Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 Review - A Total Drain

Pages PREV 1 2

Trishbot:
And Konami's move towards being solely a Metal Gear factory takes another step forward.

Castlevania looks to join the ranks of Silent Hill, it seems.

Especially since the first game was fun and interesting. This one just has cutscene after cutscene. I'm so fucking bored of watching the game. And the mechanics are worse than the first one. The climbing is weak, the fighting is annoying because you can't really block. If you don't get the perfect block, they still seem to hit you. Also, there is no combo count/system which I'm okay with but while I'm wailing 3 or 4 hits on a guy, how come he can just smack me. There is NO FLOW in the combat.

Oh... and there's no way to quit. You just exit the game to the dashboard/xmb.

Sounds like most of the problems presented about this game in the review center on the same criticisms the first game had: lack of originality, horrible writing, mediocre pacing, and excessive padding. I still enjoyed the first game a lot regardless of those problems, so I'll probably pick this one up regardless of some of the negative criticism. I don't expect it to set a new standard for action games, but it sounds like a decent action game none-the-less, at least based around what else I've seen/read on it.

margibso:
Reading this makes me want to play a game based on Hellsing. None of this brooding anti-hero, instead barely constrained KILL ALL THE THINGS.

If someone could do this right...

I would pay a lot of money for it.

Hellsing is the perfect version of a real anti-hero. Not brooding, not whiny. Basically a complete psychopath who will trouce everything in this path, but sometimes has a good goal in the end.

Heck, I'd like a new and good Kain game.

I'm just going to paint a target on myself here, but personally I think the Lords of shadow games are some of the best castlevanias in years, this one included. To give some perspective, I started out originally with Super Castlevania, and then went backwards to play a few of the older 2D's on the gameboy. I never played Symphony of the night and thus years later when I did try some of the clones of it, I could admit they were fun...but not the bee's knees. in fact my next encounter was Curse of Darkness on the ps2. and this is where my perspective comes from.

There have been a few times in the past years that I've seen games that looked like they could have been good...if they weren't the game they were. other m is a good example. the gameplay? steller.....for another franchise, like megaman or something perhaps. I've heard so many people berate the Lords of Shadow series for "Ripping off God of war", another series I will admit to not having played.....seen a lot of it though....and I argue, that from my perspective, it seems more like god of war ripped off the perfect combat mechanics for a 3D castlevania, before Lords of shadow was even a thought. The first game, was a bit too linear I will say, but in 2, the way they made things interconnected and teleportation accessible....it feels like a good blend of Curse of darkness and Lords of shadow. and considering the stories in both are partway interesting, and partway a bit kooky, I think that works out pretty well.

I don't get why some people say they should have left out the story. I think Lords of shadow does for me what Skyward sword did for zelda. It makes you care about the main character, gives you an origin story.....out of many, true, but still.

I'm pretty much rambling now, but yeah, point said, I enjoy the LOS series for the story, for 3D gameplay that I personally find fun, and I think Jim and many others are rather a bit too harsh on a game of a series thats over 25 years old now. maybe I'm too nostalgic, but if so, that's just my opinion.

For people that played the demo and think it's fun, just wait until you buy the real game and being forced to do the horribly designed stealth and platforming.

It's like putting shit on top of ice cream, you may occasionally still get a hint of sweetness but you wouldn't be able to ignore the stink.

just finished the game. I've got to say, I enjoyed it,sans stealth parts of course. Combat was fun, the world was interestingly , and the art was very nice.

The story had its ups and downs. The game isn't about dracula exploring a new world. If you approach the game like that, of course you are going to get disappointed. Instead the game is about gabriel reconnecting with his son, which is his last vestigial connecting to humanity. If you look at the story from that perspective its pretty touching. I honestly don't understand the absurdly low scores that this game is getting online. frankly IGNs 68 seems on the money, i would even give this 75 on account of the alucard gabriel dynamic.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here