Movie Defense Force: Silent Hill Revelation 3D - A Sidesplitting Family Comedy

Pages PREV 1 2

I found this pretty decent.

I never tire of saying Heather is my favourite character in video game fiction and I give this movie the pass because they practically nailed her. Her particular blend of anger, fear and humour is not easy to pull off twice and they did.

Ahhh, when I saw this movie I showed it to EVERYONE that I know! We're all Silent Hill fans and it's just so hilarious. My favorite sub-plot that starts up and suddenly goes no where is the part where the police are after Heather, go to her house, see the "come to Silent Hill" message written in blood, affirm out loud to the audience that they have gone to Silent Hill, just so we're clear, and then we never see them again. Ever. That's it. Like, they aren't even brought up. The next time we see police officers it's just to make a nod to Downpour.

Pyramid Head showing up to save the day and then limping away like it's all pedestrian to him was truly the best ending I could have asked for. I kind of genuinely hope they try to pull a Silent Hill 2 out of their ass and go off that Sean Bean willingly going back to Silent Hill to find his wife thing that happens at the end. I can't imagine how hilarious that would be.

My favorite is when Claudia's henchmen take "dark-long hair" boy to the asylum. The thing that made no logical sense at all, therefore hilarious, was the fact that this seemed like the henchmen have done this before yet they are surprised when they get utterly slaughtered by the nurse monsters they saw standing there in plain sight. I mean seriously they lived and worked in silent hill for some time, was there no protocol for this? They seemed to think "hey these are the things that attack you upon hearing noise. So instead of standing at a safe distance and pushing the gurney into the crowd of knife wielding freaks, let's careless;y walk right in front of them. Safety first!"

On a slight change of gear but still "horror " theme. Jim, can you do a defence for the 1999 version of House on haunted hill. That's a "guilty" pleasure but I've been made away that film had been poo-pooed by critics for years. Very unfairly poo-pooed. It's a brilliant hammed up joyfest with Geoff rush eating the scenes as if they were made of chocolate.

canadamus_prime:
I dare you to try and defend Uwe Bowle's House of the Dead film.

That could be defended the same way as this, as being so utterly horrible that it's amusing. What's more it's a genuinely fun movie, I mean just the sheer visuals/audacity involved in having an Asian girl dressed in an American flag bodysuit answering to the name "Liberty" knife fighting with zombies is one of those things we'll doubtlessly never see again. Not to mention out of the blue lines from guys claiming to be "one of the world's most successful male underwear models", the SEGA banner at a supposed "ultra excusive, ultra-secret rave"... and the performance of "Captain Kirk"... who also happens to be the excuse for heavily arming the characters on the island eventually... oh oh and the "sword fight" at the end. I've watched "House Of The Dead" more than once, it's probably Uwe Boll's most entertaining work. :)

Oh and Jojo (I think it was you) "Silent Hill: Revelation" should be on Netflix, and it's been there a while I think. It showed up on Netflix pretty quickly after it's release actually.

Speaking for myself I will say "Revelation" is a good example of how to do a "B" or "C" horror movie when your going for the whole "so bad it's good" thing. The only real down side to this movie (which I saw in the theaters and found entertaining) is that it probably ensures we won't see another attempt at a "Silent Hill" movie.

Oh and I'll also say that I think part of what hurt the movie was that it literally WAS a "scary funfaire ride". Part of the problem is of course that it was inspired by "Silent Hill 3" which was one of the weaker installments (IMO) and I suppose viewed that way it came surprisingly close on some levels. But another big part of it was that "Universal Theme Park" was supposedly using "Silent Hill" as it's theme for their Halloween event that year if I remember. There was some speculation that the movie was actually made using props, sets, and gimmicks they were originally making for the Halloween event, which is in part why it looks the way it does. They had put a lot of work ahead of time into it that year and kind of decided "well, if we're going through all this effort, why not use this stuff for an actual movie". Whether that's true or not, I have no idea. As far as the celebrities involved, Universal Studios Park seems to be pretty good about landing people for some off the cuff stuff, for example when I went a few years ago they had Christopher Waulkeen involved in the "Disaster" attraction. It wouldn't shock me if Malcolm Macdowell and Sean Bean were involved in the Halloween event and decided "sure we'll do the movie for cheap while we're here anyway helping set up this attraction for later this year"

Again the above is all rumor and speculation, I don't even know for sure if the park did use "Silent Hill" as a theme. I suppose the only people who would know for sure are those who were there or worked on the movie.

Therumancer:

canadamus_prime:
I dare you to try and defend Uwe Bowle's House of the Dead film.

That could be defended the same way as this, as being so utterly horrible that it's amusing. What's more it's a genuinely fun movie, I mean just the sheer visuals/audacity involved in having an Asian girl dressed in an American flag bodysuit answering to the name "Liberty" knife fighting with zombies is one of those things we'll doubtlessly never see again. Not to mention out of the blue lines from guys claiming to be "one of the world's most successful male underwear models", the SEGA banner at a supposed "ultra excusive, ultra-secret rave"... and the performance of "Captain Kirk"... who also happens to be the excuse for heavily arming the characters on the island eventually... oh oh and the "sword fight" at the end. I've watched "House Of The Dead" more than once, it's probably Uwe Boll's most entertaining work. :)

I know. I would definitely file Uwe Bowle's "House of the Dead" under "so bad it's good." I just want to see what Jim would have to say about it.

To me this movie was like KevinCostner's Postman (Rotten Tomatoes 9%) where the Production Crew involved obviously had some skills and put in effort but so the Movie is bad, real bad; however not to the point there it tips and becomes hilariously bad&enjoyable.

In my opinion, the first Silent Hill movie was an enjoyable attempt at adapting the games into a movie. It wasn't great by any means, but it was still enjoyable. With Revelations, it wasn't as enjoyable, and felt more like a love letter to the series than anything else.

By the way Jim, could you do an episode for The A-Team? That movies deserves it.

No video on the 10th. Did Jim go to PAX East?

gridsleep:
No video on the 10th. Did Jim go to PAX East?

Movie Defence Force is released every two weeks, though the schedule would imply otherwise.

Sorry about the thread necro, but I think I have a fairly good excuse.

Jim, because of this video, I went out and bought Silent Hill Revelation. I hadn't seen it (I'm not sure why - just never got around to it) but this review made me want to see it.

So I bought it. Watched it. LOVED IT.

I am willing to call this one of the best three video game movies I have ever seen in my life.

So thank you, Jim, for getting me to watch this. I found the first Silent Hill movie disappointing, but his movie entirely made up for it. Well... almost entirely. The first movie is still pretty meh.

JudgeGame:
I never tire of saying Heather is my favourite character in video game fiction and I give this movie the pass because they practically nailed her. Her particular blend of anger, fear and humour is not easy to pull off twice and they did.

This.

Well, not the favorite character of all time, but I do like her, and one thing this movie did perfectly was Heather's character. She is spot on.

One other thing. On the issue of Pyramid Head - the stuff with Pyramid Head makes much more sense once you realize that he ISN'T PYRAMID HEAD. He's Valtiel in a Pyramid Head outfit.

Valtiel is the named monster in Silent Hill 3 who turns valves and cranks - like the one on the carousel - and who at one point defends Heather from a female monster - like the battle at the end of the movie.

Sound familiar?

They just reskinned (pun intended) Valtiel as Pyramid Head for marketing purposes.

Actually, Valtiel being the real identity of Pyramid Head in the movies makes the first film retroactively make more sense. It doesn't make it any better, but it makes more sense.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here