Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review - The Ring of Truth

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stepping into Middle-earth as a wraith-possessed ranger is amazingly fun.

Read Full Article

This sounds like the perfect game for me.

I hope people copy the Nemesis mechanic in this game like they did the fighting mechanic in the Arkham games...

Nice review. Makes me a lot less anxious over whether the game will be good or bad. It also makes me a lot less patient too. I can't wait to play it.

Well that is surprising. Thought the game looked pretty generic from the first gameplay demo and never followed up on it. But now...I might just have to check this out.

I am unbelievably excited for this game. The next 4 days are going to be like being promised something AWESOME...but I have to watch paint dry for 4 straight days before I can have said AWESOME.

So I've paid basically no attention to this game, thinking it was just an Assassin's Creed knock off, but now I'm interested. I'm definitely gonna have to look into this one some more.

Lol, I wish I had saved my money for this instead of buying Destiny. Probably would've gotten more enjoyment out of it.

I was pretty excited for this game. Glad to hear that it'll probably live up to my expectations. This is the first game that's given me a reason to pick up a next gen console (the devs said that the nemesis system wouldn't work as well on last gen).

I find myself disappointed you can only play the one character in this rather than, say, either Talion or his wife.

Not because it's such a bad thing to only have the one character choice. I just like options. (And what can I say, I like playing female characters.)

Still, I had been ignoring this game sorta assuming it'd just be yet another LotR game that wouldn't amount to much. Now I feel like I should at least check out some Let's Plays or something and give it some consideration.

Hmmm, didnt know it was out now, hell, I thought it would be next year.

Sometimes its cool that these studios dont intruduce their games in their concept stage (looking at you Phantom Pain)

This one was kinda flying under my radar until very recently. Like a lot of people, I kind of had this one pegged as a crappy Assassin's Creed clone.

Now I realise it's more than that, and I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing the reviews on this one.

Glad to see it may be worth my time when I have a system that can handle it.

Ok, i can take that as a Certification of Not Shit.

Now just need to wait and see how the PC version turns out.

I still think this game would be a lot better if it were a new IP instead of LoTR. But I'm glad that it's good. It's been getting great reviews from a lot of websites.

Greg Tito:

Read Full Article

Is this getting a 360 release? Colour me interested.

bjj hero:

Greg Tito:

Read Full Article

Is this getting a 360 release? Colour me interested.

Yeah it is but Monolith said that the Nemesis system is a bit dummed down in previous gen systems so keep that in mind.

If only it wasnt LOTR and actually its own brand.

Bloody indusry vultures taking a crap all over the lore.

I wonder how this game will fit in the lore. Probably won't end well for the protagonist, considering Sauron is still alive and his forces are firmly in control of Mordor during the prologue of Fellowship. Not sure how Gollum could be in it, that battle which Sauron lost the Ring was thousands of years before The Hobbit.

Finding out in game should be interesting.

Adam Jensen:
I still think this game would be a lot better if it were a new IP instead of LoTR. But I'm glad that it's good. It's been getting great reviews from a lot of websites.

Yeah, I think all of the vitriol responses I've seen on youtube and stuff like "Tolkien is rolling in his grave! This shit rapes the lore!" and blah blah, is somewhat tiresome. I do think they put it in the Tolkien-verse for marketing purposes, and it was effective in that regard. But yeah, it doesn't feel like a Middle-Earth thing to me.

Not that I mind really, I couldn't care less if they are making changes to the lore, as lore-purists are highly annoying to me. If the game is fun, then it's fun and I'm fine with that.

But I wouldn't have minded it being it's own IP, just so it could go wherever it liked with the stuff, without fan-rage.

008Zulu:
I wonder how this game will fit in the lore. Probably won't end well for the protagonist, considering Sauron is still alive and his forces are firmly in control of Mordor during the prologue of Fellowship. Not sure how Gollum could be in it, that battle which Sauron lost the Ring was thousands of years before The Hobbit.

Finding out in game should be interesting.

My guess is it ends with him being killed, and he, and the shade possessing him will both find piece after their vengeance has been fulfilled. They will likely have to save somebody's life too, to show that they haven't been totally consumed by their thirst for vengeance, and can still help the world of the living. Then, the hero will probably see the shades of his family there to embrace him, and then fade to white, cue credits.

Most vengeance stories where "My family is dead, and I barely survived death myself" end pretty much the same.

In the UK its out on 3rd October for PC/PS4/XB1 and 21st November for 360/PS3. This looks like a fun game, shocked about the length it can take to complete but i think it will also be a really fun time. Plus i like collecting stuff in games....as long as they add something like background story etc An the Nemesis system looks excellent, hopefully it will be used in other games.

