Escape to the Movies: Godzilla - Breaking Kaiju

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I was seriously underwhelmed by this movie. Cut out the white bread family stuff, and let's have the monsters fight in daylight next time, pretty please. My advice: Wait till it runs on TV.

So, wait for it to come out on Netflix and then just skip to the last half hour or so? Unfortunate but oh well. Maybe there will be a sequel that uses Ken Wantanabe's character more (that's just me guessing since I don't know if his character survives the film).

Cranston is under-used? I can live with that, I mean I've loved him in just about everything I've seen him in, but I grew up with Malcolm in the Middle, so he always gets bonus points for nostalgia from me whenever I see him. But whatever bonus points I'd give this movie by pure virtue of the fact that it has Godzilla in it goes out the window if Godzilla isn't actually in it.

The review seems fair, as always, but I'm skeptical about going to the theater to see this now. I'm a big enough Godzilla fan to get into the idea of a movie about Godzilla just showing up to trash some monsters and metropolitan areas, but I was kind of hoping for something that was more of a throw-back to the original Gojira.

I've been debating on seeing this or Neighbors, and while this is more of a big-screen kind of film, I'm getting the impression that Neighbors will be more worth my money.

tmande2nd:
So just wait for a fan cut that cuts out all the human parts then?

Sounds good.

I still think it will be the most disappointing 8-12 minutes of your life.

Also, how come they didn't use any of Godzilla's iconic music?

This is a big dumb monster movie, the parts with the monster you have fun watching them wreck stuff and the parts with the people you have fun laughing a how dumb they are, how bad the movies fact checkers are, or just laughing a the WTF was the point of that scenes. And Godzilla is not fighting for the humans he barely even realizes that they exist he just kills to make sure he stays the top of the food chain.

Bob just hates everything.*this is sarcasm for those who don't get the joke*

Undoubtedly there will be a sequel to this, especially if it makes a ton.

Haven't seen it yet but i work at a cinema and it's been SOOOOOO busy. So yeh, Hopefully more of Godzilla will be shown in a sequel if they make one.

Also wouldn't him siding with humans be a nice little nod to that cartoon in the 80's? where monsters would attack and a kid called him using a....watch? or am i thinking of something completely different?

I don't know if it's just because I've watched one too many movies, but nowadays I just can't stand the "Soldier guy/family" pandering, I know most movies have the US as their main demographic but it's just so dull.

Almost exactly like how every movie that has a "foreign" term feels like explaining it every time they mention it cuz 'merica.

I happened to watch 47 ronin a few days ago and every time they said something like "Ronin" or "Seppukku" they added the meaning right after it and I couldn't keep myself from thinking "OH COME ON! they can't actually be THAT stupid", which was even worse since they explained "Ronin" right at the beginning.

I have a feeling that this movie is going to become absolutely hated due the misleading ad campaign alone. The movie they were selling looked a lot more interesting than the one Bob is talking about here.

I knew this was looking too good to be true.

tdylan:

medv4380:
Sounds like a classic Godzilla flic. He never gets much screen time until the End, and that's usually just for the fight. The Human story has always been on one side of crazy. Most of the build up is for who he's going to fight, and not him.

Really, had the 98 Godzilla been just as bad as it is, but had a real Godzilla it would have gotten a pass. The Sin of 98 was that it wasn't Godzilla. It was a monster Godzilla eats for breakfast.

As for motivation it's actually fairly simple. Why did the Wolves kill the Coyotes in Yellowstone? They didn't eat them. The Coyotes aren't a real threat. They just brutally murdered the coyotes. However, the Coyotes are a real predator that is in its territory. That's all the reason the Wolves needed. The same question can be posed as Why do we bother to kill Wolves? Whatever answer you give is why Godzilla goes after other monsters that show up. If you don't understand, or can't give a real answer then you fail to understand humans, and other predators. It's assumed that being human would mean that you'd know this, but that's not always the case I guess.

