Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Worst Controllers

Pages PREV 1 2

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey....I saw through your Classic Game Room footage and AVGN stuff.
But this list I think was read backward, that Saturn Controller was very usable, the Atari 5200 controller, as she stated was difficult to keep working, I think anything working has a leg up on that.
Besides, I'm pretty sure the top 5 worst controllers can be summed up with any joystick controller you hooked up to those miniPCs in Europe, infact here.

Here's the worst controllers ever made, ever. Seriously there's controllers in this list that would make your eyes bleed and hands cramp just thinking about using one.

Snotnarok:
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey....I saw through your Classic Game Room footage and AVGN stuff.
But this list I think was read backward, that Saturn Controller was very usable, the Atari 5200 controller, as she stated was difficult to keep working, I think anything working has a leg up on that.
Besides, I'm pretty sure the top 5 worst controllers can be summed up with any joystick controller you hooked up to those miniPCs in Europe, infact here.

Here's the worst controllers ever made, ever. Seriously there's controllers in this list that would make your eyes bleed and hands cramp just thinking about using one.

HA! At the twenty-minute mark, look at the transparent monstrosity with the red joystick and buttons. That's my stiff one. (Oo-er, missus!) My first ever joystick for the good ol' Commodore 64, right there. I had no idea anybody even knew that existed nowadays!

That's a nice bit of nostalgia.

TheMadDoctorsCat:
Gawd I feel like the resident guy who has to rain on everybody else's parade right now. First my attack on "Sim City 3000" and now this.

My choice for the worst controller that I've personally used, would be...

The X-Box 360 Controller for Windows.

Yeah, I'm perfectly serious. Here's why it beats out the C64 "stiff" joystick (and how anybody even asked the shop assistant for that one without bursting into laughter, I'll never know.) It was the one with the giant stiff shaft with the big red sphere at the top, and the two big red round things at the base. Honestly it would've been hilarious if it wasn't so painful to use.

Anyway, moving on... the X-Box 360 Controller for Windows.

First a bit of history though: the last X-Box I actually played on was the original X-Box from I don't even know how long ago. It was very, very odd to someone who was used to a Sega Megadrive (Genesis for you Americans out there) controller, but I mostly liked it. With the exception of the rumblepack of course - thankfully you can turn this off, although it still seems to weigh half a tonne when you're holding it - it felt comfortable enough.

So since I quite liked the original X-Box controller, why do I think the 360's is so bad?

Well, mostly for subjective reasons - and I wouldn't say it was the worst because of that alone. I don't think I ever quite "got" how you're supposed to hold it. Apparently you're supposed to use the thumb on the analogue sticks (I'd never used an analogue stick on anything before then, which probably didn't help) and your fingers on the "shoulder buttons". And with fingers and thumb occupied - how are you supposed to actually HOLD the thing? Just press your palms on the side of it until you get wrist strain? That seemed to be the only practical way.

But as I said, me not "getting" the controller is hardly grounds to say it's the worst of the lot. No, why I make that particular claim is simple: Every Windows game that I have uses it. And ONLY it.

Bioshock: will only use X-Box 360 controller for Windows.
Bastion: will only use X-Box 360 controller for Windows.

And many, many other games that I have in my Steam library have the same problem. Of course, it might be that you can "spoof" the controller with another one that's "compatible", but trying to google this just brings up a list of games that are "compatible with" the X-Box 360 Controller for Windows. Yeah... that's not what I'm after, guys.

See if you don't like the C64's stiff stick, which nobody on earth ever did, you could always swap it out for a Sega Master System controller. (This was my first ever "hack", by the way.) Can't do that with the 360 controller for Windows. Now I'm hoping somebody is going to come along and say "You're an idiot! You can always use controller X and it'll work just fine with all of those games!" And I will thank them because finally, FINALLY, I will have some way to play these games that were clearly designed with a controller in mind rather than a keyboard and mouse, the way they were meant to be played.

(Oh, and one without a rumblepack would be nice as well. I know there are other controllers out there, I'm just not sure what you can actually USE them for. What games do they work with?)

Ok, so, I just spent the past ten minutes staring at my 360 controller, wondering how you can hold it wrong. Unless you had literally all your fingers on the triggers (even then, I can hold it fine, odd but fine.) You just let it lay on your fingers with your index fingers on the triggers, wrapping your hands around it. It's about as ergonomic as you can get, and weighs basically nothing.

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Well, mostly for subjective reasons - and I wouldn't say it was the worst because of that alone. I don't think I ever quite "got" how you're supposed to hold it. Apparently you're supposed to use the thumb on the analogue sticks (I'd never used an analogue stick on anything before then, which probably didn't help) and your fingers on the "shoulder buttons". And with fingers and thumb occupied - how are you supposed to actually HOLD the thing? Just press your palms on the side of it until you get wrist strain? That seemed to be the only practical way.

