Trailers: X-Men: Destiny - Powers Vignette

X-Men: Destiny - Powers Vignette

Chose your powers wisely, because not everyone can have adamantium claws or laser eyes.

Watch Video

From what I've noticed, this game is receiving a level of loathing usually reserved for a newly announced Twilight sequel. Not sure why though. It looks interesting. Not groundbreaking, certainly, but interesting.

My best guess is the limited amount of character options, thereby severely limiting roleplaying options. Personal roleplay, at least. I think it'll be fun to build a big football meathead character centered around smashing things.

Everything about this screams missed opportunity and wasted potential to me. I think that's an oppinion widely reflected and is the reason this is getting the huge amount of hate. It's halfway between voiceless character with huge customization and actual singleplayer experience without any customization but a finely crafted story and some nice voice acting and fleshed out character. Therefore it will most likely be the worst of both. At least that's what it looks like.

The powers are also nothing to write home about. For being stuck with one power for the whole game there just doesn't seem to be enough variety in the moveset. I'm also getting mighty tired of all the bluffy powerphrases present in every video game trailer these days "Your life will never be the same again", "It is your destiny to play this game". Turns me right off.

I know that I'm going to get this game b/c I am an X-Men fan. However it seems that the combat element is going to be severely limited and that the choices you make for storyline are going to be fairly black-and-white (X-Men or Brotherhood) when there are many other teams or options to go with (in the actual lore of X-Men).

This video didn't seem to show too much; it's pretty much a teaser, which I'm fine with. I hope there will be more to come.

The trailer doesnt give much away, from a gameplay aspect.

I wish it would, so i know if I should get excited or not!

Why would someone make a game based on the X-Men, but not featuring playable X-Men? That is the reason for the hate, at least from me.

I am on the fence about this one. I want it to be good, but there is also a lot of potential for it to suck.

ccdohl:
Why would someone make a game based on the X-Men, but not featuring playable X-Men? That is the reason for the hate, at least from me.

You get to be the
Asian Girl
Football Player
Cole McGrath

Who befriends the Xmen/Brotherhood of Mutants

Isnt that the same?!
(umm no)

I kinda wish deep down inside it was like Champions Online/City of X and I could create my own Hero and hang w/....whichever side I wanted

I don't know why but from the trailer it was screaming DCuniverse combat.
which isn't a bad thing but it doesn't seem very creative.

ccdohl:

I can deal with not playing as a recognized member of the Brotherhood or, the X-Men but I think the biggest problem is that they give you 3 pre-made people to play as. The best thing this game could have done (other than letting you control known X-Men/ Brotherhood) would have been to make your own character from the ground up.

This game doesn't look terrible yet though...want to see some actual game-play before I can really decide one way or another. More than likely going to wait until this is in a bargain bin.

Hey by the way, is this a single-player game? It looks kinda like it wants to be Ultimate Alliance but from what I've seen gameplay wise, the style and tone would suggest single-player. I'm hoping for single-player though if only for the achievements.

HandfulofWolf:
Everything about this screams missed opportunity and wasted potential to me. I think that's an oppinion widely reflected and is the reason this is getting the huge amount of hate. It's halfway between voiceless character with huge customization and actual singleplayer experience without any customization but a finely crafted story and some nice voice acting and fleshed out character. Therefore it will most likely be the worst of both. At least that's what it looks like.

The powers are also nothing to write home about. For being stuck with one power for the whole game there just doesn't seem to be enough variety in the moveset. I'm also getting mighty tired of all the bluffy powerphrases present in every video game trailer these days "Your life will never be the same again", "It is your destiny to play this game". Turns me right off.

I completely agree. It took a while to put my finger on what it was that doesnt sit well with me about this game and I think I figured it out. It looks like a reskinned Prototype. Maybe like a mod or something.

None of the characters look quite "right" except the obligatory character cameos.

What if, now this is a big "What If.." the characters that they have been showing are only placeholders and examples of a player creatable character? Other than that it looks like a mix between InFamous and the Ultimate Alliance games to be honest.

Frost27:

HandfulofWolf:

I completely agree. It took a while to put my finger on what it was that doesnt sit well with me about this game and I think I figured it out. It looks like a reskinned Prototype. Maybe like a mod or something.

None of the characters look quite "right" except the obligatory character cameos.

You know I got that exact same feeling. As soon as it showed the density control moves I thought "Prototype".

You know what would have been an intriguing game? Imagine this:

X-Men Destiny-
A "What if?" game. You choose one character from X-Men lore and go through a finely crafted story where you get to make choices that change the character and his relationship to others. What if Professor Xavier had joined the Brotherhood? What if Wolverine and Sabretooth had put aside their differences and fought their own vengeful battle side by side. What if etc. etc. It is a game of infinite possibility and with some nifty writing and good voice acting, not to mention new as well as old costumes and an updated fighting system that apes Wolverine Origins we would have had a hell of a game... Alas.

HandfulofWolf:

You know I got that exact same feeling. As soon as it showed the density control moves I thought "Prototype".

You know what would have been an intriguing game? Imagine this:

X-Men Destiny-
A "What if?" game. You choose one character from X-Men lore and go through a finely crafted story where you get to make choices that change the character and his relationship to others. What if Professor Xavier had joined the Brotherhood? What if Wolverine and Sabretooth had put aside their differences and fought their own vengeful battle side by side. What if etc. etc. It is a game of infinite possibility and with some nifty writing and good voice acting, not to mention new as well as old costumes and an updated fighting system that apes Wolverine Origins we would have had a hell of a game... Alas.

That or even an open world that "borrows" from Assassin's Creed or even the Saints Row 2 engine would have been better. Story wise, anything that let's you create your own character with an overall story of "what" you are more than "who" and something more than a premade run-through.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here