Star Wars: Rebels Review: The Force Is Strong with This One

Star Wars: Rebels Review: The Force Is Strong with This One

Rebels is the latest entry into the Star Wars universe and it's off to a good start.

Read Full Article

Huh, so that started. Well, for one thing, it would seem they smoothed out the animation quite a bit from that preview clip that came out a few months ago, and thank goodness for that as it was pretty unpleasant. I'll have to check it out...

Personally, I enjoyed the Clone Wars. I'm the first to admit there were a load of pointless senate episodes and more pointless filler, but the last season with the annexation of Mandalore and all the fights that followed were pretty awesome.

The first (two?) episode was okay, but it shows the potential to become a lot more. If they can show us the birth of the rebellion through the lens of this motley crew, I'm sure that it can become something exellent.

Well, for one thing, it would seem they smoothed out the animation quite a bit

Speaking of which, I kinda liked the contorted-puppet style of The Clone Wars' animation: it made the lightsaber fights look less like over choreographed ballets and more battle between vaguely insectoid creatures trying to behead each others: the Jedi became a lot more unnerving than in the movies when they were shown going from courteous, overtly polite gents to giant laser-clawed mantises in a heartbeat, which in turn made them look much more formidable.
That's probably an accidental effect of the way the previous series was animated, but it worked for me, and I fear they'll bring back the ballets with this series.

Color me pleasantly surprised. The show appears to capture many of the elements that made Star Wars so popular in the first place without feeling too much like a "paint by the numbers" routine. I'm loving how, despite doing away with the old EU, there are plenty of elements from it that are being reintroduced into the new continuity (holocrons, the ISB, Imperial Inquisitors, etc.).

Having said that, the "light-slingshot" or whatever is still stupid. Just give the kid a blaster and be done with it.

Before we continue, can we acknowledge that it's very easy for the Rebel Alliance to look like villains without context? When the first major battle occurs in Rebels, the only thing we've seen the Empire do is arrest someone selling food without a license. Sure, they're a little dickish about it, but come on. Food safety is important. The Rebel forces, on the other hand, set off bombs in a populated city, steal Imperial cargo, and gleefully shoot down soldiers in the street. These aren't the underdog Rebels who fled a Star Destroyer; these guys start on the offensive, and prove to be a significant threat. It's no wonder Darth Vader is hunting them personally by the time Episode IV rolls around.

But don't worry, these Rebels are cartoonishly good-hearted freedom fighters, not terrorists. The Ghost's mercenary crew is motivated by pure intentions, and will do absolutely anything to help the common alien. Those cargo crates were filled with food the Empire kept from starving farmers who were evicted from prime real estate. Meanwhile, Stormtroopers openly use Wookies as slave labor, and anyone questioning Imperial policy is arrested for treason.

Sure, I get wanting the Empire to look bad, but that's pretty heavy-handed, even by cartoon standards. At one point a Stormtrooper stops fighting rebels so he can literally chase a terrified Wookie toddler for five minutes. The murders of Uncle Ben and Aunt Beru were more subtle than this, and it reduces everyone involved into one-dimensional archetypes. Thankfully, once we've established that yes, the Rebels are good and the Empire is unredeemably evil, we can start getting to the fun stuff.

Look, I get it. The Empire is cool, what with their huge starships, stompy war machines and kickass "Imperial March." And yes, introducing some moral ambiguity can work extremely well when done right. Just look at Tie Fighter, a.k.a. the best damn Star Wars game ever made. I don't care how much you attempt to deconstruct it though, the Empire is meant to be evil. Remember, this is the organization that destroyed an entire planet and killed billions just because they wanted to ("Dantooine is too remote to make an effective demonstration, but don't worry. We will deal with your Rebel friends soon enough"). They are Space Nazis, pure and simple, and no amount of headcanon retconning is going to change that.

Also, this is, you know, meant for kids and all. I don't think they're going to go with "challenging shades of grey morality" in a Star Wars kids' show.

I like the animation. High quality stuff. Audio's kind of shit though. It's Star Wars, the musical score and action needs to be louder then what it is. And frankly, it would do the show a favor because the VA is pretty bad as far as that 7 minute preview is concerned.

Also, the Protag (ezra?) is kind of grating and looks like Aladdin...

Not helped by the fact they are both street urchins in a desert city.

The episode isn't up online, just the behind the scenes.

Neverhoodian:
snip

Who's arguing that the Empire is cool?

