Escape to the Movies: Fright Night

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Conan was bad?! Awww I'm so-

Wait... no surprise there, that's right.

Ne1butme:

Imp Emissary:
I had heard about The Help's "problem" on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, but it was not really explained. Now I know. <_> That's kinda bad....

Jon Oliver's "White people are amazing" line from the other night just killed me.

My favorite was the one about the yellow lobster.

They always go right for the nuts with those claws...

Hey Bob? I know you've explained before why you review more mainstream films and such because it's kinda expected of you and you are here to meet expectations, but there are some great films that might be foreign, indy or just not featured in the spotlight as much that I'd love to see you talk about. The best film I've seen in the cinema this past month was probably Beginners, and I'd love to hear what you think of it.

I'm not just saying "Review what I like!" but Bob himself sounds kinda tired out when reviewing something like Transformers 3 or Pirates of the Caribbean 4, and if these things got a quick "Yeah don't waste your time and money" he might have more time to talk about out-of-the-way films.
Maybe something like a "Films you may not be planning to see" corner every four weeks or something, I dunno. Just my two cents.

On topic, another cool episode. I might actually see this film now. And Colin Farrell can definitely be a good actor when he wants to be. I thought he was spectacular in InBruges.

I'm still going to watch that movie with Emma Stone. Why? Because Emma Stone is a hot and I actually like her.

Shame that they butchered the remake of Conan the Barbarian but I do have the original so I'll just watch that and watch Fright Night when I get the chance.

When he said "David Tennant", I paused the video, bought tickets online, then watched the rest.

Please back up the Conan comment in its own (if there's enough to talk about) - I had been looking forward.

Hungry Donner:
The real question is, "is it safe for me to bring me wife to see a movie with a shirtless, leather-clad David Tennant" ;)

I'd err on the side of caution. Scienticians believe that a shirtless, leather-clad David Tennant will cause approximately 14 pregnancies per square meter.

OT: Glad the movie is (apparently) good. I was wanting to see it, and I usually agree with Bob on most things. I think I'll go in a few hours. Maybe I can beat the annoying teenagers before they get out of school.

I enjoyed Conan the Destroyer - it doesn't have the depth of the original but I still found it to be a fun D&D-esq movie. The original continues to surprise me, it really is an amazing movie.

When I first heard that Momoa would be staring in a new Conan movie I found that I was actually looking forward to it . . . but the first trailer just didn't look interesting and I've hardly paid attention to it since.

So it is good huh? Great, cause I really liked the original and I just love it when a remake actually succeeds. Shame I have to wait for about a month before I can see it here.

And they are making a new American Pie movie? Sweet:)
I may be alone in this, but I have always liked the AP movies (except for band camp). And 1 cast member do have a career. Allyson Hannigan is doing pretty damn well in "How I Met Your Mother".

RJ Dalton:
So, wait . . .
The Conan remake is worse than a film about how the civil rights movement was inspired a white college girl looking to prove something to herself?
I can't imagine something being that bad.

This is my feeling on the subject of both movies as well. The Conan remake is worse than "The Help"? I could maybe believe "The Help" if the girl just helped it get started in her own little town and not the whole bloody movement...

As for Fright Night, the moment I saw David Tennant in the ad's I figured I would be plunking down my cash to see it, glad to know it doesn't suck. :D

As for the Conan movie, I'll give it a shot one of these days.

Damn...as fun as it is to hear you rip apart a bad movie (like Green Lantern) I'm glad you did Fright Night. The film looks pretty good though I'm honestly a bit more interested to see the original.

So, looks like I'll be hunting netflix for a pair of classics!

I said the NEW Conan was going to fail from the moment I saw the teaser.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.270296-New-Conan-film-threaten-to-SUCK-BALLS#10384295

I recall my origional statment.

"I can see why the studio kept this film under wraps.
For like a hurricane... This film will suck AND blow AT THE SAME TIME!"

Susan Arendt:
Conan the Destroyer, yes, that's complete crap.

I hate to tell you this buuuuut "Conan the Destroyer" was far more closer to the Robert E. Howard's books than the origional.

The FIRST Conan was supposed to be written in the exact same manner as the second but after looking at a few rough drafts (one by Oliver Stone) it was decided that a "Howard inspired" script would be better for shooting and viewing purposes IE: getting it financed and circulated.

If you want to rip on a REAL turkey, look no further than...

Susan Arendt:

Togs:
Guess the role of thread iconoclast falls to me- the original conan movies were diabolically bad and the new one looks pretty good in a crappy b movie type of way.

