Civilization: Beyond Earth Could Be Alpha Centauri 2 Without the Name

Pages PREV 1 2

alasyon:

The Gentleman:

chozo_hybrid:
I found that to be a central part of military strategy. I didn't like it at first, but it means an enemy can see what's approaching easier and at least try properly defend against it. Your movements had to be more carefully planned.

Eh... I still prefer stacking, as large campaigns often end up with most of my territory covered in troops in preparation, and turns it into a logistical mess to move them all in unison.

Maybe realistic stacking, limited to a certain number of troops depending on what type they are - the strategy is cool but cumbersome and unrealistic. But of course, keep the collateral damage ala Alpha Centauri.

Personally, I'm a fan of the current non-stacky system, but I could see how a Fleet-point system could work.
I forgot if it was Galactic Civilization 2 or Endless Space, but one of them had a Logistics cap.
Some (in this case ships, but it could work for units) ships had 1 point, some 2 depending on their power, and you could make a fleet of 5 points. The more you researched in the Logistics tree the bigger the cap became. Up to a point.

This is how I play Civ V anyway. A little bit of Eric Flint's 1632 mixed with some Peter Hamilton Reality Dysfuntion.

Looking at the screenshots, the first quote that came to mind: "Is this going to be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug hunt?"

People need to stop being all like "OMFG it's Alpha Centauri 2!!?!?!115!"
It is going to fail if people keep going a long these lines because it won't be enough like Alpha Centauri that people will start bitching, instead of letting it be it's own thing

I have already heard other comments stating that it's not going to be exactly like Alpha Centauri therefore it's bad
Jesus people, let it be it's own thing

Ranorak:

alasyon:

The Gentleman:
Eh... I still prefer stacking, as large campaigns often end up with most of my territory covered in troops in preparation, and turns it into a logistical mess to move them all in unison.

Maybe realistic stacking, limited to a certain number of troops depending on what type they are - the strategy is cool but cumbersome and unrealistic. But of course, keep the collateral damage ala Alpha Centauri.

Personally, I'm a fan of the current non-stacky system, but I could see how a Fleet-point system could work.
I forgot if it was Galactic Civilization 2 or Endless Space, but one of them had a Logistics cap.
Some (in this case ships, but it could work for units) ships had 1 point, some 2 depending on their power, and you could make a fleet of 5 points. The more you researched in the Logistics tree the bigger the cap became. Up to a point.

That would be great - a limit that is a function of both the unit type and tech tree bonuses. That could work really well, giving the best of both worlds.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here