I didn't know about the wolves vs coyotes thing, but I'll give you that. That said, how does that work with regard to this film? Godzilla sees them as predators in his territory. Okay. What does Godzilla prey upon? After the wolves killed the coyotes, did they go back to their dens and fall asleep? The wolves themselves continued to hunt their prey, yes? And the wolves didn't migrated to Yellowstone because "coyotes are there. we need to kill them," right? Godzilla should have been stomping around doing Godzilla stuff until these guys showed up, and then went all "wolf on their coyote." I mean, tell me if I'm wrong. Was Godzilla in hibernation during the movie, and had to be "woken up?" If so, how was he "put back to sleep?"

Unfortunately most of this is fluid since the cannon keeps changing across 4 reboots 5 if you count the failed 98 attempt, which I don't. And usually details like Diet are completely ignored.

In the Godzilla 1985 set it was established that he eats the same things the MUTO do. Radiation, which is why he kept attacking Japan. In the 50's Japan was the closest spot from the Ocean to detect radiation from our A-Bomb's from WWII. New Mexico was much further inland so fit well with the explanation. Then in the 85 set Japan had the largest concentration of nuclear reactors, and made a good reason for him to home in on them. Kinda like a shark that is attacked to radiation. Don't ask why they do it, but that is the reason Sharks eat Submarine radio equipment. Until WWII the only accessible hot spots of radiation were underground, and at the bottom of the ocean. It has only ever been painted as an assumption that he was asleep of millions of years. He could easily have been feeding on underwater volcanos that are fueled by uranium deposits.

Now if you accept that he eats radiation it's simple to explain why he hadn't been doing much since 1954. They had been feeding him a steady diet of nukes from our underwater attempts at killing him. (revealed by the trailer so not a spoiler). Most of this movie is based off of a 15 year cover up of the MUTO, but how do you do that unless you have experience at covering up Godzilla for the last 50 years which the nuke "tests" were coverups for nuke attacks against him. All the Tsunamis, Earth Quakes, and Hurricanes are mostly Godzilla Cover-ups, or whatever you choose to believe. Since in 2014 they're using government coverup as a plot device you're left with not knowing what is true and isn't true about the past.

In the case of attacking the muto it's similar to the Wolf and the Coyote. The most Scientist have been able to figure out is that the Wolf will make a kill and the pack will feast. The pack will then leave the rest and start to move on. If the coyote comes anywhere near that dead abandoned feast and is spotted by the Wolves they will hunt it down, and brutally murder it. If the wolves were still feeding it would make sense, but the coyote's stay away as long as they see the wolves nearby, and it's only when the Wolves abandon the food that it becomes a problem since the coyotes then think it's safe to come in. They'll even leave the mutilated coyote out easy for any other coyote's to spot. Kinda like putting a head on a pike as a warning to any others that come by. It's weird irrational human like behavior. They'll then just go back to their normal patrol pattern. Godzilla just happens to be big enough to consider most of the Earth as his territory.

He knows were they're at because he hunts radiation like a shark, and they're eating stuff that he considers food he's not interested in eating at the moment if ever. Doesn't matter to him that he might not eat it right now like the Wolf pack that's abandoned a carcass and moved on to better things. It's his, it's in his territory, it's food that's his that he'll never eat, and if any other monster gets near it he'll hunt them down and murder them as an example. We're more like ants that are just in the way. Assuming that Godzilla is "helping" is classic human assumptions in a godzilla film. Best Godzilla ending ever is a little girls saying "He Loves Us" followed by him in the middle of the city starting to burn it down to the ground in a circle leaving nothing left. Not even the little girl saying "He Loves Us" survives.

My main problem is how does this conspiracy actually work. Size and scale are the usual weakness of any conspiracy, but if you're accepting the 1954 origin you're not left with much else to explain why the world at large is ignorant of giant monsters.

