Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Preview

Pages PREV 1 2

Erana:

BrotherRool:

For the people calling out Smash Brothers clone, this AP thing is a big deal, it almost completely changes the idea of Smash Brothers and I think it's less a clone, just in the way we called Saints Row games GTA clones and League Of Legends DOTA clones.

I dunno, to me it sounds like "Just wait for strategic Final Smash" stuff or whatever. One mechanic these days doesn't make something less of a clone, and I really can't imagine this mechanic really changing things up all that much.
That being said, platform brawler is pretty much a genre on its own at this point, so calls of it being a clone are not really worth worrying about in the first place.

Still, I don't get this choice of characters to announce. This doesn't feel like a taste of an incredible experience, it feels like barrel-scraping. The roster is getting better, but sheesh, would it have killed them to give us a more substantial first bite?

Hell, between the announced characters and the chance to have Simon Belmont fight Optimus Prime and Solid Snake along with the not-yugi kid from Beyblade (for the "why are you here" WTF lolz) I was more interested in another, obscure platform brawler than how I was when looking at the current roster for this game.

Maybe it's been too long since I've played a Super Smash brothers, tbf it's probably roughly 8-10 years, I thought ringing out or the Pokeballs was almost the main way of defeat. If you can't do that then it'd change the whole game strategy. Then again the OP was talking about sniping people so I guess there must have been some sort of heath system.

I still feel that I a lot of the roster was a good reveal, there mistake was to choose Pappa and the Killzone dude and they should have stressed that there was more to come, maybe give us a date when they reveal the next characters, or tell us how many there are going to be. Because whilst it's a bit disappointing now the characters they've chosen are fairly well known and loved and give good hints to the overall style and it's more important for us to get excited about the next announcement than this one, because it's closer.

Just because they didn't stress the wait and see they've got some negative too which they wouldn't have wanted

BrotherRool:

Erana:

BrotherRool:

For the people calling out Smash Brothers clone, this AP thing is a big deal, it almost completely changes the idea of Smash Brothers and I think it's less a clone, just in the way we called Saints Row games GTA clones and League Of Legends DOTA clones.

I dunno, to me it sounds like "Just wait for strategic Final Smash" stuff or whatever. One mechanic these days doesn't make something less of a clone, and I really can't imagine this mechanic really changing things up all that much.
That being said, platform brawler is pretty much a genre on its own at this point, so calls of it being a clone are not really worth worrying about in the first place.

Still, I don't get this choice of characters to announce. This doesn't feel like a taste of an incredible experience, it feels like barrel-scraping. The roster is getting better, but sheesh, would it have killed them to give us a more substantial first bite?

Hell, between the announced characters and the chance to have Simon Belmont fight Optimus Prime and Solid Snake along with the not-yugi kid from Beyblade (for the "why are you here" WTF lolz) I was more interested in another, obscure platform brawler than how I was when looking at the current roster for this game.

Maybe it's been too long since I've played a Super Smash brothers, tbf it's probably roughly 8-10 years, I thought ringing out or the Pokeballs was almost the main way of defeat. If you can't do that then it'd change the whole game strategy. Then again the OP was talking about sniping people so I guess there must have been some sort of heath system.

I still feel that I a lot of the roster was a good reveal, there mistake was to choose Pappa and the Killzone dude and they should have stressed that there was more to come, maybe give us a date when they reveal the next characters, or tell us how many there are going to be. Because whilst it's a bit disappointing now the characters they've chosen are fairly well known and loved and give good hints to the overall style and it's more important for us to get excited about the next announcement than this one, because it's closer.

Just because they didn't stress the wait and see they've got some negative too which they wouldn't have wanted

I take it that with your calling Parappa "Pappa," you didn't grow up with him. I think his inclusion is great- hits the mark with peoples' nostalgia, gives the devs a lot to work with, and brings a level of absurdity that I feel is really needed for crazy crossover games like this that Sackboy and Fat Princess weren't providing on their own. Not to mention his bringing in a different art style and fun music. I bet using Parappa songs in this game will be something so terribly catchy, its like when they used the Donkey Kong 64 song in Smash Bros: you can't tell me that that wasn't a total guilty pleasure.

(Keep in mind when this was made)

Don Savik:
All these nintendo fanboys are making me laugh, oh jeez, my sides, please no more, I beg you..hahahhahaha.....

I've never really understood the idea of calling people "fanboys" - is it anyone who disagrees with your particular product choice or point of view? Judging by the fact that apparently means everyone who had a negative reaction to this is one, that's what it implies!

