Destiny: Loot Plot

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Destiny: Loot Plot

They're not even rare socks.

Read Full Article

Random drops are less than enjoyable, especially when leveling requires specific gear and there's no way to predict where that gear is. What, did level-appropriate treasure tables not fit in the budget?

*grumbles, returns to Crucible, realizes that the game is using lottery tactics to keep him playing, decides to continue anyways because it's pretty fun*

Eh, this kid shouldn't be that sad. PlayStation tops N64 anyway.

Ouch! His mother needed a visit from the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future.

Evidently this is a problem they are aware needs fixing. Until then, I guess I'm stockpiling my legendary engrams. :P

That was unexpectedly sweet. I do love a well-written back-story! :)

HAHAHA, best parenting ever. That mom is my new favorite character.

I just got off the Bungie forums because I was tired of people complaining about the loot system. At least this is mildly amusing, but still. Destiny is fun to play, people, regardless of what loot you get. Kind of like Christmas, but I guess you have to be a certain age to figure that out.

This was pretty great. Also she must be a warlock class because she is making that cigarette float in midair!

Daaaah Whoosh:
I just got off the Bungie forums because I was tired of people complaining about the loot system. At least this is mildly amusing, but still. Destiny is fun to play, people, regardless of what loot you get. Kind of like Christmas, but I guess you have to be a certain age to figure that out.

So in your mind, repetitive grinding with a bad loot system is fun?

People have some weird taste in terms of game play these days.....

It's not the destination that counts but the journey you take. And the second journey, and the third, and the fourth, and the fifth...

nodlimax:

Daaaah Whoosh:

I am not sure if its the loot system or the level system is my problem with the game, for they both seem tied together after level 20. Maybe if you didn't need the higher level gear for Light Levels it might not be so frustrating to people. I just wonder who thought of merging a loot system that is completely random like Classic Diablo 3 and then gating higher level content to that gear was a good thing?

Good lord. Grey, did a Bungie employee shoot your dog or something?
Also, people, if you really want a game to fart legs at you every two seconds till the experience loses all meaning Torchlight 2 is thattaway->. Now that was a shitty loot system IMO.

I still don't get the hate-on for Destiny, but its largely irrelevant because I'm having tons of fun and It's going to sell enough copies to be profitable and in all likelyhood spawn a sequel that will fix some or all of the issues I have with the foundationaly solid but flawed first try, which is what I generally hope for with a new IP. The fact that this is one of those cases where simply liking something is enough to generate salt is just icing on the cake.

And so the cycle of revenge continues. Will we ever learn?

As a long time WoW player, I have to ask;

Why the fuck do people think they're entitled to loot? Or good loot? Destiny is an MMO - you play for weeks or months in an MMO before getting what you want or need, much less the Best in Slot Item.

Yet Destiny has been out for less than 3 weeks and people already want to be Level 20+10, complete with Best in Slot Items? HA!

major_chaos:
Also, people, if you really want a game to fart legs at you every two seconds till the experience loses all meaning Torchlight 2 is thattaway->. Now that was a shitty loot system IMO.

This is what you get when you hype the shit out of game and delivers nothing at all.

It's nearly impossible to defend Destiny for what they did except like gunplay and graphic. Compare this game to Borderlands is an insult to gearbox. I would go as far as this game is just Payday 2 but better graphic and the drill(dinkbot) don't jam

Paragon Fury:

Why the fuck do people think they're entitled to loot? Or good loot?

They don't. Legendary engrams have a drop rate of like 3% (that's my drop rate, I don't have a hard number since it's RNG). The percentage of those engrams giving out a legendary item (for me) has been 25% and I've been called lucky. I know people who've been playing since day 1 who've never seen a legendary engram. Next add the fact that most end-game stuff, like the best Strike playlists and the only Raid, require you to be level 26. Now to get to level 26 you need 76 Light, but Rare items only give a max of 15 Light. So the max level you can get without Legendaries is 24 (15*4=60, level 25 requires 65 Light).

In short, without good loot it is impossible to do the end-game activities since you will be horribly underleveled. And the only method of getting said loot is a random grab bag.

Sanunes:

nodlimax:

Daaaah Whoosh:

I am not sure if its the loot system or the level system is my problem with the game, for they both seem tied together after level 20. Maybe if you didn't need the higher level gear for Light Levels it might not be so frustrating to people. I just wonder who thought of merging a loot system that is completely random like Classic Diablo 3 and then gating higher level content to that gear was a good thing?