Man, Bob, you've really gotten me on a downer with your review. I was so looking forward to this, I think for essentially the same reasons you were - 21st century kaiju fights on the big screen FTW - but without having yet seen the movie I can already absolutely appreciate your criticisms.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson; I don't know what it is about him but, even having (I think - he's just so unremarkable - a bit like *cough* Andrew Garfield) only seen him in the Kick Ass movies, I just don't think he's a good actor. I definitely wouldn't count myself as particularly knowledgable about what actually makes a good actor and as such I rarely make such declarations. I too am now somewhat worried about Avengers 2. Oh man I can't believe Ultron has both 'TJ' and Elizabeth Olsen.

Awesome. About a year from now when this is on several movie channels or on demand, I'll just catch this one from about the 3/4's point and go from there. In the mean time it sounds like I have to dig out my copy of Final Wars...or shop for something different like Vs Biolante...

medv4380:
Now if you accept that he eats radiation it's simple to explain why he hadn't been doing much since 1954. They had been feeding him a steady diet of nukes from our underwater attempts at killing him. (revealed by the trailer so not a spoiler). Most of this movie is based off of a 15 year cover up of the MUTO, but how do you do that unless you have experience at covering up Godzilla for the last 50 years which the nuke "tests" were coverups for nuke attacks against him. All the Tsunamis, Earth Quakes, and Hurricanes are mostly Godzilla Cover-ups, or whatever you choose to believe. Since in 2014 they're using government coverup as a plot device you're left with not knowing what is true and isn't true about the past.

In the case of attacking the muto it's similar to the Wolf and the Coyote. The most Scientist have been able to figure out is that the Wolf will make a kill and the pack will feast. The pack will then leave the rest and start to move on. If the coyote comes anywhere near that dead abandoned feast and is spotted by the Wolves they will hunt it down, and brutally murder it. If the wolves were still feeding it would make sense, but the coyote's stay away as long as they see the wolves nearby, and it's only when the Wolves abandon the food that it becomes a problem since the coyotes then think it's safe to come in. They'll even leave the mutilated coyote out easy for any other coyote's to spot. Kinda like putting a head on a pike as a warning to any others that come by. It's weird irrational human like behavior. They'll then just go back to their normal patrol pattern. Godzilla just happens to be big enough to consider most of the Earth as his territory.

He knows were they're at because he hunts radiation like a shark, and they're eating stuff that he considers food he's not interested in eating at the moment if ever. Doesn't matter to him that he might not eat it right now like the Wolf pack that's abandoned a carcass and moved on to better things. It's his, it's in his territory, it's food that's his that he'll never eat, and if any other monster gets near it he'll hunt them down and murder them as an example. We're more like ants that are just in the way. Assuming that Godzilla is "helping" is classic human assumptions in a godzilla film. Best Godzilla ending ever is a little girls saying "He Loves Us" followed by him in the middle of the city starting to burn it down to the ground in a circle leaving nothing left. Not even the little girl saying "He Loves Us" survives.

My main problem is how does this conspiracy actually work. Size and scale are the usual weakness of any conspiracy, but if you're accepting the 1954 origin you're not left with much else to explain why the world at large is ignorant of giant monsters.

In this move the it seemed much more like the radiation originally woke him up and the US started Nuking him so he was active for a while when they stopped and he did not find any threats he just hung out in the bottom of the Pacific doing nothing for 60 years until he notices the MUTOs are active and since MUTO type creatures have killed a Godzilla type creature before he sees them as a threat and hunts them and kills them. Once he is done he takes a nap in the city and then lumbers back into the ocean.

