Top 5 with Lisa Foiles: Top 5 Bizarre Gaming Myths - Is Squall From FF8 Dead?

Pages PREV 1 2

Huh, surprised Indoctrination theory didn't at least get a mention...

It's certainly bizarre at least.

The Madden thing is actually easily explained, it's just an example of reversion to the norm. By definition, a player who gets onto the cover of a game (or for that matter a magazine - there are similar 'curses' of various magazine covers) is playing unusually well. Therefore the law of averages suggests that they are likely to play less well the following year. Add to that a smattering of confirmation bias (all players have bad days or are injured from time to time, so if you look for it you can find an example for any player) and it's pretty obvious that you can find a 'curse' pretty much anywhere.

AgentLampshade:
Well, FFVIII is was a bit more grounded in reality than the others. It's established that there's no real magic in the world aside from the Sorceress. The first disc is actually played pretty straight-forward. "You are mercenaries. You must kill the Sorceress." It's only in disc 2 where Moombas, NORG, Time Kompression and that awful orphanage plot twist start appearing. It's why I like the theory so much, it's got some really good ideas behind it and it's fun to read, even if I don't really believe it.

I think you're giving the writers a bit too much credit. The first disc absolutely had all kinds of magic and weird things.

From getting Ifrit and all the magic leading up to it ( you can cast ice too). You get a magical lamp from the headmaster that lets you summon a GF in the world map (diablos). The weird fake president body double with the biological attack shows up and you control Laguna early on. You also get the ability to junction magic and several other possible summons before the battle between Edea and Seifer that ends disc one.

The story is already full of this weird stuff. The fact that it ramps up as the story progresses is how all of these things work. They always have these ridiculous twists. Or at least they used to.

On a somewhat related note since you mentioned Polybius I am surprised you didn't give a shout out to the old Escapist sereis Doomsday Arcade

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/doomsday-arcade

Lightknight:
I think you're giving the writers a bit too much credit. The first disc absolutely had all kinds of magic and weird things.

From getting Ifrit and all the magic leading up to it ( you can cast ice too). You get a magical lamp from the headmaster that lets you summon a GF in the world map (diablos). The weird fake president body double with the biological attack shows up and you control Laguna early on. You also get the ability to junction magic and several other possible summons before the battle between Edea and Seifer that ends disc one.

The story is already full of this weird stuff. The fact that it ramps up as the story progresses is how all of these things work. They always have these ridiculous twists. Or at least they used to.

You're right. I'd forgotten about the body double and Diabolos, though one could argue that those made sense within the context of the game, it's established in the first 30 minutes how junctioning works and we hadn't seen enough of the world to gauge the technology level yet[1]. Again, I don't believe the theory, but I still enjoyed reading it.

[1] Though if I'm getting really into it, I could argue that Esther is mentioned in Disc 1 on the tutorial menu, and is described as a scientifically advanced place, which could present a reason for biological-weapon-body-doubles to exist.

Atmos Duality:

DirgeNovak:
I really like the Final Fantasy VIII one because that story was awful and made no sense.

Yeah..it's especially sad when a silly notion like a game's protagonist experiencing 3/4ths of the game as a near-death fever dream based on an exceptionally bonkers interpretation of events, is actually LESS CRAZY and more coherent of a explanation for the events of FF8 than the actual plot.

(from what I heard, FF8's plot is a trainwreck because it's two separate plots mashed together into one incoherent mess; as in, the Laguna plotline was originally intended to be its own thing, but they forced Squall into the role of protagonist because Cloud Strife was such an incredibly popular character. They even gave him his own Seifer-oth!)

Just to hammer in how crap the FF8 plot is, consider that "Squall is Dead" is still only a step away from the "It was just a dream all along" trope. (at best, it'd be aping The Sixth Sense. BADLY.)

You heard? So you've never actually played (or at least seen it) the game? near-death fever dream? No, Squall is dead. Kind of like a slighter more gritter version of jacob's Ladder with no angel to save him, to guide him in times of need.

And what point have Final Fantasy games have actually made any sense? FF games can simply be summed-up with the save the princess trope with it's plot twisted by a raving mad man. Coherency not included.

Antitonic:

Nojh:
My favorite was the various ways you could get General Leo to join your party in Final Fantasy 3/6j.

Except that can happen...
http://lparchive.org/Breaking-Final-Fantasy-VI/

By glitching the game. General Leo was never coded to be an actual main character, although yes there's evidence that maybe at one point they intended to make him so (the Chocobo Sprite, for example), he never made it into the main release.

SourMilk:

You heard? So you've never actually played (or at least seen it) the game? near-death fever dream?

Uh, I both owned and beat FF8 when it was brand new.

No, Squall is dead. Kind of like a slighter more gritter version of jacob's Ladder with no angel to save him, to guide him in times of need.

Then we were obviously playing very different games.

The FF8 I played featured a loner dickhead learning to overcome his addiction to self-pity via means of bonkers surrogate time travel and a really shitty romance subplot.

And what point have Final Fantasy games have actually made any sense? FF games can simply be summed-up with the save the princess trope with it's plot twisted by a raving mad man. Coherency not included.

That broad generalization suggests that you are less interested in discussion and more in grinding axes.
I mean c'mon, a CHILD can comprehend the plot to FF1-FF6.

Nojh:

By glitching the game. General Leo was never coded to be an actual main character, although yes there's evidence that maybe at one point they intended to make him so (the Chocobo Sprite, for example), he never made it into the main release.

I never said it was a "legitimate" way of getting it to work. :P It's like getting Mew in Pokemon Yellow.

DirgeNovak:
I really like the Final Fantasy VIII one because that story was awful and made no sense.

FF8 made perfect sense, if you have an understanding of temporal and quantum physics.

My favorite one is the Lavender Town suicides and the broken cartridge.

Nope. Still mad about the Super Bowl. Fuck the Seachickens.

The FF8 thing made me laugh tho.

Top 5 with Devin.

canadamus_prime:
The most messed up one I've heard of involved a messed up NES Godzilla cartridge that had this daemon in it and supposedly the soul of the story teller's dead girlfriend.

Not actually a myth, it's a very long and sometimes stupid creepypasta.

Then again, Squall being dead is less a myth and more a fan theory, so maybe it'd fit for these purposes. Just saying.

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:
The most messed up one I've heard of involved a messed up NES Godzilla cartridge that had this daemon in it and supposedly the soul of the story teller's dead girlfriend.

Not actually a myth, it's a very long and sometimes stupid creepypasta.

Then again, Squall being dead is less a myth and more a fan theory, so maybe it'd fit for these purposes. Just saying.

Oh I file creepypastas under myths. Regardless it was still stupid and rather messed up.

canadamus_prime:

Oh I file creepypastas under myths. Regardless it was still stupid and rather messed up.

Can't argue there. I just wasn't sure if people thought this was a real story or not. Real story. There's some weird phrasing.

But yeah.

The E.T. myth was NOT recently confirmed. The Gaming Historian did a great video on this:

In a nutshell, Atari were converting a manufacturing plant into a service centre and moving manufacturing to China, the plant had a warehouse full of hardware and cartridges (including, but not limited to E.T.) that they needed to get rid of so they dumped them in a nearby landfill. Locals started illegally looting from the landfill so Atari covered some of it in concrete. After the looting began Atari was basically forced to publicly explain what they were doing and it was reported in all the papers etc. The documentary team uncovered what was already public knowledge 30 years ago.

As for what Atari did with its excess E.T. stock after the video game crash... no one knows yet. Maybe they dumped those too? But that's not what this team uncovered.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here