Trailers: XCOM - Gameplay Trailer

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Eh... i am a big X-Com fan {At least of the 2, maybe three first ones *g*} and i also like first-person rpg games.

But this:
1. Cover based blahblah
2. Too much action, not enough suspense
3. Regenerating health... REALLY?

Might be okay-ish though. {If the basestuff / planning / interaction etc. can make the game atmospheric and challenging}

Okay, I was completely heartset on hating this game when I saw the reveal, but apparently that was just shitty marketing. I must have this.

I'm not a fan of the original X-Com games, but the 'strategy vision' and the use of time units really rub me the wrong way. It strikes me as the laziest, most ham-handed attempt to try and force a connection where there is none.

Heh.. I can't say I'm totally sold on the health bars and I'm not so sure about that "overwhelming choice" comment he made either.

Overall, my judgement is meh! followed with a dismissive wave of my hand.

Vankraken:

Lets say we want to reboot Quake but as a child I had trouble with aiming and always felt like it was too fast pace so we are going to go for a strategic element with you managing battle arenas from a top down perspective. You can add in item spawn points and have NPCs pay admission into your battle arenas and play. You can set up concession stands to sell snacks and research new more exciting power ups to make your battle arenas more fun. You got to hire staff to clean up the battle arenas and do repairs when item spawns and jump pads start to wear down. The weapons you can expect to add to your battle arena are pistols, shotguns, sniper rifles, assault rifles, grenades, and a missile launcher. We are going to call it "QUAKE"

Instead of naming it something like "Battle Arena Tycoon" they go use the name Quake when it has basically nothing to do with FPS. That is whats happening with this "XCOM" reboot as it has nothing to do with the lore or gameplay of the original. Its disrespectful to slap the name of a computer game classic like X-Com on a game that really doesn't even try to come close to the original.
In unrelated news I think 2K is planning to revive the Master of Orion series as a racing game where you race space buggies on the planet Orion. They secretly will be inspired by the physics of Mass Effect's Mako driving segments.

Edit: spell check changed my mako into make >:|

Well, they kind of already have done that.

Go look up Quake 4.

It still pisses me off that they are calling it XCOM, It sure as hell isn't. We know it, you know it, so why not change the name?! What idiot is going to buy this game because it is wearing the title "XCOM"?!

X-COM didn't even fucking exist in the 60's T.T"

This looks great and I'll definitely play it, but like everyone said... it's not X-Com at all.

The indie "Xenonauts" game looks like a much better X-com sequel, and that's just a few guys in london, not an enire 2K development team. Actually Xenonauts basically IS an X-com sequel, I just hope the lawyers don't get to that game before I do...

A perfectly generic squad-based FPS that just happens to rape the good name of one of the best strategy series of all time.

Not buying. I just think less of 2K for this travesty.

Simonism451:

Chaos Marine:
Still not X-Com. I really wish they'd stop. Or at least die in a fire. Oh yes, they played the original X-Com? They really must have hated and despised it like the KKK hate non-white races.

No no, you aren't getting the full graveness of the situation, they hate the original X-Com the way the Nazis hate jews. This new game is equal to the holocaust of the 21st century and we, the X-Com fans are its victims.

"They came first for the Fallout Fans
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Fallout Fan
Then they came for the Far Cry Fans
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Far Cry Fan
Then they came for the Prince of Persia Fans
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Prince of Persia Fan
Then they came for the Alone in the Dark Fans
and I didn't speak up because I was a Silent Hill Fan
Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Nazis? I invoke Godwin's law. Fallout 3 was actually a good game by the way, sure it was glitchy but what Bethesda game isn't to some extent? The others, yes, I didn't care because the Prince of Persia died a long time ago to me, never cared about Alone in the Dark or Silent Hill.

this isnt x-com.. what it did strike me as is a rip off of an old tv alien invasion show set during the 1960's where an agent would go out into the field to investigate, yes there was a research base as well. check it out it was called dark skies.. this game is not x-com. it is a cover based shooter of a plagerised dark skies premise

if this was its own ip then I would actually probably be interested in it but since these idiots decided to call it xcom and have nothing to do with xcom, I wont give it the time of day

I've come up with better titles for this game.

