Zero Punctuation: Survival Special (Rust, Starbound, 7 Days to Die)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Why are you doing this to early access titles? You're giving them the same once over you use on finished titles, you even acknowledged that they were unfinished but then essentially ripped into a Beta product as if it was the final release. I'm not saying you should have taken it easy I'm saying you shouldn't have bothered doing these titles.

Also with regards to Starbound, the reason its so similar to Terraria is because half the design team of Terraria is making it as the spiritual successor. And yes the UFO is a bugger (or at least used to be pre-patch 1) but that's because you're meant to fill your spaceship full of coal (FTL travel, only possible with fossil fuels) and explore the sector first.

GuiltBlade:
Why are you doing this to early access titles? You're giving them the same once over you use on finished titles, you even acknowledged that they were unfinished but then essentially ripped into a Beta product as if it was the final release. I'm not saying you should have taken it easy I'm saying you shouldn't have bothered doing these titles.

In a way it makes more sense to do these games than others. Yahtzee has said he thinks of himself as QA for the games industry, pointing out every tiny defect in a game. Only he usually does the QA after the retail release is out the door and it's basically too late. In the case of early access games, his criticism has a chance of actually improving the game. A slight chance, granted, but a chance.

Earthfield:
The Rust review made me laugh. The game talks more about the people who plays it than the game itself.

I get the same impression fro the recent Critical Miss strips. I wonder if Yahtzee's been playing against those guys.
And Escapist, please do something about these video ads embedded in the pages. They screw with the typing and the sound comes out of nowhere.

This is hilarious, because just today I saw one of my Korean students playing Terreria on his phone. I asked him what it was about and he showed me some of the game play and my first thought was "Huh. They made a Minecraft side-scroller". Then my second thought was "Hey, we're on class time!" and I told him to put his phone away before I threw it out the window.

Korean kids are mental about Minecraft for some reason so it makes sense that this one is now gaining in popularity here, I guess.

EDIT: Whoops! Turns out Terreria isn't new and isn't even being reviewed. Oh well, it's new to me. I guess things take a bit of time to make their way over here.

Big_Willie_Styles:

Playful Pony:

Mega Messiah:
Now I'm just counting down the days until zombies get replaced with aliens or some shit. Then we'll move back to elves and work our way towards zombies again. What a vicious cycle.

Via nazis, presumably...

How about mutant dolphin men? That's one that's never been tried. Dragon men? Trogdor? Witches? Gallivanting and show tune singing knights of blood lust? (I got a trillion of 'em.)

Woa woa whats this, innovation and alternative thinking? GET OUT!

Early Access is what they used to call Beta Testing, but instead of paying you to test their unfinished game, you have to pay them for the privilege of testing their unfinished game.

This video did a better job of convincing me why Early Access is a fucking stupid idea than Jimquisitions whole episode on the topic did. Because he actually made good points and comparison instead of going "whiiine, I paid fifteen dollars for a game that advertised itself as being unfinished, and wouldn't you know it, IT TURNED OUT TO BE UNFINISHED!"

Take notes, Jim. Use another sauce metaphor next time, that always works well.

I had actually been a little interested in Rust, since it kinda billed itself as Minecraft/DayZ's crack baby, but when you lay it all out on the table like that it does seem kinda boring. I mean the main appeal in Minecraft is making new shit, and the main appeal in DayZ is getting up to shenanigans with the other players, but I guess it's a bit like mixing pizza and ice cream in that sense. You're not always gonna get Reese's Pieces.

Everyone has been lauding the shit out of Starbound though. I'd be tempted to check that out despite this video if it weren't for the fact that, yes, it's basically JUST Terraria, and I didn't care for that one and just stuck to Minecraft, so meh to that too.

Seems like kinda a buffer episode to save time between the more meaty time consuming new releases, but hey, I ain't complaining, these ones about the indie scene are always a lot more interesting from my perspective. If nothing else it means he's got new things to complain about, instead of just going "god cover based shooters/spunkgargleweewee is fucking stupid, this overly obsessive handholding is ruining my immersion, I'm not feeling challenged enough the game might as well play itself why am I even here" again and again and again like he tends to do with every new AAA release (with good reason, mind you). Sometimes the indie dudes might fail, but at least they fail at trying to do something DIFFERENT.

Nothing to say on Don't Starve? At least it doesn't have zombies in it. Just some wacked monsters from a Tim Burton movie.

