid which focuses on double bladed saber combat. So they do use the saber for combat. The sage advanced class does have melee abilities, but the AC isn't specialized to use them.

Third, what Yoda said about defensive use of the force could intend a number of different meanings. What Lucas, and a greater portion of the EU believe he meant was; The force should never be used to actively instigate hostilities. It's OK to use the force to defend someone else, yourself or any ideologies you believe in. It IS NOT OK to use the force to "force" you beliefs on someone else, or to abuse others. What Yoda was talking about was not how you should use the force, but what you should use the force to do. Furthermore, your point about the Jedi only using lightsabers is off as well, Jedi use the force to enhance their physical capabilities, granting them increased speed, strength, agility, stamina, and reflexes.

Not G. Ivingname:
Nobody is going to be this class, NOBODY, because how lame the force attacks look

Agree, throwing pebbles at enemies isn't very impressive.

animehermit:

Not G. Ivingname:

Consulars are not the only "medic class" in the game, every other class (with the exception of Jedi Knights and Sith Warriors) can heal as effectively as the consular.

Oh, didn't know that. This was the only trailer that showed a healing ability.

Smertnik:

Not G. Ivingname:
Nobody is going to be this class, NOBODY, because how lame the force attacks look

You'd be surprised. Currently the least played class is Imperial Agent, there are tons of Jedi and Sith rolling around, more knights then Consulars, sure, but it is far from underplayed.

After launch people are going to pick the class they think has the best story, not based on any aesthetics within the class.

L4Y Duke:
I'd be able to take that guy more seriously as a defender of justice and honor if he didn't look suspiciously like C&C's Kane.

So THATS where he went after C&C 4, It all makes sense now, he was just a Jedi trying to get back to his own universe far far away. Now if he only had all his glowy tanks with him the Sith wouldn't stand a chance!

CronoT:
Sorry Star Wars. You look awesome, but you've fallen under the sway of the Dark Lord Darth EA. Allowing you into my computer will only lead to ruin.

EA leads to Greed, Greed leads to DRM, DRM leads to suffering!

On topic: A character that relies in diplomacy, in an MMO? Good luck with that. (He actually looks quite good, apart from the shoulderpads. Saving the galaxy can be somewhat hindered by having to walk sideways through every door.

Stormwaltz:
"If this is a consular trailer, where is the ambassador?"

This made me smile.

Same, this is one of the reasons i love the Escapist xD

animehermit:

Smertnik:

Not G. Ivingname:

You'd be surprised. Currently the least played class is Imperial Agent, there are tons of Jedi and Sith rolling around, more knights then Consulars, sure, but it is far from underplayed.

After launch people are going to pick the class they think has the best story, not based on any aesthetics within the class.

Really? I found the agent the most fun class, by far. Oh well, to each his own.

Gameplay and aesthetics are quite important, too, though. The story takes time to develop (and you aren't following the story line all the time) but gameplay and visuals are always present.

The fact that they made Jedi a class from the start is one of the main reasons I will not be purchasing this game. Star Wars: Galaxies had the right idea with making force sensitive characters available only after a lengthy quest chain since it would force players to branch out when selecting a class instead of just flocking one and leaving the rest to rot. After seeing these little trailers I've noticed that the only thing making The Old Republic unique among MMO's is its source material. Apart from that the classes look like carbon copies of your standard fantasy archetypes translated into a Sci-Fi/Fantasy setting.

The graphics also look absolutely terrible and so do the animations and whilst bad graphics aren't necessarily a deal breaker when the art design is fantastic, here it's just not the case. World of Warcraft has better animations and graphics than what we're seeing here and that's a game released way back in 2004.

I expected more from The Old Republic especially giving the source material and whilst I'm not to keen on calling it a WoW clone since I haven't played the game yet what these trailers have definitely showed me is that instead of innovating and making full use of the source material they're just using it to hide what is essentially a run of the mill MMORPG using the same outdated rules gamers have been forced to obey since WoW was released.