Dangit, dangit, dangit.... I wanted this game, but passed on it because I had already had too many picked out for the fall. I am going to have to wait, but I do plan on getting this.

About the length, the game is pretty cheap on the PC if you shop around for a box (maybe keys too after release).

At 35 Euros I can live with 10 hours if it's good. Hell I prefer it to be short, still have to finish Divinity:OS and DG2 while Styx:MoS and DA2 are on the horizon ... so many games, so little time.

PS. I prefer more money ending up at the developer but if they make it so cheap for me to buy a box then I'll do it ...

This game hasn't been on my radar at all, but honestly that sounds REALLLLLLY interesting. My game budget is tapped out atm, but I'll remember this.

Yes, but can I play as Tom Bombadil?

Sounds like a great game. Why's it in Middle Earth? Who decided they wanted to make an assassination game with interesting, unique, and evolving villains, and their first thought was...."ORCS!"

Your review has reassured me of this game. I can't wait for Tuesday now.

I'll admit I'm curious about the nemesis system though. Is it never-ending, like once I beat the game I can still kill orcs and they'll advance as necessary. Or once I beat the game does it just go away?

Michael Dunkerton:
Sounds like a great game. Why's it in Middle Earth? Who decided they wanted to make an assassination game with interesting, unique, and evolving villains, and their first thought was...."ORCS!"

Was probably the other way around. Monolith was given permission to use the Brand and started building it out from there. Does seem a bit atypical though. 'Course, the way I see it, that's part of the charm of the game.

lax4life:

*hisses at you* Get out of here with your prancing tree hugger shite! If it's not dark and broody, it's CRAHP! *said with Mike Meyer's Scottish accent*

Seriously though, Tom can just burn in a forest fire and I will toast marshmallows on his flaming corpse. xD

Happyninja42:
Yeah, I think all of the vitriol responses I've seen on youtube and stuff like "Tolkien is rolling in his grave! This shit rapes the lore!" and blah blah, is somewhat tiresome. I do think they put it in the Tolkien-verse for marketing purposes, and it was effective in that regard. But yeah, it doesn't feel like a Middle-Earth thing to me.

I don't care about that. I'm not a very big fan of LoTR. It's just that we could use more fresh new IP's. And there's only so much they can do with a lore as rich as LoTR. New IP would allow a lot more creative freedom. But because it's LoTR, they can't make up a lot of new things. It's just LoTR stuff all over again.

Happyninja42:

lax4life:

*hisses at you* Get out of here with your prancing tree hugger shite! If it's not dark and broody, it's CRAHP! *said with Mike Meyer's Scottish accent*

Seriously though, Tom can just burn in a forest fire and I will toast marshmallows on his flaming corpse. xD

Tom is obviously the greatest and most powerful beings of Middle Earth. Even the Valar tremble at his presence.

Pinky's Brain:
About the length, the game is pretty cheap on the PC if you shop around for a box (maybe keys too after release).

At 35 Euros I can live with 10 hours if it's good.

That seems to be just the main story. I've heard that other activities take more than 25h. My incredible math skills are telling me that that's at least 35h of content.

lax4life:

Happyninja42:

lax4life:

Tom is obviously the greatest and most powerful beings of Middle Earth. Even the Valar tremble at his presence.

As amusing as that post is, Tom can still go die in a fire. xD I couldn't stand him. After dragging the story through Hobbiton for painful chapter after painful chapter, Tolkien then dumps the hobbit's into one of the weirdest Big Lipped Alligator Moments in literature. Tom just prances in, acts like he's dosed to the gills on a gallon of acid, an actual gallon. Seriously I don't know where he got it, he never leaves the forest. And then he prances away, and I was like "....the fuck just happened??! Did I fall into a Timothy Leary story or something all of a sudden!?! Fuck that guy!" xD

So the Nemesis system works then? Because that, for me, will make or break the game. It sounds like it truly lives up to all the promises that they said in the trailers. I guess, when I do get around to getting a PS4, I now have a game to get with it. This makes me smile.

Thanks Greg, excited for Tuesday... I am such a Monolith fan.

Adam Jensen:

Happyninja42:

I don't care about that. I'm not a very big fan of LoTR. It's just that we could use more fresh new IP's. And there's only so much they can do with a lore as rich as LoTR. New IP would allow a lot more creative freedom. But because it's LoTR, they can't make up a lot of new things. It's just LoTR stuff all over again.

Oh I agree, but I do think they were banking on the LOTR brand to draw in publicity and customers. Something they might not have been able to do if it was a new IP. I'm looking forward to the game a great deal.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.