How Do Xenomorphs See in the Alien Movies?

A Xenomorph from Alien: Covenant with googly eyes on its head.

Xenomorphs are one of cinema’s deadliest species, terrifying and effective both solo and in numbers. But there’s something they lack that many other movie monsters have: eyes. So, if you’re wondering how Xenomorphs see in the Alien movies, here’s what you need to know.

Recommended Videos

How Do Xenomorphs See in the Alien Movies?

The answer is that Aliens, or Xenomorphs, “see” using a combination of abilities, which include detecting pheromones, sensing vibrations, and the electrical impulses of the human body. That’s the unofficial answer, at least. The truth is that there’s no 100% canon explanation for how they see. They do have some kind of sensory organ behind their domes, but they’re not eyes.

Between the many Alien movies and other material (comics, RPGs, and the like), we can assume that Xenomorphs don’t exclusively rely on some kind of echolocation. Unlike A Quiet Place‘s creatures, who operate exclusively on detecting sound, Xenomorphs can and will attack prey that they “see.” The movies see them descending on humans who are all but immobile, suggesting something else is going on.

Here are some of the suggested means by which Xenomorphs sense their prey:

• Enhanced hearing
  • Enhanced smell
  • Echolocation
  • Sensing changes in air pressure
  • Detecting and using pheromones
  • Sensing the electrical impulses in the human body

The Alien vs. Predator games, as well as other non-movie material, do suggest that pheromones are involved. As the Alien, you can see an outline around your prey. And, in Alien 3, the creature backed off from attacking Ripley because it knew she was carrying a chestburster. That deduction wouldn’t have been possible with just conventional sight.

Related: When Does Alien: Romulus Take Place on the Alien Timeline?

The official Aliens novelization has Ash theorizing that the Xenomorph uses multiple abilities in place of sight, while Ripley is the one who theorizes it detects the electrical fields in humans and other animals. Meanwhile, the Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual suggests that it senses equally well in all directions.

Variations in air pressure are another explanation that’s been brought up for the creatures’ “sight.” True, Aliens: Resurrection does have a Xenomorph back off when Brad Dourif’s character goes for the punishment button, but that doesn’t mean it sees the button – perhaps it’s just that it senses and recognizes the movement.

An image of an Alien, designed by HR Giger. It has a long head, protrusions on its back and black circles for eyes.  This image is part of an article about how do Xenomorphs see in the Alien movies.

Swiss artist H.R. Giger was responsible for the Alien’s design, and one of his earlier pictures did give the creature eyes, but that was changed in favor of the eyeless design.

Ultimately, there’s no single canon explanation within the movies as to how the Aliens see. And outside the movies, canon is so fuzzy that any explanation given is sometimes the writer’s take rather than the official one. But it’s probably better to leave it a mystery. Explaining the Alien too much takes away from its mystery, as anyone who’s watched Alien: Covenant will tell you.

And that’s what you need to know about how Xenomorphs see in the Alien movies

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article X-Men ’97: Who Is Madelyne Pryor, AKA Goblin Queen?
Madelyne Pryor/Goblin Queen in X-Men '97, Season 1, Episode 3, "Fire Made Flesh"
Read Article Doctor Who Season 1/Series 14: Who Does Jinkx Monsoon Play?
Jinkx Monsoon as an unnamed villainous character in Doctor Who Season 1/Series 14
Read Article Is Darth Sidious in Star Wars: The Acolyte?
Darth Sidious in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Mae in The Acolyte
Related Content
Read Article X-Men ’97: Who Is Madelyne Pryor, AKA Goblin Queen?
Madelyne Pryor/Goblin Queen in X-Men '97, Season 1, Episode 3, "Fire Made Flesh"
Read Article Doctor Who Season 1/Series 14: Who Does Jinkx Monsoon Play?
Jinkx Monsoon as an unnamed villainous character in Doctor Who Season 1/Series 14
Read Article Is Darth Sidious in Star Wars: The Acolyte?
Darth Sidious in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith and Mae in The Acolyte
Author
Chris McMullen
Freelance contributor at The Escapist. I've returned to writing about games after a couple of career changes, with my recent stint lasting five-plus years. I hope, through my writing work, to settle the karmic debt I incurred by persuading my parents to buy a Mega CD. Aside from writing for The Escapist, I also cover news and more for GameSpew. I've also been published at other sites including VG247, Space, and more. My tastes run to horror, the post-apocalyptic, and beyond, though I'll tackle most things that aren't exclusively sports-based.