I've just seen this movie and I can't make up my mind about it. Either it's a MASTERPIECE, or it's the dumbest film you've seen in recent years. Case in point, there's one scene in which a soldier looks through binoculars and it takes him a while to actually see a monster which should've been perfectly visible on a sunny desert day with the naked eye because it basically filled most of the horizon. Nothing nothing nothing, wait a second TADAAA OMG!!!!! Is this a wink-wink-nudge-nudge tribute to the stupidity of the old classics, or is it the dumbest moment in Hollywood history? At one point I stopped counting these funny silly plot points. Seriously, if you can't spot them, uhmmm... I have bad news for your IQ. The question is, were these moments intentional (INCLUDING all of Bob's complaints) or is the movie just plain bad? The movie doesn't just take it's sweet damn time to deliver the goods, it literally spits in your face a few times by simply not showing entire cities being destroyed, because f__k you that's why. The "hero" is so silly that he can't even do the ONE THING he is supposed to do (he disarms bombs for a living!) because of a glass panel that he locked himself. Sometimes the plot just doesn't make any sense, for example, where would you place a nuclear bomb? Outside San Francisco in open water? Or in the middle of Oakland Bay just beyond that famous bridge full of tanks and school buses filled with children because f__k you that's why. Oh yes, the enemy has EMP but let's send our best fighters to fly around just for fun. In fact the only out of place moments in the sea of WTFs are the surreal Halo jump and the actual monster fights (I said FIGHTS, not simply Godzilla yelling a few times at the beginning). The Halo jump in particular (as seen in the trailer) is a piece of movie art that will make you puke rainbows. It's up there with the moments of 2001 from which it takes the music, it's that freakin good!!!! Would the movie have been better by sticking to that gritty surreal awesomeness? Maybe. The first version of Godzilla had more in common with Cloverfield's horror take. But would it really be a Godzilla movie without sharing some of the stupidity of the later Godzilla movies? Hmm....
All in all, I had an awesome time in the theater. Go see it, spot the hilarity of how radiation works or how a train can catch fire by being hit (but not derailed) thy the Airforce keeps sending planes against an EMP able foe. etc.etc.etc. and see if you can have fun.

karamazovnew:
All in all, I had an awesome time in the theater. Go see it, spot the hilarity of how radiation works or how a train can catch fire by being hit (but not derailed) thy the Airforce keeps sending planes against an EMP able foe. etc.etc.etc. and see if you can have fun.

They learn to deal with the EMP for some things, Clockwork Nuke.
In the end does it matter if all the hilariously dumb stuff was on purpose or not? Its still fun no matter the intent.

But there are waaaaaaaaay too many superhero movies, with even more to come.

wyldefire:
I'm still seeing this, but god almighty, why pay for Brian Cranston and Ken Watanabe and then have them not be the center of the film?

I'm generally pissed about this. I thought 'well, even if they do focus on the humans like so many other monster movies, at least it's Ken Watanabe and that Breaking Bad dude', finding out that his freaking son is the main character is a massive kick to the hype-nads...

I saw the movie just now.. and I loved it.

I still think Bob hates white people. Also American Godzilla film has awesome effects would be the highlight of the film, who would have guessed.

Wow Bob, that may be a fair review (not seen the film), but your aside in the middle makes you come of as even smugger then the other critics you're bitching about. Surely as a critic you should be celebrating the fact that there are discussions about pacing and suspense when Hollywood is suffering from a terrible case of premature ejaculation. The fact that this film seems to end up wasting the opportunity is beside the point. I'd much rather a film try and fail then go the boring simple route.

Ralancian:

Andrew Siribohdi:
I think you're fair in this review, especially since you make the comparison to Jaws so we understand where you're coming from.

Also, I'm hearing a lot about this old-guard critics vs. geek critics a lot from you lately. Has this become an actual problem?

Only in Bob's mind basically he's getting more up himself and it's been especially prevelant in recent weeks. He's entitled to his opinion but I wish he'd review the damn film and not try to bear grudges on films or now other critics instead of giving his opinion. It's why I listen to Bob for 5 minutes every week and I listen to this man.

For 2 hours because whilst both have strong opinions which I don't always agree with the old school critic tries to review the damn film without any baggage.

Seriously Bob I want to listen about the film that stuff is good but I don't care that you disagree with other critics or you need to take another dig at Spider-Man (this years whipping boy it seams after Man of Steel, Green Lantern and oh I loose track).

