How Cherry City Comic Con Created a Cosplay Crisis Before First Day

Pages PREV 1 2

Nurb:
I'm so sick of this stuff....

The con didn't "CREATE" a controversy, a loud minority of tumblr activists are trying to stir up some trouble.

But no, she can't be questioned because that'd cue the predjudicial claim which makes you a woman hating mysoginist (and probably a rapist). Are people finally starting to see how absurd this hyper-sensitivity and claims of victimization where there are none is getting?

CancelColbert should be pointed out at every opportunity as best example of this sort of craziness affecting a number of sub-cultures.

Tumblr activists didn't stir-up a trouble. A women raised a concern about cosplay on a Facebook page, she got an bad response. Shit went public, and both sides took it badly. Don't skew this as "the evil feminist", running around taunting people, and looking for an excuse to ruin your fun. That's just silly.

Dragonbums:
scantily clad cosplay is not family friendly

Seriously? People wearing, at worst, about the same as most people at a beach or swimming pool, is somehow not family friendly? What the hell is wrong with some people that they're so terrified of a bit of skin?

RossaLincoln:
Someone who expresses concerns about their personal safety after having a conversation that could not possibly even remotely lead anyone to conclude that personal safety will be an issue must be batshit crazy, or in clinical terms paranoid. It's not sexism to point out the batshit craziness of these people. Just stupid if you happen to represent an organization with a financial interest in placating these concerns, regardless of how inane they are.

Very much this. It could be argued that the choice of photos that kicked the whole thing off was sexist, but nothing that was said after that appears to be in any way suggestive of either sexism, or any possible risk to any person or a problem for families. There's plenty of stupidity on display - the organiser of an event openly mocking and insulting customers, encouraging others to join in, and lying and pretending to be other people is never going to be a good idea. But telling a customer they're nuts for wanting a refund is not sexist. Stupid != sexist.

Kajin:
[Puts On Pedantic Hat]
That's not Asexual. Asexual is a person splitting in half down the middle and becoming two identical copies of the same person.
[Takes Off Pedantic Hat]

Perhaps you would prefer a biologist hat? They're quite stylish and made from the finest Archaebacteria.

Gerardo Vazquez:

martyrdrebel27:

[...] Asexuality is one thing i just cannot understand. I don't condemn them at all, don't view them as odd or deviants, i just don't get it. I can see certain arguments for it i guess, but in practice, it just doesn't work. i've spent the last 4 years on and off sleeping with a girl i practically hate because of the power of sex. Is it biological, that they don't have the drive? is it a matter of Gandhi-esque self control? Or did they just do it wrong the first time and hated it and figured that's all it was and never went back and re-examine? (too many "and"s in that sentence.)

It's generally a combination of the first two reasons you listed.

Pretty much, but I would say it leans more towards biology since it's an typically an inherent state of being. It's not dislike or aversion and it doesn't prevent the person from having sex, it just means they're not actively looking for it. It's a null state for sexual desire. It gets more complicated when you factor in emotions, but everything does. Like social media and bad PR management. Full Circle!

Kajin:

[Puts On Pedantic Hat]
That's not Asexual. Asexual is a person splitting in half down the middle and becoming two identical copies of the same person.
[Takes Off Pedantic Hat]

But that would definitely be an interesting conversation starter if one decided he was bored of boring Asexual.

I steal your pedantic hat.

What you've described is cell mitosis, only one form of asexual reproduction, and it does not mean the same thing as asexual/asexuality, being the lack of sexual attraction to others and, typically, abstinence from it.

You can have it back now.

OT: There's not a whole lot I can see on facebook or anything but based on the screenshots... It looks to me like an argument got out of hand, then got dragged through the proverbial streets to exacerbate the situation, ultimately making it worse than it ever had to be, and to no constructive end, and that's the saddest part.

This gossiping, this tattle-telling, this teasing... Whatever happened here, is a lot less "institutional sexism" and a lot more grade school nonsense. I really don't think the sex of parties involved would've made a difference here.

Guys and Gals I cosplay. I've been doing it for years I'm a guy. And there is one thing I want to say that seriously gets on my nerves. Something that is very much true. Lots of conventions that showcase photos of cosplayers focus far more on advertising the female ones over the male ones. If you're a guy unless you have the most elaborate or expensive costume at the con you stand far less of a chance at getting your pics showcased than a woman who has put far less effort into it.