So access to higher level content is... random.

Yeah, that's just stupid and messed up. At the very least provide the player with starter gear when they hit the level cap or the ability to buy the gear with an in-game economy.

The more I hear about this game, the less I want to give it a go. I was never impressed with Halo's controls and guns, so that wedded to a poorly thought-out loot-centric level grinder makes it sounds like a weird circle of hell.

Mind you, they can be fun... for a while. The sense that there's always something happening can cover up serious cracks in a game, but the moment you become bored with the central mechanic is the day you stop playing and never return.

Netrigan:

So access to higher level content is... random.

Yeah, that's just stupid and messed up. At the very least provide the player with starter gear when they hit the level cap or the ability to buy the gear with an in-game economy.

The more I hear about this game, the less I want to give it a go. I was never impressed with Halo's controls and guns, so that wedded to a poorly thought-out loot-centric level grinder makes it sounds like a weird circle of hell.

Mind you, they can be fun... for a while. The sense that there's always something happening can cover up serious cracks in a game, but the moment you become bored with the central mechanic is the day you stop playing and never return.

Don't take my word as first hand knowledge for my experience with Destiny is playing another person's copy, but from what I have seen from vendors in the game you can buy some legendary gear from participating in the Crucible or Fireteams, but it is a slow process. One account from a person going into Vault of Glass (Level 26 Raid) is that they spent around 50 hours grinding to get ready for it, between grinding reputation followed by grinding the gear itself.

I really think my problem with Destiny isn't a single element, but how multiple elements are interconnected within the game itself.

major_chaos:

I still don't get the hate-on for Destiny, but its largely irrelevant because I'm having tons of fun and It's going to sell enough copies to be profitable and in all likelyhood spawn a sequel that will fix some or all of the issues I have with the foundationaly solid but flawed first try, which is what I generally hope for with a new IP. The fact that this is one of those cases where simply liking something is enough to generate salt is just icing on the cake.

Well, the main reason for the hate-on seems to be eloquently (or rather the opposite) described in this movie:

nodlimax:

Daaaah Whoosh:

I wouldn't call it grinding. I'd call it playing a first-person-shooter over and over again. I did it with Halo, and it worked fine then without loot.

Paragon Fury:

Why the fuck do people think they're entitled to loot? Or good loot? Destiny is an MMO - you play for weeks or months in an MMO before getting what you want or need, much less the Best in Slot Item.

Yet Destiny has been out for less than 3 weeks and people already want to be Level 20+10, complete with Best in Slot Items? HA!

The difference between WoW and destiny is as follows:

In WoW if you want X piece of gear that is best in slot for raids in your current build, a simple google search tells you exactly what boss drops it and what is the drop rate. As long as you keep killing that boss, you will eventually get what you want.
In Destiny sometimes bosses drop a thingie called Legendary Engram. A very rare drop. You take this thingie to an NPC that decodes it and gives you an item. That item is a random piece of gear that may be any combination of the following: under your current level, a rare instead of a legendary (this happens most of the times btw), an item for a different class, an item that is not usefull for your style of play, actually a legendary. See the problem here? You have 0 ways to ensure you get what you need no matter how much you grind. You just have to pray.
The other shit aspect is the random loot gained at the end of a Strike. Each participant gets something. How is that loot assigned? Maybe performance and contribution determine the quality of gear you can get? Nope. The guy who spent the entire strike dying can get the best rewards. And what's worse? The rewards aren't class locked. You can get something that you can't even use on your current character. SO again, 0 ways to make sure you get what you want.

You see, it's not that people want them now, it's that people want to feel like they are actually working to get these items, instead of a frankly retarded loot system trolling them constantly. When you get something called Legendary Engram colored purple, the last thing you want is a blue item coming out of it.

DaWaffledude:
And so the cycle of revenge continues. Will we ever learn?

An eye for an eye makes the whole world grind.

Paragon Fury:

The whole point in loot-based games is the reward system. You put in effort and receive reward. This GREATLY increases your desire to play the game. If the system is poorly balanced, people will grow unsatisfied. You can't please everyone, but when your loot system has bullshit like giving you loot for different classes, or worse, give you class specific items with stats for a different class like Diablo 3 had at launch, people are going to be upset. What the players are entitled to doesn't even matter. A good loot system is VITAL for the long-time survival of a game like this.

Could somebody explain what the loot system is like?

