Escape to the Movies: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

So, Bob liked it, right? I've been stoked for this movie since I first saw that Sentinel at Comic-Con last year, and I'm gonna see it no matter what. Why did Bob complain about Quicksilver being an annoying smart-ass? That's one of his main character traits in every version! He's a speedster, so of course he gets easily bored by everything moving normally. I just wonder if he's still Magneto's son in this one, and if there even is a Scarlet Witch here.
Also, why is Bob being down on Jennifer Lawrence, again? I thought he reserved that for when she appears in a Hunger Games movie or something directed by David O. Russel.

IllumInaTIma:
I had to stop the video midway because I just couldn't handle Bob's bashing on Spider man anymore. This has become beyond annoying. Seriously, I imagine Bob responding to "how you doing?" With "better than Amazing Spider man I tell you that! Har har!"

Jesus Christ. I haven't watched this review since I haven't seen the movie yet, but I probably won't bother now. Seriously, every time he decides to rag on Amazing Spider-Man some more I immediately stop caring about what he's saying. I don't mind the idea of comparing a recent superhero movie to a recent superhero movie. So long as it's relevant and the comparison is one that should be made. But more often than not he's shoehorning in jabs at recent Spider-Man movies instead of using them to make a relevant point that couldn't have been made without the jabs.

And he's been doing it for years now since Amazing Spider-Man released.

The horse is dead Bob. Time to bury it and move on.

Vivi22:

IllumInaTIma:
I had to stop the video midway because I just couldn't handle Bob's bashing on Spider man anymore. This has become beyond annoying. Seriously, I imagine Bob responding to "how you doing?" With "better than Amazing Spider man I tell you that! Har har!"

Jesus Christ. I haven't watched this review since I haven't seen the movie yet, but I probably won't bother now. Seriously, every time he decides to rag on Amazing Spider-Man some more I immediately stop caring about what he's saying. I don't mind the idea of comparing a recent superhero movie to a recent superhero movie. So long as it's relevant and the comparison is one that should be made. But more often than not he's shoehorning in jabs at recent Spider-Man movies instead of using them to make a relevant point that couldn't have been made without the jabs.

To be fair the Amazing Spider-man franchise JUST had a movie come out, so comparing ASM1 or 2 to X-men is kinda relevant.

Bob's reviews basically boil down to "I don't like this movie because it isn't Avengers" now. It's getting pretty sad. I know he loves Avengers but it was in essence, a dumb action movie with big budget CGI sequences and big names. A fun movie, but nothing amazing.

DOFP was a really good movie with loads of great acting and a great ensemble cast. Focusing on the trio of Mystique, Xavier and Magneto as main characters really made the movie work. Wolverine is more of a background character compared to those 3. Peter Dinklage was great, the visuals were spectacular and it was great to see the old cast and some new mutants turn up and partake in some great action sequences. Plus it was really emotional and character driven.

Vivi22:

IllumInaTIma:

First it was The Dark Knight Rises, then it was TASM1, then Man of Steel, now it's TASM2.

Lightknight:
I generally don't get Jennifer Lawrence as an actress. I don't know why she's as popular as she is aside from her ties with a popular franchise. That being said, she's head over heels better than Daniel Radcliff who rose to stardom in the same way, so maybe I'm just being unfair on a decent actress because people are going nuts about her. I mean, she isn't bad, so maybe it's just an expectation level. Or maybe she's inconsistent? I don't know, I used to think Leonardo DiCaprio was the worst actor ever and stopped watching his lead roles only to find out later that he was quite good in certain roles.

I feel the same way but i think it's mainly to do with me not really liking many of the movies she has been in. I flat out think the hunger games is bad. It's always felt like a contrived made for TV franchise to me. For such massive movies the way the action is staged and the feel in general is a bit 'cheap' to me. For something with such a high concept it falls horribly short of anything i would consider decent. It's the same feeling a get from a lot of movies, it feels like a 15 year old wrote the entire thing in class.

I had the same reaction to Sliver Linings Playbook as Bob did; It's vomit inducing, unrealistic Oscar bait coupled with De Nero further besmirching his legacy with a performance i think was more uncomfortable than the Fockers series.