I hadn't gotten into Starbound but I've had fun on Terraria with some mates. It seems a lot like 2D Minecraft but its got a bigger focus on dungeons, boss fights and metroidvania platforming. Also, its got jetpacks. Does Minecraft have jetpacks?

Survival games hadn't really gotten well with me. I guess it either ends up too easy or I end up in a routine of harvesting resources and almost dying.

Looks like everyone here's going about "Early Access". "Unfinished access" more like. I completely agree with Jim on it. Any released game should be judged as a finished game.

GuiltBlade:

They had the balls to charge a finished price so he went ahead and judged them as such. I doubt he'll return to them either. Also it kind of made his job easier, as he said he didn't have to spend much time with any of them.

Is no one going to mention that frame where Yahtzee was dressed as a Klan member and lynching a pig?

Yeah, wow. He hits all three games' problems square on the head. As usual of course.

And for added Rust fun try running a server in public listing, you will find nobody stays longer then 1-2 days reguardless if they are harassed or not, due to being at the top of the tech tree as he mentions.

I don't really think you can ding Starbound for being 'Terraria in space', since it's by the same guys who made Terraria...

Adressing starbound, why do you need instructions to build anything really? I mean you complain that game was unfair because you didnt bother doing anything more than tutorial weapons? if your building a sattelite you better build some missile defences, duh.

7 Days to Die: Weapons are easy to find, but they are very much usless when it comes to survival, so no point in evne collecting them i found.

Big_Willie_Styles:

Playful Pony:

Mega Messiah:
Now I'm just counting down the days until zombies get replaced with aliens or some shit. Then we'll move back to elves and work our way towards zombies again. What a vicious cycle.

Via nazis, presumably...

How about mutant dolphin men? That's one that's never been tried. Dragon men? Trogdor? Witches? Gallivanting and show tune singing knights of blood lust? (I got a trillion of 'em.)

Post-magical-apocalypse survival game could be tons of fun, actually.
Instead of 2-5 types of zombies we can have variety off mythological beasts
Zombies, skeletons, werewolves, vampires, dragons, chimeras, krakens, etc.
Every enemy has vastly different AI behavior, abilities and loot.
Imagine the possibilities.

gamegod25:
While the difficulty in Starbound is a step up from Terraria (especially starting out) it's not that bad imo. Honestly I found Terraria to be pretty easy till hardmode unlocked so having more aggressive wildlife, dealing with hunger/cold, etc. to be a welcome change. And I don't really see it as the games fault he wasn't prepared for a fight, I'm pretty sure they give you a warning (albeit a vague one if I recall) and the whole point of the game is to take your time and explore. Yeah he was in a hurry for a deadline but like speed running Skyrim you're playing it wrong that way.

Actually I'd say underground Terraria was harder than Starbound's underground at present, largely due to the "tiers" of difficulty in Terraria. Sure monsters hit harder and take more damage to kill the deeper you get in Starbound, but they don't really get more challenging, at least not that I've seen. They just kinda take the same mechanics and make the numbers involved bigger. Not a huge deal.

I'm saying the difficulty curve of Starbound is wonky: you go from these surface/underground monsters that are manageable with minimal equipment to summoning a UFO that will straight up one-shot you if you're not in basically the best armor you can make pre-UFO destruction, and even then getting hit is going to wreck your face. You basically have to either cheese the thing or man-mode jump up and sword it out of the sky before it can kill you first. The game does not prepare you for that kind of a battle - as Yahtzee pointed out, the only equipment it overtly states you need is a bow.

A bow is not sufficient for dealing with the UFO without some serious terrain exploitation and a lot of patience.

Sidenote: telling someone "you're playing it wrong" when they're playing a game that is purposely designed to be open-ended, meaning open to be played pretty much how ever you want to play it, is hilarious. You may want to rethink that.

Last thing, regarding temperature, I wish it made a little more sense. I almost froze to death while I was inside a solid structure, but standing next to a torch - while outside, at night, in the rain - keeps me warm? What? No. Does not compute. A hand torch is not going to stay lit in the rain, much less provide any useful amount of heat, and I sincerely doubt the town full of NPCs were living in frigid homes.

blackrave:

Big_Willie_Styles:

Playful Pony:
Via nazis, presumably...

Just gotta Kickstarter that shit up.

Different classes as well but funny. Future dude (technology,) the old cranky wizard, the Bunny Necromancer (can only summon bunny zombies,) Bruce Campbell, Aliens of Dance, the Purple-Shirted Eye-Stabber, Hobo Carl, etc.