I'm not saying Rebels would be better if it were morally grey. I'm saying the good-vs-evil dynamic is so strong that these characters are one-dimensional for most of the pilot. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

In the movies, Han Solo was a good guy, but still a criminal rogue. Tarkin wasn't just scary because he blew up worlds, but because he was so eerily pragmatic about the option. Those characters were more interesting because they went beyond "good/evil for the sake of being good/evil". These characters aren't quite there yet.

Kids can really pick up on those finer points too; the DCAU had some great examples (especially Season 1 of Justice League: Unlimited).

But I totally agree about that light-slingshot...

I enjoyed it for the most part. Ezra better start having a better personality and storyline though, or I'm going to get real tired of him. When he turned out to be Force-sensitive, I rolled my eyes. Because heaven forbid that we get a Star Wars story where the new player isn't a Force user. He is also a walking cliche in my head: Loner kid, no parents, street smart, trust issues, heart of gold, etc...I did like the fact that he took the fruit though, so he broke the mold a little there.
Another thing that bothered me were the white circles in everyone's eyes. Drove me nuts.

The rest of the characters are interesting and amusing enough for me to enjoy though. I do have to wonder how Sabine is able to not stand out, seeing as her armor would be instantly recognizable. I'll keep watching this show for certain, and I hope Ahsoka shows up eventually, just to find out what happens to her. I'm curious to see what happens to all of these characters, actually. Will the show have the nerve to kill them, seeing as none of them are even mentioned in the original trilogy, or are they going to slip into the background and reappear in the new movies?

I'mm looking forward to the series and sounding the hunt when the figures come out. Sabine's is high on my hunt list.

Captcha: snare drum
Yes, drum roll please.

I loved this first episode, it was very reminescent of the old Star Wars movies, only of course with some chances, but one scene i loved was when Kanan decided to fight as a Jedi.

Really, he just started walking while assembling his lightsaber and dodging blaster shots like it was easy. And when he did used the saber? The effect in everyone involved was very cool. I imagine that in some Stormtrooper heads there was probably that thought that they were all dead when he started deflecting the beams.

I'm just glad it's a star wars show not entirely centered around jedi/sith fights like everything else has been since the prequels.

Kind of wish they could make these cartoons without having to pander to kids and the pre-teen demo. Already cannot stand Ezra.

Voice acting was good aside from Freddy Prinze who is apparently as bland a voice actor as he is on screen.

Some comical moments with the storm troopers actually made the episode for me. From the scene in the detention center to the end scene with the imperial agent. I'll be interested to see if they actually show them without helmets at some stage and whether or not any fett-clones will make an appearance.

Imperial agent was incredibly generic but the Inquisitor looks cool.

Also, thought the wookies looked really weird compared to the art style used in clone wars...like they were too skinny and lacked proper definition and fur texturing.

I'm not a big fan of Computer Animated series, but I think the pilot was a good start. We got a decent sense of the various crew members and their skills and personalities, with a few standing out. It had some good set pieces and action. And perhaps most importantly, it felt like Star Wars, using the familiar music, sounds, and designs we all know and love.

I wouldn't call it great, but pilots rarely are. If I took my impression of the new TMNT series from the pilot, I may not be enjoying it to this day. We'll see if episode 3 is an improvement on what has already been established.

To me, this looks like the Clone Wars with the endless gold stores of Disney backing it, which is good. The only problem I have? This sh*t is violent as fuck. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem, but (spoiler) the last part where the ISB agent kicks the stormtrooper off the column? That isn't funny, that's terrible in a kids show, especially since it feels it was there to garner laughs. It kinda contradicts the mood that they're trying to set. It would be better of they just went dark and gritty the way the Clone Wars did in the final seasons.

While not being to impressed with the characters and the like it is rare that I get engaged in a show based on the first episode. So I'm gonna give that a shot.
What bothered me though was that in an era where Disney actively discredits old cliches in their movies they are so ready to jump on the 'Stormtroopers suck at their job' bandwagon. Those are elite troops! Most of them (at this point in the timeline) are clone wars veterans! They know their sh*t!
Also a bit disappointed that while they did bring Kessel back as a spice mine where wookie-slaves work, they redconned all the cool stuff about it, like the maw-cluster and the resulting difficulty maintaining an atmosphere.
And for goodness sake being a jedi isn't an on/off switch! I was so happy when they showed the kid having small precognitions as a sign of him being force sensitive and then they just go into overdrive and show him levitating objects and force-jumping (relatively advanced techniques) 30 minutes later.
Is it too much to ask for semi-realistic pacing? Showing that it actually takes work and training to get good at something?