Completely disagree. Conan the Destroyer, yes, that's complete crap, but the first Conan is surprisingly good. I went in expecting full-on cheese, but it's remarkably well done.

As for Fright Night, you had me at "David Tennant".

What tiped me off to this one being bad was how different the environment looked.

The first one (to my memory so tell me if I'm wrong) had a more middle east desert world to it, and the main bad guy had the whole strange cult cult leader/god look. However, the impression I got from the trailers was that the main bad guy was more like some kind of medieval king, and Conan seemed to be in a more forest like place.

It all came off to me as Robin Hood only with a shirtless swordsman looking for blood not gold. That doesn't sound so bad typed, but I guess in practice it just doesn't work.

Anyway, happy to see that Fright Night seems to be good. I do like how they are using the old vampire rules. I hear depending on the culture the vampire rules change. I don't know much more than that about it all though.

I haven't seen "The Blind Side," so I don't know much about it in that regard but I did see "The Help" with my fiance last Sunday.

Top Critics gave "The Help" a 74% while the audience gave it a 94% on rotten tomatoes. I thought the movie was really good. The acting was great, story was great and for a period piece set in the early 1960's Mississippi, it was spot on. My only complaint was that the movie ran a bit long. The negative reviews I've read from top critics seem to point to how the movie was billed as "the events in this movie sparked a revolution in the mid-1960's." THE MOVIE DID NOT DO THIS! In fact, the movie blatantly points to events occurring outside of Mississippi that help stir up change in the American south. The whole point of the book was to tell a story from the perspective of black maids raising white children in a racially divided south. It was NOT the only reason for the start of the civil rights movement. In fact, the editor of the book basically said "get the book written before this civil rights hype blows over."

Sorry Bob, love your reviews but you're wrong on this one. The white actresses weren't even that good. It was the back maids that stole the show. Viola Davis or Octavia Spencer should win an Oscar. They were both that good.

David Tennant.

YOU CRAFTY HOLLYWOOD BASTARDS CASHING IN ON MY DOCTOR WHO FANBOYISM!

is it just me, or do his reviews seem kinda off lately. it seems like his criteria lately hasnt been, "is it good or bad," but rather, "everything out sucks but this sucks less so go see it." i know hes a fanboy and not a serious movie reviewer, but it seems like there used to be much less emphasis on how a movie compares with other movies currently out

ImprovizoR:
I'm still going to watch that movie with Emma Stone. Why? Because Emma Stone is a hot and I actually like her.

You're seeing it just cause she's hot? :) That's funny, considering one of the main goals her character has in the film is to prove that women are more than just pretty things to look at. HA!

somonels:
Also, about the new Fright Night. Great, demonizing male sexuality... that's new, almost as new as demonizing female sexuality. Can we please get over genitalia and sex sometime in the near future?

It's a vampire story - how can it not be about demonizing sex? That's what all the great ones are about - "The Vampyre," Carmilla, Dracula... Oh, yeah, and Twilight as well.

Wow. This has suddenly become a depressing conclusion.

Agent Larkin:
Its David Tennant playing Nic Cage playing a Vampire Hunter.

What could possibly go wrong?

If that's not a cast iron reason to go see a movie I don't know what is.

Susan Arendt:

Togs:
Guess the role of thread iconoclast falls to me- the original conan movies were diabolically bad and the new one looks pretty good in a crappy b movie type of way.

Completely disagree. Conan the Destroyer, yes, that's complete crap, but the first Conan is surprisingly good. I went in expecting full-on cheese, but it's remarkably well done.

As for Fright Night, you had me at "David Tennant".

See, I'm with Togs here. I was expecting cheesy B-movie with good action. Theoretically that's what it is. There are just several problems that torpedoed it for me.

-Arnold was terrible, I expected this but still...

-The plot felt very disconnected. Sure the part where James Earl Jones slaughters Conan's tribe is supposed to drive the film, but it felt so separate from everything else that happened.

-The WTF mystical elements. Seriously I have no problem with supernatural forces, but they were so isolated, and always felt more Deus Ex Machina than actually part of the story.

-The characters never felt well thought out, especially the love interest. Perhaps it was poor delivery by her (and Arnie) but any development there felt entirely forced.

I dunno, I wish I saw the same movie you did, because I always enjoy quality B-grade cheese. It's a movie I wanted to like, but just couldn't. Maybe if I rewatched it I'd find what makes people love it, I just have no interest in doing that really.

somonels:
Boycott Movie Bob, reason: Not enought praise for Tennant and making him sound like a third wheel. I honestly had no idea who Colin Farrell is, though I did think of Will Ferrell.