Shjade:
Funny thing about the UFO: it goes down a lot faster if you can get yourself in a position to melee it rather than shoot it. Makes the fight a lot easier (since much of the difficulty comes from avoiding all the penguin spawns, of which there will obviously be more the longer the UFO is alive).

But yeah, the difficulty curve in Starbound as it is now is...ridiculous, to say the least.

Easy to if you melee!? If you attempt to melee it, it pull a Halo and rams into you, causing an insta kill. The main reason it kills you is the alien drops yes, but the main problem is in fact the insta killing ship who blows up your house because obviously you put the distress building on the roof of your home like any normal person would.

Still, I love that he said he couldn't figure out how to get fuel. I spend 5 hours playing the game without figuring out, then I showed the game to a friend and the absolute first thing he said when I bitched about that after he saw the fuel gauge was: "You got coal don't you?"

GuiltBlade:

Also with regards to Starbound, the reason its so similar to Terraria is because half the design team of Terraria is making it as the spiritual successor. And yes the UFO is a bugger (or at least used to be pre-patch 1) but that's because you're meant to fill your spaceship full of coal (FTL travel, only possible with fossil fuels) and explore the sector first.

Very simple GuiltBlade. They have asked for money. Therefore, it doesn't matter what amount the game is in development, it should be playable at an enjoyable level. Early Access or not, they have asked for money to alpha test. That is wrong. Even Minecraft which the entire system is based off was playable at an enjoyable level except at insanely early alpha releases.

Oh and the only guy from Redigit who made Terraria in the dev team for Starbound is the art guy, and Starbound has a different art style to Terraria.

blackrave:

Big_Willie_Styles:

Playful Pony:
snip

snip

So... Adventure Time: The Game? Yes, kickstart that shit.

lord.jeff:
So you never upgraded your bow because the game never told you too? Knowing to get stronger weapons should being part of gaming 101 especially when the mission warns "be ready for anything."

Yeah thats the only part of the review that I don't get...

Shjade:

gamegod25:
While the difficulty in Starbound is a step up from Terraria (especially starting out) it's not that bad imo. Honestly I found Terraria to be pretty easy till hardmode unlocked so having more aggressive wildlife, dealing with hunger/cold, etc. to be a welcome change. And I don't really see it as the games fault he wasn't prepared for a fight, I'm pretty sure they give you a warning (albeit a vague one if I recall) and the whole point of the game is to take your time and explore. Yeah he was in a hurry for a deadline but like speed running Skyrim you're playing it wrong that way.

Actually I'd say underground Terraria was harder than Starbound's underground at present, largely due to the "tiers" of difficulty in Terraria. Sure monsters hit harder and take more damage to kill the deeper you get in Starbound, but they don't really get more challenging, at least not that I've seen. They just kinda take the same mechanics and make the numbers involved bigger. Not a huge deal.

I'm saying the difficulty curve of Starbound is wonky: you go from these surface/underground monsters that are manageable with minimal equipment to summoning a UFO that will straight up one-shot you if you're not in basically the best armor you can make pre-UFO destruction, and even then getting hit is going to wreck your face. You basically have to either cheese the thing or man-mode jump up and sword it out of the sky before it can kill you first. The game does not prepare you for that kind of a battle - as Yahtzee pointed out, the only equipment it overtly states you need is a bow.

A bow is not sufficient for dealing with the UFO without some serious terrain exploitation and a lot of patience.

Sidenote: telling someone "you're playing it wrong" when they're playing a game that is purposely designed to be open-ended, meaning open to be played pretty much how ever you want to play it, is hilarious. You may want to rethink that.

Well thanks for explaining.

Thanatos2k:

lord.jeff:
So you never upgraded your bow because the game never told you too? Knowing to get stronger weapons should being part of gaming 101 especially when the mission warns "be ready for anything."

I feel this is one of those situations where you'd discover more about the game if it DIDN'T tell you what to do.

When it doesn't tell you what to do, it triggers the instinct to figure things out for yourself. Terraria was wonderful in this regard.

Yea, Yahtzee is funny and all, but his views are always skewed by him being a colossal noob at almost every game. I don't think that I'm the only one who has noticed this. There was a thread about it a while back.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Shjade:
Funny thing about the UFO: it goes down a lot faster if you can get yourself in a position to melee it rather than shoot it. Makes the fight a lot easier (since much of the difficulty comes from avoiding all the penguin spawns, of which there will obviously be more the longer the UFO is alive).

