Jimquisition: How To Sell Games Without Being A Lying Dick

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

beef_razor:
You know, back in the day (like PS1 and PS2 era) I actually enjoyed per-rendered cut scenes. In all Final Fantasy games for ps1, getting to the cut scene was the goal for me. Now-a-days... so don't fucking care. You use to be able to tell the difference between game play and some CGI thing. Now, it's hard to tell (sometimes), a lot because of developers and publishers lying and setting ridiculous expectations, and partly because the gaming crowd has gotten spoiled and whiny. I've had a PS4 for a couple months now. The games look great (for the most part, Bound by Flame is an exception) and then I went back to 360 to play ME3, and it also looked great. This industry has gotten so fucked up.

Well, I'd argue that those pre-rendered cut scenes worked because they didn't represent the final game and weren't supposed to. Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX's cut scenes were there to give a more movie-like feel for those scenes. Anyone going in knew that the game would like worse that those cut scenes so weren't angered by the lower graphic quality. In more recent years, developers are using the same methods but claiming that the videos are gameplay and not upscaled shots or cutscenes.

There's something different about the show today... Jim, have you lost weight? It's a good look for you!

Anyway I'm amazed just how many people have come to the conclusion that art direction is more important than actual graphical horsepower and yet it goes ignored.

Fasckira:
I used to love demo discs. Floppys/CDs full of games coming up, with usually an accompanying article in the magazine. There was no lying, just an opinion based on the exact same strip of content that you yourself could play a few months before the game hit the shelves. Hell, I wouldn't even considering buying a game on release date if I hadn't had a chance to rattle through a demo yet. Simpler times.

beef_razor:
getting to the cut scene was the goal for me.

Bit off topic but.. I was getting to do a preview on NFS The Run many moons ago; we were all having a good laugh, things were going smooth till we got asked what we thought about the inclusion of QTEs. Most people there seemed quite favourable but I countered and said, "I dont like it, because I used to use the cut scene time to drink some of my tea".

I was laughed at and mocked, not helped by being the only Brit there (what with the tea reference and all) but even now I think my point still stands - I like cut scenes because they're a break! I've just spent ages trying to beat a boss or goal, I want a few moments to enjoy that before getting back into it.

Cut scene QTE's can work if it makes it clear what is a standard cut scene and what is a QTE cut scene. See Kingdom Hearts II for examples of that.

I find it ironic that people badmouth Nintendo saying that "ohhh, its always the same thing every year. Zelda and Mario get wheeled out for their annual hype show".

Now it seems that the two new Zelda titles were the most interesting things revealed at this years EEE. They've definitely put my mind on the future WiiU owners track.

When your E3 games cant compare to 2008 old games made on low budgets
*Obligatory video I always post*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAYLHAPPkvw&list=PLD2B82E405CF9650C&index=4

You know you suck.

Though HORSE POWER DOES matter. If its used for things that matter... like AI or graphics/physics that ENFORCE gameplay or atmoshpere.
And it is CHEAP compared to *insert mega actor here* or *Hans Zimmer spam here*.

Agree with the Rest! :) !

I can't help but think that we gamers are to blame for some of this.

We bitched, moaned, and sharpened our internet pitch-forks after the Watch_Dogs bullshot scandal... and it still shattered sales records.

Why should companies stop abusing our intelligence if we keep rewarding them for doing so?

The worst thing is that the stupid pre-rendered trailers/unrepresentative gameplay tactic has worked to great success in the past. Would Dead Island and Watch Dogs have even gotten half the sales they did if it wasn't for that tragic pre-rendered trailer and that E3 2012 "gameplay" demonstration?

I didn't even follow E3 this year but what little I saw painted Nintendo as being the more trustworthy and appealing star of the show. If they announce a new Earthbound I'm getting a Wii-U tomorrow.

"And what was announced for Hyrule Warriors?"

The most forgettable character in the entire game the bug princess.

Hey Jim, got any lotto numbers?