But i think she was great is First Class and the problems with those other movies does not lay with Lawrence.

endtherapture:
Really really clever. I liked it.

Entire plot hinges on mutant hunting killer robots being able to identify mutants. Beast invents perfect counter measure in 70's, seen in the film as being able to immediately de-mutant someone, which would totally invalidate the viability of sentinels and never bothers to bring it up later.

endtherapture:
Bob's reviews basically boil down to "I don't like this movie because it isn't Avengers" now. It's getting pretty sad. I know he loves Avengers but it was in essence, a dumb action movie with big budget CGI sequences and big names. A fun movie, but nothing amazing.

DOFP was a really good movie with loads of great acting and a great ensemble cast. Focusing on the trio of Mystique, Xavier and Magneto as main characters really made the movie work. Wolverine is more of a background character compared to those 3. Peter Dinklage was great, the visuals were spectacular and it was great to see the old cast and some new mutants turn up and partake in some great action sequences. Plus it was really emotional and character driven.

People like you miss the point so much I'm surprised that you're even pay attention to the review outside of "oooo! It's an X-Men movie, NEATO!" You've missed the point Bob made about it being a good movie for 2000, but since then the Avengers series, and the Nolan Batman franchise have made better stories, better characters, better actors. I'm sorry X-Men are lagging behind because Singer hates being wrong.

DOFP is a bad movie because they can't be bothered to actually USE the proper source material. Wolverine is a bad character, Mystiques characterization is all wrong, and young Charles and Magneto are complete shells of whom they should be, all this set-up by First Class. At least Avengers had the common courtesy to use the proper heroes and main villain, despite the story being different and it missing Wasp and Ant-Man. I mean, at least I CARED about the Avengers.

shadowmagus:
despite the story being different and it missing Wasp and Ant-Man.

Ant Man I can take or leave but the MCU really needs Wasp.

I don't think it is that Singer hates being wrong, it is that he seems to have had a genuine dislike for what Vaughn did with First Class (basically taking all of Singer's work and tossing it out a window) and is using DoFP to eh... settle the score.

shadowmagus:

endtherapture:

People like you miss the point so much I'm surprised that you're even pay attention to the review outside of "oooo! It's an X-Men movie, NEATO!" You've missed the point Bob made about it being a good movie for 2000, but since then the Avengers series, and the Nolan Batman franchise have made better stories, better characters, better actors. I'm sorry X-Men are lagging behind because Singer hates being wrong.

DOFP is a bad movie because they can't be bothered to actually USE the proper source material. Wolverine is a bad character, Mystiques characterization is all wrong, and young Charles and Magneto are complete shells of whom they should be, all this set-up by First Class. At least Avengers had the common courtesy to use the proper heroes and main villain, despite the story being different and it missing Wasp and Ant-Man. I mean, at least I CARED about the Avengers.

It was a good movie for 2014 because I enjoyed it. Don't insult my intelligence. It was a hell of a lot better in terms of characterisation than the Avengers. In The Avengers they show up, fight themselves, and then fight the bad guys.

The source material was fine. Wolverine was not there to be a beserker, but he had a mission, he's a soldier and he had to complete his mission. Why was Mystiques characterisation wrong? Magneto is about survival of mutantkind, he does exactly what every single Magneto would do. Charles is a drug addict, he's lost his foster-sister, his best friend, his entire school and dream. What did you expect?

Maybe people like you miss the point so much, because you're happy with The Avengers fighting faceless, nameless baddies for no reason.

endtherapture:
Why was Mystiques characterisation wrong? Magneto is about survival of mutantkind, he does exactly what every single Magneto would do. Charles is a drug addict, he's lost his foster-sister, his best friend, his entire school and dream. What did you expect?

Mystique to not be hypnotised by dick, which is basically what appears to have happened.

Magneto to not stop and showboat for the cameras, thus giving the plot ample time to counter him. It to occur to Magneto that killing Mystique solved nothing, given that you know... DNA is still there even if she is a corpse. Honestly Magneto was a bit of a idiot throughout.

Charles to be mostly what they displayed him as but that idiotic call back to Wolverine's "traumatic past" did nothing except remind people "LOOK IT IS ALL PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER". Surely there was something better in Wolverines brain, namely some post Sentinel's killing everyone, stuff that could have characterised the struggle for the future better.

