Escape to the Movies: Edge of Tomorrow - Tom Cruise Is Cool Again

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I was wondering about TFIOS, on one hand it seemed like a pretty standard cancer-girl story, on the other hand it seemed a bit fresh at least in the sense that it wasn't one hundred percent tear jerking romantic stuff. Reading some of the reviews however it seemed like Juno but instead of snarky "witticisms" about pregnancy it was snarky teenage "witticism" about cancer.

I just realized during the review that if anyone actually had this 'reset-day' power theyre basically going to be screwed when they have to die of old age, as they would respawn the day they are supposed to die for all eternity.

humanizer:
my main concern with this movie is that I don't see how Tom Cruise can play a young Japanese man very well.

I've seen the movie and he does a good job. Tom Cruise is an great choice for these kinds of roles, because he does have acting chops and he gives it his all performing his own stunts. It doesn't matter if he's the right age or race i he's the right man for the job.

They did put in a nod to the source material. Cruise's name in the movie is Cage. Killing Cage is the nickname the main character gets at the end of the light novel.

I actually wanted Moviebob to review TFIOS. I'm curious whether is a good movie or not. "Forgone conclusion" is a bit a vague. Is Bob assuming it's bad or good? I'm interested on what comments he has on the "nerdfighter" phenomenon.

So it's Groundhog Day with aliens and an actor I can't stand? I'll pass.

Hannibal942:
I actually wanted Moviebob to review TFIOS. I'm curious whether is a good movie or not. "Forgone conclusion" is a bit a vague. Is Bob assuming it's bad or good? I'm interested on what comments he has on the "nerdfighter" phenomenon.

A foregone conclusion is "formed in advance of argument or consideration." Bob's already made up his mind about TFIOS. If you know him, you know what it is. You can heed or ignore it as you see fit.

I saw Edge of Tomorrow, out today, yesterday and I think I've broken the time stream. Please send help to me last week.

Thought I would dislike the film as I'm not a recent-movie Cruise fan (though I did like Tropic Thunder). Not sure if I'd buy it but I would watch it again some day.

I've seen other reviewers comment that it's too repetitive and not emotionally investing. I'd disagree on the repetitive part. It's well edited so you're catching either his changes to the day or different parts or different paths of the day or the repetition occurs with the character (Tom Cruise Cage) finally taking notice from that segment. I'd probably more agree with the emotional intensity part of it. Do you care if these characters "advance". Maybe. The secondary characters which help you glimpse into the "advancement" of the main character aren't quite drawn well or maybe "uniquely" enough for my tastes.

Of course I'd rather talk about the individual time stream reset... which I don't consider a spoiler since it could apply even to the original Groundhog day. Is this like parallel universes and different outcomes in each or the same universe and it doesn't matter what anyone else does as their timeline ends once the main character's reset. Hmm... not sure which I'd prefer.

RedDeadFred:
Yes, I too enjoyed the scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Burray battled a bunch of alien monsters in a robotic suit.

Yes, I enjoyed the moment where Bill Murray who comes off as a careless, idiotic dislikeable jerk who gets a chance to do things right but it takes A LOT of going back into time for him, to become actually sort of likeable.

Wait, that does sound a lot like what Bob described about Edge of Tomorrow. That's weird.

piscian:
See and you got through the whole thing without spoilers! Proud of you bob.

yeah, i noticed he'd been doing that a lot. no Spiderman/Superman references either

Uriel_Hayabusa:
I myself wouldn't mind a movie based on Fate/Zero or Boogiepop Phantom. Just saying, Hollywood.

Fate/Zero is already a brilliant anime. Not so sure I want to see a live action Hollywood version...

Doesn't help that I'm a massive Fate/Zero fan, and would probably cry if they screwed it up. And honestly with Hollywood's track record with adaptations, they most likely will screw it up. See: Oldboy.

InvisibleMan:
Wait, didn't Bill Murray do this already in Groundhog Day twenty years ago??

I guess this is a good plot formula that should be used a lot more...

Better yet, it was done a century ago (1904) in The Defence of Duffer's Drift.