And of course, people are more upset when you lie about what they should expect than if you just delievered what you promised. Especially if what you promise sounds, well promising. I remember watching the E3 demo for Watchdogs and getting excited because it seemed like a really interesting idea, and some of that got deflated when I saw shooting gameplay, but I was still hoping Ubisoft would really deliever something really interesting. Nope, hacking is seoondary to shooting throughout the entire game. Well the visuals are still that awesome, right? Nope, visuals suck. Well, they're at least trying to have an interesting plot, right? Not really, there's a lot of cliches and the main character is the least interesting thing on screen. Same deal with Colonial Marines. I really don't understand how none of these big wigs seem to actually understand that in the first place, let alone with so many PR problems in the wake of instances similar to what I described.

I think the PR fluff attitude stems from these dumb higherups and their thinking that the main buyers of their products are cavemen who aren't certain of the distinction between up and down.

Suit exec 1:"How do we sell a butt ton more copies?"
Suit exec 2:"Lie to em!"
1:"Won't they notice eventually?"
2:"Meh, they're too stoopids."

I liked the video Jim but I can't agree about Gears of War.

The games arn't gunning for realism, if so, the main characters wouldn't look like homeless Hulks and She-hulks carrying weapons that would weigh twice what they do. The games do have art direction; a dirty, greasy, bloody, toothy one but direction none the less.

Bug Princess - never forget

I want a T-shirt with this :)

Yay Nintendo. The rest of the companies can buzz off until they're proven themselves not to be jerks.

themilo504:
You have a new intro? THIS SHOW HAS BEEN RUINED FOREVER(I'm joking and I actually like the new intro).

And there's no longer two glitches in the audio! They got added way back when Jim added the footage of him posing with the Warhammer 40K Chainsword.

The audio still sounds a bit muffled though...

OOO new intro, my chungus is wet already!

Brian Tams:
I can't help but think that we gamers are to blame for some of this.

We bitched, moaned, and sharpened our internet pitch-forks after the Watch_Dogs bullshot scandal... and it still shattered sales records.

Why should companies stop abusing our intelligence if we keep rewarding them for doing so?

As odd as this may sound E3 is not all that important to AAA publishers. Most of the people ignore E3 and just watch the advertisements on television. E3 is just there to impress the hardcore gaming crowd.

Even the internet does not really seem powerful enough to communicate with the majority of the gamers out there.

This is why I think that most people probably do not know and do not wish to care about that incident. They just see the advertising on television and think because of it that it is a cool product that they need to buy to be cool.

demented:
A while ago I began worrying that I had outgrow games. Then I realized that no, what I've outgrown is the bullshit of companies like Ubisoft and EA.

For me the next generation consists of a 3DS and a PC.

Also, loved the over the top ending in your video. I wish I could come just by thinking about myself.

I've honestly felt the exact same thing, which feels jarring since i LOVE video-games in general. Atleast until I played some Layton, Ace Attorney and Persona. Nintendo did win E3 this year because of their honesty and exceptional costumer relations (including the Smash tourney). That said though, their E3 presentation wasn't really exceptional. Although good, they basically won E3 because they didn't f up in comparison to the other companies. I do have a few gripes with Nintendo, biggest one being over-reliance on the same games and aesthetics instead of exploring new things (Pokemon being one of the worst offenders in that regard). I had hoped for a few more new IP's like Splatoon and an announcement of the Pokken fighters game rumored to be in developement, but perhaps they're simply keeping their cards close for now? I hope so, because Nintendo is otherwise the most genuine of the big three imo.

A new intro for the Jimquisition?! What has Jim Sterling done?!?

Just kidding. It looks awesome, BTW.

As far E3 goes, the only thing that got my interest outside of Nintendo was Sunset Overdrive, a game that wasn't in the color pallet of dog shit brown or gravel gray. Maybe fighting games like Mortal Kombat X and season 2 of Killer Instinct. Aside from that, I was more hyped about what Nintendo had to show us. At least they lived up to expectations without having to bullshit people or come off as arrogant fucks. I'd like to be proven wrong and see, one day, the triple A game companies learn from past mistakes and do better. Unfortunately, they're all still driving the short bus off a cliff like it was the best and only idea they have. -_-

Yup, I'm dying to get a WiiU, I didn't have this feeling since the PS2/GameCube days and I guess the WiiU is kinda/sorta returning to those days, but with HD graphics. And I like it.

WiiU + PC might be a great combination to consider.