Anyway I'm sure it is going to be mildly entertaining but I'm not holding my breath.

Ragsnstitches:
I like the animation. High quality stuff. Audio's kind of shit though. It's Star Wars, the musical score and action needs to be louder then what it is. And frankly, it would do the show a favor because the VA is pretty bad as far as that 7 minute preview is concerned.

Yeah, he's totally Space Alladin. He was also called a "street rat" once or twice during the pilot.

But honestly, I don't care about that. That's probably got some Disney influence in there somewhere, but I think it's the creators playing it a little safe. He's the main character... kinda, but I'm a little hesitant to totally call him that. He's the character the audience is attached to because they're both new to all of this. But with a cast of characters like this, it's kinda like they're all the main characters. As long as he changes a bit and has some interesting moments, I don't really care. There's the rest of the cast to watch if he gets boring. But as bland as he is, he's still 110% better than every anime protagonist I've seen in the past year. But eh... maybe that's not such an accomplishment.

Don't agree about the VA. I think it's great. Most of these guys are professional actors, and the rest are voice actors who've appeared in a fuck ton of games. Maybe it does have to do with the audio, though. It was kinda off in some places.

OT: Yeah, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. It's already started out stronger than Clone Wars did. And it's not tied down to the awful prequel source material.

Also from what I've read. They're grabbing stuff from the EU as they see fit. There is a Tie Fighter pilot who shows up later with the title of Baron. He's in one of the clips. That's a nod to Soontir Fel from what I can tell. So we'll see how it goes. As for the the show being too "kiddie." Yeah, it is, and? What? Do people want it to try and be dark like Clone Wars did, and fail miserably just the same? Star Wars has dark themes, and a few dark moments, but the overall tone is not dark. Only a scarce few times has the series ever handled it well and made it compelling.

Ragsnstitches:

Quick note; it wasn't a desert, it was planet Saskatchewan. Fields of grain everywhere.

Ishal:
Space Alladin

Not just Space Alladin, Jedi Alladin.

Which pretty much is the only reason I'm even interested in this.

I wish there was a way to have a Genie in there too. Dose Obi-Wan hologram(s) count?

Am I missing anything if I did not watch all the earlier seasons of clone wars? I only watched the first 3 seasons of that show.

Fanghawk:
Sure, I get wanting the Empire to look bad, but that's pretty heavy-handed, even by cartoon standards. At one point a Stormtrooper stops fighting rebels so he can literally chase a terrified Wookie toddler for five minutes. The murders of Uncle Ben and Aunt Beru were more subtle than this, and it reduces everyone involved into one-dimensional archetypes. Thankfully, once we've established that yes, the Rebels are good and the Empire is unredeemably evil, we can start getting to the fun stuff.

But... they are unredeemably evil. They are space nazi's. Yes... not all Nazis were evil. But the majority were. And most of the ones we're likely to see certainly are. They're military and have been conditioned and indoctrinated just like the actual Nazis were.

Look, I get what you're saying and I don't completely disagree. The trooper chasing the kid wookie was kinda lame. However that doesn't mean he was going to kill him.

I just watched the third episode and it was much better than the pilot. Some parts were subtle, while others were overt. But the show is not afraid to go into darker territory, trust me. But if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read below.

But don't worry, these Rebels are cartoonishly good-hearted freedom fighters, not terrorists. The Ghost's mercenary crew is motivated by pure intentions, and will do absolutely anything to help the common alien. Those cargo crates were filled with food the Empire kept from starving farmers who were evicted from prime real estate

It's not entirely clear in the episode, but it's actually worse than that. Those cargo crates weren't filled with food. They were filled with military grade weapons that the Ghost's crew sold to the black market. I assume they then used the profits to buy the food. A noble cause, sure, but it doesn't change the fact that our heroes are closer to the Sons of Anarchy than Robin Hood and his Merry Men.

hakkarin:
Am I missing anything if I did not watch all the earlier seasons of clone wars? I only watched the first 3 seasons of that show.

Well, you're missing out on some of the best Star Wars stories out there, but nothing directly related to Star Wars: Rebels.

As long as you've seen Episode III, or are even vaguely aware of what happened in it, you're fine.

Ragsnstitches:

Couldn't agree more. Feels like gratuitous Disneyfication to me. The Ghost crew seems like they could be interesting tho.

What bothers me most is the dialogue and general sound editing. In the 7m clip there, almost all you hear is music, engine sounds and clipped speech. No background noise, no sounds from characters except when they're speaking, or the odd footfall when it's obvious. Feels empty, somehow.