Do people not get that in any other MMO there'd just be lower chances to get good loot? Destiny's loot system seems fine to me, complaints about how "I got a legendary engram but it wasn't a legendary" just sound like entitled whining to me, especially considering each engram also has a chance to give you an item a tier ABOVE it's rank.

Absolutely everything I've read, seen or heard about this game has given the impression of "don't buy this it sucks". Which is real weird to even be surprised by given the halo games were always incredibly over hyped and very disappointing. Seems like that's all Bungie has ever done; promise big deliver small. I guess I just figured 500 million would have helped a lot, but apparently spending insane amounts of money on nothing is super easy for them.

Maybe the day they finally decide to not be so deep up their own asses they'll actually put out a good product.

The little brat should be grateful. In Palestan all they have to eat are rocks and they would kill for some socks in between Russian airstrikes. Little Hamid got his fingers blown off in the same rocket that killed his family, now all he has is his trusty shaggy dog to wander the wasteland with. He's a pretty good shot with a varmint rifle, but his friends are even better.

...what was I talking about again?

canadamus_prime:
Ouch! His mother needed a visit from the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future.

If that happened, she would have changed her ways and we may not be living in the world we are now. Lady, your problem is with evolution for what pregnancy and childbirth did to your body, yet you're the one smoking and drinking a six-pack of brewskis on Xmas Morning.

I laughed, I cried, then I laughed some more when I realized I wasn't actually crying.

This was a really good one.

Mahorfeus:
Evidently this is a problem they are aware needs fixing. Until then, I guess I'm stockpiling my legendary engrams. :P

Pretty sure the content of the engram is determined on drop, not on decryption. Least thats whats been going around the sub on Reddit.

How... Heartless! Could've given him some smokes, at least! She's got enough to spare.

Darth_Payn:

canadamus_prime:

If that happened, she would have changed her ways and we may not be living in the world we are now. Lady, your problem is with evolution for what pregnancy and childbirth did to your body, yet you're the one smoking and drinking a six-pack of brewskis on Xmas Morning.

Bah, booze and fags will keep her all thin and lovely. It's that darn kid that needs "proper, balanced meals" and whatnot, ruining everything.

The loot system was the very very least of my problems with this game. Destiny grew very repetitive within two days of playing, mainly because I'd finished the main story, got bored of playing the same missions over and over again with little reward.....and I refuse to pay innumerate installments of £15-20 over the next 10 years.

Screw that business plan, its a dangerous precedent.

Queen Michael:
Could somebody explain what the loot system is like?

Upon killing any enemy there is a slight chance that an item called an engram will drop in the form of a colored orb. Standard MMO colors apply, green common, blue rare, purple legendary. The engram in your inventory has an indicator as to which item slot the result will fit into. Picture of a gun, glove, boot etc.

The engram is taken back to the central hub of the game called the tower and turned in to an NPC called The Cryptarch. He takes the engram and wipes his... I mean, hands you the resulting randomly generated loot. The trouble is, after hours of tedious grind when you finally get a purple drop, the purple drop has a bout a 60% chance of not being purple at all, but blue. On the rare chance that the drop is, praise the random number generator Jesus, a purple; one of a couple things happen.

One, the item was a weapon of one of the three types ( Primary, Secondary, Heavy) and is then converted into a random weapon type within those categories. For example, a primary weapon randomly generates as either an auto rifle, pulse rifle, scout rifle, or hand cannon.

Two, the item was a piece of armor. In which case you are handed a purple piece of armor that can be for any class in the game, not just yours. So you got lucky enough for a drop, got extremely lucky enough for that drop to be purple, turned it in and hit the roughly 37% chance that the purple stays purple when turned in, then get handed the result with only a 33% chance that it is actually something for the class you play. P.S. the game has no mechanic to trade items between players, so you are stuck with it.

According to Bungie's ass brained devs, this was because it gave the Cryptarch NPC "a personality" during playtesting.

Edit: oh, and one more thing! The items, when awarded, are just a shell of what they are capable of ntil you wear them and earn metric assloads of experience, thus progressively unlocking abilities for the gear (better defense value/increased light, a stat that determines your character level over 20, special abilities, etc.

Trouble is the last 3 upgrades on the item take 6 of an item called an ascendant shard (for armor) or ascendant energy (for weapons) which are rare to the point of unattainable for 99% of the game's population and the only way to reliably attain them is to destroy purple gear, which might give you two.

I feel I should also point out that to bring a set of armor to full upgraded status requires 72 of these.

Jokes on that kid, I don't play Destiny, so his global vengeance has been thwarted. Mmmuahahahaha!!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here