Though MGS V looked incredible... so yeah... I hope it gets a WiiU/PC release someday :3

While I do agree mostly, I do enjoy the completely CGI/Rendered trailers. It has less to do with the game and makes me go "Wow, they have a great animation department, assuming it's the same people working on the game. If only they would split off and make a CGI movie. Maybe about said game. Lookin' your way, Blizzard.". I also know that this is definitely not what I'm getting. Maybe it's because I'm long over the concept of pre-ordering (Even though that seems to have suddenly exploded the moment I stopped), and hardly ever even buy a game the month it comes out. But I'd much rather watch a CGI trailer than a gameplay video that might not be gameplay, or similar to what Shadow of Mordor did, which was show gameplay, but the camera was panning around unattached to the playable character with no HUD (The worst kind of "First Gameplay Trailer" ever).

Imre Csete:

Yeah, Nintendo is churning out decades old IPs on their current console as usual and everyone hails them as heroes, just because the other contenders are soulless idiots.

There are no winners here.

and yet, Nintendo does more to change up and try new things those IP with most releases then anywhere else.

You don't need a new IP to be innovative, besides, Capcom abandoned almost all of its 'old IP', and we all see how well that's worked out for em.

carnex:
Ufff. You are, for once nicely and to the point idealistic. It would be awesome to have games represented from the get go as they are. I would love that. However...

Let me premise this with stating that I despise marketing as it stands today and that I do not agree with their actions. But at the same time I must admit that they know what they are doing and that their tactics work.

Simply said honesty doesn't sell, or more truthfully, honesty does not sell as well as deception and confusion. Yes, it would be great if we had, from the start, only true gameplay videos (even if that idea is stupid for variety of reasons including that game does not get final polish until late in development cycle) but job of marketing is not to tell us the truth. It's job is to sell us things. And hype and elation does that better than truth. When commercial ends and we go on with our lives content more or less goes forgotten and what is left is tone and feeling it provoked and that is what lures people into purchasing product (except for borderline fanatical hobbyist and professionals which are in majority on any gaming forum)

Let's just look at a classic example, Coca Cola. Their commercials have absolutely nothing to do with their product. And why would they? Product itself is a guilty pleasure, we know it's bad but we like the taste and sugar rush we get. Therefor their commercials go with generating positive feelings within us. Joy of friendship, music, love... Carbonated caramel soda has nothing to do with any of that but feelings linger. And look at how successful Coca Cola is.

I really have to go, I just hope I gave you people some food for thoughts.

As of 2014 advertisement from firms like Mc-Donalds and Coca Cola are shifting from the old lies and deception into honesty, as honesty sells better in the modern day.

Studies have shown that people are becoming less affected by the hiring of renowned actors and celebrities to showcase products, of humor and comedy and other plastic presentations, and more affected by say, the Coca Cola campaign of *Share this with a friend* aswell as Mc Donalds videos about how awesome their employees have it and how they are enjoying their jobs (Though the latters more my country than the U.S where employees are not treated well enough for such an ad not to be outright lies)

Simply put, people are not buying into the bullshit as much as they used to after several decades of being lied to. They are started to only buy it honesty, or at least perceived honesty.

Honesty is the new Deception in marketing.

Swanky new intro and outro animations.
Worthy of a god, one might say...

Just for the sake of providing feedback, I will observe that though I am a bit saddened to see the old intor/outro go, the new one is fun and interesting and will surely be okay with me after a proper adjustment period.

Captain Capra:
Bug Princess - never forget

I want a T-shirt with this.

I'd buy one.

Everyone always knocks Nintendo for the whole IP thing but you know what? Other than the new Mortal Kombat no one else got my interest like Nintendo did this past E3.

Gaming Industry, can't you see all Jim wants is to be relieved of his burden! Thank God for him.

loveing that new intro

thank god for jim

predicting Nintendo is not hard to do Jim. They've been doing the same things for the same people since the SNES. which is why they are still doing E3 like that.

Yes as stated, EA, Activision, and apparently Ubisoft have lost the ability to hype their games.

Bethesda once said with Fallout 3 that it would have hundreds of different endings. or something. when there were like 2 or 3 similiar endings except with the technically that the image of your childhood picture with your dad had a few hundred variants technically.