Damn I'm glad this is good. And more importantly, damn I'm glad this is good for the reasons Bob says it is. When I first saw the trailer for this, I was like "whoa, this looks AWESOME!" in the same way I did about Elysium, Pacific Rim, Sucker Punch or any movie trailer I see that has the kind of awesome stuff I like in it (power suits, giant robots, giant minigun-wielding cyborg demon samurai etc). Then I realised "oh wait, that's Tom Cruise" and my enthusiasm took a major hit just based on that, for pretty much the reasons Bob cited- he's a walking joke and more than a bit of a loser. But I held out hope and waited for Bob's opinion (he's always the last word on sci-fi films for me) and lo and behold! He says it's good because it manages to solve the Tom Cruise problem! I'll probably go see this when I get the chance. Thank god.

I loved this movie. Best of 2014 so far :)

GratchDDO:

Of course I'd rather talk about the individual time stream reset... which I don't consider a spoiler since it could apply even to the original Groundhog day. Is this like parallel universes and different outcomes in each or the same universe and it doesn't matter what anyone else does as their timeline ends once the main character's reset. Hmm... not sure which I'd prefer.

I see what you mean but I personally think it's just one universe that resets after Cruise dies. As soon as he dies the entire universe reverts to the same point. I don't think there are parallel universes where each one continues after Cruise dies, if that were the case then the aliens would have won in like a thousand parallel universes.

A movie where Tom Cruise dies over and over again? SOLD!

Tom Cruise gives millions each year to an organisation known primarily for murdering people and allowing unchecked sexual assaults. But yeah, I guess he's "cool."

Did they even pay for the rights to the "All you need is kill" author or just outright stole everything?

so wait, are you telling me i can actually spend my money on a cruise film? a guy i hate so much but can enjoy seeing him die over and over again? maybe i give this one a try next week.

You know, I was considering this movie solely because of the power armor designs. I mean, they're this close to full blown WH40k space marines, power swords/fists and all, and I was ready to overlook what would be a crappy film otherwise. I'm glad to hear that's not quite the case.

Flatfrog:
And I don't go to a movie to see Tom Cruise, I go to see the character he's playing.

Pretty much exactly this for me.
I went to go see this movie basically right after this review and I don't regret it. It was a neat premise done fairly well.

"Aliens have conquered most of europe and the US has to go in and save them".
yeah, i relly hope its a (obviuosly bad) allegory to nazis. otherwise this does not make logical sense, considering EU has larger army and decentralized infrastructure which means there isnt a singular weakspot.

Ishigami:
Uhmmm isn't this basically Groundhog Day?

Gee, no shit Sherlock!
Every goddamn person that even just saw the trailer realized this instantly

RvLeshrac:
Tom Cruise gives millions each year to an organisation known primarily for murdering people and allowing unchecked sexual assaults. But yeah, I guess he's "cool."

Is that really the only reason people seem to hate Tom Cruise so much, because of fuckin' Scientology, really?

Hell, i'm Catholic and I can admit Christianity has been responsible for some horrifying things throughout history, probably worse then whatever ever Scientology has done. Almost every damn religion out there is responsible for something bad, do you really hate all of the members though, even the ones that donate to it for the actions of others involved in the same religion?

Went to see Edge of Tomorrow last week and I loved it // Althou I have problems with the ending

Question about the end credits: What do you mean "Because its a foregone conclusion, that's why."? What's a foregone conclusion?

-M

Will the money go to Scientology though? If that's the case, I'll never see the film.

This movie, surprisingly, was THE most I've had with a movie in a long time, since he kept dying, and I kept laughing at it cuz it was a really basic "gonna avoid that next time, didn't see the next thing coming though" and died again.

And when someone else at the theater finally lost that initial "omg a person died, not funny" and started laughing along, everyone else in the room lost it, and everyone was laughing at the "death montage", it was such a good time.

Strazdas:
"Aliens have conquered most of europe and the US has to go in and save them".
yeah, i relly hope its a (obviuosly bad) allegory to nazis. otherwise this does not make logical sense, considering EU has larger army and decentralized infrastructure which means there isnt a singular weakspot.