Mass FX
Xmas Effect

This is an odd one, it has some very interesting parts but for some reason it's suuuuper sloooow, and if the combat is all like that... well I haven't got the patience for turn based stuff anymore.

JoesshittyOs:
All it takes is a name to make a game bad nowadays, doesn't it?

Abuse of a name is the problem, if you order steak and I bring you a salad I'm guessing you would complain.
And in this case they want to cash in on a fanbase that they do not appease.

I just can't stop laughing at the Fanboys in the comment section yelling "THIS ISN'T XCOM!"

Haha, oh lawd. So what? It's a game with the same name, noone ever claimed it would fully represent the old game.
Or did they? If they did, then you really should understand that game-companies are full of shit, and promise a whole lot they don't intend to keep.
So why don't you imagine this is "Mass Effect in the 60's", as some bloke pointed out up there, and ignore the XCOM-bit? Because to me, it looks cool. Far cooler than Mass Effect.

("BUT IT ISN'T XCOM!" Yes, I heard you first time, and I still don't care. It looks like a good game. If you want XCOM, play the old one, because this clearly isn't a remake.)

Realitycrash:

Haha, oh lawd. So what? It's a game with the same name, noone ever claimed it would fully represent the old game.

You're a barrel of laughs, aren't you? I bet the Schaudenfraude of Hurricane Irene has you in stitches.

Perhaps you could take a moment to look beyond your interpretation of the situation and into the background - exemplified by the Transformers films.

What you're talking about is not just the use of a good name to promote something average, or the idea that - if we remove the name - it wouldn't sell, but rather the legacy where X-Com goes from a well loved game, to a tolerated set of games, to a generic shooter - and can't go back to the well loved game because 2K Marin are sitting on the licence to prevent an accurate remake.

But, if you just enjoy laughing at people missing something special to them, I'm sure there's a job for you in Scientology somewhere.

I honestly think it looks great. I've played the old ones and I'm looking forward to this one. Everyone else can bitch and moan about it not being copy pasted from the old ones, but seriously it looks like it has some great potential.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Realitycrash:

You're a barrel of laughs, aren't you? I bet the Schaudenfraude of Hurricane Irene has you in stitches.

Perhaps you could take a moment to look beyond your interpretation of the situation and into the background - exemplified by the Transformers films.

What you're talking about is not just the use of a good name to promote something average, or the idea that - if we remove the name - it wouldn't sell, but rather the legacy where X-Com goes from a well loved game, to a tolerated set of games, to a generic shooter - and can't go back to the well loved game because 2K Marin are sitting on the licence to prevent an accurate remake.

But, if you just enjoy laughing at people missing something special to them, I'm sure there's a job for you in Scientology somewhere.

I'm pretty sure that this would sell even better if it removed the name, because it looks hella' fun. What's going to hurts its sales are the XCOM fans yelling about how "this isn't XCOM!".

You know, I'm a diehard Fallout-fan, and even though I felt Fallout 3 was sort of shite compared to the original (you know, because it wasn't turn-based and strategic combat - Somethings I hear original XCOM was too) I realized that I can't force gaming-companies to devolve 15 years back in time, and that if you want to just have the same old game, you should get a third-party developer to make another mod for the old XCOM.
They still make mods for Morrowind, you know? And with plenty of other old games.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Realitycrash:

I'm pretty sure that this would sell even better if it removed the name, because it looks hella' fun. What's going to hurts its sales are the XCOM fans yelling about how "this isn't XCOM!".

You know, I'm a diehard Fallout-fan, and even though I felt Fallout 3 was sort of shite compared to the original (you know, because it wasn't turn-based and strategic combat - Somethings I hear original XCOM was too) I realized that I can't force gaming-companies to devolve 15 years back in time, and that if you want to just have the same old game, you should get a third-party developer to make another mod for the old XCOM.
They still make mods for Morrowind, you know? And with plenty of other old games.

Looks like they still don't understand what makes an x-com game.