PuckFuppet:

endtherapture:
Why was Mystiques characterisation wrong? Magneto is about survival of mutantkind, he does exactly what every single Magneto would do. Charles is a drug addict, he's lost his foster-sister, his best friend, his entire school and dream. What did you expect?

Mystique to not be hypnotised by dick, which is basically what appears to have happened.

Magneto to not stop and showboat for the cameras, thus giving the plot ample time to counter him. It to occur to Magneto that killing Mystique solved nothing, given that you know... DNA is still there even if she is a corpse. Honestly Magneto was a bit of a idiot throughout.

Charles to be mostly what they displayed him as but that idiotic call back to Wolverine's "traumatic past" did nothing except remind people "LOOK IT IS ALL PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER". Surely there was something better in Wolverines brain, namely some post Sentinel's killing everyone, stuff that could have characterised the struggle for the future better.

What? What does that even mean? Hypnotised by dick? That makes no sense, Mystique made her decisions herself and no lust/love for Charles or Erik or Hank came into that at all.

You must have missed the part when Trask tells no one to shoot Mystique because he needs her ALIVE.

The story wasn't about Wolverine. His bits were just nice little Easter Eggs, and to add a bit of tensions since he could've saved the day right there and then at that moment in time if he had the memories. However he was gone for that whole sequence because of the flashbacks to his time in Weapon X. Also him going crazy and cutting Kitty meant that there's more tension in the Future part of the story.

Looks like you just didn't pay attention mate.

First Class was silly. The plot was hurried and contrived and structurally flawed. The setting was a 'Madmen' cash in which could have been okay had the story been sound. As for the performances; Fassbender was good, but his character structure was all over the place. McAvoy on the other hand was irritating and unfocused.
Like Bob, I too am waiting for that first-rate X-Men film. As to why it hasn't occurred yet, especially when you consider all the attempts they've made.
All that being said, his is being a little unfair regarding Wolverine.

As is usual the review was good, Bob's take on things stands on its own merits whether I agree or disagree with any particular point and while I think I had more fun and enjoyment with Days of Future Past than he did, I can certainly get where everything is coming from. All in all, good review.

That said can we please stop using the fucking term "mansplaining?" It is inherently sexist and a totally immature way of describing something that people do because of their personality NOT their freaking gender. While we're at it, "whitesplaining" can go to hell too. Talking down to, or over top of a person because you're a dick and you think everyone else (or a specific person because of their sex/race ect.) is stupid is NOT a trait inherent to men or to white people! Sorry in advance, I don't want to cause some unrelated shitstorm about sexism but holy hell am I sick of hearing "progressive", "anti-sexist" people use such a blatantly sexist term with what seems like not a shred of self awareness. /rant

Darth_Payn:
So, Bob liked it, right? I've been stoked for this movie since I first saw that Sentinel at Comic-Con last year, and I'm gonna see it no matter what. Why did Bob complain about Quicksilver being an annoying smart-ass? That's one of his main character traits in every version! He's a speedster, so of course he gets easily bored by everything moving normally. I just wonder if he's still Magneto's son in this one, and if there even is a Scarlet Witch here.
Also, why is Bob being down on Jennifer Lawrence, again? I thought he reserved that for when she appears in a Hunger Games movie or something directed by David O. Russel.

PuckFuppet:

endtherapture:
Really really clever. I liked it.

Entire plot hinges on mutant hunting killer robots being able to identify mutants. Beast invents perfect counter measure in 70's, seen in the film as being able to immediately de-mutant someone, which would totally invalidate the viability of sentinels and never bothers to bring it up later.

Well, to stop Magneto would require them to use their powers. Making themselves invisible to the Sentinels means they can't do what they need to do. In addition, I doubt they could make enough to help many people, given that it requires repeated doses per person. It would be a temporary stopgap for a few people at best.

Casual Shinji:
So if you really liked First Class, you're probably not going to like Days of Future Past?

I guess that means I'm really going to like Days of Future Past.

That's not what he said... Bob like First Class and still like Days of Future Past. He just didn't like it as much as other critics do and found First Class to be better. He said this was the third best movie of the franchise with First Class being first.