It's actually an "Earth Defense Force" situation, so there's not really a "The US saves the day" rather than a "this coward was recruiting people so he wouldn't have to go and now he's stuck in this".

Cpt. Slow:

RedDeadFred:
Yes, I too enjoyed the scene in Groundhog Day where Bill Burray battled a bunch of alien monsters in a robotic suit.

Yes, I enjoyed the moment where Bill Murray who comes off as a careless, idiotic dislikeable jerk who gets a chance to do things right but it takes A LOT of going back into time for him, to become actually sort of likeable.

Wait, that does sound a lot like what Bob described about Edge of Tomorrow. That's weird.

Haha, forgot about that.

You win.

Branindain:
Tom Cruise stars as the little blue alien from Cartoon Network fillers! Now that's a premise!

you talking about TOM from Toonami?

I've reached the point now where I'll pretty much cheer on any movie that isn't a remake, reboot, sequel, prequel, or adaptation of something really popular just for that reason, so I'm really glad to hear that this is actually good.

Ishigami:

Isn't Groundhog Day basically just 12:01 PM?

The concept of time loops has been done quite a few times, however each variation puts a different spin on it.

I really will never understand why hollywood feels the need to change things in a book-movie conversion that don't affect pacing.

I'm sure the movie will be good, but I was a huge fan of the book and from the reviews and stuff said in the comments here, it looks like a lot of the things that really sold me on it will be missing.

Most specifically, the idea of the main character being a willing volunteer who basically joins the army because he's a young idiot who thinks it'll help him get laid and give some meaning to his life. If he's actually a middle aged coward who is trying to avoid fighting to stop the end of the world, that's a completely different dynamic.

Tom Cruise is still a member of the dangerous and criminal cult of Scientology. He will never be cool.

The movie may be good or bad on its own merits, and Cruise's skill as an actor I make no comment on. He's a successful Hollywood type for a reason, I'm sure. But his financial support to an organization that repeatedly violates the law, ethics, common decency, and human rights means he'll never get a cent from me.

TheOneGuyInNebraska:

Is that really the only reason people seem to hate Tom Cruise so much, because of fuckin' Scientology, really?

Hell, i'm Catholic and I can admit Christianity has been responsible for some horrifying things throughout history, probably worse then whatever ever Scientology has done. Almost every damn religion out there is responsible for something bad, do you really hate all of the members though, even the ones that donate to it for the actions of others involved in the same religion?

I think the point here is that Scientology not only HAS done a lot of horrible things, they CONTINUE to do many of those horrible things RIGHT NOW, without apology or remorse. Seriously, I don't want to get Off Topic and get banned or hijack this thread, but a cursory bit of research on Cruise's favorite cult will turn up some really hair-raising stuff. Even one cent going towards that stuff is bad news.

Does the movie still have the bad ending from the book? Because I kind of hate the ending from the book, though, apparently it's for utterly different reasons than most people (which I was surprised about).

Okay, let's do the first thing first:

Yes, many works of fiction actually share similarities with other movies. Entire set-pieces, and story frameworks, are shared between not just different movies, but movies, books, television, videogames, comic books, everything. Cleverness isn't in saying "hurr, isn't this kind of the same idea as this other movie" (especially since every genre movie could be boiled down to some archetype), but rather in recognizing what the work adds to previous works and ideas. It's one of the reasons copyright exists the way it does: you can't own an idea (like a guy trapped in a time loop), but you can own your particular representation of that idea, particularly if it's that idea plus a boatload of other ideas.

Are we really to say that Aeschylus was less a great playwright because he wasn't working with entirely original source material?

So it's Groundhog Day in mech suits against space aliens. Ok, I can support that.

Ishigami:

As Cinema Snob described it, he wouldn't fault you for thinking of it as Groundhog Day, but it would be better thought of as playing a really difficult level over and over in a video game, which inadvertently makes this a more successful video game movie than most actual movie adaptations of video games. To quote him, "I would play the shit out of [this]!"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.