Serious Sam 3: BFE Review

Pages PREV 1 2

This review is pretty spot on. There is one really awesome multiplayer mode however that is new and different which is BEAST HUNTER. Its kind of a wierd fusion of coop and multiplayer. The goal is to rackup a high score killing as many monsters as you can... the bigger the monster the more points. However you can also kill other players for points. You don't net much points but if you kill the leader that puts him out of the game for a precious 9 seconds so you can steal the good baddies and rack up points in their absense... It was the most fun I had in multiplayer since the original Unreal Tournament.

I highly recommend BEAST HUNTER with at least 3 players. It's part of the "versus" group of games.

idodo35:
this looks like a but load of fun also please please tell me that the music is from the games soundtrack!

Yes it is.

UNKNOWNINCOGNITO:
Can someone please link me to the song that plays in the end of the video supplement ? It's fantastic.

It's the vocal version of Hero from the game's OST.

Looks like the game that Duke Nukem Forever wanted to be.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Please tell me those enemies aren't as common as they are in the review video.

lacktheknack:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Please tell me those enemies aren't as common as they are in the review video.

the beheaded kamikazes?
nah, they're not as common as they were in previous games
but bro, when they come, they come in hordes

like, giant fucking hordes

still, those are by far not the most annoying enemies you'll see, no, that honor go to the Kleer Skeletons*

*in every single game of the franchise

It's the FPS I always wanted... Pure, simple carnage.
Where have you been all my life, Serious Sam...
IT'S ON THE PS3, YES! I'm so gonna try this out.

Char-Nobyl:

I mean, look at him! A man with bulging muscles and a flat-top haircut, wearing a tank top, jeans, and a pair of sunglasses? Fighting aliens with guns blazing, spent casings spilling out of them? That's a word-for-word description of the cover of Duke Nukem 3D.

OMG, you have to see this new game. Duke Nukem 3D, its cover art is a complete copy of Dooms! It's rubbish as it's copying Doom!

Here's proof!

The main character standing on top of a pile of corpses shooting as enemies, stop the presses!

Serious Sam is a homage to older games, what's your point about it's cover that somehow makes it a worse game?

Matthew94:
OMG, you have to see this new game. Duke Nukem 3D, its cover art is a complete copy of Dooms! It's rubbish as it's copying Doom!

Here's proof!

The main character standing on top of a pile of corpses shooting as enemies, stop the presses!

...right, here's the thing: Duke Nukem (the character) is supposed to be an over-the-top caricature of an action hero. Do you recognize these lines?

"Hail to the king, baby."

"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum."

"Go ahead, make my day."

"I'm gonna rip off your head and shit down your neck."

"Yippie ka-yay, motherfucker."

Army of Darkness, They Live, Sudden Impact, Full Metal Jacket, and Die Hard, respectively. Is it really so surprising that they made the cover of the game look intentionally like the cover of Doom when they reference piles of action-titles in the game itself?

Matthew94:
Serious Sam is a homage to older games, what's your point about it's cover that somehow makes it a worse game?

It doesn't affect the quality of the game. It just affects how original it was. Duke Nukem was supposed to be parody from the start. He was every action movie/game trope rolled into one person/game. Even the cover reflected it: it took Doom's iconic cover and replaced the Marine with a heavily-muscled, sunglasses-wearing avatar of testosterone.

From what I understand, Serious Sam's homage-aspects were supposed to be in gameplay, not in premise. It's the difference between doing a straightforward parody of the Friday the 13th movies versus making a movie about a nigh-invincible villain wearing a paintball mask and killing promiscuous teenagers with a Gurkha blade.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here