Not a surprise at all by your thoughts after seeing the video..kinda expected it.

I just came from the theater a few hours ago and I found this movie simply fantastic. By far my favorite X-men movie yet and I cannot wait to see X-Men Apocalypse.

Gorrath:
As is usual the review was good, Bob's take on things stands on its own merits whether I agree or disagree with any particular point and while I think I had more fun and enjoyment with Days of Future Past than he did, I can certainly get where everything is coming from. All in all, good review.

That said can we please stop using the fucking term "mansplaining?" It is inherently sexist and a totally immature way of describing something that people do because of their personality NOT their freaking gender. While we're at it, "whitesplaining" can go to hell too. Talking down to, or over top of a person because you're a dick and you think everyone else (or a specific person because of their sex/race ect.) is stupid is NOT a trait inherent to men or to white people! Sorry in advance, I don't want to cause some unrelated shitstorm about sexism but holy hell am I sick of hearing "progressive", "anti-sexist" people use such a blatantly sexist term with what seems like not a shred of self awareness. /rant

Is there even context for the mansplaining thing? Are they talking to women in a patronising manner in the movie?

wizzy555:

Gorrath:

Is there even context for the mansplaining thing? Are they talking to women in a patronising manner in the movie?

There is a scene where Magneto and Xavier have to talk Mystique out of her actions that lead to the movie's plot. I don't want to go into too much detail as not to spoil anything. The context here is, at least, debatable given the characters involved. BUt it really makes no difference to me whether one proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the scene absolutely made Mystique look like an emotionally fragile woman who needed a couple of men to talk some sense into her, we can call that problem out without having to resort to idiotic sexist crap like "mansplaining".

Edit: And sorry if my reply seemed aggressive towards you, I promise I did not mean it that way. I am simply aggravated by this issue. It is my own failing.

Gorrath:

wizzy555:

Gorrath:

There is a scene where Magneto and Xavier have to talk Mystique out of her actions that lead to the movie's plot. I don't want to go into too much detail as not to spoil anything. The context here is, at least, debatable given the characters involved. BUt it really makes no difference to me whether one proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the scene absolutely made Mystique look like an emotionally fragile woman who needed a couple of men to talk some sense into her, we can call that problem out without having to resort to idiotic sexist crap like "mansplaining".

Edit: And sorry if my reply seemed aggressive towards you, I promise I did not mean it that way. I am simply aggravated by this issue. It is my own failing.

I agree the word is stupid, but if there's no context other than - it's a man talking (they happen to be the only people with any relationship to her) it's REALLY a stupid thing to say.

But to be honest I'm starting to think I've been baited.

wizzy555:

Gorrath:

wizzy555:

I agree the word is stupid, but if there's no context other than - it's a man talking (they happen to be the only people with any relationship to her) it's REALLY a stupid thing to say.

But to be honest I'm starting to think I've been baited.

Baited? Not sure what you mean. Bob used the term when talking about that particular scene in his review. I was reacting to his use of that word. I'm not sure if you think maybe I was trying to bait you or if Bob was trying to bait us in general. I certainly was not trying to bait you and I don't think Bob was trying to bait his audience, I think it's just a case of him using a popular buzzword, a really, really stupid one.

Gorrath:

Baited? Not sure what you mean. Bob used the term when talking about that particular scene in his review. I was reacting to his use of that word. I'm not sure if you think maybe I was trying to bait you or if Bob was trying to bait us in general. I certainly was not trying to bait you and I don't think Bob was trying to bait his audience, I think it's just a case of him using a popular buzzword, a really, really stupid one.

No, not you, baited by Bob.

He probably said it to get a rise.

Not that he wasn't also a cliche, but I think Quicksilver came the closest to having nuance to his character. Unlike Magneto's complete sociopathy, Raven's refusal to think about the political impacts of any of her planned politician-murderings (maybe she should, like, actually go to college), or Trask's completely opaque reasoning for why he needs to invent unstoppable racist death robots, Quicksilver's moral landscape is refreshingly gray. He does good if it's fun, and he steals shit and messes with people because he finds that fun, but he's not by that token incapable of empathy.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the X-men didn't call him in because Quicksilver is a great match for Magneto on his own and Evan Peters isn't an important enough actor to actually be involved in that fight. Same reason why Ellen Page's character needs to stoically endure pain (small favors though: I'm grateful she didn't get many lines. Her delivery is still atrocious), or why we get an extended scene of Hugh Jackman standing around naked.