I don't think I have ever wanted a game to be good like this before, please be good, oh god please be good

Smertnik:

animehermit:

Smertnik:

Really? I found the agent the most fun class, by far. Oh well, to each his own.

Gameplay and aesthetics are quite important, too, though. The story takes time to develop (and you aren't following the story line all the time) but gameplay and visuals are always present.

You'd be surprised how little time it takes for the story to get really engaging. Mostly because you do heroic things from level 1. No more kill rats for the first 20 levels before you start doing to the cool stuff. I disagree about people not paying attention to the story, it's a huge part of the game and is there from level 1 to 50. Every quest has a story, and while not all of them do, most have options for how the player completes them. I'm going to paraphrase Penny Arcade here a bit, but doing the quests in other MMOs is just something you do to play the game (IE you do quests to get to max level to raid) in SWTOR, doing the quests IS playing the game.

:| Sigh. Bioware... guys... I know you're trying, but even Two Steps from Hell isn't going to make this epic. A thing I thought impossible before.

AndyFromMonday:
The fact that they made Jedi a class from the start is one of the main reasons I will not be purchasing this game. Star Wars: Galaxies had the right idea with making force sensitive characters available only after a lengthy quest chain since it would force players to branch out when selecting a class instead of just flocking one and leaving the rest to rot. After seeing these little trailers I've noticed that the only thing making The Old Republic unique among MMO's is its source material. Apart from that the classes look like carbon copies of your standard fantasy archetypes translated into a Sci-Fi/Fantasy setting.

Two different games, two different time periods, SWG was set in a time where Jedi were not anywhere near as common as they are in the Old Republic era. It makes sense that there are lots of jedi/sith around. Jedi should not be "unlocked" after you pick a class since it doesn't fit with the lore from the time period. Jedi are trained from a very young age, having the player go against that breaks the lore a bit. It's been known to happen in a few rare cases, but on this scale? It completely breaks the lore.

AndyFromMonday:

The graphics also look absolutely terrible and so do the animations and whilst bad graphics aren't necessarily a deal breaker when the art design is fantastic, here it's just not the case. World of Warcraft has better animations and graphics than what we're seeing here and that's a game released way back in 2004.

I'm going to cut you a little slack here since you say you've never played WoW. You have no idea what you are talking about. Just from this video alone I can see that this has better facial animations, character customization, environment detail, and higher resolution characters than WoW. Anyone who says otherwise either needs to have their eyes examined or has never played WoW.

Besides, this is not actual gameplay, it's just a video using the engine, I suggest you look up the multitudes of gameplay footage (specifically Taral V, or the the new Esseles walkthrough).

AndyFromMonday:

I expected more from The Old Republic especially giving the source material and whilst I'm not to keen on calling it a WoW clone since I haven't played the game yet what these trailers have definitely showed me is that instead of innovating and making full use of the source material they're just using it to hide what is essentially a run of the mill MMORPG using the same outdated rules gamers have been forced to obey since WoW was released.

There are a lot of things both on a macro and micro level that differentiate this from the standard MMO, story a big part of that, but there are a lot of other things as well, such as companions(which ARE NOT pets, they function a lot like the companions from DA or ME). I don't want to get into everything right now, but suffice it to say there are a lot of things this game is improving upon from the standard MMO formula.

2xDouble:

Vrach:

Sith really put "teach only one apprentice" on the same level as "seek to increase your power"? wow...

The idea was that the Dark Side was spread across everyone who used it, thus, if you only had two Sith, one to teach and one to learn (and forever on, passing the knowledge), they would have the ultimate amount of power.

And yeah, that's one conclusion. Another would be you're just nitpicking for the sake of having an argument against the game.

Abedeus:
Why does the combat look worse than in Jedi Academy? That game is freaking old, and the combat was a LOT prettier than here...

It's an MMO, they haveto build shit tons of content so all their work gets stretched paper thin.

It would probably make a pretty decent single player RPG, as an MMO tho it just holds no appeal.

Vrach:
You're just nitpicking for the sake of having an argument against the game.

Exactly...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.