Why I Hated Resident Evil 4

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Wee need better reviews, everybody knows... Everybody except the 1%. The more excited, the early adopters, the first in line, the hype riders, the opinazi. Problem is, the reviews ARE made for these people. How we solve this? Honestly, I don't know.

You guys know that the point of the article has nothing to do with the quality of resident evil 4 right? This is about the nature of reviews as subjective opinions and how increasingly people are reading reviews to fuel their biases instead of looking for the opinions of the reviewer to see how their experiences might compare to their own in order to conclude whether or not they themselves would find a game enjoyable. Though I suppose the comments here just further prove the point.

Coruptin:
You guys know that the point of the article has nothing to do with the quality of resident evil 4 right? This is about the nature of reviews as subjective opinions and how increasingly people are reading reviews to fuel their biases instead of looking for the opinions of the reviewer to see how their experiences might compare to their own in order to conclude whether or not they themselves would find a game enjoyable. Though I suppose the comments here just further prove the point.

Really? Because to me it reads like some reviewers want to not have their opinions disagreed with. If people don't think your review is good, I have little issue with them voicing that opposition. If you do not want to hear dissenting opinions, shut down or ignore the comment section.

Of course I come from this after being told by fans of a certain reviewer that I'm a piece of shit for disagreeing, or more specifically voicing my disagreement, with his reasoning and ultimately his verdict.

RE 4 on the PS2 launched in an era where online information about a game was abundant. Same could be said about magazines concerning gaming. If you dive head first in, without info and as soon as it launches, you are basically asking for trouble and you should not be surprised when trouble finds you.

I mean, the game first launched on the GC and it was critically acclaimed. That by itself warrants attention. So one should ask himself 'why do people consider it the best thing since sliced bread, why is revolutionary, what makes it differ from previous entries in the franchise'. I have always made it a point to never buy a game without info so the feeling I get from Shamus is that he saw RE on the cover of the game and said 'awesome, bought day 1'. Never bothered himself with info.

No franchise, ANY franchise, should get your money on day 1. That is a horrible mistake and it's what led to such ridiculous notions like early access, pre-order bonuses and collector's editions on games whose worth hasn't even been proved yet (Watch Dogs).

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here