Trailers: Worms: Ultimate Mayhem - Trailer

Worms: Ultimate Mayhem - Trailer

The worms' mayhem becomes ultimate.

Watch Video

This looks pretty dreadful. At least I am content that the iPhone version of Worms I have is absolutely awesome, or otherwise I would be pretty annoyed. I love Worms, I hate to see crappy Worms games released.

while i debate on the side of some games that 3D isn't what killed them (sonic, Mario, etc.) Worms is not one of those games... I think 3D has done more to harm this franchise than anyhthing else. worms armegeddon was awesome what we have these days just... isn't...

I don't understand, what is it you don't like about the 3D aspect of it? It adds more strategy, and it makes every match a little more involved and varied. I mean, Worms Armageddon was hella fun anyways, and adding the third dimension makes it even more fun IMO. But I'm really interested to know where you guys are coming from.

CdnDemoniac:
I don't understand, what is it you don't like about the 3D aspect of it? It adds more strategy, and it makes every match a little more involved and varied. I mean, Worms Armageddon was hella fun anyways, and adding the third dimension makes it even more fun IMO. But I'm really interested to know where you guys are coming from.

We(or at least me), played the other 3D version of it and it was awful. It didn't have the Worms feeling. Then they released a 2D version, which was pretty good and now for some reason they're back at 3D. It just works better in 2D, you can see the entire map, including underground which was missing in the 3D. It was fun just digging inside which is horrible in 3D.

jonyboy13:

CdnDemoniac:

We(or at least me), played the other 3D version of it and it was awful. It didn't have the Worms feeling. Then they released a 2D version, which was pretty good and now for some reason they're back at 3D. It just works better in 2D, you can see the entire map, including underground which was missing in the 3D. It was fun just digging inside which is horrible in 3D.

You forgot the part where this is your opinion and in no way speaks for everyone. It was awful to you. It works better in 2D to you. I personally enjoyed Worms 3D and thought it worked just fine. I'll concede the digging point because in 3D the camera would only get in the way.

I played Worms 3D and personally loved it--felt like Worms to me. Later I found out they made Worms 4: Mayhem which refined Worms 3D and I was disappointed because I could never find a copy, but if they're mashing 3D and Mayhem together, i'm all for it. Especially if the mentioned reworked camera is truly reworked. It was kind-of a pain to use in things like Airstrikes and Teleports. The 28th can't come fast enough.

Yup. That looked like a Worms game. Worms 4: Mayhem worked well enough, and these games will always have destructible environment place in my heart, so maybe I'll check this out. I just need to snag some people to play with. Though, the 2D is better for certain aspects, the 3D provides a larger terrain, but it's rarely as twisty as the 2D games could be.

I'm sure I recognised those maps and weapons from Worms 4. Whats new about this game?

Dont remember which one I played. It was for the PC and was 2D, it was a butt load of fun.
Im not sure If I like it being 3d, it played so well in 2d

Sinister Minister:

jonyboy13:

CdnDemoniac:

You forgot the part where this is your opinion and in no way speaks for everyone. It was awful to you. It works better in 2D to you. I personally enjoyed Worms 3D and thought it worked just fine. I'll concede the digging point because in 3D the camera would only get in the way.

I played Worms 3D and personally loved it--felt like Worms to me. Later I found out they made Worms 4: Mayhem which refined Worms 3D and I was disappointed because I could never find a copy, but if they're mashing 3D and Mayhem together, i'm all for it. Especially if the mentioned reworked camera is truly reworked. It was kind-of a pain to use in things like Airstrikes and Teleports. The 28th can't come fast enough.

He didn't forget a thing, see the bolded part.

OT: Yeah, gotta agree, Worms never really worked for me in 3D, Armageddon is still the best game they've done although Worms World Party had a fantastic run too. I wasn't really hot for Worms: Reloaded either, it was just an unnecessary graphics update (the old Worms still hold up in that regard just fine thanks to the art style) and it's missing a pile of options.

So yeah... would rather if they got on sorting Armageddon/WWP to work on W7 without issues.

I've not thoroughly enjoyed a Worms game as much as I did Worms Armageddon. That game was as flawless as a Worms game could get, having a vast array of weapons, highly customisable options, the ability to import JPG and BMP files for maps, and had a huge amount of game modes.

The closest the series has came to the original magic was the Worms: Reloaded game, and even that had more of a focus on hats and forts, rather than the standard up to 8 vs 8 worms teams.

I've never felt the 3D Worms games have ever been as good as their 2D counterparts, simply because it's much more awkward, thinking of wind and gravity in 3D is a mindbending task and perhaps a little too difficult for me to get into. I ended up solely using the aimable weapons like the Shotgun, simply because they were easy hitscan weapons that, given the 3D FPS view, made aiming with them incredibly easy. Much moreso than the 2D ones where a laser sight was pretty helpful for those long distance shots.

The interface looks exactly the same as W4M, it has about the some level of detail as W4M, Some of those guys were the premade character skins that came with W4M...
So for the now I'm going to assume that this is Worms 4 Mayhem re-released minus the buggy security driver that stopped the game being playable on Windows 7.
And if that's still there...

My opinions here, but..

I'm going to agree with the general consensus here and say that there doesn't seem to be anything fresh here. The only thing I noticed not being in the previous game was the scientist costume for the player's worms, and even that was in the previous game. Frankly, it all looks exactly the same.

Maybe they're trying to hop on the yearly re-release bandwagon like CoD, but it's not working. Even if I hadn't seen the game before, it didn't look all too interesting or fun, honestly. Maybe that's just because I prefer the 2D Worms games, rather than the 3D?

Fascinating how an awesome franchise can be put to a gruesome death by trying to sqeeze every last penny out of it. Also, 1996 called, wants its N64 graphics back.

I liked works 3d but I never really thought it clicked in 3d as it did in 2d

I loved the 3D Worms games. (Except the one where you had to build buildings.)

I have to say though, this game doesn't look at all different from it's predecessors.And that kind of puts me off a bit.

I absolutely loved the 3D worms games, I don't get why they get a lot of flak.

They were great fun.

I can tell that this is just a compilation pack, but for $15 I'll probably get it anyway. I mean, I love Worms.

Now...this could be the 'I've only ever played Armageddon' talking but I think this looks pretty good. Not, 'I'm buying this on day one' good but 'I would buy this and play the hell out of it for a while' good.

This game is just Worms 4 Mayhem. No freaking difference; it's just Worms 4.
I freaking LOVED Worms 4, though. To hell with the naysayers!

Looks pretty bad to be honest.

Worms really should try doing 3D.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or