I did like the clone wars, so I'll look forward to seeing if rebels can live up to that legacy ... but so far I'm not terribly impressed.

So I've stated quite a few times that I don't particularly enjoy Star Wars and this was no different.

The whole thing felt so Disney that I felt queasy throughout it.
If there's anything suffering from tropes, this is it. There must be over a hundred clichés in those 45 minutes and the whole "one hero/chosen one" thing is just too much. ("Ezra"? Seriously? All I could think of was Ezri Dax.)

If this is an indication of the upcoming movies, then there's no reason at all to go see them.
Isn't this supposed to be the connecting stories between episode six and seven by the way? If this Ezra guy cameos in them, it's all going to royally suck.

I was going to say "this art style looks like one of those tv or direct to DVD Disney shows" but oh wait...

Ragsnstitches:

Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat tell you all about it when I got the time! *Runs off with Imperial weapons*

undeadsuitor:
I'm just glad it's a star wars show not entirely centered around jedi/sith fights like everything else has been since the prequels.

At the risk of spoilers, it heavily looks like we're going to have a Jedi Master and Apprentice. Though according to Wookiepedia from the way he's dressed up their big bad is going to be an inquisitor whom- according to oldie star wars (Expanded Universe) fans Isn't -actually- a sith, just a badass normal on their payroll. So yea, Jedi vs Empire more than Jedi vs Sith.

Kusko25:
While not being to impressed with the characters and the like it is rare that I get engaged in a show based on the first episode. So I'm gonna give that a shot.
What bothered me though was that in an era where Disney actively discredits old cliches in their movies they are so ready to jump on the 'Stormtroopers suck at their job' bandwagon. Those are elite troops! Most of them (at this point in the timeline) are clone wars veterans! They know their sh*t!
Also a bit disappointed that while they did bring Kessel back as a spice mine where wookie-slaves work, they redconned all the cool stuff about it, like the maw-cluster and the resulting difficulty maintaining an atmosphere.
And for goodness sake being a jedi isn't an on/off switch! I was so happy when they showed the kid having small precognitions as a sign of him being force sensitive and then they just go into overdrive and show him levitating objects and force-jumping (relatively advanced techniques) 30 minutes later.
Is it too much to ask for semi-realistic pacing? Showing that it actually takes work and training to get good at something?

Anyway I'm sure it is going to be mildly entertaining but I'm not holding my breath.

Actually according to current lore, the Empire disposed of all its clone troopers after the Clone Wars. Many of them suffered from PTSD from the war and having killed their generals, as such the vast majority if not all of them were deemed unsuitable for the new imperial army by the Emperor and in a mad decision he sentenced them all to basically death by slave-mines.

As a result all the current Stormtroopers which are supposed to be the elite, haven't had the proper training. The Empire miscalculated the speed at which they could train and replace clonetroopers and as a result the majority of their stormtroopers now are undertrained conscripts, not really wanting to be there and not particularly high in spirit not necessarily able to hit much.

Notable exception would be star-ship pilots whom they still 'have' to give the neccesary training due to the expensive craft they steer.

Back to the clones, the clones already suffered from accelerated growth, which meant they were going to hit their twilight years within a decade as things stood at the end of the clone wars. As such the Emperor was left with dying clone troops that 'granted' had to do his every whim but after Order 66 felt less than enthusiastic about it. Rather than having them continue to serve and having to actually compensate them for winning the clone wars, the Emperor saved a lot of money for his budding empire by simply scrapping the lot of them, and the Mines probably made their last 20 years in the Universe more like their last 5 years.

Which effectively means that the death of the tens of millions (If not 200 million which it is by some estimates) Clone Troopers is probably the first actual genocide the Emperor commited. Arguably it could have been what really sparked rebellious sentiment, the public could be swayed to believe the Jedi betrayed them and that the clones were the 'real' heroes (They were credited for even the battles won by the jedi, the jedi generals were erased from history) But they couldn't really be convinced that not compensating the troops and sending them off to die in the mines was a good idea.

First planet to rebel (maybe as a result, maybe not) was Naboo, however the Naboo rebellion was quickly quelled and their current (And last) queen was executed.

------

As for making 'more' Clone Troops. I suppose that's an option, they could use Jango Fetts kid since, youknow, he's dead and his cloning material was stolen from the facilities during the clone wars.