The reason for that is simple, Eye candy, the promoters and site runners want to showcase cheesecake shots of ladies to draw in more male traffic. Usually over just showing the love that both genders have for their fandom and culture in general.

When people bring this up they get attacked. I've been attacked for bringing it up. Hell I've been called sexist for bringing it up when I just want a more equal representation. So trust me I completely understand where she's coming from. And unless you've been there it can be hard to.

Also it's not usually the photographers faults in fact almost never since I know a lot of them personally and at least those tend to photograph just about everyone. They just don't get to choose which ones go up.

So, is there a trend in various relatively-unknown entities garnering extremely negative press for attention these days or is that just my inner conspiracy theorist speaking up? Also, is the amount of sexual harassment in communities actually rising, or is it just being reported on more as the internet gives more and more people an outlet to make these instances known? That's what I'd like to know.

Mezahmay:
So, is there a trend in various relatively-unknown entities garnering extremely negative press for attention these days or is that just my inner conspiracy theorist speaking up? Also, is the amount of sexual harassment in communities actually rising, or is it just being reported on more as the internet gives more and more people an outlet to make these instances known? That's what I'd like to know.

It's gone down a whole lot. Trust me. It used to be bad enough to simply not go to conventions without chaperones. It's just a lot more public now because of internet coverage.

Winnosh:
It's gone down a whole lot. Trust me. It used to be bad enough to simply not go to conventions without chaperones. It's just a lot more public now because of internet coverage.

I figured as much. It seemed more likely to me that increased reporting of sexual harassment by concerned, vocal individuals or groups than the community itself getting worse. I would not put it past a community largely held together through the internet to get more exclusive over time, but I did not get that impression from conventions. In real life, the anonymity goes away and forces people to behave themselves more than they would through a forum or comments section.

Mezahmay:

Winnosh:

I figured as much. It seemed more likely to me that increased reporting of sexual harassment by concerned, vocal individuals or groups than the community itself getting worse. I would not put it past a community largely held together through the internet to get more exclusive over time, but I did not get that impression from conventions. In real life, the anonymity goes away and forces people to behave themselves more than they would through a forum or comments section.

Convention promoters a lot of times still feel they need something sexy to draw in people when just as many guys are interested in good MALE cosplay as they are the sexy ladies. That's a mentality that needs to change.

Kahani:

Seriously? People wearing, at worst, about the same as most people at a beach or swimming pool, is somehow not family friendly? What the hell is wrong with some people that they're so terrified of a bit of skin?

If your fine with taking your kid out to a con with a decent amount of sexually provocative cosplayers than fine by me. But don't expect a good majority of parents to be fine with that.

MinionJoe:

Instead, the guy panicked, drew the ire of feminist groups, and this is the result.

I'm definitely siding with Thunderf00t's general opinion on the this occurrence.

Really? You just stated that he could of simply said "We will try to find more male cosplayers but for now this is all we have"

The issue then really started to blow up when the guy had the audacity to make public a private email of said dissatisfied customer who simply asked for a refund because she didn't appreciate the way she was talked to.

I actually find it funny that it's still feminist ire when the women in question was asking for more male representation in the cosplay group photos. Also note that their wear had nothing to do with it either.

Dragonbums:

I actually find it funny that it's still feminist ire when the women in question was asking for more male representation in the cosplay group photos. Also note that their wear had nothing to do with it either.

I find it funny that when a new convention organizer completely botches a customer inquiry he's then immediately labelled as "sexist" by internet activists because the customer in question happened to be a woman.

MinionJoe:

Dragonbums:

I find it funny that when a new convention organizer completely botches a customer inquiry he's then immediately labelled as "sexist" by internet activists because the customer in question happened to be a woman.

Except that he started it first when he then went on to say "Start a sexy men's cosplay club" to one of the customers when the women in question didn't even bring up the sexiness of the male cosplayers and that obviously spiraled into what it is now.

This is not to mention that he put her PM on his public facebook page and various people from his friend's list started calling her names like Crazy Bitch and all sorts of fun hat stuff.