But yeah, the difficulty curve in Starbound as it is now is...ridiculous, to say the least.

Easy to if you melee!? If you attempt to melee it, it pull a Halo and rams into you, causing an insta kill. The main reason it kills you is the alien drops yes, but the main problem is in fact the insta killing ship who blows up your house because obviously you put the distress building on the roof of your home like any normal person would.

- Place Distress Beacon on the roof of a building that has easy access to said roof from the interior.
- Activate Beacon.
- Drop down into top floor of the building.
- Wait for UFO to slam into the roof.
- Jump up to the roof, slash at UFO until it moves out of range.
- Repeat steps 3-5.
- ???
- Profit.

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Very simple GuiltBlade. They have asked for money. Therefore, it doesn't matter what amount the game is in development, it should be playable at an enjoyable level. Early Access or not, they have asked for money to alpha test. That is wrong. Even Minecraft which the entire system is based off was playable at an enjoyable level except at insanely early alpha releases.

Oh and the only guy from Redigit who made Terraria in the dev team for Starbound is the art guy, and Starbound has a different art style to Terraria.

Right but the process of open access is now, whether we like it or not, industry standard practice for smaller releases. You yourself acknoledged the state that Minecraft was originaly released in, for money.

All Yahtzee has done here is not shine a light on a new evil or wrong doing, or disavow a bad title that was ill-made. He's just produced a massive negative publicity piece on three games which even if they improved would have lost a portion of their audience.

Sure other people are going to go and buy it anyway, and this will have drawn many more people to look at the titles. But now they are all going to have both a negative image in the eyes of Yahtzee's fanbase and a bunch of angry trolls which take Yahtzee too seriously taking the opportunity to rag on them.

So I stand by what I said, this was bad for the titles and told us what we all ready knew 'beta product isn't good final product,' SHOKER! There are plenty of other things for Yahtzee to make fun of, even others in the survival genre to take the piss out of, this was a cheap and harmful look at peoples unfinished product that they are being encouraged to release early by both distributors and their fanbases.

Shjade:

gamegod25:

Last thing, regarding temperature, I wish it made a little more sense. I almost froze to death while I was inside a solid structure, but standing next to a torch - while outside, at night, in the rain - keeps me warm? What? No. Does not compute. A hand torch is not going to stay lit in the rain, much less provide any useful amount of heat, and I sincerely doubt the town full of NPCs were living in frigid homes.

Well I never said that it was perfect, it is still a work in progress after all. Just meant I like the added depth and realism warmth and hunger added. You are right about the torches and the NPC's but again it is still a game after all so you should suspend some disbelief. A structure may protect from wind and rain but without some heating source it's probably not going to be enough to keep warm.

And while there is certainly nothing stopping you from playing however you want, trying to speed run through it does miss the point of the game so to speak. Just doing the bare minimum required and trying to "finish" quickly in a game like this just seems foolish, the draw of the game is to explore and build not get to an end. That's just my opinion of course so feel free to disagree.

Anyway I enjoyed Terraria and loving Starbound even more. There is no doubt that it still needs work but then what game doesn't?

Still haven't bought any Early-Access games. Call me oldfashioned, but I prefer to know that my game is actually complete before I pay money for it.

I know at least three people had to have said it so far Yahtzee but I wanted to inform you that the main lead on Starbound was one of the main members of the Terraria team. This is just what he wanted to do with it in the first place using his own crew.

I prefer to think of Early Access as the new term for Open Beta. People were on their site saying that they would never release it(because it has been a long road getting it this far) and so I believe an open beta was their way of showing they care and are getting this game out if it kills them.

I am not disagreeing with the rest of what you said though, namely because others have already banged on about things like the planet size. Just keep playing it in your spare time and hope that you can eventually come across instruments. They are like the holy grail, in the fact that once you find one you find a million of them coming out of the walls.

Joined this site just to post this so I hope you are pleased with yourself, Yahtzee, you incredibly rugged sexy weasel of a heartless man!

ccdohl:

Thanatos2k:

lord.jeff:

I feel this is one of those situations where you'd discover more about the game if it DIDN'T tell you what to do.

When it doesn't tell you what to do, it triggers the instinct to figure things out for yourself. Terraria was wonderful in this regard.

Yea, Yahtzee is funny and all, but his views are always skewed by him being a colossal noob at almost every game. I don't think that I'm the only one who has noticed this. There was a thread about it a while back.

Well it's not that, it's that he has to rush most games so he doesn't spend time faffing about when the game gives a clear objective. Notice he played three games in a week!