But I think the Emperor might have disposed of the corrupt people who ran that facility regardless, in order to tie up loose ends. So the technology might indeed have been lost entirely, we see as the Clone Wars progress more and more technology is actually lost in the war, and by the time we reach the old trilogy the technology is far less advanced than it was during the height of the old republic as trade and intellect has stagnated.

The conclusion is, from my point of view- the Stormtroopers are said in Propaganda to be elite but really they're a bunch of conscripts with little to no training, who don't really want to be there but are forced to serve under threat of death. They could easily desert and when they face rebels chances are they don't even really want to kill them, they're just under orders to and if they don't they're going to face execution themselves, so at the very least they have to open fire in their vague direction and their subconciousness will cause them to miss the very human and not-faceless rebels they are fighting.

Anakin aka Darth Vader loved his clonetroopers, the 501st were made 'Vaders Fist' and were probably the only clonetroopers to survive the emperors wrath. However Anakin was still furious at the emperor for his decision to kill off his former combrades, and afterwards he actually plans to overthrow Darth Sidious and become a Benevolent Dictator himself (At least youknow, he wants to. How benevolent Darth Vader would be without his face-heel turn is not really up to question, he'd most likely be a really shitty ruler). When his son appears he is completely ready to put this plan into motion, but his Son (Quite rightly) see him as an evil maniac and therefore rejects the offer.

But still, there is good inside him (His feelings for the clone troopers and his son) which is how he later redeems himself in the eyes of the force. And he does ironically enough bring balance to it.

Nikolaz72:

undeadsuitor:

At the risk of spoilers, it heavily looks like we're going to have a Jedi Master and Apprentice. Though according to Wookiepedia from the way he's dressed up their big bad is going to be an inquisitor whom- according to oldie star wars (Expanded Universe) fans Isn't -actually- a sith, just a badass normal on their payroll. So yea, Jedi vs Empire more than Jedi vs Sith.

You're right, but it seems to be much more of an original trilogy thing where the jedi are mixed in with everyone else, instead of it being COMPLETELY centered around them. And even then, the "jedi master" is less of a borish master archetype and more of a...han solo lovable rogue that happens to be a jedi.

so like.... its a show thats apeing more of the original trilogy (lovable rogues, wookie stand in, frontier towns, darth vader expy) and less of the prequels (politics, more jedi, politics, stuffy masters, politics)

and thats why I like it

Nikolaz72:

Actually according to current lore, the Empire disposed of all its clone troopers after the Clone Wars. Many of them suffered from PTSD from the war and having killed their generals, as such the vast majority if not all of them were deemed unsuitable for the new imperial army by the Emperor and in a mad decision he sentenced them all to basically death by slave-mines.

As a result all the current Stormtroopers which are supposed to be the elite, haven't had the proper training. The Empire miscalculated the speed at which they could train and replace clonetroopers and as a result the majority of their stormtroopers now are undertrained conscripts, not really wanting to be there and not particularly high in spirit not necessarily able to hit much.

Notable exception would be star-ship pilots whom they still 'have' to give the neccesary training due to the expensive craft they steer.

Back to the clones, the clones already suffered from accelerated growth, which meant they were going to hit their twilight years within a decade as things stood at the end of the clone wars. As such the Emperor was left with dying clone troops that 'granted' had to do his every whim but after Order 66 felt less than enthusiastic about it. Rather than having them continue to serve and having to actually compensate them for winning the clone wars, the Emperor saved a lot of money for his budding empire by simply scrapping the lot of them, and the Mines probably made their last 20 years in the Universe more like their last 5 years.

Which effectively means that the death of the tens of millions (If not 200 million which it is by some estimates) Clone Troopers is probably the first actual genocide the Emperor commited. Arguably it could have been what really sparked rebellious sentiment, the public could be swayed to believe the Jedi betrayed them and that the clones were the 'real' heroes (They were credited for even the battles won by the jedi, the jedi generals were erased from history) But they couldn't really be convinced that not compensating the troops and sending them off to die in the mines was a good idea.

First planet to rebel (maybe as a result, maybe not) was Naboo, however the Naboo rebellion was quickly quelled and their current (And last) queen was executed.

------

As for making 'more' Clone Troops. I suppose that's an option, they could use Jango Fetts kid since, youknow, he's dead and his cloning material was stolen from the facilities during the clone wars.

But I think the Emperor might have disposed of the corrupt people who ran that facility regardless, in order to tie up loose ends. So the technology might indeed have been lost entirely, we see as the Clone Wars progress more and more technology is actually lost in the war, and by the time we reach the old trilogy the technology is far less advanced than it was during the height of the old republic as trade and intellect has stagnated.