For good measure, a couple plot holes not mentioned in the review:
1) They have a serum that can cure goddamn spinal paralysis, and the guy who invented it is still alive 50 years later. Why hasn't anyone done any work to improve it such that the serum lets Xavier walk but doesn't turn off his powers? I hope at the very least there's some, "Holy shit, there's this awesome serum that helps paraplegics walk! Nobel prize time, Hank McCoy!"
2) At the end of the movie, when Magneto's helmet is off, Charles can clearly control both his actions and his powers. The helmet is also right there, in plain view of both of them. Why doesn't Xavier have Magneto smash it to bits before he lets him go? There is literally no reason for Xavier to do anything other than destroy it at this point. Sure, Magneto can probably figure out a way to make a new one, but why not at least make it difficult for him?
3) Somebody with super speed and reflexes should be good at Pong. Quicksilver shouldn't have any points at all on the scoreboard, or at the very least he should have broken the joystick within two seconds of starting to play if even tapping somebody's face when he's at super speed knocks that person the fuck out.
4) This isn't original to this movie, but still bothers me: does Raven naturally not have nipples or a vagina, or does her 'natural form' come with a removable seamless bikini? I'm seriously not 100% sure how she's supposed to have kids unless they come out of her mouth, or if she can even have sex when she's in blue girl mode.

can someone tell me how big the spoilers are, before I jump into this video? i'd appreciate it

Bob actually enjoyed First Class? I mean sure, I like it, but not for the reasons other people like it. I liked it because it's laughable - terrible and over the top in almost every way possible, but still doesn't manage to impress with their big dumb action sequences. The only reason I watch the movie is to laugh at how closely it resembles a James Bond film.

So I guess maybe I'll like Days of Future Past, then. Although it IS odd that Kitty Pride does what she does with absolutely NO explanation...

I don't normally like it when critics get accused of "fanboyism", but I have to say that was my impression with this review. Most of the criticisms- "bad" aesthetic design, the approach to the subject material, supposedly huge script problems that honestly feel like comic-fan nit-picking (I barely even remember who Kitty pride is, let alone what powers she has), the movie not living up to The Avengers in some nebulously defined way- feel like stuff that would only be relevant to super-hardcore comic movie fans. I know that Bob is one of those people, and that's fine, but ultimately I came away from this review with no evaluation of the movie's quality because it feels like it's being judged on criteria that aren't even going to register for me.

As I just saw this movie myself, I can say one of the biggest problems with modern superhero movies is that they have to spend the vast majority of time just explaining everything.

Of course...this movie also had the opposite problem of sometimes telling us nothing at all.

It seems like Hollywood can't decide whether it's viewers are completely unaware of the stories they're adapting or already 'in the know fans' who would consider the information being handed out to them a waste of time we could see watching Cyclops blasting robots.

Tanneseph:
I normally enjoy Bob's analysis, but I don't want to spoil anything with this movie, so I guess I can only watch this one after I see it? At which point, it's not a review.... it's more like.... a post-watch discussion? Which is cool, that can be enjoyable. But could we get a spoiler-free review?

Short recap about as good as X men 2. Silly plot but enough fun and action going on to be an enjoyable if not great superhero movie.

Bob's main criticism of this movie seemed to be it wasn't Avengers/Winter Solider.

It also sounds like the reason Bob didn't like this version of Quicksilver is because it makes the bland version coming in Avengers 2 harder to swallow, especially to the movie going public who doesn't follow this stuff as closely. Marvel/Disney would be better off just calling the character something else now. Nearly every other review for this movie has talked up his scenes as being the best or one of the best parts of the movie, something just seems off with this review.

The movie is awesome, I enjoyed it more than any other comic book movie in a long time. I just wish Blink had had more screen time.

Vivi22:

IllumInaTIma:

Oh no he used a recent movie in the same genre which he discussed at length as a reference point or short hand. That monster. And he wasted two whole sentences to do so too. I mean what kind of narcissist gives comparative examples in a review of all things relating things back a memorably flawed movie to show what works and what doesn't. Seriously, the only dead horse here is people complaining that he didn't enjoy a movie they liked.

