Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 15: "Yes Men" Recap

Pages PREV 1 2

SirBryghtside:

Lhianon:
may i point out that Sifs shoes are neither appropriate for renaisance fairs nor swordfighting?
seriously, trying to parry any weapon larger than a short sword with thoose shoes would make you loose balance really fast, in conjuntion with her "breastplate" (smarter people than me have disected the problems with thoose things, long story short, they are a grave danger to your survival in a combat scenario) this makes it really hard to believe the charakter as presented is actually a warrior that has fought in dozens of wars throughout the centuries.
which i find sad, i really want to like her :-(

Meh, she's a comic book character - it's not meant to look overly practical. At least it's designed to look like an awesome warrior and not a chainmail bikini.

There's also the in-universe explanation that she's an Asgardian, with her armour made of Asgardian metal (her shield deflected a shotgun blast in the episode) - so the balance, weight and protectiveness are all going to be a lot better.

see, in a comic book i kind of can accept thoose designs because it is entirely fictional, however, in a live action movie or tv show, where a real actress has to wear the clothes/shoes it breaks the immersion for me. the fact that asgardian metal is harder than the metals we utilize on earth actually reinforces the problem of a "breastplate"; essentially you are pointing a wedge right at the middle of your ripcage.
i was probably not clear enough in my first post, i want to like the "Sif"-charakter, especially in light of DCs inability to make their plethora of female charakters work, so i put high hopes in Marvel to demonstrate how you could possibly do it without completely droping the ball. i realize the costume is a minor problem from this perspective since most writers still struggle to write a good female charakter instead of some kind of stereotype, but on the other hand, many male charakters are also not writen as persons, so i chalk that up to bad authors writing bad charakters.

i apologize for gramatical or orthographic errors, english is not my first language.

This show's problem is a lack of ambition. Not ambition in tying to the Marvel universe, but ambition in pure cinematic terms: pedestrian cinematography, lack of characterization, and repeated situations, i.e. two characters talk, then actio scene, then exposition, then awkward emotion. It's not the 1990s anymore.

Scars Unseen:

Hiramas:

Master_of_Oldskool:
[quote="JaredXE" post="6.844612.20805973"]

That, and I really don't want Mei to turn out evil. She's too fucking awesome.

If we stay inside the cpt. america reasoning, i do not think mei is going evil.
If Fury himself ordered Coulsons treatment and she knows about it while the Clairvoyant does not,
that means she is not on CENTIPEDES side.
I guess that she called Fury or whoever is working with him.
It definitely will create heavy tension in the team if (rather when) this comes out, but I would not put Mei on the evil side.

No kidding. "You mean to tell me that you had Nick Fury on speed dial this whole time?!"

Fury or Alexander Pierce.
This could be a good way to ease him in.
But i'm still going with Fury.
Also it makes sense for Fury to keep a tap on his invesment.

Also, this means that Fury and the hidden lab are not on the radar of the Clairvoyant.
So the Clairvoyant doesn't seem to be that omniscient.

Maybe i'm lookng to deep in plotholes, but if the Clairvoyant hase shield mainframe access, how come he didn't find the base?
fitz did it just by looking at travel expenses.

And why didn't tell Coulson Simmons that if they put the cure on te mainframe the Clairvoyant will find out.
By telling her off like he did, she will get fed up by it and do it regartless.

I'm not exactly sure what this show promised to people before airing or what it was meant to be according to fans but it's just like any other show.. if you don't like it, don't watch it?

I highly doubt not watching will cause any serious continuity issues with the movies.

I love this show, I didn't read up about it beforehand or watch trailers or anything like that, I just tuned into episode 1 and haven't missed one since.

Personally, It's one of only a few shows I look forward to every week.

If it isn't what you thought it was going to be, whining about it isn't going to change anything, it is what it is.

Whatislove:
I'm not exactly sure what this show promised to people before airing or what it was meant to be according to fans but it's just like any other show.. if you don't like it, don't watch it?

I highly doubt not watching will cause any serious continuity issues with the movies.

I love this show, I didn't read up about it beforehand or watch trailers or anything like that, I just tuned into episode 1 and haven't missed one since.

Personally, It's one of only a few shows I look forward to every week.

If it isn't what you thought it was going to be, whining about it isn't going to change anything, it is what it is.

Thats true, but they also make sure watching it doesn't either.

From the start i expected NCIS: Marvel, and i must say they do deliver on that.
I do like the show, but i also feel it's missing something.

And i think people were expecting Iron-Man, Thor, Cap or .... to show up at some point.
although that would be awesome and not entirely out of the question, i don't think that's realistic.
at least not structural.
But i do think the show can improve from a little stronger connection with the rest of Marvel.
(More than just name dropping any way).

With the mid credits scenes, the gauntlet(thor), a hologram of the tesseract (iron-man 2) and a coulple more, Marvel has shown they know how to connect movies

Wow... I feel stupid for this, but I JUST realized that the appearance of the Kree on a S.H.I.E.L.D. show is probably building up to Ms. Marvel.

Someone kill me before I breed.

KazeAizen:
Um did you watch a different episode than I did? This was the best episode so far because it finally did what people had been expecting this series to do. Have its own stories but still tie back to The Avengers in a more significant way then simply name drops. Seriously giving side characters or more minor characters from the movies episodes to themselves is a great idea. Lady Sif showing up and kicking ass on the small screen was awesome and made for some good television.

I absolutely agree. I was very happy to see Lady Sif get an episode - she's a great character who deserves some screen time. She didn't get nearly enough in Thor: Dark World.

I will say this - I think some of the complaining is because this Joss Whedon cast isn't quite clicking like some of his previous ones. People were hoping for another Firefly. Which is an unfair standard, to be sure, but even as a fan of AoS I find some of the characters a bit meh.

Still, damn good episode overall. I look forward to April 1st.

The 'magical seductress' has to be one of the most overused plots in sci-fi TV (All the Stargates and Treks, Angel, Supernatural, Smallville...) but I'm glad they at least used it to do something with Ward and May as well as punishing Ward for being so critical of Michael Peterson. I think it might have been funny to see the intense Sif vs. Lorelei and May vs. Ward fights intercut with Fitz and Simmons having a nerd slap fight.

Was there any point to renaming the stun guns? Did fans complain that 'night-night gun' sounded too sissy or something?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here