The conclusion is, from my point of view- the Stormtroopers are said in Propaganda to be elite but really they're a bunch of conscripts with little to no training, who don't really want to be there but are forced to serve under threat of death. They could easily desert and when they face rebels chances are they don't even really want to kill them, they're just under orders to and if they don't they're going to face execution themselves, so at the very least they have to open fire in their vague direction and their subconciousness will cause them to miss the very human and not-faceless rebels they are fighting.

Anakin aka Darth Vader loved his clonetroopers, the 501st were made 'Vaders Fist' and were probably the only clonetroopers to survive the emperors wrath. However Anakin was still furious at the emperor for his decision to kill off his former combrades, and afterwards he actually plans to overthrow Darth Sidious and become a Benevolent Dictator himself (At least youknow, he wants to. How benevolent Darth Vader would be without his face-heel turn is not really up to question, he'd most likely be a really shitty ruler). When his son appears he is completely ready to put this plan into motion, but his Son (Quite rightly) see him as an evil maniac and therefore rejects the offer.

But still, there is good inside him (His feelings for the clone troopers and his son) which is how he later redeems himself in the eyes of the force. And he does ironically enough bring balance to it.

Ooh, I like that explanation. Source?

Edit: Aaaand, I accidentally posted in a weeks-old thread. Because I'm smart like that.

DaWaffledude:
Ooh, I like that explanation. Source?

No single source my young padawan. But trust me, they are all canon. The non-canon stuff was left out of this one.

A lot of them is from watching season 1 through 6 of the animated clone wars series which is still canon. It shows a much more organic slip for Anakin into the dark side as opposed to the new trilogies horrific writing.

It also shows him develope feelings for the clone troopers he is fighting along side, it gives them personalities and humanity. It's well known that fighting alongside others developes a bond, ask any soldier.

The original trilogy is still canon, Darth Vader offers his son a place of power and to rule the galaxy alongside him, this means he is going to kill the Emperor and assume his place as a more cynical version of the dictator he planned himself to be originally. He actually gave his wife the same offer in the 'new' trilogy (Which is also still canon) At that point before his wife was dead he did plan on killing the emperor and making himself an emperor. And probably being a lot more humane than after he has lost his wife and had most of his body melted in lava.

Nevertheless even after all of that Darth Vader is 'still' better than the sitting emperor in the original Trilogy. I know that's arguable but -really- he is not portrayed as worse. In the written source material he is made more or less sympathetic through his apprentices, again in these a plan to overthrow the emperor is spoken of but never carried out.

The degraded technology is also canon. George Lucas had to explain why the technology in the new trilogy looked much more fancy than in the old despite time having actually advanced. The explanation was that the Clone Wars was extremely destructive and some races were outright exterminated during and immediately following them- both of these lead to the loss of technology. Making old technology actually rare and wanted in the aftermath.

Calling the clone troopers being sent to the mines a 'genocide' is perhaps a liberal use of the term. He did kill millions of sentient beings for the sake of convenience and practicality so I'd say it still counts. It's actually mentioned off hand in the lore of the new series.

The Propaganda portraying Jedi as evil is already hinted at in episode 3 when the Emperor kills all the Jedi. He spins it to be a 'Militaristic Jedi is Overthrowing the Democratically Elected Senator' sorta thing, it works because the Jedi at this time were actually overthrowing him (or trying to) since they found out he was the emperor. They'd have done themselves a favor by telling someone outside the order this before acting- but then again, we see again and again that Jedi aren't actually as smart as they want people to think they are.

Now, we know he got rid of the clonetroopers and not that long has passed since the end of the war and the rebellion. At the time of the original trilogy they 'would' have had training but I believe the explanation here is that the Empire at the time of the end of the clone wars and the Empire at the time of the start of the original trilogy is vastly different in size. Perhaps the trained Clone Troopers were simply elsewhere, defending and attacking contested planets rather than fighting rebellions in what the Empire really considered to be relatively stable systems.

In Rebels however the Clone Troopers in those mines are still alive so it has to have been less than 5 years since the Clone Wars ended. Either that or someone miscalculated how long these guys can live.

The Clone Material of Jango Fett being stolen is also from the animated series, a Sith that later gets betrayed by the Emperor steals it and is currently in an unknown location (Last seen on Coruscant)

Ehem. That's all, I think I addressed the points. Wookiepedia is your friend, they have many articles and just as many sources as I could get you if I spend a week gathering them. You'll have to take my word for it or go there to find the sources ;)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here