I liked the movie despite its issues, it was fun and we got to see some really awesome action scenes.

inu-kun:
So, yeah...

Hate thinking bad of Bob but this is far better than most marvel movies and comparable to the Avengers, he should just accept there won't be x men and avengers together.

I don't think Marvel could add the over all X-Men in without it being a hack job. You have the general public who know about heroes with powers etc, then there would be mutants which they would hate because reasons? Having a few of them, sure, but to do the whole mutant thing wouldn't work, and there's that many characters that the X-Men works on its own.

Blink39:
Bob's main criticism of this movie seemed to be it wasn't Avengers/Winter Solider.

It also sounds like the reason Bob didn't like this version of Quicksilver is because it makes the bland version coming in Avengers 2 harder to swallow, especially to the movie going public who doesn't follow this stuff as closely. Marvel/Disney would be better off just calling the character something else now. Nearly every other review for this movie has talked up his scenes as being the best or one of the best parts of the movie, something just seems off with this review.

The movie is awesome, I enjoyed it more than any other comic book movie in a long time. I just wish Blink had had more screen time.

Yeah agreed. I don't know what they're going to do with Quicksilver in Avengers 2. His defining features are his relationship with his dad, Magneto, who's not in it, his status as a mutant, which he won't be, and his relationship with his sister, and obviously his powers. DOFP nailed number 4, leaving them with only number 3 as a point of interest.

Bob's review is weird, hate to say it but I think he's just hating it because it isn't Avengers. This was far better than Avengers, it had actual character development.

"At least you don't spend the majority of this movie sitting in a tree." That got a good laugh outta me. :P

Beyond that, I've more or less lost interest in the X-Men movies. Like many in the boat that I'm in, it happened after the 3rd movie and Wolverine's thankfully regenerating underpants.

Evonisia:
Is there some in-story thing to explain why "Future Past" isn't stupid?

But yeah, another X-Men movie that's alright from the sounds of it. DVD or nothing for me, then.

Well, when Claremont and Byrne originally did Days of Future Past Marvel hadn't gotten into its 'you can't really change the past but only create a new timeline' stick so back then it didn't have the problems it does with 20-20 hindsight.

The problem is every time Marvel revisited the idea they changed some detail that by the time they finally ended the whole thing In Excalibur Vol 1 #67 (1993) the continuity was shot to blazes. Then Marvel kept revisiting the idea and made things worse.

To give you a thumbnail of the problem in The Uncanny X-Men #141-#142 we are told that Senator Robert Kelly and Professor Xavier were both assassinated October 31, 1980 by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in Washington DC. Except when we see Rachel Summers from that future much later on she remembers Professor Xavier being killed much later in his mansion by the US Army. Then Excalibur Vol 1 #67 took the whole assassination thing and threw it out the window to be replaced by Mastermind blowing up Pittsburgh with nuke (likely a reference to the New Universe as it was back then Starbrand's efforts to channel his power into one of his weights results in the destruction of Pittsburgh)

So in terms of continuity Days of Future Past had totally degenerated into incomprehensibly stupid in 1993 and Marvel kept messing with it and you are asking for them to make it not stupid in a movie that has issues?

As usual, Bob is completely wrong. I quite liked Days of Future Past, but that's probably because I thought First Class was completely dumb and cringe-worthy on second viewing.

Why is DOFP a good movie? The action scenes are exciting, not least because you don't know what's going to happen. (In a time travel story, the good guys can lose a fight, which is very important for keeping the tension going.) The creative use of super powers is on par with Avengers. The plot is pretty coherent, as long as you're willing to accept that characters will be switched around to keep the good actors in the spotlight. The long-term impact on the franchise is positive, because you can retcon the stupid decisions of X3 and Wolverine: Origins out of existence. The talky scenes have genuinely new ideas - Incompetent Xavier is a way better idea than Rachel Grey as a tension-building maneuver. Quicksilver was cool, although I kept expecting him to show up and save the day for the rest of the movie.

And no, there was no mansplaining in the movie. Most of the 'splaining is done BY Mystique.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here