Also, about the "what's best in life": hurrrgh, so bad. Though I guess I have to be impressed by a bull-man talking.

Also, about the new Fright Night. Great, demonizing male sexuality... that's new, almost as new as demonizing female sexuality. Can we please get over genitalia and sex sometime in the near future?

Also, I'm finished.

Demonizing sexuality is one thing, demonizing sexual... well, sexual demons is another thing entirely.

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. Not even you will remember if we were good men or bad. All that matters is that an audience had the testicular fortitude to sit through the '11 Conan flick. Valor pleases you, Crom. So grant me one request. Grant me that Bob was exaggerating in how bad Conan 2011 is. And if you do not listen, then to hell with you!

And yes, the '82 Conan movie does still totally holds up, beyond the shadow of a doubt.

plugav:

somonels:

It's a vampire story - how can it not be about demonizing sex? That's what all the great ones are about - "The Vampyre," Carmilla, Dracula... Oh, yeah, and Twilight as well.

Wow. This has suddenly become a depressing conclusion.

This made me very sad :( ... :<
I had already ceased to associate vampires with the alleged subtext to sexual desires, which you can apply pretty much everywhere, thanks to a little film called "The Man From Earth".

Don't really care about Conan being awful due too me seeing this soley too advance jason mormans acting career.Stilll good episode glad tennant performs and farrel also delivers haven't heard of hope till now and won't watch it anyway.
Does the original really still hold up? That just seem's like nostalgia to me.

What's this? Bob not totally bagging out a remake? Has the Apocalypse finally happened?

Also, they're making another American Pie movie??? What's this one going to be about? The mid-life crisis??

NinjaDeathSlap:

Agent Larkin:
Its David Tennant playing Nic Cage playing a Vampire Hunter.

What could possibly go wrong?

If that's not a cast iron reason to go see a movie I don't know what is.

Damn right.

does this review seem horribly short to anyone else besides me?

misterprickly:
I said the NEW Conan was going to fail from the moment I saw the teaser.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.270296-New-Conan-film-threaten-to-SUCK-BALLS#10384295

I recall my origional statment.

"I can see why the studio kept this film under wraps.
For like a hurricane... This film will suck AND blow AT THE SAME TIME!"

Susan Arendt:
Conan the Destroyer, yes, that's complete crap.

I hate to tell you this buuuuut "Conan the Destroyer" was far more closer to the Robert E. Howard's books than the origional.

So what? The movie is terrible. The fact that it's closer to the source material doesn't make it suck any less.

It's always been poor Tennant's problem. They stick him with these roles that don't challenge him enough - and he gets lazy. As "John Smith" in The Family of Blood he could finally kick ass, but then he had to drop back into Davies's Doctor. Same with Rab.C.Nesbitt's Davina/St. Trinian's.
Give him a meaty role and he really gets into it.

But what is this? A movie that re-uses an old name and actually is a decent movie? DAMN. That's gonna be worth supporting just for that. Maybe Hollywood will finally get the idea.

Who am I kidding?

misterprickly:

If you want to rip on a REAL turkey, look no further than...

Don't. Just don't. I will fight you over this.

iniudan:
I had hoped it for full Conan this week, but I guess the awful will be enough. =p

Ironic that this was the first comment, I was just going to ask about something similar.

Does Moviebob pick his movies to review or are they picked for him? If it's the former, was Conan actually THAT bad that he ditched it completely for something else?

dalek sec:

As for Fright Night, the moment I saw David Tennant in the ad's I figured I would be plunking down my cash to see it, glad to know it doesn't suck. :D

Nope, it doesn't suck. It scrapes with the fangs and then licks up the blood.

On a side note: Fucking recapchas! I've been through thirty of them at this moment and not one of them was even legible. Two or three I thought, but I apparently got them wrong.

Draconalis:
Conan was bad?! Awww I'm so-

Wait... no surprise there, that's right.

When I first learned that Jason Momoa had been cast as Conan, I thought "WTF? This is going to suck." Then I saw him as Khal Drogo and thought "Hey, maybe he might work as Conan." But I guess I was wrong. What's especially annoying is that the greenlighting of a new Red Sonja film (allegedly) hinges entirely on the commercial success of this new Conan picture, so I guess that film's probably not going to happen now :-(

RJ Dalton:

dalek sec:

Nope, it doesn't suck. It scrapes with the fangs and then licks up the blood.

On a side note: Fucking recapchas! I've been through thirty of them at this moment and not one of them was even legible. Two or three I thought, but I apparently got them wrong.

A grim reference I am impressed. You get 1+ internetz.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.