Scripted combat? blech.
Scripted missions? blech.

It seems the only choice is "turret now or research later".

The point of X-com is to have suicide grenade rookie run into the UFO and explode all over the aliens. This is more like (as others have said) mass effect with a new skin.

Now, I'm not saying its a bad game, it looks moderately fun. But I'm not buying it for fear of encouraging more people to spit on the X-com franchise.

Realitycrash:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Realitycrash:

Modern game design isn't the problem with Oblivon and Fallout 3, it's bad writing and poor choices on what to "fix" in general. Morrowind and the old Fallouts have their problems but Oblivion didn't fix any of Morrowinds real issues beyond being able to use magic and weapons at the same time, it just made things generally worse. Fallout 3 was a bunch of random, disconnected setpieces that had nothing to do with the old games or even with each other. New Vegas proved that you COULD make a modern Fallout game in a different style but preserve the spirit, setting, and style of the original.

This, on the other hand, doesn't even reach Oblivion's level. It has literally NOTHING to do with Xcom. You could make a decent RPG/FPS out of Xcom, or you could make a new turn based strategy title that actually fixes a lot of the old game's balance and interface issues. NOPE let's slap that name on something unrelated, how professional.

FredTheUndead:

Realitycrash:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Modern game design isn't the problem with Oblivon and Fallout 3, it's bad writing and poor choices on what to "fix" in general. Morrowind and the old Fallouts have their problems but Oblivion didn't fix any of Morrowinds real issues beyond being able to use magic and weapons at the same time, it just made things generally worse. Fallout 3 was a bunch of random, disconnected setpieces that had nothing to do with the old games or even with each other. New Vegas proved that you COULD make a modern Fallout game in a different style but preserve the spirit, setting, and style of the original.

This, on the other hand, doesn't even reach Oblivion's level. It has literally NOTHING to do with Xcom. You could make a decent RPG/FPS out of Xcom, or you could make a new turn based strategy title that actually fixes a lot of the old game's balance and interface issues. NOPE let's slap that name on something unrelated, how professional.

Problem is that I don't think game-designers consider "turn-based combat" to be something that people want nowdays, outside of Final Fantasy and certain strategic-games (Civilization comes to mind).
I wouldn't mind seeing more of it, rly, but what bothers you is that the setting has been changed, yes?

Oh hey look, its Waist High Walls 52: Using the XCOM IP To Sell Copies edition.

It doesn't look...bad.
Sure, it has very little to do with the original X-Com, other than the name and a few recognizable words, (i.e. Elerium) but it still looks pretty fun.

I do wish that instead of "The Outsiders", they had kept the aliens from the original X-Com in it, like Sectoids or even Floaters, but it still looks pretty fun.

I can't get my mind aorund how a company can set their mind to do stuff like this.

The crowd that enjoyed X-com wanted strategy, a challenge and a race against time and a strong enemy. X-com: apocalypse showed, that the game could go from TBS to RTS with no problem. And even though Hasbro made a couple of bad releases - it was still in the RTS genre.

While the setting and enemies seem interresting. The gameplay will most likely be just as dull and repetitive as mass effect.

I agree with others in this thread, who point out that the game would have even bigger potential if it came w/o the xcom brand.

I guess devs can only come up with CBS these days - something simple for the console 2.0 generation, that needs a quick fix and shys away from any game with depth.

Chaos Marine:

Simonism451:

Chaos Marine:
Still not X-Com. I really wish they'd stop. Or at least die in a fire. Oh yes, they played the original X-Com? They really must have hated and despised it like the KKK hate non-white races.

No no, you aren't getting the full graveness of the situation, they hate the original X-Com the way the Nazis hate jews. This new game is equal to the holocaust of the 21st century and we, the X-Com fans are its victims.

"They came first for the Fallout Fans
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Fallout Fan
Then they came for the Far Cry Fans
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Far Cry Fan
Then they came for the Prince of Persia Fans
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Prince of Persia Fan
Then they came for the Alone in the Dark Fans
and I didn't speak up because I was a Silent Hill Fan
Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Nazis? I invoke Godwin's law. Fallout 3 was actually a good game by the way, sure it was glitchy but what Bethesda game isn't to some extent? The others, yes, I didn't care because the Prince of Persia died a long time ago to me, never cared about Alone in the Dark or Silent Hill.

