Game Theory: How PewDiePie Conquered YouTube

Pages PREV 1 2

gridsleep:
When was this written? Pewdiepie's single channel already exceeds Smosh's three channels combined by over three million subscribers (29 million for Pewdiepie if you are curious.) Also, this was covered in depth by PBS Idea Channel months ago without the "humor" of mispronouncing Swedish names in an infantile way.

All the Game Theory videos are from their Youtube channel. This one was posted on the 20th of July 2013.

vallorn:

he starts creaming about how he's about to be raped or the enemies are raping him or such.

I watched him play Dark Souls once and I don't remember him doing this. The other things are true, but it somehow fits with Dark Souls.

OT: So do we have an answer why we're seeing videos from a year ago?

ryan_cs:

vallorn:

he starts creaming about how he's about to be raped or the enemies are raping him or such.

I watched him play Dark Souls once and I don't remember him doing this. The other things are true, but it somehow fits with Dark Souls.

It seems to happen mostly in horror games and the like but the clips used in this video point out a few scenes where he does it.

Maybe he didn't do it in Dark Souls, I never watched that series (A few Happy Wheels and an attempt at Amnesia before my ears started hurting).

And yeah I'd love to know why The Escapist who used to commission all sorts of odd stuff like Unforgotten Realms, Extra Credits, I Hit It With My Axe and more has started making 'safe' content using it's already big site names like Jim or Yahtzee or taking year old content from youtube and reposting it.

vallorn:

ryan_cs:

vallorn:

It seems to happen mostly in horror games and the like but the clips used in this video point out a few scenes where he does it.

Maybe he didn't do it in Dark Souls, I never watched that series (A few Happy Wheels and an attempt at Amnesia before my ears started hurting).

And yeah I'd love to know why The Escapist who used to mission all sorts of odd stuff like Unforgotten Realms, Extra Credits, I Hit It With My Axe and more has started making 'safe' content using it's already big site names like Jim or Yahtzee or taking year old content from youtube and reposting it.

I think I read somewhere that he was trying to not do rape jokes anymore, since the video came out in 2012 and the Dark Souls videos were made around 8 months ago, maybe he succeeded?

People keep telling me he's funny, and I keep asking them to tell me one clever or witty thing the guy's ever said. Admittedly I've only seen small portions of a handful of videos (that's all I can manage before I have to close the browser or stick knitting needles in my ears in the hope of destroying my eardrums), so I figure somewhere in there amidst all the screaming, swearing and stupid noises the guy must have said something that's funny and/or clever. At least once. He has hundreds of videos, so odds are on his side.

But I've never had a legitimate response to that question, usually it just leads to abuse.

Robbaz is 100x funnier than PewDiePie. He is also Swedish lol

Don't know why anyone is surprised by this.
Targeting children(and by extension idiots) is by far the most profitable marketing strategy.
Children love this guy, and anyone who has read youtube comments can tell you that kids are by far the largest demographic on the site.

I don't get the appeal of PewDiePie. I watched a couple of videos from him to see what all the fuss was about and didn't laugh once, didn't even enjoy the videos. There's much less popular gaming youtubers that can reduce me to tears of laughter.

I can honestly say I have never watched a single video of his.

Considering he is about to become the biggest channel on youtube, is there something wrong with me?

(This is coming from a guy who spends 2-3 hours a day on youtube)

It's a bit perplexing, but it's one phenomenal character that has caught fire like nobody else. The right combination of elements and it's appealed to millions. It doesn't have to make sense, but it's not difficult to comprehend how one guy can trigger such a following.

On the other hand, there's Minecraft machinima. Channels and channels and channels of Minecraft machinima, and they all have multi-million sub counts and zillions of views. It's not just one successful guy doing it, everyone is doing it and many channels have built empires out of it. I...how the?

I hadn't watched any of his videos until the Goat Simulator one, which I only found because I was watching everything that had to do with GS. It seems like the perfect match, a YouTuber acting as dumb as possible with what might be the stupidest game ever made.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.