Well damn, the problem here is quite obvious.

You use your thumbs to work all the sticks and buttons on the face of the controller put one finger on each of the triggers and use your six other fingers to support the controller.

Unless your hands are actually some sort of claws it should work out perfectly.

Imp Emissary:

Evil Smurf:
The funniest episode yet Lisa :D

I'm glad no N64 hate happened.

<_<

Good use of the effects this episode Lisa!
:D Very effective. =w= b

You disappoint me young bastard, this is how you do it:

Evil Smurf:
The funniest episode yet Lisa :D

It's too fucking terrible to even be shown that's why.

OT: My personal elast favourite controller is the Wii Pro Controller because it lacks clickable sticks and I found it rather stupid as a consequence, it also felt nasty. Or the Master System gamepad, which is just awful. On the whole I've mostly only used good controllers.

Does James Rolfe know that you are using clips from his AVGN show?

Hey why didn't she mention mouse and keyboard?

runs like hell

I was actually surprised by the seemingly-unwieldly and humongous Sega Saturn controller. And it was exactly what you needed for a game like Nights.

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Snotnarok:

HA! At the twenty-minute mark, look at the transparent monstrosity with the red joystick and buttons. That's my stiff one. (Oo-er, missus!) My first ever joystick for the good ol' Commodore 64, right there. I had no idea anybody even knew that existed nowadays!

That's a nice bit of nostalgia.

Ashens is pretty good at that, glad I hit that nostalgia cord for ya haha.

They all seemed pretty bad, but how come the Wii didn't make it on there? Surely it'd be in the top 10 wouldn't it?

Hey you used AVGN footage. awesome.

Though a little comment about "why does it had to be so large". Because electronics. Electronics got smaller really quick, and back then that wasnt quick enough. Computers were barely coming down from full room size to something that fits on your desk. The electronics werent small enough to make the controllers small enough yet. Now they have the luxiry of small chip controlling everything and making it any size they want, back then the shape of controller was dictated by the chip you needed to control the thing.
Also why hate for keypads?

Fulbert:
Hey why didn't she mention mouse and keyboard?

runs like hell

Because neither mouse nor keyboard is a "controller"?

Eldritch Warlord:
You use your thumbs to work all the sticks and buttons on the face of the controller put one finger on each of the triggers and use your six other fingers to support the controller.

That sounds painful.

Eldritch Warlord:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Well damn, the problem here is quite obvious.

Unless your hands are actually some sort of claws it should work out perfectly.

I'm sure I must've tried that at some point... Anyway, I just didn't like it. Which, as I said, is NOT a reason to name it the "worst ever". The fact that there's no ALTERNATIVE to it, is.

Elate:

TheMadDoctorsCat:
Gawd I feel like the resident guy who has to rain on everybody else's parade right now. First my attack on "Sim City 3000" and now this.

My choice for the worst controller that I've personally used, would be...

The X-Box 360 Controller for Windows.

Yeah, I'm perfectly serious. Here's why it beats out the C64 "stiff" joystick (and how anybody even asked the shop assistant for that one without bursting into laughter, I'll never know.) It was the one with the giant stiff shaft with the big red sphere at the top, and the two big red round things at the base. Honestly it would've been hilarious if it wasn't so painful to use.

Anyway, moving on... the X-Box 360 Controller for Windows.

First a bit of history though: the last X-Box I actually played on was the original X-Box from I don't even know how long ago. It was very, very odd to someone who was used to a Sega Megadrive (Genesis for you Americans out there) controller, but I mostly liked it. With the exception of the rumblepack of course - thankfully you can turn this off, although it still seems to weigh half a tonne when you're holding it - it felt comfortable enough.

So since I quite liked the original X-Box controller, why do I think the 360's is so bad?

But as I said, me not "getting" the controller is hardly grounds to say it's the worst of the lot. No, why I make that particular claim is simple: Every Windows game that I have uses it. And ONLY it.

Bioshock: will only use X-Box 360 controller for Windows.
Bastion: will only use X-Box 360 controller for Windows.

And many, many other games that I have in my Steam library have the same problem. Of course, it might be that you can "spoof" the controller with another one that's "compatible", but trying to google this just brings up a list of games that are "compatible with" the X-Box 360 Controller for Windows. Yeah... that's not what I'm after, guys.

See if you don't like the C64's stiff stick, which nobody on earth ever did, you could always swap it out for a Sega Master System controller. (This was my first ever "hack", by the way.) Can't do that with the 360 controller for Windows. Now I'm hoping somebody is going to come along and say "You're an idiot! You can always use controller X and it'll work just fine with all of those games!" And I will thank them because finally, FINALLY, I will have some way to play these games that were clearly designed with a controller in mind rather than a keyboard and mouse, the way they were meant to be played.

