Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Shadiest Merchants in Video Games

Pages PREV 1 2

Pity you didn't go into more detail about Moneybags. Always asking you to cough up *ahem* a small fee...

Still, at least you get to have some payback at the end of Year of the Dragon.

yamy:
One of them openly admits to getting their merchandise off dead people whilst earnestly state they look forward to looting you, whilst another actively kicks you down a deep hole in the hope of doing the same.

Yeah, that's Patches, the Hyena. He tries to kill you twice on Demon"s Souls, and then again in Dark Souls. And I had to keep him alive to buy cheap arrows on the Nexus in Demon's Souls. I hate that shady guy.

I really thought he would be on the top 5.

I wonder if he's back for Dark Souls II. (probably yes, that crook ... Should've backstabbed him to oblivion when I had the chance)

"...Look even Navi is freaking out when she sees him..."

Umm sorry Lisa but have you ever played Majora's Mask?
Navi isn't in this game. Actually the reason why Link went on a journey to find a long lost friend is theorized by some to be Navi.

Anyway the fairy in the game is Tatl and she is the sister of Skull Kid's fairy Tael.

OK, good. RE4 was in there. Good.
But a recent omission. A major one. And the reason I thought this list existed.
Dark Souls 2. Gavlan. Gavlan Wheel. Gavlan Deal!

I really thought we were going for calling out the top 5 worst companies "whaling" with their stores within games! Was really bummed to see it was just about characters within games although she never has anything topical to talk about so I guess I should have known better.

Aye, needed more Slim Cognito. I know he was in the intro, but the guy sold a suck cannon to a minor (he swore the kid was over 18) and went into hiding in a base in the bottom of the sea. Pretty shady!

I could also say the merchant from Dust: An Elysian Tail, but he was a reference to the RE4 merchant (and even then he had a kiosk as opposed to that snazzy coat).

Wow, I count only 3 people so far pointing out the Navi - Tatl thing. I was expecting a barrage of these comments.

Just started playing Dust: An elysian tail on hardcore, and that travelling merchant is the embodiement of shady. With dark robes and hood hiding face, hands always in the 'evil pyramid of contemplation' position along with one of the slyest, knowing voices there has been in a game. Perhaps he was meant as a stereotype merchant, i wouldnt put it past that game.

ShadowGandalf01:
How about the Smuggler from the Ratchet & Clank series? First introduced in Tools of Destruction, then going on to appear in Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, and Nexus. There's also Slim Cognito from Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3.

Look buddy, if we're gonna talk Ratchet & Clank....lets actually bring up the character 'Shady Salesman".
Y'know, the dude that sells you the RYNO.image

Oh man the Shabunga mention takes me baaaaaack. I loved Starfox Adventures (I think I'm the only one).

Fatheadicus:

1. Marcus from Borderlands. - He is an arms dealer that is introduced in the second game, killing a man with the title "No Refunds".

Marcus was in the original Borderlands.

This is an awesome topic. So many good options. The kid from diablo could have been mentioned.

You could get a whole list from Ocarina of Time alone. Happy Mask salesman, Bombchu carpet guy, Ghost shop owner, the witch behind the potion shop, does Ingo count as well?

And even though he was friendly Muramusa from Ninja Gaiden always creeped me out as well

Fatheadicus:
OK there are two that have been missed.

1. Marcus from Borderlands. - He is an arms dealer that is introduced in the second game, killing a man with the title "No Refunds".
2. Wirt from the First Diablo. I just got the feeling the kid was shafting me every time I went out the back of the village. I half expected to have some one arresting me for any number of crimes that the kid was going to set me up with.

Definitely Wirt from Diablo. Can't believe that was skipped over.

Also, my personal favourite is Smiling Jack from Fallout. The guy is a merchant, who sells to the Raiders. And he carries the best weapon in that game (or certainly the weapon I used more than ANY other weapon) THE TERRIBLE SHOTGUN!!!

JUMBO PALACE:
Oh man the Shabunga mention takes me baaaaaack. I loved Starfox Adventures (I think I'm the only one).

You are most certainly not, furry fox lover! :)

Ya the Dark Souls characters are mostly shady, but at least some of them aren't too bad. The Happy Mask Salesman creeps me out everytime though.

Big_Boss_Mantis:

yamy:
One of them openly admits to getting their merchandise off dead people whilst earnestly state they look forward to looting you, whilst another actively kicks you down a deep hole in the hope of doing the same.

Yeah, that's Patches, the Hyena. He tries to kill you twice on Demon"s Souls, and then again in Dark Souls. And I had to keep him alive to buy cheap arrows on the Nexus in Demon's Souls. I hate that shady guy.

I really thought he would be on the top 5.

I wonder if he's back for Dark Souls II. (probably yes, that crook ... Should've backstabbed him to oblivion when I had the chance)

Yeah cannot believe that Patches the Hyena/Trusty Patches is not on this list. He is the only merchant I have seen in a game that actively tries to kill the player in not one but in two games in the series.

Eric the Orange:

Marcus was in the original Borderlands.

I understand that, I was just haven't played that game in a long while to have a memorable moment of him and his introduction. His introduction in Borderlands 2 is a lot more recent in my mind. All the Borderlands characters are awesome fun.

TheRundownRabbit:

ShadowGandalf01:
How about the Smuggler from the Ratchet & Clank series? First introduced in Tools of Destruction, then going on to appear in Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, and Nexus. There's also Slim Cognito from Ratchet and Clank 2 and 3.

Look buddy, if we're gonna talk Ratchet & Clank....lets actually bring up the character 'Shady Salesman".
Y'know, the dude that sells you the RYNO.image

Woah, forgot about him. Definitely a dodgy character. "psst, RYNO for ya robot.... trade ya"

i think anyone who works at Ammunation belongs on that list as well. You're really not gonna even ask for ID before you sell me that rocket launcher and minigun? okay... thats cool. but then again, i guess that's IRRESPONSIBLE merchants, not shady.

also, i know we're supposed to somehow be above our primal instincts or at least pretend we are long enough to suppress them, but every time i watch Top 5, i'm reminded that Lisa Foiles is in my top five of cutest, hottest, coolest, sexiest girls in the anywhere. also on that list is felicia day, so maybe i'm biased towards red heads...

Well, now she definitely has my respect for making Stan #1. I played those games as a kid, and he creeped the hell out of me in that slow, impending-but-invisible-doom sort of way. I remember all of the junk he tried to sell me with my ship, like porthole defoggers and a Tack-o-meter, whatever that is.
And seriously, who buys used coffins? More importantly, who retrieves used coffins?

Strazdas:

DoctorImpossible:
I assume the lack of Kevin is due to his being on vacation in Arruba.

Maybe Kevin is late on his taxes and was busy filing them?

Or perhaps Kevin is actually filing Lisa's taxes for her.

"Damn it, Lisa, you can't deduct a Captain America tank top as a 'business expense'! Now bring me a saucer of milk and some more pens."

The list is without Sidorovich from STALKER

Therefor it is imperfect :P

Silentpony:
Aww man Lisa! Missed it by a mile!

Come on, Bioshock vending machines were creepy as all f*ck! Clowns man...clowns...

Welcome to the Circus of Values!

Winner Winner.. I dreaded hearing those things. UGh, play it late and night and they haunt your dreams. But at least they were consistent in their dealings. SO maybe more Creepy vs. Shady.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here