Dragonbums:

Kahani:

If your fine with taking your kid out to a con with a decent amount of sexually provocative cosplayers than fine by me. But don't expect a good majority of parents to be fine with that.

You appear to have missed the important point - why the hell not? Are parents terrified of taking their children to the beach because they might see someone in a bikini? If not, what exactly is so bad about seeing people who are almost all wearing significantly more than that?

Dragonbums:

Except that he started it first when he then went on to say "Start a sexy men's cosplay club" to one of the customers when the women in question didn't even bring up the sexiness of the male cosplayers and that obviously spiraled into what it is now.

After the customer commented "you'd think only women cos-play" despite there being photos of men cosplayers on the site.

Organizer then draws some weird conclusions and feels the need to state that "attractiveness was not a criteria" before posting the "cos-plays".

Customer then draws equally weird conclusions about the convention (website?) being a "mens club page".

It's clearly an issue of failure to communicate and each side having unfounded assumptions about each other.

Doesn't mean either side is "sexist", especially not just because the other side claims so.

Kahani:

Dragonbums:

Kahani:

You appear to have missed the important point - why the hell not? Are parents terrified of taking their children to the beach because they might see someone in a bikini? If not, what exactly is so bad about seeing people who are almost all wearing significantly more than that?

Because at that point the bikini has been normalized as regular swim wear. Granted parents also have the choice of going there where there aren't many people around, or they can isolate themselves to a private part of the beach where the chances of running into those people are at minimum. Not to mention most beaches don't advertise themselves as family friendly.

However this convention is advertising itself as a family friendly convention. Things like that entails clothing that is not provocative or sensual. And certainly doesn't really include scantily clad cosplayers.

Situations like this make me feel that I'm at the mercy of Tumblr, or, more relevantly, feminist groups I'd have the misfortune in bumping into.

Post something lewd? Feminists want my blood.

Post something practical? Nerds want my blood.

Post something practically lewd? No one gives a shit.

MinionJoe:

After the customer commented "you'd think only women cos-play" despite there being photos of men cosplayers on the site.

Which she literally addressed in the next post that the ratio of male to female cosplayers was heavily skewed to the female side than the males. You even have a male cosplayer on here talking about how sad it is seeing as how they work just as hard on cosplay as the women and unless it's professional level quality they almost never get featured.

Organizer then draws some weird conclusions and feels the need to state that "attractiveness was not a criteria" before posting the "cos-plays".

Which is entirely his fault because as you just stated the women in question never brought up the attractiveness of the cosplayers in the first place.

Customer then draws equally weird conclusions about the convention (website?) being a "mens club page".

Not exactly. Since the OP stated that attractiveness may have been one of the reasons why there were more female cosplayers in the group than male cosplayers it wouldn't be unlikely to detract that the convention is more catered towards men for the eye candy grab.

It's clearly an issue of failure to communicate and each side having unfounded assumptions about each other.

Doesn't mean either side is "sexist", especially not just because the other side claims so.

No it doesn't. But you can't deny the situation would never of blown up like it did had the man had the decency to not post a private message politely asking for a refund due to the way she was treated on his public Facebook profile for his friends to tear her apart. An incident that caught the attention of another user who is very well known within the feminist community.

As someone who goes to conventions it really does seem like 75% of cosplayers are women from what I can tell; and a good 50% of them are dressed in things people wouldn't consider "family friendly". Especially since it's legal for women to go topless in public here.

Mezahmay:

I think it's a matter of people not remaining silent about it any longer. Similar to how, when sexual harassment became something people talked about publicly. It's not that all of a sudden everyone in the workplace got seriously harrassy, it's that there'd always been this big problem but now people were finally calling it out. The increased attention can make it seem like it's getting worse, but it's actually getting better, if that makes sense, even though, of course, it's still a problem.

Dragonbums:
However this convention is advertising itself as a family friendly convention. Things like that entails clothing that is not provocative or sensual. And certainly doesn't really include scantily clad cosplayers.

You're still not answering the question - why not? What exactly do you find so terrible about a bit of skin, in particular those bits of skin that are entirely legal to show and frequently seen in many public areas, that you think children should be prevented from seeing it at all costs? The idea that a few skimpy costumes mean a place is suddenly not appropriate for families at all is utterly ridiculous.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here