(Oh, and one without a rumblepack would be nice as well. I know there are other controllers out there, I'm just not sure what you can actually USE them for. What games do they work with?)

Ok, so, I just spent the past ten minutes staring at my 360 controller, wondering how you can hold it wrong. Unless you had literally all your fingers on the triggers (even then, I can hold it fine, odd but fine.) You just let it lay on your fingers with your index fingers on the triggers, wrapping your hands around it. It's about as ergonomic as you can get, and weighs basically nothing.

Did you have a version without the rumblepack included then? I didn't even realise that they made them, not that I've checked because I disliked the feel of the thing so much... Anyway the version with the rumblepack weighs a freakin' ton, or feels like it. It's WAY too heavy for me.

And same point that I made to the Eldrich: my problem with it isn't that I didn't like it, which is mostly a subjective point anyway. My problem is there's no alternative to it. Can you name an alternative? Because I'd absolutely buy it if so.

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Did you have a version without the rumblepack included then? I didn't even realise that they made them, not that I've checked because I disliked the feel of the thing so much... Anyway the version with the rumblepack weighs a freakin' ton, or feels like it. It's WAY too heavy for me.

And same point that I made to the Eldrich: my problem with it isn't that I didn't like it, which is mostly a subjective point anyway. My problem is there's no alternative to it. Can you name an alternative? Because I'd absolutely buy it if so.

Yeah mine is rumblepackless, why would you need a rumblepack on anyway, they have inbuilt vibration. I use the old wired 360 controller, I think it is.

Yes, I can name an alternative, literally any USB controller + xpadder. I had that setup so that I could play (with a mod) guildwars 2 with a controller, albeit my xbox controller. I hear logitech makes a few good alternatives.

Elate:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Yeah mine is rumblepackless, why would you need a rumblepack on anyway, they have inbuilt vibration. I use the old wired 360 controller, I think it is.

Yes, I can name an alternative, literally any USB controller + xpadder. I had that setup so that I could play (with a mod) guildwars 2 with a controller, albeit my xbox controller. I hear logitech makes a few good alternatives.

Yea xpadder is awesome. You can even get old snes controllers working on pc using it.
I use the razor sabertooth for pc gaming its a pretty slick piece of kit :D

Ehhhhhhh...I've played with a good portion of these, and...I mean, they're not great, but the top one...well, it worked? The number two listing was not even bad. What was the criteria for this list? People have mentioned the backwards sorting already, but to me, it seems like a list someone would make if they were running low on time, lacked knowledge and/or experience on the items at hand and simply watched a few videos from popular reviewers (James Rolfe, the Angry Video Game Nerd and Mark Bussler of Classic Game Room), then used those videos to prove a point said videos already proved quite handily.

The one original entry on here is something a lot of people consider a really damn good controller. I have heard nothing but praise for the 3D Pad. I get the feeling someone didn't own games that were compatible for it (e.g. NiGHTS into Dreams... and games released after it). Even then, it's no worse than a DC controller in terms of placement. Hell, the Classic Game Room review you used footage of called it an excellent controller. How did this controller get on the list?

That said, you are decently humorous, and that kept me watching until the end, but if I may? Please use more original footage. If I wanted to watch AVGN or CGR, I would watch them. I came to watch a video you created. I would have enjoyed it much more if you were talking about the controllers while actually having and using the controllers, and showing everything wrong with it.

EVERYTHING she said here has already been said by the Angry Video Game Nerd.

My favorite controller has to be the Xbox 360 and the Gamecube. They're just plain...controllers. Buttons on right thumb. Stick on left thumb. Easy. Runner up is the Wii Classical Controller.

RevRaptor:

Elate:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Yea xpadder is awesome. You can even get old snes controllers working on pc using it.
I use the razor sabertooth for pc gaming its a pretty slick piece of kit :D

Now THAT'S what I'm after. Thanks guys!

How about the nintendo ds? that's a pretty bad controller right there

Wow, I never though I would agree with someone's, anyone's list as much as this one.
Well I don't hate the old Original Xbox 360 controllers because I got like HUGE HANDS. But I agree with your points for the old Duke controller.
But when Lisa mentioned how awful the Atari 5200 controller was my response was "marry me Lisa".

Evil Smurf:

I find the N64 controller a touchy subject. People who's introduction to gaming was the N64 love it, people who started with the Atari 2600 or NES hated it. I myself never figured out how to properly wield the N64 controller.
I feel like I should have a 3rd arm to use the controller.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here