I fully agree. While I accept that its impossible to be fully objective about a film, at least the "Old Guard" can argue their points and agree to disagree instead of the attitude of "I'm right, you're wrong". Dr Kermode (guy in the picture for those who don't know who he is) did a blog about this last week. (Available here)

Darknacht:
This is a big dumb monster movie, the parts with the monster you have fun watching them wreck stuff and the parts with the people you have fun laughing a how dumb they are, how bad the movies fact checkers are, or just laughing a the WTF was the point of that scenes. And Godzilla is not fighting for the humans he barely even realizes that they exist he just kills to make sure he stays the top of the food chain. Bob just hates everything.

I don't understand what sense that's supposed to make. Yes, Godzilla is a big dumb action movie, but how does that in any way deflect Bob's criticisms? Bob doesn't dislike the movie, because it's big or dumb, but because the characters are generic and boring, yes "boring", something an action movie should never be. Apparently as long as there are fight scenes, and explosions in a movie, you aren't allowed to dislike it or criticize it in any way, or else you just "hate everything".

Gerardo Vazquez:

Darknacht:
This is a big dumb monster movie, the parts with the monster you have fun watching them wreck stuff and the parts with the people you have fun laughing a how dumb they are, how bad the movies fact checkers are, or just laughing a the WTF was the point of that scenes. And Godzilla is not fighting for the humans he barely even realizes that they exist he just kills to make sure he stays the top of the food chain. Bob just hates everything.

I don't understand what sense that's supposed to make. Yes, Godzilla is a big dumb action movie, but how does that in any way deflect Bob's criticisms? Bob doesn't dislike the movie, because it's big or dumb, but because the characters are generic and boring, yes "boring", something an action movie should never be. Apparently as long as there are fight scenes, and explosions in a movie, you aren't allowed to dislike it or criticize it in any way, or else you just "hate everything".

He found them boring I found the so dumb they are funny, and the Bob hates everything comment was a joke. If you read all of my comment you would have seen that I mentioned far more that was enjoyable than the fight scenes. And the characters while archetypes are not portrayed how they typically are in big dumb action movies, at least not most American ones, the humans, particularly the military, come off basically as comic relief, tipping over their own feet, creating more problems than they ever solve, and and when told that radiation feed the monsters and they see the monsters eating nukes, they ask the expert if their blow it up with a nuke plan will work and the expert says 'no it will make them stronger' they somehow interpret that as 'yes nukes will stop them'.

Remember that nuke at the end?

I seriously don't know what they were thinking with the nuke...

Edit: Whoops, wrong button

Draconalis:

Remember when the military said that these nukes would work because they where way bigger that the ones used at Bikini Atoll? The ones used it those tests went up to 15 megatons.

Darknacht:

Draconalis:

Remember when the military said that these nukes would work because they where way bigger that the ones used at Bikini Atoll? The ones used it those tests went up to 15 megatons.

So... even more of San Fransisco and the west cost died?

I don't quite get your point.

Trishbot:

longjones:

tdylan:

What? Do you think Batman should be like, some kinda..."ninja" or something, with a smaller, more mobile and lightweight costume that allows for speed, flexibility, maneuverability and cunning, as opposed to "I'm here to beat down everyone in the room" body armor? Pssh! Where ever would you get an idea like that.

No. But I don't think that armor should depict a naked man.

That's because it's not really armor.

That's all Affleck under there. Sort of like how more agile characters like Spider-man and Captain America don't run around in 100 lbs of kevlar.

OT: Who would imagine that the best part of a Godzilla film is Godzilla, and that when Godzilla isn't around we're all waiting for Godzilla to show back up again.

I'll give it this: no way can it be worse than the LAST Hollywood Godzilla film.

I've figured out how to make the last Hollywood Godzilla movie infinitely more watchable.
Step 1 stop thinking of it as a Godzilla movie
Step 2 start thinking of it as a remake of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms.
It actually isn't half bad if you think of it that way. In fact looking at it, I am left with the feeling that it was originally intended to be a Beast movie, but they just grabbed the script and scrawled in Godzilla when the rights became available. Seriously go watch it and then watch Beast. They line up far better than it does with any even vague concept of Any Godzilla movie.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD so I can skip to the good part... Either that or just watch more Pacific Rim which goes straight into the good part from the first minute...

