Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Cel-Shaded Games

Pages PREV 1 2

What? no Guise of the wolf?
For shame!

Silentpony:
Okay so no Strong Bad's Cool Game 4 Attractive People? Or Conker's Bad Fur Day?! Or Killer-7? Or 13?
But then again, i never liked cel-shaded. It does look too toony and I just file those games in the same place I do the 80s GI Joe and Scooby Doo.
I mean like Lisa said, serious graphic games do get crappier over time, but in my opinion cel-shaded looked crappy from the start. Yes these games still looks as good as when they first came out, but they looked like shit when they first came out!

Pretty sure Conker's ISN'T cel-shaded so it doesn't count. SBCG4AP doesn't look that good to be honest(graphically anyway). And I guess Killer 7 and 13 were just too rough looking compared to the rest of the top five.

OT: I knew Okami was gonna be in that list, I would have had choice words to say if it wasn't but number 1? Yay!

leviadragon99:
Wait, NMH is cell-shaded? I mean it has a very cool look, but it's not what I think of when I hear cell-shading... guess it's a little subtler in that regard?

Yeah, NMH is clearly cel-shaded. You can tell from the thick outiines on the character models.

Blood Brain Barrier:

shiajun:
Considering it's made to look like watercolors, drawings or other painting techniques I have no idea how it wouldn't look fake or artificial. I happen to agree with Lisa, cel-shading actually makes the art withstand the test of time much better than other graphic options.

Uhh.. yeah. Totally alike.

Putting aside that the idea of linking painting techniques with graphics is more than a bit silly, they couldn't be more different. One has thick lines surrounding well-defined objects with fine detail. The other features vague detail with parts blending and transitioning into one another and more attention to the scene as a whole than individual objects.

Uumm...we can play that game all day and post pictures that look nothing alike. See, quick google search and I found a watercolor paiting that looks quite close to the art style in Okami:

or another with well-defined and filled-in shapes.

The whole point is that cel-shading does not even remotely attempt to look real, but closer to drawing or painting something by hand rather than realistic 3D rendering. The thick outline is not required to use cel-shading, it's just added to give it that comic-book look, and it's a design choice.

For the record, El-Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron is something I think Another World would look like graphically on cel-shading. Not as extravagant, but in the detail and choice of colors. The backgrounds are not cel-shaded, but the characters are.

No Freedom Force on the list?
Lisa, I'm dissapoint!

RealRT:

Strazdas:

RealRT:
Something is obviously wrong with your eyes, cel-shading looks great.

or he just has a different opinion, you know. i for one think cell shading needs to be used very delicately not to look awful and majority of games fail at it (including borderlands). None of the games shown in this weeks video look good.

Jet Set Radio doesn't look good?
Something's wrong with your eyes too.

so our eyes are wrong because we like different things? well im glad your not in any position to judge then.

Blood Brain Barrier:

floppylobster:

Blood Brain Barrier:
Cel shading looks awful, always has always will. The only game that looks passable there is the Zelda one. I haven't played it but I would if I owned the console. Developers, please stop making cel-shade games.

Says the guy with an avatar from a rotoscoped game.

I don't know what rotoscoping is, I'm just talking about appearances. Another World looks terrific.

I don't know if it's about technology or style, all I know is all cell-shaded games I've seen look artificial, fake, cheap. Windwaker shows some promise but not much. Which makes me think the technology is at fault. Show me a Cell-Shaded game that looks as good as Another World and I'll change my mind.

Another World does look terrific (I own the original and the rarer sequel). Wind Waker looks terrific too. Two of my favourite games of all time.

As someone else pointed out, rotoscoping was the cel-shading of its day. And it gives the game its timeless appeal. Not that many developers make cel-shaded games so I think asking developers to stop making them is a little premature. They have their place.

As for games that look as good as Wind Waker. I'd try Jet Grind Radio. The original, not the Xbox one. Or Okami.

The great thing about Wind Waker is the way it allowed for so much expression in Link's face using his eyes. Skyward Sword shows cel-shading can be used to explore all sorts of arts styles so don't write it off too soon. Like all art styles it's still evolving. I'm just suprised you can appreciate Another World but not something like Jet Set Radio. Try Wind Waker though. It's worth it. Not only does it look great but you'll understand how an art style can be integrated in a game and make the game better because of it.

Strazdas:

RealRT:

Strazdas:

or he just has a different opinion, you know. i for one think cell shading needs to be used very delicately not to look awful and majority of games fail at it (including borderlands). None of the games shown in this weeks video look good.

so our eyes are wrong because we like different things? well im glad your not in any position to judge then.

If you don't like how Jet Set Radio looks, then you basically don't like how cell shading looks. JSR is pretty much the epitome of proper cell shading.

Olas:

Strazdas:

RealRT:

If you don't like how Jet Set Radio looks, then you basically don't like how cell shading looks. JSR is pretty much the epitome of proper cell shading.

i said i dont like how cell shading looks from the very start, however that guy things im diseased becuase i have different likes than him.

There are some cel-shaded games that I think look great, but I kinda disagree with the initial statement that cel-shading can make games "better". It can make them look better, but a gorgeous game with terrible gameplay is still a terrible game.

(/cough South Park: Stick of Truth /cough)

I love cel-shaded game art. I guess Fear Effect for the PS1 was the first game with that particular style that I played.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here