Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Game Breaking Bugs

Pages PREV 1 2

scw55:

Tumedus:

scw55:
I experienced a game breaking bug in Zelda Ocarina of Time.

In the water temple, it is possible to switch the water level before "preparing the dungeon enough" or progressing far enough. Leaving you trapped in the temple. You cannot continue.

I have never completed OOT as a result because I refuse to restart.

Fwiw, you cannot lock yourself out by switching the water level. It is always possible to get to the first ocarina point (down the bottom door on the right and back up) regardless of how the dungeon is set up or what water level you last activated. If that helps with your motivation to give it another go.

I mean I cannot progress further as I've locked out of any potential progress.

Yeah, trust me, there is no sequence error you can make in the Water Temple that gets you permanently stuck. More than likely you just missed a key (like the one in the center tower under the platform that floats up). I have seen people claim they sequence glitched the dungeon many times and it always turned out to be possible.

The only glitch that can cause serious trouble is a specific save and reset glitch after fighting Dark Link that keeps you from getting the longshot. And that glitch is rare even when you do it "right" meaning you pretty much need to do it on purpose.

Tumedus:

scw55:

Tumedus:

Fwiw, you cannot lock yourself out by switching the water level. It is always possible to get to the first ocarina point (down the bottom door on the right and back up) regardless of how the dungeon is set up or what water level you last activated. If that helps with your motivation to give it another go.

I mean I cannot progress further as I've locked out of any potential progress.

Yeah, trust me, there is no sequence error you can make in the Water Temple that gets you permanently stuck. More than likely you just missed a key (like the one in the center tower under the platform that floats up). I have seen people claim they sequence glitched the dungeon many times and it always turned out to be possible.

The only glitch that can cause serious trouble is a specific save and reset glitch after fighting Dark Link that keeps you from getting the longshot. And that glitch is rare even when you do it "right" meaning you pretty much need to do it on purpose.

I must admit I have literally no existing motivation to touch the game ever again at this moment.

I have played a lot of games with terrible bugs recently:

Skyrim: A character refused to talk to me, so I could not finish a main quest. I cheated to other quests, but they then broke.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands: A door refused to open, so I was unable to progress. I had to download a program that exploited another bug to get through there. It required very specific placement of my character and took hours to find the right method. Then, I died on the other side of the door, ended up back on the broken side, and had to do the whole fucking process again.

Red Dead Redemption: My character died abruptly while climbing up a hill. What the hell?

Shadow Warrior remake: I lost the ability to load saved games for the last half of chapter 12, meaning I either had to no-death speedrun that part or cheat. What a frustrating roadblock, though I did get past it.

Rise of the Triad remake: All kinds of bugs: Stairs disappearing, enemies disappearing, enemies stopping and doing nothing, floors disappearing, doors not opening, crashes, and plenty more. I had to cheat a few times because the game was preventing me from getting where I needed to go. Also, there is a weird persistent bug: If you hit the quickload button more than once before the save is loaded, the game goes into an endless loading screen.

Two Brothers: Excellent game, very imaginative, except for all the crippling bugs. Characters get stuck outside the playable area, important things disappear, you transition between scenes and end up in the wrong place, place names fail to show up after you visit them, dialogue never appears, graphics become distorted, crashes occur--the game breaks every few minutes, and since it autosaves and you cannot copy the save, playing it mean constant fear of getting into a dead end.

Bayonetta: I love this game, but I hate all the goddamned quick-time events and button mashing. Q.T.Es and button mashing are always the worst parts of games, but these ones are even worse: The instructions are usually vague, and always wrong. I never passed any of those sequences by doing what the game told me: I just mashed different buttons than the ones shown onscreen and flailed the analog sticks in different directions than indicated until I got lucky. Fuck those sequences, especially in this game.

Quest for Glory 4: I love the old Sierra games, but some of them are extremely buggy, and this is one of the worst: There are many ways to get stuck due to bad programming, and I managed to avoid most of them. Then, near the end, I thought I was safe but my character got stuck and slowed down during an action scene, preventing me from finishing.

One of my favorite games, and the best of the series is Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link. It took me years to finish, not only because it was very hard--which it was--but because the N.E.S's save functions were highly problematic, and the saved games often got erased. I love 8 and 16 bit games, but I wish they saved better.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here