Smash Bros is fun and all, but whats bad about MORE smash bros? You're acting like this is a bad thing. "Shameless rip off!!" I'm sorry but nintendo doesn't own the rights to coop 2d brawlers. And if copying them is really such a problem, the fps genre wouldn't exist. You honestly think those are the only characters? Those are the only ones REVEALED. Nobody is that stupid to honestly believe they would release 6 characters on a full priced game.

Surely the idea of copying is to bring something new to the table - allowing the genre to evolve? We haven't seen much to indicate that from the information available so far. I don't think it can be denied that the similarities to SSB are striking, and I can understand why people would be apprehensive about this game just being an inferior SSB clone.

Personally I'm hoping that this game is good, as competition is always a positive thing, but I'd be lying if I said that I could get at all excited about this release on the information given out so far. It looks okay and nothing more.

"the roster sucks!!" I guess if the ONLY games you enjoy are nintendo games I can see why you would be upset, but honestly, Mario and friends are getting a bit boring. And you talk about them scraping for characters? Ice Climbers and Pit? Mr.Game and Watch? The only reason people still know about those are Smash Brothers.

No, seriously, the roster sucks - although it looks like they've made good fighting game characters from it. The Playstation has had some great iconic characters (particularly from the PS1 era) which are noticeably absent here - where the hell is Spyro for instance? Where's Crash? I'm sure there's more characters to come, but for first screenshots you show your second best characters - wow the audience but leave the very best as a surprise. I bloody well hope they've just fluffed the marketing and that this isn't near the top of the barrel.

Incidentally, I don't think that your points about SSB characters hold at all. Mr Game & Watch and R.O.B. are like joke unlockable characters - like Panda in Tekken 3. Pit had a smallish but loyal nostalgic fanbase and the creator of SSB went on to work on the new Kid Icarus game immediately after Brawl suggesting that, like the Fire Emblem characters, Pit was partially a marketing ploy.

Ice Climbers were an odd inclusion but given there were far more obvious inclusions in Brawl, it suggests they wanted an unusual gameplay mechanic to mix things up, rather than that they were actually scraping the bottom of the barrel!

I guess it's a decent idea... but the characters aren't really all that powerful. They don't seem to fun to use. Also, I don't see spyro on here. That's a problem. Spyro is a boss.

But if they splurged their load with all the top tier name brand characters being revealed straight away wouldn't that ruin the joy of discovering that they've included them?

Maybe the whole point of what's revealed so far is setting expectation phasers to 'disappointment/unimpressed' to knock people out of the water when more details are revealed?(In a kind of round up all the nay sayers and take 'em out in one tactic)

I dunno. I love the fun brawler genre but no game so far has scratched that particular itch since the SSB series (then again, I only know viewtiful joe SSB and some digimon brawler).

And frankly, I understand the doubts people have because so far everything SCREAMS "bad SSB clone"

Still, given the benefit of doubt that this might be a fun and well-designed game, I can't see it do very well. Say what you want about Nintendo and their bad habit of abusing their IPs but thanks to that, Smash Bros. had a roster of colourful characters that attracted people. As Yathzee put it "Watching Mario beat the stupid out of Princess Peach while the audience screams for blood is oddly satisfying".

Why bother trying to squeeze something out of the nostalgia dollar if people don't give a shit about these characters in the first place? Why not design a great brawler from ground up with creative and fun characters? (don't bother answering, these questions are rhethorical and the cynic in me knows the answer)

Zero Serenity:
A whole six characters? Even the original Smash Bros had 12. I think we're too soon to call this game a good idea.

Full roster is being gradually revealed, next one is revealed in 30 days.
http://playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com/

Definitely having trouble getting interested in this. I'm not a big Play Station fan. With Nintendo's Super Smash Bros., I actually know and like almost 100% of the roster. Here, I only see Kratos as appealing.

No Cloud = no fun.

we need ratchet,Nathan Drake,Hale,Cole,Jak in this game

maybe characters like solid snake or raiden could unlockable(maybe ezio,tekken characters,spyro,crash,final fantasy)

I have no idea who half of these people are.

You can't really say that Nintendo have much originality left in them when they drag out the same old characters over and over again.

Nintendo Game Design Board Exec1; We need to come up with a new game...any ideas?
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec2; How about Legend of Zelda 93?
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec1; Nah, we released 8 Zelda games last year.
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec2; What about Super Mario Ultimate Sunshine World 17?
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec1; Good idea, but we released a Mario game last week.
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec2; I know! How about another Kirby game?
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec1; That's an amazingly original idea! Lets do it!

Anyway, a bonus of Nintendo's inability to create new intellectual property and insistence on reusing the same characters 9000 times they managed to make their characters very well known.
Everyone knows Pikachu. Everyone knows Mario. Even people who have never played a Mario game in their life still knows him.

The opposite can be said for Sony. Who the hell is Fat Princess?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here