Unfortunately the internet still isn't capable of transporting the layer of sarcasm, thick enough to suffocate a grown man, that was originally included in my earlier post.

Realitycrash:

FredTheUndead:

Realitycrash:

Problem is that I don't think game-designers consider "turn-based combat" to be something that people want nowdays, outside of Final Fantasy and certain strategic-games (Civilization comes to mind).
I wouldn't mind seeing more of it, rly, but what bothers you is that the setting has been changed, yes?

Civ does well, Fire Emblem usually does fairly, Paradox has a steady fanbase, there's still plenty of turn based games that do well. You could make a new Xcom game and fix up the clunky, outdated issues with the old one, it'd just need the right marketing, same as anything else. They instead opted to attach the name to something unrelated. It's really an offense on many levels.

I suppose that's the issue in the end, how this game "feels" to people when they see it and play it. How it feels to me is that this game is a decent, though... uninspired American-centric game set in a time period people like.

Looks good, despite the bastardation of the franchise name.

Is there anybody, *anybody* in the whole world who knows what X-COM is and would buy this game? I mean I can think of two distinct classes of people: Strategy fans who loved the original X-COM, and people who play first-person shooters. There. Is. No. Overlap!

I mean, granted, it worked for Fallout 3, but that's because Fallout 3 had a whole bunch of world-building to fall back on, and, oh yeah, Bethesda kept the original aesthetic!

They might as well make a Minecraft sequel using the Unreal Engine where you lug machine guns onto dig sites and use them to shoot skeletons, only with no pixels, blocks, digging, or crafting. You know, a real spiritual successor!

Okay, I can see where they're coming from a little more..

The destructible scenery is a nice touch, even if you know it's going to be horribly limited. The idea of extending research in an FPS beyond the system shock paradigm, even very, very slightly, has my approval. But you could have done all these things in an original franchise and we wouldn't be calling it a spiritual successor to X-Com even if you executed it perfectly.

It's just exploitative marketing. Noone likes exploitative marketing.

Could be really good -- I still prefer healthpacks to regen though. Seems lots of people do.

So they're saying this is X-COM revisioned as a hybrid between Mass Effect and Pokémon, with an X-COMmy part with the research/rpg bits between. If that's true, and it actually is what they say it is, then it sounds great to me!

Frankster:
"When we played the original xcom, we felt sort of, almost overwhelemed with choices in between missions"

Original xcom was felt to be too overwhelming with choices for these devs?

That's the point I stopped watching the trailer.

Matthew94:
A 20 minute trailer isn't contemporary.

This is also not what I'd call a gameplay trailer...

Enkidu88:

Frankster:
"When we played the original xcom, we felt sort of, almost overwhelemed with choices in between missions"

Original xcom was felt to be too overwhelming with choices for these devs?

That's the point I stopped watching the trailer.

Honestly they have a damned good point. You shouldn't have had the entire range of the world to pick from for your first base in X-COM, that's a bad way to start the game. A better design decision would have been to give a number of locations that you could pick from all of which would have had their pros and cons instead of risking a starting player putting their base in the arctic and then wondering why they never saw aliens on their radar.

Likewise some of the weapons were just plain junk, for example pistols. Who uses those? You might as well use laser rifles or heavy plasmas. If you have a weapon in the game, make sure it fills a niche. A good chunk of the weapons in X-COM didn't because there were options that were obviously superior despite becoming available at the same time.

Likewise a combat tutorial would have been useful when starting the game. With important suggestions like, "Remember to have soldiers look left and right when entering a room, because there might be an alien standing right next to the door."

Note: For the record I only beat the game on easy, but I stand by my choice to use laser rifles and heavy plasmas almost exclusively because when you first fight ethereals laser rifles don't pack enough punch to kill your own guys in one shot due to armor, but they do a number on those mind controlling alien bastards.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.