I really do hope that Pacific Rim 2 does not get bogged down with Forced Romantic/Family Interest (FRI/FFI) syndrome. It only works when the interest is not a deus ex machina plot device.

Draconalis:

Darknacht:

Draconalis:

So... even more of San Fransisco and the west cost died?

I don't quite get your point.

Thats the point, the military detonates a clockwork nuke that is one of the largest nuclear bombs they have ever blown up, if not the largest, for absolutely no reason and kills more people than the 3 Kaiju. Oh and that was only half the plan they wanted to blow up two of the warheads.

Darknacht:
Thats the point, the military detonates a clockwork nuke that is one of the largest nuclear bombs they have ever blown up, if not the largest, for absolutely no reason and kills more people than the 3 Kaiju. Oh and that was only half the plan they wanted to blow up two of the warheads.

Ah, I thought you were somehow defending their stupid... stupid plan.

But it's okay! In magic movie world... no one dies from fallout!

Draconalis:

Darknacht:

Ah, I thought you were somehow defending their stupid... stupid plan.

But it's okay! In magic movie world... no one dies from fallout!

Maybe Godzilla eats all the radiation, after all the MUTO absorbed so much radiation in the beginning that there was not even background radiation.

Bob, you've been spoiled with that other film you referenced. Sure, Brian Cranston was giving a good performance in the first part of the film and yes, Aaron Taylor-Johnson isn't good in this.

So this film gets a 3 and a half out of 5 stars from me.

I knew the human relationships were going to be Bob's complaint about 20 minutes in, and I couldn't agree more. Cranston's character and Serizawa and his assistant were the only characters I ever wanted to know more about. I wanted to know more about Cranston's background--how did he as an American come to be one of the lead scientists at a Japanese nuclear power plan, how does he feel about living in Japan, who were those other people he teamed up with when going to the quarantine zone, what are their motivations, is there some kind of huge underground network of people trying to expose the truth of what happened that day (who aren't associated with or aware of Serizawa's organization)? I'm aware he explained it was a fisherman who attached the things to the boyies which allowed him to hear the MUTO's call, but I sort of felt like he was also hinting that he was working with other scientists as well.

And Serizawa and his assistant seemed to have something going on--not romantically, but at one point she called him sensei, which suggests she looks to him as a teacher or mentor. What is their relationship, how long has she been studying with him, did she also lose somebody in the nuclear plant disaster? And about Serizawa, how did he get ahold of his father's pocket watch, did he have much to do with forming that organization that was watching the MUTO at the nuclear plant, does he have a family, does anyone else within his own organization feel the same about Godzilla's reason for existence?

Every other character who wasn't them was just absolutely grating. The main character "Ford Brody," which is a name so painfully American it makes me ashamed to be an American, is so bland and emotionless he makes Kristen Stewart look like Tim Curry. And I'm not even exaggerating--Kristen Stewart's facial contortions might be pathetic, but at least she TRIES to contort her face. This guy just straight up left all his facial muscles at home. The wife and kid are loaded down with so much cliched, foreshadowing dialog every scene they're in feels like a parody of disaster movie families. "You're going to be here in the morning, aren't you dad?" "We'll still be here, it's not like the world's going to end." Uuuuugh.

And speaking of the kids, none of the kids in the movie actually BEHAVED like kids. Every kid that has any screen time seems to be under heavy sedation, all they do is stare blankly at things. Brody's kid barely reacts to seeing him after coming back from spending 14 months overseas, barely reacts when he's separated from his mom, barely reacts when seeing the monster both on TV and in real-life, and barely reacts to being reunited with his dad. The girl in Hawaii who sees the tsunami coming does that "kid walks away from their parents because they see something none of the adults see" cliche and doesn't react any more than saying "Dad...?" in a cautious way, even as the water comes rushing in. The kid Brody saves on the monorail in Hawaii doesn't seem to be terribly bothered after being separated from his parents, nearly killed by falling out of a monorail car, and being accompanied by a stranger through an exploding and flooding city full of hurt, screaming people. The only time I can recall kids actually behaving like kids is when the bus driver on the Golden Gate bridge is having to tell the kids on the bus to quiet down so he can hear what the military officers are telling him, because at that point they aren't terrified yet, they're kind of excited and bouncing off the walls.

