Trailers: Hawken - Story Teaser

Hawken - Story Teaser

Mech combat has never looked so beautiful.

Watch Video

This feels like a throwback to early 2000, back when I was still enjoying Starsiege...

It has been too long since a game like this has shown up (I'm not counting the Mechwarrior reboot), it's even more surprising since it's from such a small company.

Smaller staff = better games?

I am absolutely loving everything I see about this game. I have hope for the industry yet, as all these smaller studios are putting out some wonderful, new, innovative titles.

That, and it looks to be a solid mech combat game. The mechs look like mechs, and feel like mechs!

Its looking good. I wonder if this is going to revitalize the genre, I'd like to see that. Maybe some good mech games... specifically a good gundam game.

As much as I love mech games like this, I FUCKING hate the story that doesn't make sense. Resources are scarce, so we run around in these fuel-sucking suits that spew smoke and fly our giant battlecruiser in the atmosphere? That makes absolutely no sense. If you were struggling for resources, the battle would be decidedly low-tech. It's like they're trying to cram a plot point in so people can relate without thinking if it makes sense.

dmase:
Its looking good. I wonder if this is going to revitalize the genre, I'd like to see that. Maybe some good mech games... specifically a good gundam game.

They could so make Gundam a massive online community sort of like eve, specifically the original Gundam not this new faster than light crap they have out.

OT: looks like a great game.

They tried doing that with gundam allready, it was called ucgo (universal century gundam online) it had a skill system not unlike that of ultima online.

The game itselfe thought was very beta-ish and they aparantly fell flat on their noses. Currently there are two private servers up for free. The titans server and the UCGO Private server. The latter one being currently the one that runs more stable and actually has some population, allbeit more japanese then english.

Makes me remember MW2 merc...

That is Mechwarrior 2 mercenaries... not COD...

I love mechgames sooo much!
Already saw trailers for this a long time ago.
PLEASE let it be good!!!

Sigh, I wonder if mechs will ever be a reality.
If so, I was born in the wrong age.

(Either Mechs or Samurai!)

Sorry but "Story Teaser" ... ya they clearly have some depth there :D
Gameplay looks cool tho.

As anemic as the story is, I don't think the phrase 'shut up and take my money' has ever applied more to anything in my life.

i hope they fix the weak sounding story before release. other than that, i gotta pre order it.

The more I see of this, the more it makes me think that the team behind it are big fans of the MechWarrior games as well as that Xbox title Phantom Crash. This game seems like a significant cross between the two. Including the look of the mechs, the weapons, crundgy look of the world, movement of the mechs, and even the giant flying ships in the sky.

Regardless, still pensively awaiting the games release. Been FAR too long since we've seen a decent (hopefully) mech game. Especially given that that project, which was designed to breathe new life into the Battletech/MechWarrior series, has seemingly just died off.

Avaholic03:
As much as I love mech games like this, I FUCKING hate the story that doesn't make sense. Resources are scarce, so we run around in these fuel-sucking suits that spew smoke and fly our giant battlecruiser in the atmosphere? That makes absolutely no sense. If you were struggling for resources, the battle would be decidedly low-tech. It's like they're trying to cram a plot point in so people can relate without thinking if it makes sense.

It's a setting where we've decided that giant bipedal robots are the most effecient way to fight across rough terrain. Logic has not merely left the building, it has dived out of a top story window while throwing up the devil horns with one hand and flipping us off with the other.

Hal10k:

Avaholic03:

It's a setting where we've decided that giant bipedal robots are the most effecient way to fight across rough terrain. Logic has not merely left the building, it has dived out of a top story window while throwing up the devil horns with one hand and flipping us off with the other.

"Now logic, me and my mech are going to kick some asses. Would you please wait here like a good little...uh...concept?"

Okay, I will admit, I don't really care too much for the story they've decided to go with. It doesn't bother me too much but I can honestly say it isn't that great. I'm actually on the Hawken forums and saw some other ideas they had. One was that it was a war between feuding companies. I actually came up with my own idea and posted it to see what people thought of it.

I actually had an idea for a story. Well, the name Hawken comes off as Russian to me. I don't know why, but the way you spelled the name reminds me of Metro 2033. Now, let's say this is either the creator of mechs, or perhaps are what the mechs are called. Probably both. The world is at war, people are fighting for resources and land, all practical weaponry has been exhausted...all except the Hawken's. Hawken's were originally the achievement of years of research, in multiple countries, all competing to perfect mechs. Russian robotic/mechanical engineer Jacob Hawken won; he perfected the mech design, making them easy to operate and affordable to create. They were originally for show, things you'd find at expos and in some rich collectors garage. Countries were trying to perfect this technology in construction, find medical applications, disaster scenarios, etc. It was only a matter of time before someone weaponized them. Now, with the world sparring against each other, Hawken's are the last viable resource and weapon on Earth. There are a few Battleships lying around and several scarce turrets to aid militaries. You are a Hawken pilot, you are apart of the war.

Soooo, whatcha think?

And this was the response: "So in this story, Hawken is like the future AK47... I dig it."

Yeah...what the hell any of that had to do with the video is lost on me.

Story and logic aside this looks like a labor of love through and through. Gotta get a PC together so I can play this.

Maybe it's not a fuel/weapons thing, maybe the precious resource is clean water, food or a medicine.

Heck, didn't we (don't we still?) have enough nukes to kill everything on the face of the earth 100 times over or something, and yet starvation is a real tangible problem? Even in countries holding the nukes.

(though I hope hey don't go for the social commentary card)

Although, considering we know jack about it thus far I hesitate to play devil's advocate much more untill more info comes out or they change it because of the public's response.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here