Escape to the Movies: Carrie

Pages PREV 1 2

Darth_Payn:
You know what's weird? On the poster, Julianne Moore looks like Jodie Foster. What gives?

Spaceman Spiff:
She totally does. And it's not even just a vague resemblance, she looks exactly like Jody Foster.

I agree completely, it's strange and confusing. I thought it was before watching the review. I even looked up on IMDB in case that was another supporting role or change etc.

EDIT: Wait, that is, at least according to poster through a quick Google search. Last minute change, proof of concept?

I didn't even know there was a Carrie remake before now.

When it comes to Stephen King, I don't find that flashier is better. That's exactly why I'm avoiding this remake that was sure to have about 30 something minutes of Carrie terrorizing the town past the point of it being a believable burst of adolescent psychotic rage. I imagine all those special effects and flashy explosions made the whole thing more dull than it was intended to be.

So basically, for Halloween '13, stay home and watch awesome tried-and-true horror-flicks rather than subject myself to bland pseudo-entertainment I'd have to pay for? Sounds alright.

Sheo_Dagana:
When it comes to Stephen King, I don't find that flashier is better.

It's not just Stephen King. Horror shouldn't be flashy at all. It takes away from the atmosphere. That's one of the most important things in a horror movie. Special effects in horror movies should never use advanced audio/visual enhancements. Just basic stuff. It's creepier that way.

Stabby Joe:

Darth_Payn:
You know what's weird? On the poster, Julianne Moore looks like Jodie Foster. What gives?

Spaceman Spiff:
She totally does. And it's not even just a vague resemblance, she looks exactly like Jody Foster.

I agree completely, it's strange and confusing. I thought it was before watching the review. I even looked up on IMDB in case that was another supporting role or change etc.

EDIT: Wait, that is, at least according to poster through a quick Google search. Last minute change, proof of concept?

Must...avoid...obvious...Hannibal...joke...

I dunno what is worse; the fact that the Carrie remake did jack squat to separate it from the original or that we're getting jack squat in regards to horror movies for October. -_- Might as well plum the depths of my DVD horror collection since Hollywood can't get it's shit together for October unless its a franchise worth milking to death (Saw and Paranormal Activity for example).

Also, very tragic that Bay got his ass kicked. Where do I send the flowers? Or should I offer the two men something better like a six pack of beer?

Spaceman Spiff:

Darth_Payn:

On topic- Bob just confirmed what I had predicted for this movie. There was no way that a reboot was going to live up to such a good movie.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean I had to watch it twice and then look it up.

On topic. I didn't expect much.. I would have liked them to turn it more into the "origin" story I heard it may be. Kind of a super hero in the making but not exactly good.

Also is it kind of weird that I was listening to Mindset Evolution - Burn it Down while reading these.. haha.. not even planned.

Whytewulf:
I was thinking the same thing. I mean I had to watch it twice and then look it up.

On topic. I didn't expect much.. I would have liked them to turn it more into the "origin" story I heard it may be. Kind of a super hero in the making but not exactly good.

Also is it kind of weird that I was listening to Mindset Evolution - Burn it Down while reading these.. haha.. not even planned.

Stabby Joe:

That's because it is Jodie Foster in the poster. I thought it was strange too, but I paused the video and the poster says clear as day that it's her starring. Why? Hell if I know.

Hey, something very good did come out of this movie, after all. This:

Yeah we deserve a new paranormal Activity for this October right?

And then no one was surprised when a remake was "meh". Seriously I know that the odd one comes along and is just as good and sometimes even better than the original, but come on. There are better chances of the Republicans actually agreeing with the Democrats in Congress than that happening on a regular basis.

In Carrie Travolta kills a pig. You...you just can't have Carrie without Travolta killing a pig. Insta-fail remake.

rees263:
That's because it is Jodie Foster in the poster. I thought it was strange too, but I paused the video and the poster says clear as day that it's her starring. Why? Hell if I know.

The poster is not an official poster. It was taken from Deviantart http://themadbutcher.deviantart.com/art/Carrie-2013-Theatrical-Poster-299875179

The guy who made the poster
"Also, I know Julianne Moore is rumored to be cast as Margaret White, but I feel Jodie Foster would be better for the part...or maybe it's because I'm a fan of her past work."

I'm surprised they didn't realize the mistake before posting it here...

I donno to be honest, I'm still looking forward to this. I don't think movie bob is wrong and I'm glad I saw the review before seeing this. I like Chloƫ Grace Moretz and she may not fit but I'm interested to see her challenge the roll. She's definitely one of the best actresses in her age group IMO.

Ignatz_Zwakh:
So basically, for Halloween '13, stay home and watch awesome tried-and-true horror-flicks rather than subject myself to bland pseudo-entertainment I'd have to pay for? Sounds alright.

Other than leaving out the part about with a bowl of candy, yep you nailed it.

So it's the usual remake of a classic horror film in that it follows the original too closely instead of striking out to be it's own thing

I haven't seen the original Carrie because I'm useless. I also really like Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore, so in theory if I watch the re-make first, THEN go back and watch the original I should be able to enjoy both, because the first one won't be so bad and the second one will be better! Win.

As a somewhat hardcore Stephen King fan (I haven't yet tackled the entire Dark Tower, but grew up reading all of the other books), I will continue passing on films that are not directed by either Frank Darabont or Rob Reiner. Even in King's own hands, the stories and characters he's created simply fall flat and lose most of their quality when transferred onto the big or small screen. Maybe some of his later, more-cartoonish stories (i.e. Under the Dome) would work better (I haven't seen the TV version of that either), but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the stronger stories from the first few decades of his career.

I've not seen the first Carrie film, but I can't imagine that any movie could do the book justice. A lot of what makes the novel work is King's interesting presentation of the story - a sort of scrap-book approach that incorporates newspaper clippings, excerpts from books, transcripts of interview footage with the Sue character, etc... (I might be mistaken...haven't read it in a while). Despite the fact that some of that could definitely translate well on-screen, the whole of it would require the movie to be a lot less slam-bang than modern studios (and audiences) are willing to tolerate.

So, yeah, I'll not be seeing this one. Perhaps I'll read the book again instead. It's short enough to tackle in one afternoon and well worth revisiting once every few years, along with those dark and messed-up Richard Bachman books he wrote around the same part of his career (i.e. Rage, the horrid step-sibling to Carrie that King pulled from shelves after the rash of school-shootings in the 1990s; not a bad book at all).

bartholen:

cefm:
SNIP

Sissy Spacek wasn't a swamp witch either. Just look up some pictures from her early career, she's a fine looking lady. The problem here, as Bob mentioned, is the direction. And it has to be the direction, because Grace-Moretz was just in Kick-Ass 2 where she played for most of the movie a high school reject, and she did it really well. The devil's in the details like make-up, mannerisms and body language.

I agree that Sissy Spacek was/is good-looking, but it's more of an Uma Thurman, non-standard type of pretty, rather than Chloe Moretz's standard, symmetrical/perfect Hollywood beauty. When a novel's protagonist is described as "frog-like" in appearance...yeah, Moretz isn't your girl for the movie adaptation, no matter how talented she might be.

I think my Halloween movie experience this season will be watching the 9 Puppet Masters on this Puppet Master DVD set I got for 5 bucks at Best Buy.

Thanks MovieBob. Thanks Schlocktober.

So i take it Jodie Foster was originally cast as the crazy mother?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here