Then I couldn't help but go all CinemaSins on a few of the details in the story. Why were the battleships and aircraft carriers following Godzilla so CLOSELY? They could have easily been capsized if Godzilla decided to raise his head up while they were on the open sea, and then they actually WERE capsized when he rose up with them right on top of him in San Francisco Bay. What were they expecting, for Godzilla to feel a few toy-sized boats overhead and go "Oops, guess I'm stuck in the water here, these little floaty things are in my way." And how in the HELL were any of those nukes able to function after being broken-up and manhandled by the MUTOs? How the flying fuck did the dog that was tied by a leash to a palm tree in Hawaii able to break his leash and outrun the tsunami when it clearly shows on screen that the water made contact with him WHILE he was still tied to the tree? Even if the force of the water broke the leash without killing him, he would have been swept up in the water and wouldn't have been able to run ahead of the wave. And gee, it sure was smart of them to send Brody--the only guy left alive in the ENTIRE MILITARY who knows how to arm or disarm a nuke--with the nuke as it slowly trundled across the west on a freaking train car that they KNOW will be a huge target for the MUTOs. If they only needed him to arm or disarm it, then why didn't they safely fly him to the nuke's final destination and let the more expendable soldiers handle the escort?

Bob said he was left wanting to see a story that's more about Serizawa's disagreement with the military on how to handle Godzilla. Well, I was left wanting to see a story that was more about several different groups of people all working together to get their plan going. Instead of having one character that's involved with EVERY SINGLE task from start to finish, have several teams of different people doing different things which all come together to save the day. They never even have to meet or know each other on a personal level, at least not until the finale. But to me, seeing different people doing different things but all striving toward the same goal and having their efforts converge into something that's greater than any of them could have done alone is a LOT more satisfying than seeing ONE person get deus-ex-machina'd through a story which was carefully crafted to make sure they are the ONLY ONE that could EVER have done ANYTHING that needed to get done to make the mission a success.

Saw Godzilla last night and I gotta say I loved the parts with Godzilla but the parts without him were just boring. It's a Godzilla film, I don't care about the human element or what their stories are. All I care about is seeing Godzilla fighting other monsters. Since there will most likely be a sequel they need to have Guillermo Del Toro direct it. So far he seems like one of the few directors that can actually pull off a really good Kaiju film.

Lilani:
ONE person get deus-ex-machina'd through a story which was carefully crafted to make sure they are the ONLY ONE that could EVER have done ANYTHING that needed to get done to make the mission a success.

In what way was the mission a success? If they pulled off some great plan that saved the day it would have made since to have lots of different groups all working together, but this was the story of one mostly useless guy floating through the disaster watching/helping the military be useless/mess stuff up, then decide to light a fire, the one useful thing he did, and go back to being useless.

Bat Vader:
It's a Godzilla film

Thats why there is a large focus on the human characters and their silly plans, because its a Godzilla movie and thats what Godzilla movies do.

Darknacht:

Lilani:
ONE person get deus-ex-machina'd through a story which was carefully crafted to make sure they are the ONLY ONE that could EVER have done ANYTHING that needed to get done to make the mission a success.

In what way was the mission a success? If they pulled off some great plan that saved the day it would have made since to have lots of different groups all working together, but this was the story of one mostly useless guy floating through the disaster watching/helping the military be useless/mess stuff up, then decide to light a fire, the one useful thing he did, and go back to being useless.

You know, you make a very good point, which makes his heroic rescue and return seem even sillier in hindsight. The only reason they ever had to tell him ANYTHING about Godzilla or the MUTOs after his father died was to get more information from him about his father. Otherwise, pretty much anybody else in the military could have done what he did. And there is no movie in existence that can generate enough suspension of disbelief to convince the audience he was the only person in the US military who knows how to arm and disarm a nuke.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here