Unfortunately, games like Terraria and Starbound are ABOUT faffing about.

Thanatos2k:

Well it's not that, it's that he has to rush most games so he doesn't spend time faffing about when the game gives a clear objective. Notice he played three games in a week!

Unfortunately, games like Terraria and Starbound are ABOUT faffing about.

Sorry, hate adding to the windows within windows.

I get that and I don't blame him but in the cases of this, he could just spend a whole video on Starbound, just like he did with the original Day Z review. I get his pain. Trust me. Just playing devil's advocate.

GuiltBlade:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Right but the process of open access is now, whether we like it or not, industry standard practice for smaller releases. You yourself acknoledged the state that Minecraft was originaly released in, for money.

All Yahtzee has done here is not shine a light on a new evil or wrong doing, or disavow a bad title that was ill-made. He's just produced a massive negative publicity piece on three games which even if they improved would have lost a portion of their audience.

Sure other people are going to go and buy it anyway, and this will have drawn many more people to look at the titles. But now they are all going to have both a negative image in the eyes of Yahtzee's fanbase and a bunch of angry trolls which take Yahtzee too seriously taking the opportunity to rag on them.

So I stand by what I said, this was bad for the titles and told us what we all ready knew 'beta product isn't good final product,' SHOKER! There are plenty of other things for Yahtzee to make fun of, even others in the survival genre to take the piss out of, this was a cheap and harmful look at peoples unfinished product that they are being encouraged to release early by both distributors and their fanbases.

Good, he insulted products that were released early and buggy. I don't care if it says early access, its still getting money for releasing a broken product of a game which can be harmful to the game itself as well as making people pay to do something they should be paid for.

Whatever you say about Minecraft and its release style, it was at a playable state when they started that model, and could totally be played as a somewhat sparse game. Maybe not a very good one no, but still. Very few of the early access games can say the same.

I see Early Access games that are nearly unplayable in the same way I see Total War Rome 2. Unacceptably broken. Either release by the actual industry standard model, or waste time bug testing every single release before public release like Minecraft did, therefore massively extended your production, while of course SIGNIFICANTLY reducing the price of the game.

Shjade:

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

Shjade:

- Place Distress Beacon on the roof of a building that has easy access to said roof from the interior.
- Activate Beacon.
- Jump up to the roof, slash at UFO until it moves out of range.
- Repeat steps 3-5.
- ???
- Profit.

More like.

- Activate Beacon
- Remember that the UFO slam attack can destroy blocks and immediately be crushed by UFO.

I tried a very similar tactic to what you describe because my house was already set up in that way (not the entire roof, just a small section of it was jump through-able) and he immediately flattened my entire house by downward ramming it.

There are two types of people in this world. Those who dig, and those with guns.

GuiltBlade:

I think you need to watch this Jimquisition video. Early Access is a big deal, and Jim goes into pretty good explanation of why it's important for Yahztee to be doing these games and treating them as final releases. Especially since some never leave beta after you've bought them.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8681-Early-Access

Rainbow_Dashtruction:

- Activate Beacon
- Remember that the UFO slam attack can destroy blocks and immediately be crushed by UFO.

I tried a very similar tactic to what you describe because my house was already set up in that way (not the entire roof, just a small section of it was jump through-able) and he immediately flattened my entire house by downward ramming it.

It destroys a limited number of blocks, possibly dependent upon how dense/tough the blocks it's hitting are. I usually see it go through maybe 2 to 3 layers of blocks on a slam when it's hitting something wood-ish. On the ape-style stone/metal buildings it typically just cracks a hole wherever the center of the UFO hits, but the rest of the surface is largely undamaged. I pop up through the hole, ginsu the dish, drop back down and wait for the next slam. *shrug* Works for me.

gamegod25:

Anyway I enjoyed Terraria and loving Starbound even more. There is no doubt that it still needs work but then what game doesn't?

Thief
Left 4 Dead
Starcraft
Rogue Legacy
Portal

I could go on...but I won't. But I could.

The 'indie;' scene seems to be suffering from these endless cash-grabs of late, well done in following the folly of the mobile games lads

"An armed society is a polite society" ~Robert A. Heinlein

Shjade:

gamegod25:

Thief
Left 4 Dead
Starcraft
Rogue Legacy
Portal

I could go on...but I won't. But I could.

Yeah because none of those games have/had bugs, glitches, imbalances, and not been patched or updated at all...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.