Batman Arkham Origins Hands-on Preview

Pages PREV 1 2

I liked City so I'll most likely get this one too.
Never bad to play as batman right?

Ultratwinkie:

FFP2:
Wait, won't blowing up enemies with explosive barrels go against Batman's "no kill" rule?

Well the thugs would be dead from stuff Batman normally does.

It takes comic book rule of "blunt force trauma doesn't kill, only guns can"

Which is why Batman doesn't die when Superman uses his super strength to punch his face in some of the "superman goes rogue" arcs. It is also the same reason why Batman doesn't get any teeth knocked out no matter how hard he is hit.

Actually he does loose teeth, we just don't see them missing from one scene to the next, I believe he has some sort of bat-teeth-builder implanted o.o
Anyway, I thought the same thing when I read the article, about the non-kill approach, however, I did play a Conan game where the classic Cimmerian used magic (!!!), and the game was awesome nonetheless (awful graphics though), so I can take Bats killing people or "not killing" (by blowing them up...) any day as long as I get to taste more of the usual bat fun :)
ANNNND it seems we will get to track down Deadshot's shot! AGAIN... hahah

I like the suit design (though it doesn't make that much sense in context) but I hate the chunky, stubby Gears of War-ish proportions they gave him.

Also I'm slightly annoyed that they're shunning any kind of gameplay footage in favour of pre-rendered sequences that play-out like the typical daydreamt movie scene arrangement within the mind of any Batman fan. Why show me thoughtless, context/subtext-free action when the thing I'm fundamentally interested in seeing is if you can make a game that lives up to the ones by Rocksteady?

chozo_hybrid:

Question if you don't mind? I was a bit disappointed to see a hands on article and then the video was nothing but cut scene (Not your fault I'm sure), obviously you weren't given any material for the game play to show or something, why is that when you can show work to back up "This is a good game!" why wouldn't they let you guys do that?

So the kind of footage you're referring to is "direct feed," and it's not always allowed. Sometimes it's because the build we're playing isn't quite finished, and the devs simply don't want footage of wonky Batman ending up on YouTube as "proof" that the game sucks. Sometimes it's simple PR - they want to reveal gameplay footage on their marketing schedule, not our deadline.

Just jumping in to complain that what the fuck, so many loose plot threads at the end of City, c'mon guys stop being pricks.

Okay I'm done.

Susan Arendt:

chozo_hybrid:

Question if you don't mind? I was a bit disappointed to see a hands on article and then the video was nothing but cut scene (Not your fault I'm sure), obviously you weren't given any material for the game play to show or something, why is that when you can show work to back up "This is a good game!" why wouldn't they let you guys do that?

So the kind of footage you're referring to is "direct feed," and it's not always allowed. Sometimes it's because the build we're playing isn't quite finished, and the devs simply don't want footage of wonky Batman ending up on YouTube as "proof" that the game sucks. Sometimes it's simple PR - they want to reveal gameplay footage on their marketing schedule, not our deadline.

Thanks for getting back to me :D That all makes sense, not sure why I didn't think of all that, when I saw the term "hands on" I thought it might mean we will see some game play, that said, this video and the write up were good though. I'm really looking forward to this one, hence why I really want to see it.

hazabaza1:
Just jumping in to complain that what the fuck, so many loose plot threads at the end of City, c'mon guys stop being pricks.

Okay I'm done.

Different devs are doing this one, that said, yeah, would be cool to see what happened about a few of the other plot lines that were left unresolved.

chozo_hybrid:

Susan Arendt:

chozo_hybrid:

Thanks for getting back to me :D That all makes sense, not sure why I didn't think of all that, when I saw the term "hands on" I thought it might mean we will see some game play, that said, this video and the write up were good though. I'm really looking forward to this one, hence why I really want to see it.

hazabaza1:

Okay I'm done.

Different devs are doing this one, that said, yeah, would be cool to see what happened about a few of the other plot lines that were left unresolved.

"Hands on" is just to differentiate from hands off - if I actually get to play the thing, I know what's happening is 100% legit. If it's a presentation, I have no clue how much is real and how much is theater. So it's handy (no pun intended) information for the reader to help them know how much salt to take with descriptions.

Any more info on how the fighting feels? Like was said on here in the review of the original Arkham Asylum, it's one of the only games where I see a room of 10+ bad guys ahead of me and think, "Yes!" Arkham City continued that (so much so that I tend to think the fighting challenges are actually more fun than the game itself), so I want to know if this is able to give the same type of thing as the Rocksteady games.

Susan Arendt:
Snip.

Okay then, I will remember that from now on, thanks for clearing all this up for me. This is why I like coming here, the people running this place are awesome.

Arkham Origins looks like it will be very good. I am a bit depressed that Kevin Conroy won't be voicing Bruce Wayne/Batman but I have faith in Roger Craig Smith. He is a pretty good voice actor. I am happy to see Troy baker is voicing The Joker. I would have liked John DiMaggio to to since he was great in Under The Red Hood but Troy Baker is excellent too.

Over all though it looks like a pretty good game. I can't wait to play it.

Bat Vader:
Arkham Origins looks like it will be very good. I am a bit depressed that Kevin Conroy won't be voicing Bruce Wayne/Batman but I have faith in Roger Craig Smith. He is a pretty good voice actor. I am happy to see Troy baker is voicing The Joker. I would have liked John DiMaggio to to since he was great in Under The Red Hood but Troy Baker is excellent too.

Personally, Dave Wittenberg would have been my choice as a replacement for Mark Hamill.

immortalfrieza:

Bat Vader:

Personally, Dave Wittenberg would have been my choice as a replacement for Mark Hamill.

He would have Batman pretty well. When he has to get angry or serious for a scene he does it pretty well.

Bat Vader:

immortalfrieza:

Bat Vader:

He would have Batman pretty well. When he has to get angry or serious for a scene he does it pretty well.

He did Kefka in Dissidia, that's what I meant.

immortalfrieza:

Bat Vader:

immortalfrieza:

I never played Dissidia. I heard it was good though.

Has it been officially said how far in the past Arkahm Origins is? Everyone looks a lot younger so I want to assume about 10 years but at the same time I feel that may be too long as well.

Bat Vader:

immortalfrieza:

Bat Vader:

I never played Dissidia. I heard it was good though.

Has it been officially said how far in the past Arkahm Origins is? Everyone looks a lot younger so I want to assume about 10 years but at the same time I feel that may be too long as well.

Here's a compilation video filled with some of Kefka's best moments to give you an idea:

As for how far back, I think what's shown in this article is about as much as is known at this point. Judging by the name though, it's probably about the beginning of his career.

I really need to play all the batman titles -.-'

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or