Didn't hurt that game, lies don't make a bad game good Jim, but if you are going to SELL a bad game, it doesn't hurt to lie. it only hurts the next game.

red255:
predicting Nintendo is not hard to do Jim. They've been doing the same things for the same people since the SNES. which is why they are still doing E3 like that.

Yes as stated, EA, Activision, and apparently Ubisoft have lost the ability to hype their games.

Bethesda once said with Fallout 3 that it would have hundreds of different endings. or something. when there were like 2 or 3 similiar endings except with the technically that the image of your childhood picture with your dad had a few hundred variants technically.

Didn't hurt that game, lies don't make a bad game good Jim, but if you are going to SELL a bad game, it doesn't hurt to lie. it only hurts the next game.

Yeah, but Bioware tried that nonsense again with DA3....

http://www.geek.com/games/biowares-dragon-age-inquisition-will-have-40-different-endings-1596502/

...and people saw right through it.

http://gamingbolt.com/bioware-dragon-age-inquisition-doesnt-really-have-40-endings

The lies aren't working anymore.

I can understand awesome prerendered trailers. Even if they are increasingly boring as they try to emulate video game footage instead of wowing concepts, art directions, or just as a snappy advertisement. They're a good eye catchers and there are good ways to do them. Tropico 5 (buggy and broken as it is) had a good example with one of it's trailers. You clearly knew this was a hilarious advertisement, not representative of the final product. (sorry pretty sure I'm not allowed to link here or I would)

But at a certain point, I do expect to see actual gameplay footage. Tropico 5 I'll use as an example again, did this well. They had a very long gameplay demo video that showed you exactly what you were getting. Fallout did this well, as well. CG announcement, and eventual gameplay footage closer to launch.

What I don't like is how Electronic Arts especially, but others are guilty of this as well, are taking what is perhaps in game engine rendered footage, but never the less not gameplay footage and calling it gameplay footage. All this tells me as a consumer is: DON'T BUY THIS GAME!!! or IT'S A TRAP!.

And when these companies false advertise and they get me, it's Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I don't preorder their products anymore, and they're lucky if I buy them at all, since their competition is more than happy to supply awesome experiences without the deciete and bullshit.

That aside: I don't see what Jim sees. Watch Dogs doesn't look bad, but GTAV on the last generation looked more impressive.

Fappy:

We can only hope to see Link go toe-to-toe with Lu Bu and a Gundam.

With Ryu Hyabusa and Keiji Maeda in tow.

Hmmm...Gundam+Ocarina....There's a Dragonzord joke in there somewhere.

You would think the industry would have learned by now, after so many years. But who are we kidding, this is the videogame industry, they will never learn a goddamn thing. Thank god for Jim!

Now where is the new Dismal Jesters episode you lovably lazy fuck?!

Aside from Nintendo, there was one shining moment among the other press conferences: Little Big Planet 3. Now I know a lot of people hated it because they were pretty bad, but that is what I enjoyed about it. It wasn't a guy standing up there holding a controller pretending the play through the game, it was 4 people not entirely sure of what they were doing trying to figure out the best way through the game. They died a bunch of times, and did their best to stay on script whereas all of the other "gameplay" demos show us perfect scenarios under ideal situations. Them just using Swoop to speed through the demo when they realized they were going long was something actual people would do. That was the only moment that was not Nintendo or some website's footage that made me think something was gameplay.

synobal:
Sadly Jim the guys with the advertising and PR degrees will not agree with you. As long as you pour money into advertising you'll be fine regardless of how much you lied.

The problem with that is is leads to The Boy who Cried Wolf issue. They lie and over hype their game, the games come out good or mediocre then people call them crap because they didn't get what the expected then the people get cynical and any marketing stops working on them. The problem is marketers have no clue what they are doing, Joe Blow off the street would be a better marketer than anyone with a masters degree in marketing. What they learn in marketing courses is all out of date and was bullshit when it was though up and then reinforce their the bullshit with focus groups designed to tell them what they want to hear.

If anyone reading this is going for a marketing degree, here is a tip: When you get your degree delete everything you learned about marketing from your brain, it's all bullshit.

Valderis:
You would think the industry would have learned by now, after so many years. But who are we kidding, this is the videogame industry, they will never learn a goddamn thing. Thank god for Jim!

The awful truth is that they don't need to learn this lesson as long as we keep giving them money.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.